EB/GS Flyer - Dec 4-11

Jbently

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Saw the newest flyer from EB while picking up a couple games today, some pretty good sales on the front page.

Left 4 Dead 2: $44.99 (360) / $29.99 (PC)
Dragon Age: $44.99 (360/PS3) / $34.99 (PC)
NHL 10: $44.99 (360/PS3)
Need For Speed: Shift: $44.99 (360/PS3)
EA Sports Active Wii: $39.99
EA Sports Active More Workouts: $29.99
Fight Night Round 4: $29.99 (360/PS3)
Need For Speed Nitro Wii: $42.99
The Sims 3 PC: $32.99
UFC 2009 Undisputed: $44.99 (360/PS3)

Everything else looks like regular price.

Listed T3 titles include Mafia II, Red Dead Redemption, Dark Void, M.A.G., Mass Effect 2, Darksiders.

edit: fixed a couple of typos, I shouldn't be drinking and posting :D

Last edited by a moderator:
why would the pc versions of the first 2 games on the list be different than the 360 version? especially left4dead2, $15 bucks is a big difference. i can understand how wii/ps2 versions of games are cheaper than 360/ps3, because 360/ps3 versions are usually superior, but pc is arguably a superior platform ;)

[quote name='bloodwings']why would the pc versions of the first 2 games on the list be different than the 360 version? especially left4dead2, $15 bucks is a big difference. i can understand how wii/ps2 versions of games are cheaper than 360/ps3, because 360/ps3 versions are usually superior, but pc is arguably a superior platform ;)[/QUOTE]
Console games are usually more expensive than PC games because of the console licensing fee.

[quote name='Jbently']
UFC 2009 Undisputed: $44.99 (360/Wii)

[/QUOTE]

It's released on Wii?! Either that or I'm assuming you meant PS3...please tell me it's the former and not the latter.

[quote name='bloodwings']why would the pc versions of the first 2 games on the list be different than the 360 version? especially left4dead2, $15 bucks is a big difference. i can understand how wii/ps2 versions of games are cheaper than 360/ps3, because 360/ps3 versions are usually superior, but pc is arguably a superior platform ;)[/QUOTE]
There's no argument; PC is superiour to home consoles in terms of performance and gaming ability. It only pales in comparison when console specific devs do assy upports from console to PC.

But either way, as the guy above me said, it's due to consoles having licensing fees whereas PCs don't or have a much smaller fee. Also, boxed PC games also have to compete against direct download alternatives which is quickly replacing traditional boxes.

Damn prices are dropping like crazy this winter. I think this may be some strategy by EA to really capitalize on the shitty economy and people not willing to spend $70 on a new game. I like it.

Yeah PC versions are the way to go if you can run it (I dunno some people have ancient PII rigs and complain about PC gaming's high cost). Mods alone are worth, plus superior support from devs (Team Fortress 2 being the best example) and undying support from the fans (which makes for dedicated servers, mods, hands-on admins etc).

[quote name='Fuzzy']Console games are usually more expensive than PC games because of the console licensing fee.[/QUOTE]

Really? Is it that expensive though?

[quote name='TheBigBoi']It's released on Wii?! Either that or I'm assuming you meant PS3...please tell me it's the former and not the latter.[/QUOTE]

Wii version confirmed!

Bollocks I bought L4D2 PC at FutureShop yesterday, didn't think I'd see it cheaper for a while.
Question: if I bring a flyer in before the EB sale date, would FutureShop PM it after the fact that I purchased it? Does this sound too wacky?

Buy the new copy at EB, then use the receipt from your FutureShop purchase to return the new, sealed L4D2 that you got from EB. It'll be like you paid for the EB one only. Right?

or he could just show them the flyer. FS will pricematch anything within 30 days of purchase. Worst comes to worst you do that he says, but that shouldn't be necessary

[quote name='kathos']
Really? Is it that expensive though?
[/QUOTE]

It's partly the console licensing fee, but it's also a lot easier to pirate on the PC then the 360. They'd rather get some money out of you then none so that explains the rest of the price difference.

[quote name='doasinfinity67']Buy the new copy at EB, then use the receipt from your FutureShop purchase to return the new, sealed L4D2 that you got from EB. It'll be like you paid for the EB one only. Right?[/QUOTE]

Ah, but how do I know it will be a sealed copy at EB? Don't they also gut their PC games? It's been a while since I bought a new PC game there, but I would assume it's gutted since it's EB...

Really, what I'm asking is can I get price protection for something going on sale in the near future. Anyone ever try?

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Bollocks I bought L4D2 PC at FutureShop yesterday, didn't think I'd see it cheaper for a while.
Question: if I bring a flyer in before the EB sale date, would FutureShop PM it after the fact that I purchased it? Does this sound too wacky?[/QUOTE]

Walmart does this so I imagine futureshop would too.

I just checked:

3 great reasons to buy at Future Shop.

1. 1) If you find a lower advertised price we will beat it by 10% of the difference.
    2) If you find a lower advertised price within 30 days* of your purchase we
    will beat it by 10% of the difference.
    3) If our own price is reduced within 30 days* of your purchase, bring in your
    receipt and we will refund the difference.

I think rule #2 qualifies for what you're asking so you should be fine just bringing in the flyer to futureshop to get it matched plus they will beat the price by 10%.

Here is a link to their policies:
http://www.futureshop.ca/informationcentre/en/onlinepolicies.asp?logon=L&langid=EN#01

Last edited by a moderator:
Do US Gamestop stores usually have the same deals as Canada? I'd love to be able to use GS credit to pick up Dragon Age on PC next week...

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Bollocks I bought L4D2 PC at FutureShop yesterday, didn't think I'd see it cheaper for a while.
Question: if I bring a flyer in before the EB sale date, would FutureShop PM it after the fact that I purchased it? Does this sound too wacky?[/QUOTE]

Yeah you can, just take the flyer over there and they should match it up.

[quote name='Jbently']You should get 10% of the difference too![/QUOTE]

In his case it's like an extra dollar, with the piss poor track record FS has with honoring these he might have problems just getting the damn thing approved. I wouldn't push the dollar Cthulhu8u, it's a dollar.

[quote name='neksus']FS has a pretty good price-protection policy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, when it works.

[quote name='Littleberu']29.99 seems like an awesome price for L4D2!!!

Bought! Confirmed! :p[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

[quote name='Afrodiziak']Damn prices are dropping like crazy this winter. I think this may be some strategy by EA to really capitalize on the shitty economy and people not willing to spend $70 on a new game. I like it.[/QUOTE]

I'm loving the $40 EA games. I think they've learned from last year with the copies of Dead Space and Mirrors edge sitting on the self and having to fire sale them in the summer. Make them $40 before Christmas get the sales. They have met us cheap gamers half way. They know we'll buy their good games at $20-$30 offer us $40 when the games are still fresh I'll buy it.. I hope NPD numbers are high for EA and this puts a lot of pressure on the other publishers maybe we'll see lower prices in a few more weeks. This really makes $129.99 Tony Hawk Ride look even more ridiculous :p

Yup.. I hope other publishers see how well games sell for $40. I mean look back at Batman, people were so excited to see it at $40 at walmart I'm sure the additional sales made up for the lower cost. Same with Borderlands. Of course, the problem is if all games come out at $40 we'll become too jaded and will wait for $20...

This is really smart of EA, for all the reasons mentioned above and because they know that they will make money off the DLC as well. Especially Dragon Age: Origins.

I think a business model in which the initial price point of a game is lower, when they also offer DLC is far more promising.

Anyway I've been waiting for DAO to drop in price at EB, so this is perfect (gotta make that last bit of trade in credit count). Thanks op!

[quote name='TripleQ'] Of course, the problem is if all games come out at $40 we'll become too jaded and will wait for $20...[/QUOTE]

I'm sure Activision will try and keep games up at higher prices so most of us won't become jaded....see: Tony Hawk Ride. :D

ya i love these promotions...although I took advantage of this sale (futureshop/bestbuy) and picked up brutal legend (I had already picked up Dragon Age at full price...well worth it as i'm on my 3rd playthrough anyway) I really wish more dev's besides EA would do this

i still can't justify paying $40 for L4D2 sadly or i'd have picked that one up too

[quote name='Princess Zelda']... I hope NPD numbers are high for EA and this puts a lot of pressure on the other publishers maybe we'll see lower prices in a few more weeks. This really makes $129.99 Tony Hawk Ride look even more is ridiculous :p[/QUOTE]

Fixed, and:

[quote name='TripleQ']Yup.. I hope other publishers see how well games sell for $40. I mean look back at Batman, people were so excited to see it at $40 at walmart I'm sure the additional sales made up for the lower cost. Same with Borderlands. Of course, the problem is if all games come out at $40 we'll become too jaded and will wait for $20...[/QUOTE]

But that's the problem innit? Sure we want games to be $40, but that's because you guys (and many other) either: don't have an income, have one that won't support $70 or are just purely cheap on principle. But at $40 games, can companies really sustain themselves? Big names like Batman and new IPs need lots of money to start up or license and the marketing to get the name OUT there, it's an expensive venture.

Also the $40 thing (Batman and Borderlands) is with the retailers themselves, the loss leader wasn't the publisher's idea (it might have been we don't know that). We can cry wolf and yell rip off as much as we want to but really, if you did $70 worth of work, wouldn't you rather get paid $70 instead of $40?

Now I'm glad games are going down the $40 for the time being, it's nice that people who otherwise couldn't afford it can enjoy the same experiences as the rest of us. Gaming should be available to everyone of course.

All I'm saying is, if anyone should be losing money it's the retailers, not the guys and gals who work day and night to provide us with such gems as Dragon Age: Origins and *snicker* Turning Point.

Also $20 Halo 4 or $20 MW3? A dream too far away.

[quote name='imcrazy']This is really smart of EA, for all the reasons mentioned above and because they know that they will make money off the DLC as well. Especially Dragon Age: Origins.

I think a business model in which the initial price point of a game is lower, when they also offer DLC is far more promising. [/QUOTE]

Yes, THANK YOU, finally, someone who's not just crying out "OMGZ CHEP GAMEZ NOW OR LUSS MA BUSINESS LALAWLAWLAWLAWLAW".

That business model (ex: $40 game with DLC priced around $.99-$14.99+ depending on the content) makes way more sense than "let's price our games super low, and lose money just for fun!" and since it's a business and made to take our money it could encourage them to release more DLC (with less technical problems, ex: Fallout 3) to lengthen gameplay and keep taking out money!

[quote name='Jbently']I'm sure Activision will try and keep games up at higher prices so most of us won't become jaded....see: Tony Hawk Ride SUCKS. :D[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

[quote name='kyle071785']... i still can't justify paying $40 for L4D2 sadly or i'd have picked that one up too[/QUOTE]

L4D2 will be $19.99 or even lower on Steam within a year or so, I know it's bad but same deal with me, I can't justify an even 30% off purchase of L4D2. I rented L4D2 for my brother on the 360 and he's already finished the campaigns and burning through survival and crap with his friends. I can wait ~_~ I have enough back log.

[quote name='Everyone in the history of the internet']Tony Hawk: Ride is the biggest waste of anyone's fucking time. Ever.[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

Kathos, I agree mostly with what you've said, although I'm not sure that a business model that sells games for $40, or perhaps $50 isn't sustainable. Maybe I'm being cheap, but I think there is a huge difference between $70 and $40. Stepping into the shoes of a regular gamer (i.e. non cheap-ass trader/hoarder), $70 would really make make me pause carefully consider each purchase. $40 is getting closer to something I can pick up without too much thought.

I believe another side effect would be killing off a lot of the used game market... fewer people would be trading in to afford the big $70 release, and used game buyers would be able to afford new copies much sooner. More new games sales = better profits for the developer.

But who am I to guess.. I'm sure EA and Activision has legions of MBAs working on this sort of stuff.

Speaking of wastes of money, I've seen stacks of DJ Hero renegade editions at pretty much every BBV I've been to, even the non-game rush locations. I don't know who thought they'd be able to move so many $209 pieces of plastic.

Oh, while we're off topic now, I also saw a pile (8 units) or Halo 3 Legendary editions for $80 at a local Zellers. PM me if you're looking for this ultra rare collectible piece of history! :p

[quote name='TripleQ']
... I'm sure EA and Activision has legions of MBAs working on this sort of stuff.

Speaking of wastes of money, ...[/QUOTE]

Heh heh ... love the segue!

[quote name='game_fanatic']That's mind-boggling! The game came out like two weeks ago![/QUOTE]

Especially since the game sold like 2 Million copies. It's a success not a failure. Oh well, I am sure people that paid $69.99 day one are going to be thrilled with this.

Also thrilled will be those who felt it's just an add-on. The new price would pretty much justify that.

Went to pick up the flyer at EB on Queen street on my way home, they said they didn't have it until Friday. On a whim I went to the Weston/Hwy 7 one after and of course they gladly gave me one. Geez I hate that Queen street EB, I always feel screwed over whenever I go there :bomb:

Ugh, tried moving an AC2 preorder I never used to get ME2 and they weren't honoring it as a T3. Of course they didn't have a flyer either, gonna have to go back next week.

kathos, the cost of manufacturing a game is almost nothing. The cost of developing obviously is. As long as the increased sales at $40 can match the sales a $70, then that's the route a publisher should be taking. It makes much more sense. Not to mention a larger installbase for the DLC.

Also, I'm very sure that the $40 pricing was an agreement between Publisher and Retailer. Not the price matches, but yeah, Borderlands and Batman were almost definitely agreements.

Do you know what I just realized Borderlands and Batman had in common? GameStop specific versions with pre-order bonuses packaged inside. (i.e. different UPC and cover art). And I believe those were the only two recent ones with that kind of promo. Think Walmart was taking a shot at Gamestop?

[quote name='TripleQ']Do you know what I just realized Borderlands and Batman had in common? GameStop specific versions with pre-order bonuses packaged inside. (i.e. different UPC and cover art). And I believe those were the only two recent ones with that kind of promo. Think Walmart was taking a shot at Gamestop?[/QUOTE]

Thats true but Walmart had thier own exclusive version aswell, of Batman atleast

bread's done
Back