eBay - Item not as described. I want a refund.

Chronotrigga

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
I recently purchased an Xbox360 from eBay. Auction ended on Wednesday. I had to extract money from my bank account to paypal because I didn't have enough cash. So, the money comes into my paypal and then it arrives to the seller on Friday (automatically). Seller says his mom is in the hospital so he ships it on Wednesday. He ships it using the wrong shipping method, but nevertheless, it arrives at my door on Friday. I get a chance to test it out and the disk drive is broken and it also RRoD's. I would like a refund.

Do I contact the seller asking for a refund? Do I paypal dispute? If so, do I ship the 360 before I dispute or what? Also, should I be the one paying the shipping back to his address? I think he should pay, since he used wrong shipping method.

Contact the seller first explaining the situation and asking for a refund. Take pictures. Never ship anything back until a resolution has been reached. If the seller doesn't respond or refuses to refund, open a dispute/claim with Paypal.

Unfortuantely, it is Paypal's policy that the buyer is responsible for shipping back to the seller, even if it is not as decribed.

Tough call but in a situation like this, dd busted and rrod Id put a lockdown on the pay pal hoping it hadnt been drained yet. Maybe the shipping stall tactic wasnt so he could get it out in time.

In this situation, I would agree in sending it to MS to fix it. First of all if you return to the seller, you have to pay shipping. If MS repairs it for you, they will pay for shipping both ways.

Contact the seller first and see if hes willing to work something out with you, if not then you can probably file a dispute with paypal, but since its also rrod anyways, MS will take care of the problem anyways assuming he gave you all the information you needed for POC.

by lockdown they mean if you file a dispute it freezes the money in his account. That is of course assuming he hasn't already taken the money in out, in which case you're probably hooped if you didnt pay with credit card

What a dick.. this is why buying 360's on ebay is usually not recommended..

Did you take the faceplate off to see if the warranty sticker was still there?

Can we have a link to the auction to see the description please?

Honestly in this situation, Id file a claim through ebay/paypal, make sure he cant withdraw the money.. the "hospital" crap may have been a delay so he could have gotten the money out safely..

works great but im broke after the holidays and i have more important things to worry about

Yeah.. that should have been a clue right there.. no offense lol

Yeah youd win a claim with ebay and against him -_-V Just file against ebay and paypal.. youll get the money back.

Since its a little kid.. get the phone number and call and hope to get the mother and explain the situation lol

[quote name='Chronotrigga']Here's the auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160193028404&_trksid=p2761.l1259

Apparently, if I paypal dispute, Paypal will only cover up to $200. Meaning, I will lose $75. I went to xbox.com and typed in the Serial # and it said the Warranty is Out and expired like December 1st, 2007. However, if it's an RRoD problem, doesn't that extend warranty by a few years or whatnot?[/quote]

You can file through Ebay as well (there used to be a $25 deductible). I've never done it through them but it might be worht looking into if you can get more back than paypal.

[quote name='kell']Contact the seller first explaining the situation and asking for a refund. Take pictures. Never ship anything back until a resolution has been reached. If the seller doesn't respond or refuses to refund, open a dispute/claim with Paypal.

Unfortuantely, it is Paypal's policy that the buyer is responsible for shipping back to the seller, even if it is not as decribed.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much sums it up nicely. I'd certainly ask the seller to cover your return shipping in your e-mail but if he won't, you won't get that from PayPal as kell already noted.

However if you think the seller is trying to scam you, just go directly to PayPal. Although if they really will only cover $200 then that really sucks. Guess I have to remember to never buy anything on eBay > $200.

Also already mentioned but you'd potentially have an extra layer of protection had you used a CC.

I guess if MS will cover it under warranty you could do that but I'd want to be 100% sure it won't become a problem on that end and it sucks to have to take on that hassle.

[quote name='hufferstl']the system you bought sounds a lot like this system he bought in November....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110195610661

And I agree with Ice2Dragon, no way I'd ever buy a 360 off ebay or craigslist.

good luck with the dispute if you go that route.[/quote]

Yep. He definitely bought it off him because the same address is located on the box that was shipped to me. I'll try to call Microsoft and see if they can fix it even though warranty is run out -- considering I think all 360's are covered by RRoD. Hopefully.

If I can send it to Microsoft everything should be okay, I guess. How long is the wait time?

Just for some reference about the $200 coverage. Paypal does cover up to $2000 but there are some qualifications to go above the 'basic tier coverage'.

13.9 eBay Items Eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection. Every item on eBay (except Live Auctions and vehicles) that meets the above requirements is eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection up to $200.00 USD (Basic Tier Coverage Amount), but items are only eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection up to $2,000.00 USD (Top Tier Coverage Amount) and should be identified as eligible items in the eBay listing if:
  1. seller's eBay feedback rating is at least 50;
  2. At least 98% of the seller's eBay feedback is positive;
  3. The seller has a Verified Premier or Verified Business Account in good standing;
  4. The listing was on an eligible eBay site (eBay.com and certain other eBay sites self identified as such)
  5. PayPal is listed as an acceptable payment method; and
  6. The seller is a PayPal User from one of the following countries:
- Argentina - Italy - Austria - Jamaica - Australia - Japan - Belgium - Korea - Brazil - Mexico - Canada - Netherlands - Chile - New Zealand - China - Norway - Czech Republic - Poland - Denmark - Portugal - Ecuador - Singapore - Finland - Sweden - France - Spain - Germany - Switzerland - Greece - Taiwan - Hong Kong - Thailand - Hungary - United Kingdom - India - United States - Ireland - Uruguay

What would happen if I sent the package out to Microsoft and it doesn't RRoD? I booted up the 360 again and I think it's working now. It didn't RRoD. :O A miracle! The drive is still broken though. Hopefully that will fix by itself too lol.

[quote name='Chronotrigga']What would happen if I sent the package out to Microsoft and it doesn't RRoD? I booted up the 360 again and I think it's working now. It didn't RRoD. :O A miracle! The drive is still broken though. Hopefully that will fix by itself too lol.[/quote]

From my dealings with them they said that they would notify you first via e-mail or by phone to let you know that the system is not under warranty. At that point they will tell you how much it would cost to repair the system and ask you if you would like to have it repaired. If so they will charge you as per necessary and, if not, they will send the malfunctioning unit back to you.

Honestly, mine was RRoDing about 99% of the time when I sent it in. There were the very rare times it would start up fine but would crash about 5 minutes in with another error, then it would RRoD for a good several hours. They fixed mine up without a single problem, already outside of the extended 1-Year Warranty at that point since it saw more red rings than multiple runs through the original Zelda.

[quote name='Chronotrigga']I recently purchased an Xbox360 from eBay. Auction ended on Wednesday. I had to extract money from my bank account to paypal because I didn't have enough cash. So, the money comes into my paypal and then it arrives to the seller on Friday (automatically). Seller says his mom is in the hospital so he ships it on Wednesday. He ships it using the wrong shipping method, but nevertheless, it arrives at my door on Friday. I get a chance to test it out and the disk drive is broken and it also RRoD's. I would like a refund.

Do I contact the seller asking for a refund? Do I paypal dispute? If so, do I ship the 360 before I dispute or what? Also, should I be the one paying the shipping back to his address? I think he should pay, since he used wrong shipping method.[/quote]

When you file your paypal complaint file as not as desribed, take pictures of what IS not described, upload them via www.imageshack.us and post the link in the description of the complaint.

Note: EVEN if the paypal seller has DRAINED their PP account, Paypal will still issue a refund, and the sellers account will go negative, and they will be responsible to bring the balance back to zero.

Atleast get the 200.00 if that is your last resort. I would also make eBay aware of the situation/seller and file a eBay dispute. Then call xbox live like you had mentioned above, if you haven't already and see if it's under warranty. All hardware problems I believe MS has under warranty on all new systems for 1 year, RRoD problems .. warranties were extended up to 2-3 years, I believe.

If it's an RRoD problem, chances are it will be under warranty. If it's not .. I'd stick w/ the paypal dispute. However, you say they (being PP) will only refund you 200.00, and that you took the funds out of your bank. Depending on how much you took out of your bank (hopefully the full amount) contact them (your bank) and they will be able to file a dispute on Paypal. (I have had to do this before for not recieving items). More than likely Paypal will honor the dispute via your bank.

Just because sending it in to get repaired is a solution you can do to get a working system doesn't mean you should let someone get away with ripping you off on Ebay. At the very least you need to attempt to recover some funds and/or let Ebay know that he's ripped you off (through a dispute or if you want to risk negative feedback if things go bad).

If you do send it in they're pretty fast about getting you a new system, I sent mine in and they said it'd take about 3-4 weeks. I got a new one around 2 and a half, and that's another good thing about sending it in, they don't fix your old one. They just give you a new one along with a month of gold membership on xbl.

For $75 more you could have gotten a brand new falcon system with wireless controller and hard drive, shipped for free from Amazon.

Oops.

Question. Did he use delivery confirmation? If not, claim it was never received. It is dishonest, but so was he. If you file a "not as described" complaint you may get nothing. I filed a complaint with paypal about getting a counterfeit item and they said they weren't going to deal with that.

bread's done
Back