eBay Package showed up empty with a letter from Post Office - What now?

sixghost

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Like the title says, I was having problems tracking my package through the PO's website, eventually I called around and found out it was lost/opened etc. 4-5 days ago the package eventually comes, but it's empty except for a stock letter from the post office that basically said they process alot of mail and sometimes stuff gets lost.

So now what do I do? The letter said I should call the dead letter office in Georgia, which I did a week or two before the letter showed up. Should I take it up with the Post Office, the ebay seller, or both?

Also, am I more likely to get shipping+cost refunded or another of the same product from the ebay route?

Sounds like it's not really the sellers fault if they had tracking on it and the Post Office basically are saying they lost it. You can't really file that against the seller, the only other way he could have made sure it got to you was if he hand delivered it. I guess your best route would be to go to the Post Office and ask what you can do from there but I'm guessing they are going to tell you probably nothing more can be done. Maybe next time ask for insurance.

Sorry but that's just funny. Instead of your item you just get a note from USPS saying 'oops'. And not just a note, but one placed into the package your item was in. It's like a practical joke and some employee stole the item.

Unless it was insured the Post office will not reimburse you and most ebay sellers usually state they are not responsible for lost or stolen packages. I would first email the seller and let them know what happen and see what they say. If they dont respond or offer to help you can check if your item was covered by ebay buyer protection you can try to file a claim to recover your loss.
http://pages.ebay.com/coverage/index.html

You also want to be careful that there isn't a scam going on from the seller, so you want to leave full detail of your experience in the feedback to ebay.

Without insurance, you pretty much have to take a loss.

I was screwed like this before on ebay with no recourse available. I noticed that while the seller kept getting 'positive' feedback, the actual description of the experience always had quotes like "worked it out with the seller." I gave the seller a neutral feedback, and fully described what happened, warning other buyers to ask for insurance with that seller. Guess what...he never sold another thing under that ebay name.

[quote name='virtuouswing']You also want to be careful that there isn't a scam going on from the seller, so you want to leave full detail of your experience in the feedback to ebay.

Without insurance, you pretty much have to take a loss.

I was screwed like this before on ebay with no recourse available. I noticed that while the seller kept getting 'positive' feedback, the actual description of the experience always had quotes like "worked it out with the seller." I gave the seller a neutral feedback, and fully described what happened, warning other buyers to ask for insurance with that seller. Guess what...he never sold another thing under that ebay name.[/QUOTE]

Alright, thanks. The package only cost about $9 total, so I think a scam is pretty unlikely.

Sorry to break the chain here, but it is the seller's responsibility to get your purchase in your hands. Until it reaches there, everything is on the seller even if they put some cute little "not responsible for lost or misdirected packages" blurb in the listing.

It sucks for both of you, but just contact the seller and let him know what's going on then file with PayPal. You'll get the refund.

[quote name='thelonepig']Sorry to break the chain here, but it is the seller's responsibility to get your purchase in your hands. Until it reaches there, everything is on the seller even if they put some cute little "not responsible for lost or misdirected packages" blurb in the listing.

It sucks for both of you, but just contact the seller and let him know what's going on then file with PayPal. You'll get the refund.[/QUOTE]

How the hell is it any sellers responsibility for the work of the post office? Sellers responsibility ends by packing it good and mailing it per the description. People with your attitude in lala land make it a major pain in the ass to sell. Seriously, anyone being reasonable would understand this.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']How the hell is it any sellers responsibility for the work of the post office? Sellers responsibility ends by packing it good and mailing it per the description. People with your attitude in lala land make it a major pain in the *** to sell. Seriously, anyone being reasonable would understand this.[/QUOTE]

How is it not the seller's responsibility? If you purchased something from Amazon and the package arrived empty with a note from UPS or USPS, would you say "well, nuts, I guess I'm out the item and money"? No, you'd be contacting Amazon and asking for a replacement.

Individual sellers may not go through the bulk that legitimate retailers do, but they carry the same responsibilities to their buyers.

EDIT: Here's the word directly from ebay.

Sellers are responsible for their items until they arrive safely in the buyer's hands. So it's important to package your items with care.

Source: http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/packing-tips.html

I would file with paypal and the post office, both. Either the seller is trying to screw you by sending an empty package with a phony note, or the post office is admitting that they gutted your package and took the contents. You also might want to see what shipping service the seller used--for instance, if he used media mail for a game and the post office decided to open it / confiscate it, that might shift the burden of blame a tad.

Here's something else to check, following that packing tips link thelonepig mentioned.

"Using weak or not enough tape to seal a box may cause it to open accidentally during shipment"

Is there loose tape on the box or does it appear to have been cut open?

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']How the hell is it any sellers responsibility for the work of the post office? Sellers responsibility ends by packing it good and mailing it per the description. People with your attitude in lala land make it a major pain in the ass to sell. Seriously, anyone being reasonable would understand this.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='thelonepig']How is it not the seller's responsibility? If you purchased something from Amazon and the package arrived empty with a note from UPS or USPS, would you say "well, nuts, I guess I'm out the item and money"? No, you'd be contacting Amazon and asking for a replacement.

Individual sellers may not go through the bulk that legitimate retailers do, but they carry the same responsibilities to their buyers.

Sellers are responsible for their items until they arrive safely in the buyer's hands. So it's important to package your items with care.
Source: http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/packing-tips.html[/QUOTE]

pwned :lol: :applause:

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']How the hell is it any sellers responsibility for the work of the post office? Sellers responsibility ends by packing it good and mailing it per the description. People with your attitude in lala land make it a major pain in the ass to sell. Seriously, anyone being reasonable would understand this.[/QUOTE]

People with this attitude shouldn't sell. Part of the cost of selling is an occasional lost package that you have to eat the cost on. If you can't deal with that you have 2 options. Get insurance or don't sell.

[quote name='thelonepig']How is it not the seller's responsibility? If you purchased something from Amazon and the package arrived empty with a note from UPS or USPS, would you say "well, nuts, I guess I'm out the item and money"? No, you'd be contacting Amazon and asking for a replacement.

Source: http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/packing-tips.html[/QUOTE]
QFT

It is indeed the seller's responsibility, even though it sounds lame. eBay removed the optional insurance, because they made it mandatory. Under eBay's terms, the seller either insures the item or refunds the buyer when it's lost/broken.

it is the seller's responsibility, until a third party(that's recommended by ebay) steps in and loses the package.
Seller did not use a different sender like fedex(ups/usps are recommended by ebay for some reason)
I think paypal will refund you.
Seller couldn't of directly or indirectly be involved in the package being lost.

thats why if i send shit through usps i use insurance and dc and i tape it up like a psycho. it also doesnt hurt to take pictures of the actual package once its completly put together. it amusing how the post office keeps charging more and more for services yet they quality of service continues to drop.

Ebay has buyer protection. Alert ebay and the seller that the package arrived without the item intact and SAVE everything. I believe under the new 'ebay' (used to be PP) buyer protection, they will cover the loss in this case.

from ebay
The item you bought arrived damaged.
  1. Request the seller's contact information and email the seller to discuss the situation and work out a solution.
  2. If you can't work out a solution with the seller, you can use the Resolution Center to file a case.

AND this:

We don't offer an insurance program. However, if you don't receive an item you paid for, you can receive a refund of the full purchase price plus original shipping on eligible purchases through the eBay resolution process.
First, contact the seller to let the seller know there's a problem. Most problems can be worked out with a simple email or phone call.
If you're not able to work things out with the seller, we recommend you open a case. To do that, go to the Resolution Center. We'll ask you a few questions and then contact the seller. If the seller doesn't make things right, we'll review the case. If you didn't receive an item you paid for, you'll usually receive a full refund plus original shipping costs.
Keep in mind that timing is important. You can open a case 3 days after the estimated delivery date (if available) or 7 days after making payment (if no estimated delivery date was provided). If you received an item, but it doesn't match the seller's description, you can open a case now. You must open a case within 45 days of making payment on an item.
You can also review the steps for dealing with an item that wasn't received or wasn't as described.

[quote name='tekzor']it is the seller's responsibility, until a third party(that's recommended by ebay) steps in and loses the package[/QUOTE]

This. The seller has a great deal of responsibility in assuring the safe arrival of the package. But, at the same time, it's unfair to expect them to be more competent than the people whose job that specifically is.

It's one thing if the seller failed to pack or seal the the package properly. But once it's out of his hands, what can he possibly do? Even if the guy didn't seal it at all, there's a good chance the item was still in the box before the USPS took possession of it. Why couldn't they fix it? They don't have tape on-hand? Why couldn't someone retrace their steps and find the item? All the post office has to do is deliver your stuff without losing it. This is clearly too difficult for them. The one thing they exist for.

Barring the seller personally delivering your items, it's unreasonable and illogical to hold them accountable for what is basically a gamble in the USPS acting competently and getting you your stuff.

I agree with both sides, where it is the seller's fault but also unless he personally flys on a plane to hand deliver it, it is unreasonable to hold him responsible. This is why scams are so easy to do on ebay since everything falls on the seller. No D/C you can claim you never got it. No insurance, claim it was damage. Ebay makes all the money without having to deal with the hassle of actually selling and shipping anything.

bread's done
Back