EB/Gamestop Winnipeg changes trade rules (WORSE)

ikariwarriors

CAGiversary!
A heads-up to anyone in the Winnipeg area that usually trades in games to EB Games or Gamestop: the company has revised their trading rules for the worse so that every individual game traded in has to be put towards an individual game.

For example, I brought in four older games worth about 2-5 bucks each, and was told that I had to use the trade credit to buy FOUR DIFFERENT new or used games. You CANNOT pool credit anymore, and they WILL NOT put it on an Edge card for you. And for the record, that means there are no more "Trade 3" deals here.

Combined with the fact that Futureshop/BestBuy don't deal in used games here, I bet that a lot more used games willbe going to Microplay, classified ads, or the pawn shops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the backstock of a million wothless games is starting to get to them. Does makes services like Goozex sound more appealing.

It is because of a City of Winnipeg By-Law that they have to do this. PNPGames does it as well, but gets around it by giving you worthless 2 cent games along with the purchase you actually want.

[quote name='Skardee']http://gasbanditry.com/twg163/pictu...ters/ideas-groundbreaking-artificial-anus.jpg[/QUOTE]

ideas-groundbreaking-artificial-anus.jpg

Just so no one has to click the link ;)

[quote name='ikariwarriors']A heads-up to anyone in the Winnipeg area that usually trades in games to EB Games or Gamestop: the company has revised their trading rules for the worse so that every individual game traded in has to be put towards an individual game.

For example, I brought in four older games worth about 2-5 bucks each, and was told that I had to use the trade credit to buy FOUR DIFFERENT new or used games. You CANNOT pool credit anymore, and they WILL NOT put it on an Edge card for you. And for the record, that means there are no more "Trade 3" deals here.

Combined with the fact that Blockbuster and Futureshop/BestBuy don't deal in used games here, I bet that a lot more used games willbe going to Microplay, classified ads, or the pawn shops.[/QUOTE]

Wow lol have your stories mixed up do you? haha Well to let you know that the reason why EBGames/PNP Games have this rule is cause of a Winnipeg Bi-Law cause they are trying to figure out what kind of stores they are labled as and are trying to reduce game theft(dunno how that exactly works...)

Also Blockbuster doesn't deal in used games? I get the feeling you don't live well, on Earth. Cause every Blockbuster I've been too(and I've been to pretty much every one in Winnipeg(trying to find certain older games) and they ALL deal in used games and take trade ins, do pre-orders etc. I just recently traded in 3 games to the Blockbuster on Regent for God of War 3 that I pre-ordered.(Seems the bi-law doesnt apply to them) So yeah....stop worrying so much.

[quote name='ikariwarriors']A heads-up to anyone in the Winnipeg area that usually trades in games to EB Games or Gamestop: the company has revised their trading rules for the worse so that every individual game traded in has to be put towards an individual game.

Combined with the fact that Blockbuster and Futureshop/BestBuy don't deal in used games here, I bet that a lot more used games willbe going to Microplay, classified ads, or the pawn shops.[/QUOTE]
that sounds absurd!

Yup way to go Winnipeg this is totally the way to deal with criminals stealing merchandise just stop everyone from being able to trade in games. Maybe next instead of arresting and prosecuting the individuals who steal cars they could just force everyone to put imobilzers on their cars if they are a particular model that is at a higher risk of theft.

[quote name='Hakken']Wow lol have your stories mixed up do you? haha Well to let you know that the reason why EBGames/PNP Games have this rule is cause of a Winnipeg Bi-Law cause they are trying to figure out what kind of stores they are labled as and are trying to reduce game theft(dunno how that exactly works...)[/quote]

"stories mixed up"? I have no idea what you even mean by that; what "stories"?. Go into EB Games/Gamestop and try to trade, and you'll get the same situation I did, I'm sure.

The bi-law isn't new. It's been around for years now, but this is the first I've seen EB Games start this new "one for one" program and it hadn't been mentioned on these forums so I brought it up as a warning. There was really no reason to put me down as you did.

[quote name='ikariwarriors']"stories mixed up"? I have no idea what you even mean by that; what "stories"?. Go into EB Games/Gamestop and try to trade, and you'll get the same situation I did, I'm sure.

The bi-law isn't new. It's been around for years now, but this is the first I've seen EB Games start this new "one for one" program and it hadn't been mentioned on these forums so I brought it up as a warning. There was really no reason to put me down as you did.[/QUOTE]

This "single game trade" rule was implemented just a month ago. The bylaw is just about 2 years old now.

The bylaw was apparently implemented to reduce the amount of stolen merchandise (be it games, electronic, razors, movies... etc...) being sold at pawn shops, was a big problem with Winnipeg pawn shops. Unfortunately EB/GS/BBV fell into this category for trades as well so the rule games for games was implemented.

The whole single trade for single game was only implemented because rumours from EB/GS said PNPgames filed a complaint to the City of Winnipeg regarding trade policy at those companies being "unfair" for competition. I guess was to level the trading competition here in Winnipeg. Again thats the rumour I've heard from a few people.

Ohh well good thing I placed all my trades last year!!

Theres always Selkirk if you are really desperate to do some trades. Hope they bring powertrades back...

On another note there is a work around this trade one for one. All you have to do is cancel one pre-order and then put it into another pre-order. Too bad it completely elimintate the T3 and T2 promos available everywhere else in Canada.

[quote name='ikariwarriors']"stories mixed up"? I have no idea what you even mean by that; what "stories"?. Go into EB Games/Gamestop and try to trade, and you'll get the same situation I did, I'm sure.

The bi-law isn't new. It's been around for years now, but this is the first I've seen EB Games start this new "one for one" program and it hadn't been mentioned on these forums so I brought it up as a warning. There was really no reason to put me down as you did.[/QUOTE]

lol Trust me I go to EB Games often, so often that everyone that works at the one at KP knows me and acutally have a few on my Facebook + PS3 Friends lol. Yeah EB Games just started this, but as I stated, it seems that they don't know what EB Games is being labeled as a retail store or a pawn shop, as pawn shops take in used things, sell etc, but EB Games also does retail so yeah. Sorry didn't mean to put you down as I did, but just saying as it shouldn't be a big shock to most, and theres still ways to sell your used games, as I stated Blockbuster isn't effected by this rule as there a movie store and deal with rentals and used games but mainly rentals. Also going on Used Winnipeg is a great way to get rid of your used stuff as well. So was just saying, not the end of the world.

[quote name='shadow_nine']This "single game trade" rule was implemented just a month ago. The bylaw is just about 2 years old now.

The bylaw was apparently implemented to reduce the amount of stolen merchandise (be it games, electronic, razors, movies... etc...) being sold at pawn shops, was a big problem with Winnipeg pawn shops. Unfortunately EB/GS/BBV fell into this category for trades as well so the rule games for games was implemented.

The whole single trade for single game was only implemented because rumours from EB/GS said PNPgames filed a complaint to the City of Winnipeg regarding trade policy at those companies being "unfair" for competition. I guess was to level the trading competition here in Winnipeg. Again thats the rumour I've heard from a few people.

Ohh well good thing I placed all my trades last year!!

Theres always Selkirk if you are really desperate to do some trades. Hope they bring powertrades back...

On another note there is a work around this trade one for one. All you have to do is cancel one pre-order and then put it into another pre-order. Too bad it completely elimintate the T3 and T2 promos available everywhere else in Canada.[/QUOTE]

Exactly this. It is not the end of the world, Blockbuster have no 1 for 1 in trading games, trade as many as you like to them, also theres places like UsedWinnipeg as well. I also took advantage of putting stuff over from others. Resonance of Fate had a +50% TiV for it. Traded a game, got $55 for it, put it all towards Final Fantasy XIII, rinse and repeat, got Resonance of Fate as well which was great cause i barely paid anything for both. Also the EB Games I go to the people know me well, so well I have some of them on my facebook and on my PS3 friends list :p So there are ways to loop around this, no reason to freak out.

[quote name='Hakken']...Blockbuster have no 1 for 1 in trading games...[/QUOTE]

Is this in Winnipeg?? I went to Rogers and they didn't do any game trading at all.. I've never gone to BB but assumed they were under the same BS law.. if they're not, I will start taking my games there.

As I stated before, you can trade as many games as you like at Blockbuster, recently was when I traded in 3 games for God of War 3.

If PnP Games, Futureshop/BestBuy and EB/Gamestop are affected by this "one-for-one" trade system, and yet stores such as Blockbuster and Microplay are not, I'm going to guess that it's because BBV and Microplay also do rentals and don't count as the same kind of store that the others do.

bread's done
Back