eBay help/advice for emailing codes

rjb

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hi, I read somewhere (probably here) that you should stay away from emailing codes to winning bidders. By codes I mean, xbox live codes, game CD keys, beta codes, etc. I remember reading that a scammer could get refunded by paypal by filing a complaint that it didn't work or they didn't receive it or something.

I want to know how I can protect myself if someone wants the code emailed to them instead of (or including) being sent through the mail.

Thanks

There is really no protection at all. No matter what you do, including shipping the code to the person, they can just be a douche and say it was already used. You just have to hope that the buyer is honest. I have sold lots of eBay without an issue, but you just never know.

I usually avoid selling codes and DLC because of the chance for problems. Years ago I sold some eMusic subscriptions (they came with a $5 MP3 player at Circuit City and I kept the MP3 players and sold the cards). I mailed the cards with delivery confirmation in a bubble mailer and stated in the listing I would not e-mail the codes. I didn't have any problems but knew I was taking a risk.

[quote name='Alex2290']Also if you put in your auction listing that you are emailing the codes, you will receive a strike from ebay.[/QUOTE]

Really? I didnt know that.

[quote name='62t']If you send by mail you should be fine. If you are emailing you are taking a chance[/QUOTE]

Not really. As you probably know, eBay is all about the buyer. Whenever an issue arises, the burden of proof lies solely on the shoulders of the seller. So, if a buyer files a claim and says that code you sent them was a dud, you will lose, because there is absolutely no way for you to prove otherwise. I've seen a number of friends get burned on stuff pulled from limited editions or pre-order bonuses, despite the fact that they sent them through the mail.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Not really. As you probably know, eBay is all about the buyer. Whenever an issue arises, the burden of proof lies solely on the shoulders of the seller. So, if a buyer files a claim and says that code you sent them was a dud, you will lose, because there is absolutely no way for you to prove otherwise. I've seen a number of friends get burned on stuff pulled from limited editions or pre-order bonuses, despite the fact that they sent them through the mail.[/QUOTE]

Here's a question... are you able to verify with Sony or MS who used a code? I know we're usually talking about losing out on a $10 or so transaction but it'd probably help for people filing a mail fraud claim against the buyer on higher priced codes and such to have a confirmation that "user X redeemed code Y on blah blah blah"

Personally I don't just send codes out... if I have a DLC I plan to sell I usually arrange to combine it with something else, like extras from the CE or even the game itself (provided I've finished it). That way they'll have to ship it all back at their expense if they wanna get all sneaky, I'd like to think it at least helps circumvent these issues a little bit.

[quote name='eastshore4']Here's a question... are you able to verify with Sony or MS who used a code? I know we're usually talking about losing out on a $10 or so transaction but it'd probably help for people filing a mail fraud claim against the buyer on higher priced codes and such to have a confirmation that "user X redeemed code Y on blah blah blah"

Personally I don't just send codes out... if I have a DLC I plan to sell I usually arrange to combine it with something else, like extras from the CE or even the game itself (provided I've finished it). That way they'll have to ship it all back at their expense if they wanna get all sneaky, I'd like to think it at least helps circumvent these issues a little bit.[/QUOTE]
Sony will tell you exactly when a code was used but they won't tell you by who for privacy reasons. I've sold a ton of codes on ebay and emailed them I just put in the auction no refunds, code will be emailed. I also add due to the nature of the item being a digital one time use code no returns/refunds will be issued and no physical product will be sent in the mail. Codes are checked for validity and proof of such is retained for my records before sending code to buyer. Buyer agrees to these terms stated by purchasing item.
I've never had a problem this way although I'm sure it could still happen but by including all that stuff it usually deters scammers a little.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Not really. As you probably know, eBay is all about the buyer. Whenever an issue arises, the burden of proof lies solely on the shoulders of the seller. So, if a buyer files a claim and says that code you sent them was a dud, you will lose, because there is absolutely no way for you to prove otherwise. I've seen a number of friends get burned on stuff pulled from limited editions or pre-order bonuses, despite the fact that they sent them through the mail.[/QUOTE]

I managed to won a claim saying the code didnt work on ebay. I sent in the card and provided a DC# and ebay sided with me.

I was going to say that earlier, but forgot. If you are going to sell codes anyway, the more technical and legal jargon you throw into the post, the better. It tends to scare off the assholes. Knock on wood, but I've never had any problem on eBay at all.

Well, in my opinion, 62t, you got very lucky, but maybe I'm wrong. I've just never seen these things end up in the seller's favor.

[quote name='blissskr']Codes are checked for validity and proof of such is retained for my records before sending code to buyer.[/QUOTE]

how do you check the code?

You can check codes online at least for psn and take a screen cap, I can't remember if you can do the same for xbox but again it's all in the wording. I use all kinds of jargon in my posts and knock on wood I've never had an issue; except one time I provided someone a used code. In this case the person I bought the code from used it and I called Sony and they told me the date it was used so I know the buyer wasn't lying because it was like a month earlier and that's how I know Sony will provide the date used on dlc codes but not who used them. In that case I refunded the purchase price and actually went out of my way to buy another code for the guy and provide it free due to feeling bad about it.

thanks, you guys are AWESOME!

edit:
Just a heads up for anyone else- if you ship the card holding the code, you need to ship it priority to get delivery confirmation. A normal sized envelope cost $5.60 to ship! ouch!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='rjb']thanks, you guys are AWESOME!

edit:
Just a heads up for anyone else- if you ship the card holding the code, you need to ship it priority to get delivery confirmation. A normal sized envelope cost $5.60 to ship! ouch![/QUOTE]

Wrong. You can get DC on first class, media mail, parcel post, etc.

http://www.usps.com/shipping/deliveryconfirm.htm

You could send it first class with DC for a couple of dollars.

[quote name='scott2hotcott']Wrong. You can get DC on first class, media mail, parcel post, etc.

http://www.usps.com/shipping/deliveryconfirm.htm

You could send it first class with DC for a couple of dollars.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it is wrong, but the guy at the post office made me do it the way I described above. He said it would have to be a 3/4" thick package to be eligible for delivery confirmation.

In that link you gave, there is this text:
Note: A First-Class Mail mailpiece, determined to be a parcel by the dimensions and characteristics of the item, is eligible for Delivery Confirmation.

Use paypal shipping and Dc is free also.

I'll try that, Blissskr!

[quote name='rjb']Maybe it is wrong, but the guy at the post office made me do it the way I described above. He said it would have to be a 3/4" thick package to be eligible for delivery confirmation.

In that link you gave, there is this text:
Note: A First-Class Mail mailpiece, determined to be a parcel by the dimensions and characteristics of the item, is eligible for Delivery Confirmation.

I'll try that, Blissskr![/QUOTE]

Interesting. Personally, I think the postal worker you encountered is full of crap. I've sent plenty of packages that were less than and greater than 3/4" thick, and I've gotten DC every time. Kinda sounds like you got hosed into sending it priority.

To get around it, you can throw a crumpled piece of newspaper or some bubble wrap in the package to get it to be 3/4" thick, I actually have had Post Office clerks tell me a DS game in a bubble mailer isn't think enough for DC but they would accept it this 1 time.

bread's done
Back