Ebay 2011 Spring Seller Update

I noticed the fact Final Value Fees would now include shipping costs. Shipping has been a huge issue on eBay with DSRs and tons of people trying to take advantage of shipping cost loopholes and listing in wrong categories, etc. While I don't really like the change it is better than having shipping cost abused so often.

Due to the stupid shipping DSRs I list pretty much everything with free shipping. Buyers are spoiled by places like Amazon who get great shipping rates due to volume.

Thanks for pointing out the lower FVF fees. I didn't notice that when I read the e-mail from eBay. They were outrageous before and yet I'm very surprised they were lowered. FVF only down 13% from 15% for fixed price video game listings but that adds up. http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/feeupdate2011.html#fc2

eBay actually making good changes for once! I am shocked.

The one change eBay desperately needs to make is though is to increase the discount for top rated sellers. A bump up to 40-50% off would make selling on eBay much easier and I'm sure would get eBay a lot more high volume sellers.

Looks like it will increase fees for anything $25 or less
$10 game + $4 shipping at 15% FVF with no fee on shipping = $1.50 FVF
$10 game + $4 shipping at 13% with fee on total amount = $1.82 FVF

$20 game + $4 shipping at 15% FVF with no fee on shipping = $3 FVF
$20 game+ $4 shipping at 13% with fee on total amount = $3.12 FVF

[quote name='nddave']This is an update coming to all sellers on ebay effective april 19

Final Value Fees raised due to INCLUDE SHIPPING (no shipping cost loophole)[/QUOTE]

This is awesome and should have happened a long time ago.

Here is more info.

BTW...your thread title isn't very informative...

While I am still happy this will lower my fees and hopefully reduce bogus shipping charges on eBay, I see a ton of people are upset about this. This really does screw over people who regularly have items that are very expensive to ship. This could easily double some sellers fees or worse if it costs them as much to ship an item as it is actually worth.

[quote name='aem']While I am still happy this will lower my fees and hopefully reduce bogus shipping charges on eBay, I see a ton of people are upset about this. This really does screw over people who regularly have items that are very expensive to ship. This could easily double some sellers fees or worse if it costs them as much to ship an item as it is actually worth.[/QUOTE]

I cannot see how this is good for sellers in any way. What about bigger items, like a Beatles Rock Band LE that cost me $18 in shipping last month to cross 4 states. Now Ebay is going to take a 13% cut? I have been using accurately calculated shipping for a while - because I am not trying to make money off of shipping, but also do not think ebay should be taking a cut either. The Post Office already does that every Summer when they increase their rates.

It will also be worse for the buyers. The people who abuse shipping costs will just increase their prices, and sometimes, they are the only ones with the items you want.

When I buy an item, I just look at the total. It is just like buying a car. I don't care if you give me an extra $500 on the trade in, or off the top price - either way, I am paying $500 less (for example) - so it only hurt the sellers.

[quote name='sassylaurie']I cannot see how this is good for sellers in any way. What about bigger items, like a Beatles Rock Band LE that cost me $18 in shipping last month to cross 4 states. Now Ebay is going to take a 13% cut? I have been using accurately calculated shipping for a while - because I am not trying to make money off of shipping, but also do not think ebay should be taking a cut either. The Post Office already does that every Summer when they increase their rates.

It will also be worse for the buyers. The people who abuse shipping costs will just increase their prices, and sometimes, they are the only ones with the items you want.

When I buy an item, I just look at the total. It is just like buying a car. I don't care if you give me an extra $500 on the trade in, or off the top price - either way, I am paying $500 less (for example) - so it only hurt the sellers.[/QUOTE]

First of all unless your Beatles Rock Band LE sold really low the extra fee on top of shipping will mostly be offset by the $2% drop in FVF. Also it wouldn't be 13% on the shipping because 13% only applies to the first $50 of the sale price. So assuming it sold for at least $50 it would only be a 6% on the $18 for shipping.

And when I am talking about it helping get rid of sellers who have bogus shipping charges I'm talking about the ones who have a BIN from of like $1 with $50 shipping when it only costs a few dollars to ship. This happens ALL the time. And what is worse since eBay has max shipping rates for certain categories sellers list stuff in the wrong category to get away with charging their absurd shipping rates. This problem is really bad on eBay right now especially with video games.

This will be lowering my fees a bit since I mostly just sell video games through eBay. Video games are cheap to ship and I always list them with free shipping. Granted my main reason for this is to keep up my shipping cost DSR since buyers these days are spoiled by free or very low cost shipping from major online retailers who get really discounted shipping rates due to volume. But a large percentage of buyers like to see free or very cheap shipping and it helps sellers draw in more buyers.

[quote name='Muthafodder']This is awesome and should have happened a long time ago.

Here is more info.

BTW...your thread title isn't very informative...[/QUOTE]

Its as informative as it needs to be.

Ive listed the major changes and incluced the link to ALL THE CHANGES.

If you go to that page it has links on it to the left and you can view overview, Fees, Changes, Faqs of changes.

bread's done
Back