eBay Question - Annoying Buyer - UPDATE: eBay removed the negative YAY!!

Ah, I gotcha, 4 days went, no pay, closed it to give the strike.

He bought it, didn't want it. There is no real legal contract so you can't force them to pay.

What you can do is your non-pay dispute method which you did, pissed him off and now he's pissed you off!

You could have just ate a few dollars on shipping and shipped it or canceled the transaction and ate the fees. That'd make the buyer happy and no negative for you.

If he gets suspended within 90 days from non-pay strikes, the feedback will be removed.

You could also try http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/feedback-abuse-withdrawal.html

but his feedback isn't breaking any rules.

[quote name='Peroxide']Ah, I gotcha, 4 days went, no pay, closed it to give the strike.

He bought it, didn't want it. There is no real legal contract so you can't force them to pay.

What you can do is your non-pay dispute method which you did, pissed him off and now he's pissed you off!

You could have just ate a few dollars on shipping and shipped it or canceled the transaction and ate the fees. That'd make the buyer happy and no negative for you.

If he gets suspended within 90 days from non-pay strikes, the feedback will be removed.

You could also try http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/feedback-abuse-withdrawal.html

but his feedback isn't breaking any rules.[/QUOTE] "Feedback (ratings and comments) may be removed in the following instances:
A buyer fails to respond to the Unpaid Item process"

[quote name='klwillis45']"Feedback (ratings and comments) may be removed in the following instances:
A buyer fails to respond to the Unpaid Item process"[/QUOTE]

I really hope that is true. Also, on the Unpaid Item Policy the FIRST example is:

"Jay looks for a grill on eBay and places a bid. After winning the item, he realizes that shipping the item will cost more than he's willing to spend. He decides not to send payment and simply ignore the invoices that he receives."

Per the policy: If you've placed a winning bid or clicked the Buy It Now button on a listing, you've committed to purchasing and paying for that item. Not making that payment, even if you've changed your mind about wanting the item, violates the unpaid item policy.

This is a textbook example!

Did the buyer respond to the unpaid item dispute in the resolution center? If so, depending on what the buyer wrote, eBay may not remove the feedback even if he got a strike. Even though the buyer didn't pay, he still responded. If this is all the buyer posted:

I clearly sent you a message about no longer purchasing this item, why are you not responding to my messages? I will be leaving negative feedback about this transaction now so I hope you are happy. And, I am still not buying it.

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get it removed.

[quote name='Jack']Did the buyer respond to the unpaid item dispute in the resolution center? If so, depending on what the buyer wrote, eBay may not remove the feedback even if he got a strike. Even though the buyer didn't pay, he still responded. If this is all the buyer posted:

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get it removed.[/QUOTE]

No. The last time I heard from the buyer was BEFORE I opened the unpaid item dispute. There was no response to it at all. The 4 days passed and when I was allowed to close the case I did so. This must have triggered an email to the buyer AND his ability to leave feedback because I received the feedback inside of 5 minutes from closing it out. I'm pretty sure that prior to that he had no way of leaving feedback or else he would have done so already.

It is so strange that eBay is set up this way by default. If there is an unpaid item dispute that gets closed without the buyer paying then neither the buyer nor the seller should be allowed to leave feedback - it should be as though the transaction never happened and the buyer should just get the unpaid item strike (which is different than feedback and not made public).

Oh crap, I missed that reason.

Anyways, yeah, you might have some luck.

Just get it removed if they didn't respond in the resolution center.

Good luck hearing back from eBay though!

[quote name='SlammedNiss']Did you ever mention the buyers ebay ID? If not, let us know so we all can add it to our bad buyer list.[/QUOTE]

He posted a link to his auction. Buyer is potsywebbr.

Hope it all works out for you, javeryh. This buyer has left some pretty undesirable feedback for others as well. He/she likes to complain.

[quote name='javeryh']I really hope that is true. Also, on the Unpaid Item Policy the FIRST example is:

"Jay looks for a grill on eBay and places a bid. After winning the item, he realizes that shipping the item will cost more than he's willing to spend. He decides not to send payment and simply ignore the invoices that he receives."

Per the policy: If you've placed a winning bid or clicked the Buy It Now button on a listing, you've committed to purchasing and paying for that item. Not making that payment, even if you've changed your mind about wanting the item, violates the unpaid item policy.

This is a textbook example![/QUOTE]

This would be my defense and then I'd imagine the buyer would look pretty similar to your avatar :lol: Good luck. I can't stand stupidity/trying to get something for less than they agreed to.

[quote name='parKer']He posted a link to his auction. Buyer is potsywebbr.

Hope it all works out for you, javeryh. This buyer has left some pretty undesirable feedback for others as well. He/she likes to complain.[/QUOTE]

How do you get their full name? It will only show o***b for me.

[quote name='J7.']How do you get their full name? It will only show o***b for me.[/QUOTE]

javeryh said that the buyer already left a negative feedback for him, so I clicked on his feedback, where full eBay IDs are shown. You must be clicking on the "bids" area, which will hide buyers' IDs.

What a douchebag! I wish that person is selling something on ebay. So I can bid on their items then decide not to get so I can give them a negative feedback.

That's the tool. Still no response from eBay. I have a feeling I'll get the negative removed - if they do remove feedback this HAS to be one of the scenarios.

Also, how do I leave negative feedback for this person - when I go to leave feedback all I can do is leave a positive - what a system...

Yeah, you can't leave any type of negative feedback for a buyer as a seller. If you try the "leave a positive rating with a negative comment," the buyer can have it removed as that falls under eBay feedback abuse and eBay can then take action against you as a violating member. What that action is, I have no idea, but that's what eBay says they'll do.

Her feedback-left-for-others is pretty bad when you get to page 2. On January 3, 2007, a seller filed a UPI against her and eBay removed the seller's negative for that transaction because she didn't respond. Looks promising for you, javeryh.

OK, I've sent 2 messages to eBay and no response. I'm not sure it is even going through - I sent one from work and the other from home and each time it says a message is saved in my Sent folder on eBay and a copy is sent to my email address - neither is showing up even though eBay says the message was sent. WTF? This process is infuriating.

No update - I cannot seem to get a message sent to eBay. It is very frustrating. I hit "Send" and it says an email is sent to my yahoo address and the message will be in my "Sent" folder on eBay but I am not receiving the email and the message doesn't appear in my "Sent" folder on eBay. I don't know what else to do - it is as though eBay is set up to not be bothered by this kind of stuff. 75% of people will probably give up which is what they would want. Anyone know what I can do?

I'd go down there and demand to speak with the manager.

eBay Whitman Campus
2065 Hamilton Avenue
San Jose, California 95125
(800) 322-9266

Or just call them. You'll probably be on hold for a week, but dammit, don't let this thread end.

Or, you could just live with it, and after 12 months, it virtually disappears. Feedback percentage is now calculated with the just the last 12 months of activity.

Wow thanks for the info guys - I'm going to try calling today. I've been slammed at work and I don't want to let this die out. I'm still really really pissed.

javeryh, don't feel too bad. I sold a copy of "Modern Warfare II" last week with a Buy It Now option of $40 (+$2.50 Shipping). The dude bought it, I waited 4 days for payment, which never showed up. I decided to give the buyer a chance to back out of the deal by filing a "Cancel Transaction" (I knew that I could always sell the game later on!) with Ebay, but the buyer didn't want to cancel, so he declined. Afterwards, I send him an e-mail to either pay or cancel the damned transaction, then he tells me that he's bought the game elsewhere for a dollar less (!).

Ebay TRIED to make me pay $6.xx in seller's fees for this ONE transaction, but I fired off a very nastygram to Ebay and they replied that they won't charge me afterall. I also told them that their little system favored bad buyers and not sellers at all. I also accused Ebay of "predatory pricing" :) (I mean, really--charging $6.xx PLUS Paypal fees on top of that!) To make it worse, a seller can't leave negative feedback for buyers anymore, so buyers are literally free to change their mind AFTER they win something and have no repercussions. Ebay makes it very hard to even file a 'non-payment' that it's almost not worth it. You file, they still don't pay, and they can leave you a negative, but you can't leave them a negative for not paying.

I'm totally disgusted at the moment. I have a bunch of other games on Ebay at the moment and I have to admit though that everything else that I've sold (PS3 games) I've gotten paid for fast and no complaints. There's always one buyer that causes problems...

[quote name='javeryh']OK, I sent the buyer a SECOND invoice today and got this message back as a response:

This is bullshit as far as I'm concerned. What do I do?[/QUOTE]
Wow, i'm sorry to see you going through this javeryh. Lots of fucking morons use eBay. I've gotten some of the worst questions ever, when it's clearly stated in the auction.

Some guy bought a headset form me and once I shipped it (Shipping was $9) I had it as free shipping. He messages me a few days later saying it does not work with his PS3 and that the item must be defective. So he shipped it back.

Prior to EVER contacting me or trying to resolve the issue. Not to mention that on my auction I had stated it was PC only. I receivde the item and the box was all beat up and just crammed inside. Us sellers really get fucked in every possibly way, with fees, pp fees, and no real seller protection. But ah.. such the irony huh? I'm still using it. The only way I'll get across a broader audience besides Craigslist. eBay has me by the nuts.

Wow - seems like I'm not the only one. eBay really needs to change some of its policies. I was able to chat with someone who gave me a direct email address to get the feedback removed. She indicated that it would probably be removed. I'll let you know how it turns out. This is so freaking annoying!

I hate the feedback system, I have gotten 4 or 5 negatives over the years and all are undeserved. One was for a buyer who said they sent a money order, never got it and they left me a negative, others were because I didn't leave the buyer feedback (thankfully back then you could leave a negative and they got a negative back in return), and a buyer claimed a sealed game was defective and never contacted me.

It is ridiculous sellers can't leave negatives anymore

To avoid this problem in the future, I would list with fixed prices and immedieate payment required so they can't use buy it now without paying for the item first. Any time I sell something on EBay I do that and don't have to deal with non paying bidders anymore.

Ebay's lack of seller protection took me from having a brick and mortar online consignment business to not using ebay at all in over 2 years. At first it was understandable when they increased protections for buyers, there was alot of scamming going on, but rather than come up with an equitable solution they created a lopsided one where the only way a seller can really be protected is to ship with devliery confirmation and insurance which is fine for bulk sellers, they get better rates but for people just wanting to sell their stuff it gets very expensive very quickly. Not being able to leave feedback for buyers just means the scammy ones continue to be so. Their flawed feedback policy has created a problem with sellers purposely sabotaging their competition by buying leaving negative feedback then not paying under multiple accounts, I have seen 2 businesses lost through that method. One is going to court over it and will hopefully win, but in the meantime his online bookstore is no more, through no fault of his own.

I'll say it now, as I've said in the past. The only company that would give ebay a run for its money is google. Why google hasn't started their own auction site, I don't know. They already have their backbone of loyal supporters and "payment" option, so why not go full force?

I can't believe it!

Dear javeryh,

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to your Feedback Removal request.

After reviewing your request, we found that the Feedback comment met the
requirements for removal under our Feedback Abuse Policy and have
removed it.

To learn more about our Feedback Abuse Policy, go to:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-abuse-withdrawal.html

It is my pleasure to assist you. Thank you for choosing eBay.

Sincerely,

eBay Customer Support

Thanks for everyone's help - I'm back to 100%!!!

[quote name='J7.']Pretty good work there, she got an unpaid item strike right?[/QUOTE]

I don't know - is there a way to tell? I filed the non-paying bidder claim and the case closed do I think she got the strike but I don't know how to check.

[quote name='javeryh']I don't know - is there a way to tell? I filed the non-paying bidder claim and the case closed do I think she got the strike but I don't know how to check.[/QUOTE]

I don't know unless somewhere in her profile. You guys should post on Ebay's forum about the problems with their policies. Any advice on actually getting feedback from people? I complete transactions with people and they don't leave feedback so neither do I and both of us lose out, it's like they don't even care. I even asked the guy and he never replied. This is when I was the seller.

There is no way to tell how many NPB strikes or policy violations a buyer has. Now invisible to the eBay population, but still visible to eBay. Some crap about helping buyers feel safer.

That's why in your "buyer's requirements" when you're making a new auction/BIN, the listing set-up process now has the option to "block buyers who have X number of NPB strikes (or X number of policy violations) within X number of months."

javeryh, I think your buyer has 2 marks on her record now.
- a strike for NPB
- a policy violation for feedback abuse

She got a twofer.

[quote name='J7.']Any advice on actually getting feedback from people? I complete transactions with people and they don't leave feedback so neither do I and both of us lose out, it's like they don't even care. I even asked the guy and he never replied. This is when I was the seller.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I send "gentle" reminders to buyers now that sellers can't neg. Most often, I'll get a "sorry I forgot." Or, sometimes when I leave a positive, that will prompt (or remind) the buyer to reciprocate. If I don't get a response to the reminder, I just let it be. I've read stories about and seen power-trippy buyers getting annoyed and leaving negs for good sellers who were only requesting feedback.

If I had no problems with a buyer, I'm fine with leaving a positive anyway (re: good selling karma). Some people (like me) actually do a quick scan of people's "feedback left for others" to get a better idea of their buyer/seller feedback patterns or transaction habits or to look for any red flags (like page 2 of javeryh's buyer - hindsight is 20/20, no?).

I don't sell in large volumes on eBay, maybe 3-5 things at a time, so the quick FB-left-for-others scan is easy for me to do. Most of the time, neuroeconomics helps.

bread's done
Back