eBay Problem - What can I do?

Zipomatic2

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
Okay, so I saw that somebody on eBay was selling a bunch of Ring Of Honor DVDs (84 to be exact) I waited, I bid and I won. I then sent payment via pay-pal as soon as the auction ended.

I won the auction for a VERY good price. How? Because the guy is a 6 feedback and has only 1 transaction in the past 12 months, I figured that a lot of people would not risk bidding on the item (I was right I guess) but since he took Pay-Pal, I paid via a credit card so I would be covered if the items did not arrive.

The day after winning my payment was refunded along with a note along the lines of "the auction did not sell for as much as I wanted, so here's your money back"

I was not a happy camper. I mean, the guy could have put a reserve on the auction or he could have cancelled the auction (he said in a later e-mail that he tried to do both but "eBay would not let him")

Now maybe I should not be pissed, I am not out of pocket, he did refund my money BUT!!!! eBay keeps ranting on about how when you make a bid it is a legally binding contract (ect, etc) I won the auction CHEAP, I want my bloody DVDs!!!

What can I do?

I know eBay will be as much use as a chocolate fireguard, so complaining to them will be pointless. I've emailed the seller a few times and told him that I want my DVDs at the price I won them for (but he is now ignoring my emails)

I could leave a mean feedback (ooooooh!) but somehow that doesnt feel enough.

Is there ANY way I can get this person to send my DVDs? It just seems wrong that a seller can say "nah, changed my mind - screw you"

Opinions/advice?

Can't really force him to do anything. If all else fails, he can just say he lost the DVDs.
You could get his phone number and call him and see if that'll work.

tell him no. He should have had a reserve price. KEEP THE EMAILS!!!!!! Contact ebay and send them the emails. Tell him you will fill a no shipping seller! He will lose his account. of course this is probily his third or fourth account anyway. I had the same thing happen. I sent them the emails and I got my money back and they were banned from ebay.

[quote name='invinceable104']Can't really force him to do anything. If all else fails, he can just say he lost the DVDs.
You could get his phone number and call him and see if that'll work.[/quote]

Pretty much. Theres isn't a single thing you can do to force him to send you the DVDs. He can just claim the stuff was stolen or damaged. You should most certainly file a complaint with eBay, though. At the very least, he'll get in "trouble," thought it won't matter much.

I think he may have been trying to tell the truth with the cancellation because that may need 10+ feedback BUT there is no excuse for irresponsibility and not telling people that he wanted the auction null and void. If he has poor communication, he needs to learn some responsibility.

Spookily enough about 30 mins after I posted this, the seller contacted me again. To paraphrase he said that he has emailed eBay about the situation (I kept going on in my previous emails about the "legally binding contract working both ways" and he will send me a copy of the email when eBay replies to him. He said that he will do what eBay advises (whatever that means)

Thanks for the advice so far guys, much appreciated. I pretty much guessed that I would not be getting the DVDs, it's just that I am so mad because I needed these to finish my collection... any more advice as always will be appreciated.

and thanks again to everyone who is replying

There's nothing you can do short of going to where he lives and forcibly taking them.

Sellers have the upper hand in these types of situations. Neither you nor EBay can FORCE someone to mail anything out. The only real retribution you can have is filing a non-performing seller, which was already linked here, and he'll get a slap on the wrist and a "bad seller, don't do that again," message from EBay.

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']leave a negitive. You'll get one too! Its fun! Check my feedback you'll see. Mr_hockey66.[/quote]

Sellers can't leave negatives anymore.

[quote name='davyd']Sellers can't leave negatives anymore.[/QUOTE]

That rule doesn't go into effect until May.

[quote name='davyd']There's nothing you can do short of going to where he lives and forcibly taking them.

Sellers have the upper hand in these types of situations. Neither you nor EBay can FORCE someone to mail anything out. The only real retribution you can have is filing a non-performing seller, which was already linked here, and he'll get a slap on the wrist and a "bad seller, don't do that again," message from EBay.[/QUOTE]

This pretty much sums it up. I have on a few ocassions complained on eBay and usually get the generic we will "investigate" the problem but can't contact you about it for personal reasons or something like that along with how sorry they are, they always seem so sorry for any problem I have yet that's pretty much all they do is say "sorry". I bought a few Genesis games last spring, came out to just over $9 for 3 game and the seller refunded me claiming they were OOS since he was obviously unhappy with how he was going to be pocketing little to nothing on them after fees and shipping. A week or two later he lists abunch of Genesis games in one big auction including the 3 games I was refunded for. I complained sure but as mentioned I'm sure he just got a slap on the wrist if anything.

[quote name='davyd']Ah, I thought it went into effect at the same time ebay hiked up their fees. My bad.[/QUOTE]

I learned this the hard way when I left a negative for a seller that burned a ton of people including me and got a retaliatory negative back from them as I though I was safe from getting a negative from a buyer as it was somewhat unclear when a seller not being able to leave negatives started with all of the changes mentioned on eBay over the last month or so, I was mistakenly thinking it started February 20th but nope that was when FVFs going up started which is what eBay cares most about but doesn't want it to seem so with how they hyped up everything else they are changing. I wasen't happy as it ruined my perfect feedback and I never would have bothered if I knew that I could get a negative feedback back but eBay doesn't care and the fact that this seller is still around and not banned with a feedback rating of 84.7 and a string of about 50 negatives over the last 2-3 months further proves that they don't care.

[quote name='FOnewearl']This pretty much sums it up. I have on a few ocassions complained on eBay and usually get the generic we will "investigate" the problem but can't contact you about it for personal reasons or something like that along with how sorry they are, they always seem so sorry for any problem I have yet that's pretty much all they do is say "sorry". I bought a few Genesis games last spring, came out to just over $9 for 3 game and the seller refunded me claiming they were OOS since he was obviously unhappy with how he was going to be pocketing little to nothing on them after fees and shipping. A week or two later he lists abunch of Genesis games in one big auction including the 3 games I was refunded for. I complained sure but as mentioned I'm sure he just got a slap on the wrist if anything.

I learned this the hard way when I left a negative for a seller that burned a ton of people including me and got a retaliatory negative back from them as I though I was safe from getting a negative from a buyer as it was somewhat unclear when a seller not being able to leave negatives started with all of the changes mentioned on eBay over the last month or so, I was mistakenly thinking it started February 20th but nope that was when FVFs going up started which is what eBay cares most about but doesn't want it to seem so with how they hyped up everything else they are changing. I wasen't happy as it ruined my perfect feedback and I never would have bothered if I knew that I could get a negative feedback back but eBay doesn't care and the fact that this seller is still around and not banned with a feedback rating of 84.7 and a string of about 50 negatives over the last 2-3 months further proves that they don't care.[/quote]

I was checking a powersellers feedback and found it quite annoying that every negative he got he responded with a negative. Had a 99.3 positive but it just irked me to no end some of his neg fb comments left. Enough so I just bought elsewhere. The seller was a DICK!

[quote name='rmb']I was checking a powersellers feedback and found it quite annoying that every negative he got he responded with a negative. Had a 99.3 positive but it just irked me to no end some of his neg fb comments left. Enough so I just bought elsewhere. The seller was a DICK![/QUOTE]

That's eBay for you, or at least a fair number of the shit heads selling on eBay. I bought some cheap games from discountgames last spring, when I got the package they forgot 2 games. I gave them a month to try and fix things, ignored every e-mail except 1 in which someone replied "we'll get those sent right out" to which they never followed though. I noticed that they were giving every negative they got a negative back with a comment about calling a long distance number and they will fix any problems so I just waited till the last possible day and left them a negative as to not get one back :)

[quote name='rmb']I was checking a powersellers feedback and found it quite annoying that every negative he got he responded with a negative. Had a 99.3 positive but it just irked me to no end some of his neg fb comments left. Enough so I just bought elsewhere. The seller was a DICK![/quote]

I pulled a dick move on a seller at least once on Ebay. She was a local Best Buy employee who was hoarding all of the guides and games once they dropped, including one guide I specifically wanted to find but NOT pay over a cent for.

So, I bid on her dutch auction for a copy of the guide, she sent it, then I waited till she left me a positive feedback for fast payment or whatever. I responded with a negative for her 'overcharging on shipping' and ruined her up till that point perfect feedback.

Was I a dick for doing so? I know I was, but I just didn't care, since because I couldn't find it for a penny, I was pissed at having to pay more than that for it and pissed at her for hoarding every damned copy of it.

I've also had a few not so great deals on CAG before, where neither party left feedback due to receiving items not quite as described. Those were back when I just started out on CAG and I've learned to ASK possible buyers/traders if they want a description or pic of an item before agreeing to any deal.

Sickest part of the story about the negative feedback I sent on Ebay is, I later on found multiple copies of that guide long after I had bought the one from the BB employee. So, had I been patient, I wouldn't have messed up her perfect feedback and I would've been able to buy the guide I wanted FOR a penny.

Leave neg and move on OP.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
So, I bid on her dutch auction for a copy of the guide, she sent it, then I waited till she left me a positive feedback for fast payment or whatever. I responded with a negative for her 'overcharging on shipping' and ruined her up till that point perfect feedback.

Was I a dick for doing so? I know I was, but I just didn't care, since because I couldn't find it for a penny, I was pissed at having to pay more than that for it and pissed at her for hoarding every damned copy of it.[/QUOTE]

This is absolutely ridiculous. You're part of the problem.

I looked at it this way, if she had left at least ONE fuckin copy of the damn thing or at least charged a nominal amount for shipping(since I was already shipping stuff out and knew the true shipping costs for stuff like guides at that time already), then I wouldn't have had an issue.

But, she was a fuckin hoarder and gouging on shipping to boot, so I figured I'd give her a little wake up call. Thing is, soon after that auction ended, she went inactive for a WHILE on Ebay.

Yeah, I was a dick, but that was in the past, since I don't even BOTHER with Ebay anymore and haven't in at least 2-3 years(since the aforementioned auction).

So I bought something on ebay and on the page it said it would take 8 days and he'd give me a tracking #. Well fast forward a week thinking it would arrive the next few days I messaged him about the tracking # because I never received one. It turns out he hadn't even sent the fucking package til today... I'm fucking pissed and all he did was message me back the tracking number. Is their anything I can do? I'm at least thinking of giving neutral or neg feedback for communication and shipping. btw, he had 100% feedback rating too.

[quote name='VipFREAK']So I bought something on ebay and on the page it said it would take 8 days and he'd give me a tracking #. Well fast forward a week thinking it would arrive the next few days I messaged him about the tracking # because I never received one. It turns out he hadn't even sent the fucking package til today... I'm fucking pissed and all he did was message me back the tracking number. Is their anything I can do? I'm at least thinking of giving neutral or neg feedback for communication and shipping. btw, he had 100% feedback rating too.[/quote]I hate it when someone does that shit.Just happened to me.I paid for Burnout Paradise last thursday and he had friday and saturday to ship but didn't ship until monday.

I didn't have communication with him, but it seems like the guy did a one day shipping to get it to me as fast as possible to save his 100% feedback rating. Seems kinda stupid from his end. I guess that's why his shipping price was so obviously over what it really cost to ship it... I'm still deciding what to give him because I'm sure I'll get the same feedback mark back...

Sorry to thread hijack, but I've got an issue.

I bought a bunch of games (totalling around $95) from a seller who is now banned. He never sent any notice to me that he sent out the games (payment was sent July 27th, but he is in Canada, so who knows how long shipping would take).

Should I go through paypal and then ebay, or ebay then paypal?

[quote name='Bezerker']Sorry to thread hijack, but I've got an issue.

I bought a bunch of games (totalling around $95) from a seller who is now banned. He never sent any notice to me that he sent out the games (payment was sent July 27th, but he is in Canada, so who knows how long shipping would take).

Should I go through paypal and then ebay, or ebay then paypal?[/QUOTE]
Don't bother with ebay. They won't do crap, file a complaint in paypal, explain your situation and demand your money back. Don't pay attention to whatever the seller says, they will probably just want you to close the complaint since you can't open it again after you close it just leave it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I pulled a dick move on a seller at least once on Ebay. She was a local Best Buy employee who was hoarding all of the guides and games once they dropped, including one guide I specifically wanted to find but NOT pay over a cent for.

Was I a dick for doing so? I know I was, but I just didn't care, since because I couldn't find it for a penny, I was pissed at having to pay more than that for it and pissed at her for hoarding every damned copy of it.

I've also had a few not so great deals on CAG before, where neither party left feedback due to receiving items not quite as described. Those were back when I just started out on CAG and I've learned to ASK possible buyers/traders if they want a description or pic of an item before agreeing to any deal.

Sickest part of the story about the negative feedback I sent on Ebay is, I later on found multiple copies of that guide long after I had bought the one from the BB employee. So, had I been patient, I wouldn't have messed up her perfect feedback and I would've been able to buy the guide I wanted FOR a penny.[/QUOTE]

Your a sad little man.

Welp, i've got another problem (lucky me). This time its a bit more than getting ripped off on $93 worth of games. I sent out a package containing a Wii, Wii Fit & Mario Kart Wii on the 16th via Parcel Post. As of today, the person has yet to receive it and the tracking info still shows as "electronically notified". Now, I know i've had issues with Parcel Post not updating from electronically notified until it has been delivered, but with something that i sold for $515, i'm a bit worried. It has been 5 business days to get from FL to OK (19 hour drive).

He did not buy insurance so I did not provide it. I did ship to his paypal confirmed address, but that may be irrellevant considering the tracking # technically reflects that I never sent it out. My first step is going to be going to the post office tomorrow morning to make sure it was definitely sent out (i'd imagine they have to have some kind of scan system). But should it not be at the post office, and the guy never gets it, am I shaq-fu'd?

[quote name='Bezerker']Welp, i've got another problem (lucky me). This time its a bit more than getting ripped off on $93 worth of games. I sent out a package containing a Wii, Wii Fit & Mario Kart Wii on the 16th via Parcel Post. As of today, the person has yet to receive it and the tracking info still shows as "electronically notified". Now, I know i've had issues with Parcel Post not updating from electronically notified until it has been delivered, but with something that i sold for $515, i'm a bit worried. It has been 5 business days to get from FL to OK (19 hour drive).

He did not buy insurance so I did not provide it. I did ship to his paypal confirmed address, but that may be irrellevant considering the tracking # technically reflects that I never sent it out. My first step is going to be going to the post office tomorrow morning to make sure it was definitely sent out (i'd imagine they have to have some kind of scan system). But should it not be at the post office, and the guy never gets it, am I shaq-fu'd?[/quote]

Yeah, you are in a pretty tough spot. In the future, you should really be using UPS on such expensive items. I would never trust the post office with a transaction that big.

[quote name='Capn Stabby']Can't really force him to do anything. If all else fails, he can just say he lost the DVDs.[/quote]

I agree. I mean if I were a seller on eBay, I'd probably just lie and say I lost them. You really should feel sorry for the guy - I mean think about someone taking away your most prized possession for way less than what it's worth. I'm sure you'd be fuming. The seller probably wasn't skilled enough to figure out how to put up a reserve price or something. Hey, at least he refunded your money. He probably lost money in the end anyway because he had to pay the insertion fee, final value fee, and Paypal fee (since you paid with CC) which already raped his pocket of a few bucks - cut the guy some slack. Leave him and his DVDs alone :whistle2:#

The buyer got their wii bundle today so crisis averted. I was worried all day. This is a huge load off of my mind. I think i'll take Bruce's advice and leave the expensive stuff to UPS or Fedex.

[quote name='Bezerker']The buyer got their wii bundle today so crisis averted. I was worried all day. This is a huge load off of my mind. I think i'll take Bruce's advice and leave the expensive stuff to UPS or Fedex.[/quote]

Wow, glad to hear you didn't end up screwed out of the money and the product.

[quote name='Bezerker']The buyer got their wii bundle today so crisis averted. I was worried all day. This is a huge load off of my mind. I think i'll take Bruce's advice and leave the expensive stuff to UPS or Fedex.[/QUOTE]

USPS is fine, but just MAKE SURE IT IS INSURED! Don't make it an option for the buyer (though with the new max shipping fees for items on ebay that will be harder to do). I've found the USPS is very good about providing refunds for shipping issues. I send a Wii right before Christmas last year via overnight mail through USPS (I even drove it to the airport PO so it would for sure get there the next day). It took TWO days to get there. I filled out a form and a couple of weeks later got my entire $50 or so refunded! Before that I had a similar thing happen on an International package - got the entire postage fee refunded because it didn't get delivered when they said it would.

Now I've never had something flat out lost by the USPS but if they can't account for it via delivery confirmation and you have it insured, I think you have a pretty solid case for a quick payment.

c_AC-Altair.jpg

?

bread's done
Back