ebay fees...

iNFiNiTE HORiZON

CAGiversary!
Feedback
95 (99%)
so i sold like maybe $300 worth of stuff on ebay over the past month... and I now apparently owe $80 in fees, is there no way to pay this in payments? do I really have to lose $80 of the money I've earned selling stuff all at once? :( I feel like these fees are way higher than they should be...

Yes, you have to pay. You pay eBay a percentage of the final value plus fees to list the items. Not sure how you got to $80 but I paid a good chunk of money to them when I sold a lot of stuff in the past.

Yeah $15 fee on a $100+ book i sold, $6 for a $60 game, etc. guess it added up some how, plus the $.50 listing fees. kinda sucks. I'm gonna have to stop selling on there, they're taking a good chunk of my profits

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']Yeah $15 fee on a $100+ book i sold, $6 for a $60 game, etc. guess it added up some how, plus the $.50 listing fees. kinda sucks. I'm gonna have to stop selling on there, they're taking a good chunk of my profits[/QUOTE]

Where else are you going to sell to such a wide audience?

Yeah ebay kinda sucks lately, I got charged 1.45 for an 15 dollar item that ended up having to be cancelled because the guy decided he didn't want it after he won.

[quote name='TheRobReport']Yeah ebay kinda sucks lately, I got charged 1.45 for an 15 dollar item that ended up having to be cancelled because the guy decided he didn't want it after he won.[/QUOTE]

You should have the closing fee refunded if the auction is cancelled, and you can typically relist it for free...

eBay fees are out of control, and keep going up with impugnity since they have no real competitors. I paid $400+ in fees for $1500+ in sales. :( What really hurts is that now they also charge a % fee on shipping charges--even when they limit what you can charge! So now, $4 limit on shipping for games (even if you sell a lot of multiple games in one auction), when shipping is more than that with required DC + eBay takes 8% of that. It's ridiculous, and I wish someone would take them down a notch. They keep raising fees AND make listing more restrictive.

BTW, yourleft hand... If you re-list an item, you are charged the fee again. The refund comes only after it is sold in a future transaction (and then only "maybe" because eBay does have rules for when it gets refunded, so it's not automatic).

You can set your shipping by weight and charge more than the limit.

You listing fee is never refunded, even if the transaction is canceled. Only FVF get refund

[quote name='soonersfan60']eBay fees are out of control, and keep going up with impugnity since they have no real competitors. I paid $400+ in fees for $1500+ in sales. :( What really hurts is that now they also charge a % fee on shipping charges--even when they limit what you can charge! So now, $4 limit on shipping for games (even if you sell a lot of multiple games in one auction), when shipping is more than that with required DC + eBay takes 8% of that. It's ridiculous, and I wish someone would take them down a notch. They keep raising fees AND make listing more restrictive.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, after they started charging a fee on the shipping you might as well offer free shipping and toss the shipping cost into the purchase price; at least that way you aren't restricted by the $4 limit shipping toggle.

[quote name='soonersfan60']eBay fees are out of control, and keep going up with impugnity since they have no real competitors. I paid $400+ in fees for $1500+ in sales. :( What really hurts is that now they also charge a % fee on shipping charges--even when they limit what you can charge! So now, $4 limit on shipping for games (even if you sell a lot of multiple games in one auction), when shipping is more than that with required DC + eBay takes 8% of that. It's ridiculous, and I wish someone would take them down a notch. They keep raising fees AND make listing more restrictive.[/QUOTE]

o_O? If you use the shipping wizard it calculates the exact shipping cost, granted the info that's input is correct. And you can also charge a handling fee on top of the shipping cost.

And I can understand them starting to charge on the shipping, as it means sellers are no longer able to overcharge on shipping and circumvent fees that honest sellers pay.

I stopped using eBay a long time ago for this very reason. They are almost as bad as Gamestop, just ripping off their users left and right because they can.

I use craigslist, ubid, and ebid primarily now.

They have been giving the 1st 50 listing with FREE listing fees and free Buy it Now. I was using more than that, so I just made up 2 accounts. My husband's (the new one) gets a hold on the funds, so I put the cheaper stuff on there and list the high priced things on mine.

Also depending on the item, it might not make sense to have the opening bid be anything other than $.99. You used to be able to save some on the fees that way.

I won't list my collectible stuff for $0.99 because it's such a crapshoot if 2 people happen to be watching at the same time (and are willing to bid!! I hate the 2 last minute snipers when the 2nd guy gets it for only $0.50 above minimum, and then 1st guy emails me to say he messed up or fell asleep or some excuse, begging me to sell it to him... but I digress).

Free shipping option doesn't work well because then international buyers complain.

The fees are crazy, almost 20% for fixed price with Paypal factored in. Add in the sellers who undercut each other and it makes it very difficult to sell on EBay

[quote name='YoshiFan1']The fees are crazy, almost 20% for fixed price with Paypal factored in. Add in the sellers who undercut each other and it makes it very difficult to sell on EBay[/QUOTE]

The only sellers who undercut each other are those selling mass produced/common items... with older/rarer video games, I've actually made out ok on eBay because so many sellers jack up their prices. One guy bought two old GB games from me for $30 and re-listed each one for $40. It's been two months, he still hasn't sold them. I can't say I mind because I was happy with what I got for them and if he does eventually sell them for that price, more power to him.

Their new fee system is a bit easier to figure out... FVFs are roughly 15%, including PP fees. So it's just the listing fee (rough 50 cents) plus the FVFs.

Of course, this is considering the fact that I've never had to deal with an idiot buyer and have to lose out on my money...

So you paid an average fee of 26.67% even when the highest they charge is 15% for the first $50? Bullshit.

[quote name='DarkRider23']So you paid an average fee of 26.67% even when the highest they charge is 15% for the first $50? Bullshit.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, what would it be if the OP/L took advantage of all the extra "services" like subtitle and photo gallery, etc? You can get raped on those for what, another $4+ per item if so inclined?

I have never had a problem with the shipping charge in the games category, I always use the shipping calculator and I have never had it limit me to just $4 shipping. I just put in the weight of the package and it calculates the shipping automatically.

I also never use BIN on games, I just set the game at the lowest price I will take for it and if no one buys it, it goes up again at the same price. If I want a higher price I set the item at the higher price, the trick is to wait for that one bid that gets placed on your higher priced items. I never list items at .99 because if it sells for that price then I lose money on the sale and have to give up the item.

The people selling mass produced electronics undercut each other but there are still ways to make money on ebay. Basically nothing sells here locally so ebay is my only option. I do take some of my games to the fleamarket because I get more there than I would make on ebay but the booth I go to runs out of cash fast probably for this very reason. I could go to other vendors for other things but I am limited by the amount of vendors there, if they want to buy from me and the types of merchandise sold.

I get the 50 free listings a month which encourages me to list more, I definitely make money but its harder to find low priced merchandise out in the wild that you can make a profit from.

[quote name='DarkRider23']So you paid an average fee of 26.67% even when the highest they charge is 15% for the first $50? Bullshit.[/QUOTE]

Last item I sold as Buy it now for $10 with a 10% final value fee, $0.60 for listing + picture and paypal fee (.85) cost me 24.5%.

The way ebay is currently set up really screws you if you sell cheap items since the base fees are so high.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Last item I sold as Buy it now for $10 with a 10% final value fee, $0.60 for listing + picture and paypal fee (.85) cost me 24.5%.

The way ebay is currently set up really screws you if you sell cheap items since the base fees are so high.[/QUOTE]

Yeah.. your better off trading on here or selling on here or craigslist... :)

Calling "bullshit" because you don't understand something... really?

No, I have to list 20 things to sell 5 for the price I want because I never know which items are going to sell. You think people sell 100% of the items they list? Add to that the fact that some things have to be listed multiple times to attract buyers (5 or 7 days is not enough, but I refuse to pay their higher BIN fees for longer fixed listings because people don't feel the urgency to buy), and the fees over the month add up. But as much as I hate the fees, I'd rather do that then sell stuff too cheaply. I price it right and eventually get what I want for it. In fact, sometimes I'll list something a few times before I finally get a couple of people fighting over it... or better yet, sell something after I raised the price on a re-list.

I think bay definitely has it's place and for some items it is still the best place to sell(collectors items mostly). For everything else, I use Craigslist or CAG.

[quote name='Dr. Pizza']Arent people selling on Amazon now a days instead of Ebay cause of this bullshit?[/QUOTE]

I hear Amazon is worse, 15% fee plus a transaction fee of around $1? And they supposedly favor the buyer worse than Paypal.

Yeah I'm switching to selling exclusively on here/craigslist, I'm not in a rush to move most of the things I'm selling anyways, and losing nearly 1/3rd of my profits is just too much. and it looks like I do indeed have to pay the $80 all at once instead of having an option to pay in payments, that sucks.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I hear Amazon is worse, 15% fee plus a transaction fee of around $1? And they supposedly favor the buyer worse than Paypal.[/QUOTE]

Yeah and you have to have a seller account in good standing, which means they expect every buyer to leave feedback after your transactions and none of the buyers do, which screws you. If you aren't keeping up your ratings they can ban you completely and if you get one negative they can ban you. Ebay rarely bans a longtime seller for just one negative. Last time I checked there was also a 99 cent fee to list each item on Amazon unless you pay for their monthly subscription. Ebay gives 50 free listings a month which is perfect for me because I usually list around that.

Though I tend to sometimes get good deals on Craigslist, I am not a big fan of it; especially since the majority of people you talk to flake just before you are about to make a deal, resulting in just wasted time.

[quote name='spiderman4657']Though I tend to sometimes get good deals on Craigslist, I am not a big fan of it; especially since the majority of people you talk to flake just before you are about to make a deal, resulting in just wasted time.[/QUOTE]

I agree buying on CL is easy enough but selling has way too many time wasters. Love it or hate it Ebay still is one of the fastest no bullshit ways to sell your items and they know it. Only advice I can give OP is when you sell on ebay pay your fees associated with the sale the minute you receive payment so it doesn't pile up like that.

They have a new promotion where you can list 50 items a month for free. This way you only pay final value fees (assuming you don't add any extras). In my experience, you should expect to pay in the ball park of 10% from eBay+paypal fees.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I hear Amazon is worse, 15% fee plus a transaction fee of around $1? And they supposedly favor the buyer worse than Paypal.[/QUOTE]

Amazon is much worse, especially when selling books/textbooks. Their final value closing fee is 15% instead of 13.5%, and they also give fixed prices in shipping credit. It's fine if you want to send through Media Mail, because then the flat rate of $3.99 might make you a few cents; if you actually want to send a textbook and have someone receive it on time, you're out another dollar for Priority Mail Flat Rate. I listed a $55 textbook that someone purchased, and my total fees were $10-11 including the extra for shipping.

On Amazon you can sell a number of games at higher prices and they're easier to list. I just sold a Dark Cloud 2 for $31 shipped, even after fees I end up with $24.60 shipped; try clearing that much on CAG or ebay.

Also in my experience, Amazon buyers in general are more docile and less claim-happy than on ebay...

[quote name='Blade']Amazon is much worse, especially when selling books/textbooks. Their final value closing fee is 15% instead of 13.5%, and they also give fixed prices in shipping credit. It's fine if you want to send through Media Mail, because then the flat rate of $3.99 might make you a few cents; if you actually want to send a textbook and have someone receive it on time, you're out another dollar for Priority Mail Flat Rate. I listed a $55 textbook that someone purchased, and my total fees were $10-11 including the extra for shipping.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes it's better to trade-in textbooks for credit, no fees and they pay for the shipping.

[quote name='Dr. Pizza']Arent people selling on Amazon now a days instead of Ebay cause of this bullshit?[/QUOTE]

Amazon is 1099ing you if you sell more than 50 items in a YEAR

[quote name='Yo Mama']Amazon is 1099ing you if you sell more than 50 items in a YEAR[/QUOTE]

Actually, they're only 1099ing you if you have more than 200 transactions AND sell over $20,000 worth of stuff in a year.

HOWEVER, if you sell over 50, you have to provide your TIN, but they don't actually report anything unless you do the $20k/200 thing.

Even with the fees, I've found that you clear a bit more with Amazon over some other outlets. If something's going for more on eBay, I use eBay. If something's higher on Amazon, I'll go on Amazon. It's crazy, the little collector Clow Book from the Cardcaptor Sakura anime was going for about $40 on eBay earlier this year when I scored an extra at a flea market, but on Amazon, I had the lowest price at $120. It sold in two days. You just pick which service benefits you the most. Sometimes it's Amazon or eBay, and sometimes it's CAG/GAF or even Gamestop.

bread's done
Back