Eb Games sales -- Have they disappeared after merger?

sgs89

CAGiversary!
Ever since the Eb Games - Gamestop merger went through, it seems like ebgames.com has become more like gamestop.com. What do I mean? They don't offer the killer deals that they used to. Remember when ebgames.com would drop the price on a game to, say, 9.99 and then it would jump back up and go back and forth? That doesn't seem to happen anymore.

What happened to the good deals on ebgames.com and are they gone forever? Gamestop.com rarely, if ever, had good deals and that has not changed.

Short answer: Yes

I believe it was quoted a while ago that GameStop was the far more profitable of the two chains, and part of that was probably due to EB's sales. So I wouldn't expect GameStop to take on any part of EB's operations or policies that would affect the bottom line.

[quote name='botticus']Short answer: Yes

I believe it was quoted a while ago that GameStop was the far more profitable of the two chains, and part of that was probably due to EB's sales. So I wouldn't expect GameStop to take on any part of EB's operations or policies that would affect the bottom line.[/QUOTE]

If true, that is a real bummer. In the past several years, I took advantage of NUMEROUS deals on ebgames.com. Further evidence that the merger should not have been allowed to go through -- stifled competition in the game speciality store market.

Someone else will step up and hurt ebgames/gamestop. Now that game companies are getting the real big whiff that used products are severally hurting the industry , i can see it going several ways :

1) Extreme Price hikes on new products
2) Less dropping of prices on games to push product and take what they can
3) counter measures to prevent playing the games on other systems, like sony is trying.

[quote name='botticus']Short answer: Yes

I believe it was quoted a while ago that GameStop was the far more profitable of the two chains, and part of that was probably due to EB's sales. So I wouldn't expect GameStop to take on any part of EB's operations or policies that would affect the bottom line.[/QUOTE]

I heard the opposite. I thought that EB was the more profitable of the 2.

[quote name='schuerm26']I heard the opposite. I thought that EB was the more profitable of the 2.[/QUOTE]

EB is probably bringing in more volume but the profit margins are most likely lower since they are selling more product as a lower cost.

EB was bigger and had more stores, but were probably less profitable due to having more stores, higher pay for employees, more sales, etc.

Although it's great for us cheap asses, I kinda feel bad when I think about how big EB/GS will become, and the heavy influence on pushing used games to customers. Great for them, but think about how many lost sales the publishers will see?

It does seem like the awesome EB deals are gone, the last amazing deal was I think Polarium for $2.99 new online back in the fall

I just hope the EB website stays, but adds the store locator/stock from Gamestop.

CAG15, CAG16, SAVER, HB20, Edge Card.

Gamestop, only offers single coupon on each purchase, worst online shopping cart ever!

The really sad casualty is the death of the trade-in deals. For about 18 months there was a constant string of tradein 5 (or 4) PO games and get a free $50 game. I was a bastard and returned said game for credit. Turning $5 games into $10 in EB credit became my hobby and now that era is over.

RIP

bread's done
Back