EB Question - Returning an item purchased on a Trade for New Release Promo

andsoitgoes

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey all - question for you...

I wanted to do the trade X for whatever promotions and I was told, incorrectly, that it might apply to "Little Big Planet", of course when going back to EB saying I wanted to do this, I was told in no uncertain terms that, no, that isn't the case.

Sigh. I'm not surprised, but whatever.

That said, if I was to purchase a new release title, or do a pre-order, what happens when I return the title? Do they just credit the edge card? I've heard a few people say that they give a credit but that it has to be for another "new release"

I figure that's the case, but can anyone verify that?

Thanks much!

**also - anyone have suggestions on new releases on any console? I was thinking Left 4 Dead but I don't know if any people I know will get it, but I am a fan of stuff like Mass Effect, Gears, etc - so any thoughts/suggestions would be awesome :)

[quote name='andsoitgoes']Hey all - question for you...

I wanted to do the trade X for whatever promotions and I was told, incorrectly, that it might apply to "Little Big Planet", of course when going back to EB saying I wanted to do this, I was told in no uncertain terms that, no, that isn't the case.

Sigh. I'm not surprised, but whatever.

That said, if I was to purchase a new release title, or do a pre-order, what happens when I return the title? Do they just credit the edge card? I've heard a few people say that they give a credit but that it has to be for another "new release"

I figure that's the case, but can anyone verify that?

Thanks much![/quote]

i preordered call of duty 5 using the trade 3 deal and asked if i could switch my preorder in a few days if i changed my mind. i was told that i could but it'd have to be for another trade 3 promo title.

i also did the same w/ smackdown vs raw 2009. smackdown qualified for the 'gaming gaurantee' that allows you to trade it in for full credit for up to a week. i never planned on opening it, so i brought it back, sealed with the receipt and the guy said since it was sealed he'd just refund my money (as opposed to doing a trade in). because it was purchased as a trade 3 deal, he gave me the 59.99 + tax on a gift card. he said the computer would not let him put it on an edge card, or my debit card obviously. so basically, to answer your question, i think if it's sealed and you have the receipt, you can get the full value credited to a gift card if you used the trade 3. if you trade in a game (for example, if i'd have opened smackdown), the money would go on the edge card.

i'm sure someone who works at eb can explain it better and say whether or not there's a formal rule, but those were my experiences last week.

Hmm - thanks, based on what you're saying with CoD it sounds like that it would have to keep with the promotion, it seems pretty formal.

I'm going to go over today and try to resolve the situation with Animal Crossing to get my points card + Wii Speak, so I'd like to have something in my arsenal. I'll probably just do the deal with Left 4 Dead and deal with returning it if need be.

Shame that all the REALLY good games are gone. Need to figure out why they didn't give an edge card with my Gears purchase, too.

It all depends on who you deal with. Getting back credits is YMMV.

But then there's "return in 1 week and you get full price in credit back" promos all the time. Swap your preorder to it and you should be good if you want credits. WWE2009 was the last one and I believe Lord of the Rings: The Conquest is the next title. Again, this is YMMV as this is coming out in January.

ALL November releases
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5049992&postcount=18

The Left for Dead demo is on the 360 download If you want to try it before buying. It's even open now for the silver users.

At my EB, they let me cancel pre-orders on Trade 3 games and put them towards purchases.

Just do the Trade 3 for, say, Prince of Persia, then come back the next day or so and get LittleBigPlanet (or any other game) and tell them you have a pre-order and that you want to cancel it to put towards LBP.

Any left over credit will go on an EDGE card, stay with your current pre-order, or can be moved to a new pre-order.

This may be YMMV, but I've never had a problem.

also, don't know if anyone posted this tip, but: if you get it through trade 3, get a gift receipt. It'll say how much was paid for it, but won't say it was through a trade 3 deal. Always works for me if I do that.

At my (excellent) EB that I tend to gravitate towards (Cloverdale in Etobicoke), if I do the trade-3-for-1 for a game and I end up not wanting it I can return it (UNOPENED/WITH RECEIPT, which really, isn't asking for much) for an exchange on a game similar price (any difference will be deducted/added to my EDGE card).

Only once have I ever wanted the credit put into my EDGE card from that, they had no problem with it (I just wanted to top it up).

I think this is another case of a crappy EB =\ you just have to find a good one in the area, I'm just lucky there's three around mine (two of 'em suck ass though).

[quote name='neksus']If you like(d) Bioshock at all pick up Fallout 3 :p[/QUOTE]

I still love Bioshock, but I tought Oblivion was one of the crappiest game experiences I've had. Bethesda, to me, gets no love. None.

anyway, walked in that evening and got a few 15 yr old kids, they didn't even flinch and handed me Little Big Planet + the T-shirt.

works for me!

Yeah it really depends I think. One time I traded in about 7 games on the same receipt and 3 of them got bumped up to $20 for a trade in 3, but I think because it was all on the same receipt and it wasn't obvious that it was a T3 (I guess he didn't see the $19.99) that he didn't notice it and I asked for the credit on a card and I had $59.99 on an Edge card! I bought Skate and Eternal Sonata at another EB with it :)

bread's done
Back