eBay policy against shipping from a location other than the one listed?

magiic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
144 (100%)
I am wondering if eBay has a policy against shipping items from a location other than that listed in the auction. According the auction I bid on the item was listed as located in Calgary, Alberta. I specifically bid on the item because it was located in Canada and due to time constraints I need the game soon. I e-mailed the seller asking for tracking and if it had shipped yet I get an e-mail saying there is no tracking and it has shipped via USPS First-Class international from Perrysburg, Ohio. Now my geography isn't great but Im pretty sure Ohio is not in Alberta or anywhere close to Alberta for that matter. Do I have any recourse here if this thing doesn't show up on time? The other issue I am worried about is if I have to pay tax on it because it crossed the border.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/item-location.html

Item Location Misrepresentation Policy

Sellers must accurately represent the location from which their item will be shipped in the item location field. False, inaccurate or misleading information about the shipping location of an item is not allowed on eBay.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions including:
  • Listing cancellation
  • Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings
  • Limits on account privileges
  • Loss of PowerSeller status
  • Account suspension
Why does eBay have this policy?
Inaccurate location representation leads to higher shipping costs and longer shipping times than expected for buyers. Listings that breach eBay policy undermine the trust and legitimacy of the marketplace and are harmful to both sellers and buyers within the Community.

OH SNAP

Im filing a complaint with ebay then because this really irked me. Not only did I order it from Canada I ordered it from Alberta specifically because it's the closest province and stuff takes like 3-5 days to get here. Coming from Ohio Im looking at 10-14 days. Colour me not amused.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a shirt from california, and the damn thing came from Thailand (no offense to Thai people), and shit was fake-o-matic. Paypal and ebay did nothing for me.

While the seller might get in trouble, I'm not sure what you get from your end. There would be no cost savings or getting the item sooner. But at least the guy might get some punishment from ebay.

[quote name='magiic']I am wondering if eBay has a policy against shipping items from a location other than that listed in the auction. According the auction I bid on the item was listed as located in Calgary, Alberta. I specifically bid on the item because it was located in Canada and due to time constraints I need the game soon. I e-mailed the seller asking for tracking and if it had shipped yet I get an e-mail saying there is no tracking and it has shipped via USPS First-Class international from Perrysburg, Ohio. Now my geography isn't great but Im pretty sure Ohio is not in Alberta or anywhere close to Alberta for that matter. Do I have any recourse here if this thing doesn't show up on time? The other issue I am worried about is if I have to pay tax on it because it crossed the border.[/QUOTE]

didn't you read your local paper this morning? Everyone picked up the dirt in perrysburg and moved to alberta : )

Really though there is nothing you can do. They can always say they are a 3rd party drop shipper and all of their orders go to that party who then ships your items.

[quote name='Grico']While the seller might get in trouble, I'm not sure what you get from your end. There would be no cost savings or getting the item sooner. But at least the guy might get some punishment from ebay.[/QUOTE]

I am aware I have nothing to gain from filing the complaint. I just hope maybe the seller gets some kind of retribution that would discourage him from doing it in future. As it stands he isn't doing so hot. He has five transactions under his belt and 80% positive feedback. I can pretty much guarantee I will be leaving at least a neutral just because I wont be getting the game in time.

[quote name='m0dem']Ebay will just remove the listing and since it already ended the seller will just get back the Final Value Fees.[/QUOTE]

I have a hard time seeing eBay willingly refund FVF for a listing that violated ebay policy. But what do I know.

[quote name='magiic']I am aware I have nothing to gain from filing the complaint. I just hope maybe the seller gets some kind of retribution that would discourage him from doing it in future. As it stands he isn't doing so hot. He has five transactions under his belt and 80% positive feedback. I can pretty much guarantee I will be leaving at least a neutral just because I wont be getting the game in time.[/QUOTE]

80% positive? Yeah the negative feedback on its own is actually good punishment. I wonder if he moved to Ohio. Its a bizarre idea to pretend to be in Canada and ship from Ohio.

[quote name='Grico']80% positive? Yeah the negative feedback on its own is actually good punishment. I wonder if he moved to Ohio. Its a bizarre idea to pretend to be in Canada and ship from Ohio.[/QUOTE]

He got the negative for selling a video camera he didnt have that was presumably paid for with paypal and then had the refund sent back to the buyer via UPS. Figure that one out lol

[quote name='magiic']I have a hard time seeing eBay willingly refund FVF for a listing that violated ebay policy. But what do I know.[/QUOTE]

They always do it. I had a listing removed for excessive shipping when my shipping method was cheaper than most people and all the fees automatically got refunded.

[quote name='m0dem']Ebay will just remove the listing and since it already ended the seller will just get back the Final Value Fees.[/quote]

I don't see that as punishment...Seller has already been paid and shipped the item. Refund on ebay fees would be a good thing.

You should only be looking at 6 days from Ohio to Canada. It's not like it's coming from the southern half of the country.

I live on the far west coast on Vancouver Island. Games usually take 5-7 days minimum even if they are just coming from one of the west coast states. The average time it takes me to get something from the USA is 10-14 business days. However games routinely take over three weeks as well. I don't know if being on an island just slows everything down or if I am on some kind of Canadian Border Services Agency shitlist or what.

[quote name='daminion']You should only be looking at 6 days from Ohio to Canada. It's not like it's coming from the southern half of the country.[/QUOTE]

The other issue is that now I may get nailed with tax when it crosses the border depending how the customs form is filled out.

[quote name='magiic']The other issue is that now I may get nailed with tax when it crosses the border depending how the customs form is filled out.[/QUOTE]

dont know if true.... I was told you must list the true vaule of the item..

Meaning if i send you a video game that cost 50 bucks in the store but i sold it to you for 10 i need to list the vaule as 50.

[quote name='slidecage']dont know if true.... I was told you must list the true vaule of the item..

Meaning if i send you a video game that cost 50 bucks in the store but i sold it to you for 10 i need to list the vaule as 50.[/QUOTE]

which in this case means I would pay an additional $11.36 tax when it gets here based on him (or whoever is shipping it for him) declaring it at $50USD. That will piss me off and will result in me having to find some other dispute to file to get my money.

bread's done
Back