Ebay fun

tiggerkiddo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
81 (100%)
Sooooo I just sold a used but working PS3 several days ago. I packaged it with thick layers of bubble wrapping, surrounded by even more bubble wraping so I figured it'd be pretty safe. Buyer contacts me today saying the PS3 was damaged, it had a crack on the bottom (where there was plenty of packaging), there are loose parts in it and that it won't play any games. Since it cost a pretty penny, I purchased insurance for it with USPS beforehand but I'm curious just what extra I might need for the claim and has anyone else had any experience in this situation (Probably).

Thanks

I'd ask for pictures from the buyer. Most of the time they will say they don't have a camera, if they are lying about damage trying to get a free PS3. Otherwise you are just going to have to file an insurance claim with USPS, but they will want to see images of damage (probably). Get the buyer to send back the broken PS3 to you. Make sure the serial number is the same as the one you sent, otherwise you have a bait and switch and should immediately contact eBay, paypal.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223'] Make sure the serial number is the same as the one you sent, otherwise you have a bait and switch and should immediately contact eBay, paypal.[/QUOTE]

This is now easily avoidable as people just open them up, and swap out the guts.

[quote name='Vinny']This is now easily avoidable as people just open them up, and swap out the guts.[/QUOTE]

True, but some people are stupid enough to forget. And the serial number is usually hidden in the motherboard of the console. If not it's also somewhere inside as well.

I would start by processing a claim with the USPS first; as the buyer may have to provide a signed statement that the PS3 was damaged on arrival. Another possibility is that they may have to ship the PS3 to the USPS as evidence.

Whatever you do, do not provide a refund until you have a check from the USPS in hand--if the buyer opens a paypal claim against you I'd just spit out the USPS policy at them which states, "blah blah blah, buyer must cooperate with a written statement or provide evidence or the claim will be denied." Again, I had an experience myself where I gave the buyer a refund before my claim was processed, and the USPS tried very hard to railroad me by saying that the evidence I submitted (email records, records of the refund given) wasn't good enough.

[quote name='tiggerkiddo']Okay, thanks. Yea, I wasn't planning to make a refund until after the claim anyways.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't even go to the USPS, yet. Contact the buyer first and get pictures. Tell him to send it back to you as well to make sure it is yours. I've had plenty of people try and pull the bait & switch on me. Too bad they were all idiots. Don't trust the buyer with anything he or she says. Sure, you might think he's a decent human being, but you never know.

For the future, don't use USPS insurance. Use a 3rd party like U-Pic or Shipsurance. They are much easier to deal with.

Won't the insurance be void if they send it back to you while the claim is under review? That's what I've been hearing at least...

Don't take it back, then you might have to pay to have it shipped to the USPS. Make the customer ship it to the USPS if need be, that way if they're trying to scam you it's out of their pocket. Just follow the triangle, let the blame flow in one direction...

bread's done
Back