Ebay Buyer dispute scam?

frpilot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
So i sold a brand new factory sealed copy of Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition for Xbox 360 about a month ago. As you all know, the dlc is a one time redeemable download token.

Well, recently the buyer messages me claiming that he redeemed and downloaded the content. He also states that while playing a section of the game, it freezes and says disc is not readable. he says there are imperfections (a faint cloud? wtf is that) on the disc so he is looking for a refund/exchange to fix the problem. he also opened up a case.

what can i do? i know there is a bug where if you d/l the dlc and the free statues that it freezes. maybe i could suggest that? i really think he beat the game or just wanted the dlc. i could offer a partial refund, but i think he wants everything back. am i being scammed?

Resident Evil 5 is prone to freeze a LOT on older model Xbox360's, primarily, the Xbox360 Elite... I have tested the game on 3 Arcade 360's and it did not freeze once. I have tested the game on 3 other Xbox360 types, and it did freeze.

As for the "Cloud" on the disc, it is something that can be seen on some game discs. Some people will shine light on an angle to find scratches, but a "cloud" can be seen. Let's see... How can I explain this? Look at the disc and see if the entire disc looks the same. Some discs you look at will have a slight distortion on the surface. Like I said before though, it shouldn't affect game play. I have had a pristine copy of Resident Evil 5 and one with the "Cloud"... They worked the exact same. Froze at the same spot and everything.

By the way, my testings were both across the same 6 consoles with both copies of the game.

List of things you should do.
-- Find out what type of Xbox360 he has and how old it is... He might have a faulty 360.
-- Ask him if his Xbox360 saves the game as "Biohazard 5" or "Resident Evil 5"
-- Find out if the Resident Evil 5 he has is the proper format for his Xbox360 (NTFS for North America, FAT for Europe, etc)
-- Find out how many Achievements he has for the game on his GamerTag (A link to his GamerTag would be nice is possible)

Once you find these out, post back in here. (Although, I am 100% certain that it is his console)

Yeah shit tell him to fuck off.

I sold a used textbook on ebay once. About 3 months later, she files a claim saying the book had underlining in it. I told her to blow me and paypal agreed.

[quote name='Torazo'] List of things you should do.
-- Find out what type of Xbox360 he has and how old it is... He might have a faulty 360.
-- Ask him if his Xbox360 saves the game as "Biohazard 5" or "Resident Evil 5"
-- Find out if the Resident Evil 5 he has is the proper format for his Xbox360 (NTFS for North America, FAT for Europe, etc)
-- Find out how many Achievements he has for the game on his GamerTag (A link to his GamerTag would be nice is possible)

Once you find these out, post back in here. (Although, I am 100% certain that it is his console)[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't do any of this, it'll lead the buyer into thinking you will handle the issue, when it really shouldn't be your issue to begin with. You sold the game new/sealed, the buyer should realize that a manufacturing flaw isn't something you are responsible for. I would just politely say that you can't do a return since it has been opened but suggest he contact Capcom to have it resolved.

The KEY here is about a MONTH AGO!!
WTF!$#@
It took a month to come up with a cloud?
It took a month for imperfections.
Heh whatever!
With it being factory sealed i honestly think his claim is null/void

[quote name='nddave']The KEY here is about a MONTH AGO!!
WTF!$#@
[/QUOTE]

This is not so unusual as I have made purchases on ebay that I have not used for 2-4 weeks.

That said, you should easily win this. Just go through the dispute process. The only challenge would be if you have multiple negative feedback and/or past disputes filed against you.

WTF!$#@
Heh whatever!
With it being factory sealed i honestly think his claim is null/void[/QUOTE]

It's not too far of a stretch since the limit is 45 days to file a claim, so I can see it happening, but as far as if he has a case, there really is none since the game was indeed sold as Brand New Factory sealed, so really that buyer is just trying to get his money back now that he's done with it. So let's see how the new "eBay Buyer Protection" works out now.

WTF!$#@
Heh whatever!
With it being factory sealed i honestly think his claim is null/void[/QUOTE]

I opened up a laptop charger yesterday I bought on ebay. I bought it over 60 days ago. So no, it's not really unthinkable to take a month to even open it. I still have games I bought on ebay that I haven't done anything with other than put it on a shelf. Don't base anything on the time frame.

However, stores don't let people return opened software either...

[quote name='nateeasy29']
I sold a used textbook on ebay once. About 3 months later, she files a claim saying the book had underlining in it. I told her to blow me and paypal agreed.[/QUOTE]

Does ebay usually side with the seller if you are right? i thought buyers automatically win and ebay screws their sellers no matter what.

[quote name='frpilot']Does ebay usually side with the seller if you are right? i thought buyers automatically win and ebay screws their sellers no matter what.[/QUOTE]

One of the best things you can do is contact the dispute department yourself over the phone and talk to them through there to explain your situation better. I've had disputes filed on me before (and sometimes before it even gets filed), and I call up the department and give them every piece of info they need instead of doing it just through the dispute console, and I have never had a problem winning the disputes in my favor. I would just give them a call personally.

[quote name='Squarehard']One of the best things you can do is contact the dispute department yourself over the phone and talk to them through there to explain your situation better. I've had disputes filed on me before (and sometimes before it even gets filed), and I call up the department and give them every piece of info they need instead of doing it just through the dispute console, and I have never had a problem winning the disputes in my favor. I would just give them a call personally.[/QUOTE]

i didn't know that would work and i think it would be better if i can speak with a live person. thank you for the advice.

[quote name='frpilot']i didn't know that would work and i think it would be better if i can speak with a live person. thank you for the advice.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I always had issues doing things online and through the console, and on my first dispute I just got fed up on waiting for them to contact me about it, so I called in, spoke to their representatives, and they were very understanding and helpful, and 3 days later they closed the case in my favor, so I just started doing it this way instead of doing it online so it takes forever and it just feel so informal and hard to explain certain situations, especially since you're limited in your word responses.

[quote name='virtuouswing']

That said, you should easily win this. Just go through the dispute process. The only challenge would be if you have multiple negative feedback and/or past disputes filed against you.[/QUOTE]

would they take that into consideration? i have and 500+ positive feedback with no negatives 100% and am a power seller. i sell quite a bit of various things like computer parts, shoes, and what not, etc., but because of the volume i sell on ebay i also have quite a bit of disputes which have all been successfully resolved.

i usually work with buyers and even willing to lose a few dollars to keep people happy such as exchanging things, taking a loss with the original shipping and shipping another item out, and even paying for return shipping in the past. This latest ordeal just seems really fraudulent to me and more like i am being scammed.

There are some scammers out there, Last summer I sold a sealed PS3 to a buyer in Canada, problem with that is the buyer didnt know they had to pay customs. She sent me an email the day she got it saying she was unhappy she had to fork over $100 for customs and that I didnt say this, but thats not my problem as a seller, but the system worked greaT and was very happy with the games I had given her. About a week later she sends me an email saying she didnt appreciate the fact that I had sprayed semen all over the system and had placed pubic hairs on it as well. I checked her buyer profile and she had bought another ps3 from a Canadian seller and demanded I send her money back with the $$$ she spent in customs fees. Well I called paypal about this and they said if she sends the items back to you, you must refud her. 2 weeks later this ps3 gets sent back to my without instructions/blu ray disk, missing 2 of the 3 games i sent and basicallly looked like while in the box it had been run over by a semi-truck. So I had to take pictures of this and send them to Paypal, 3 weeks later Paypal sent me 75% of the money she paid for the system and the buyer got kicked off ebay for fraudulent use of ebay. People really do suck, and this buyer sounds like he wants something for nothing.

[quote name='eastshore4']I wouldn't do any of this, it'll lead the buyer into thinking you will handle the issue, when it really shouldn't be your issue to begin with. You sold the game new/sealed, the buyer should realize that a manufacturing flaw isn't something you are responsible for. I would just politely say that you can't do a return since it has been opened but suggest he contact Capcom to have it resolved.[/QUOTE]

I would do this... If you tell him to contact Capcom about it and he is indeed trying to scam you, then he most likely will contact PayPal about it before you get any knowledge about it. Act as if you are going to solve the issue by getting this information, if possible. Use as much information as you can to protect yourself. For all you know, he could claim it wasn't Factory Sealed, but you could also counter that by stating that he had a month to report this and the fact that he had already used a DLC code located within.

There are a lot of things you need to consider when these things happen. Just because you are in the right doesn't make you right in the eyes of a company unless you prove yourself.

If returns are accepted (from the seller) 99% of the time on Ebay its 7 days or less and in unopened returnable condition. NOT 7 DAYS FROM WHEN YOU OPEN IT.
Most retail places for electronics/video games/software are 30 days in unopened condition.
Thats my point
Not how long it can sit on YOUR SHELF till you decide to play it.

good point, and as far as i know, it is illegal for retail outlets to allow returns for opened media such as dvds, pc software, and video games (due to pirating?). they can only exchange it for the same item if it is defective.

bread's done
Back