ebay question -bad buyers

sdp

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
My mom recently sold a doll from her collection and it was new, the buyer contacted me today that the doll was not as described on the ad because the doll was open and she wanted a refund. I know for a fact that it wasn't since I even helped my mom pack it. I emailed her back that I'd refund her the money of the doll if she shipped it back obviously at her expense and I wouldn't refund her shipping.

She replied saying that the doll was open and it was not the doll in the pictures on my listing and that unless I refunded her all the money including shipping she'd leave me neg. feedback and file a claim on paypal.

Is there anything I can do? I have 100% feedback and never had a problem before with 500 feedback. I guess I'm going to have to suck up the negative but will I also lose my money on paypal?

She'd be filing Significantly Not As Described (SNAD) with PayPal and from what I've heard (and 1 first hand experience) it can be a crapshoot as far as who PayPal sides with.

However if she does the claim with PayPal they should make her send it back and have her submit a DC # that shows delivery before they release the money to her. If she does the claim with her credit card company she'd get the money before sending it back. It'd still technically be mail fraud AFAIK if she gets the refund and doesn't return the package to you.

I wouldn't cave if you know she's lying. It's funny because if she said it was beat up in the mail you might believe her but she's making a claim you know is bunk. I had a similar experience with a buyer who claimed a new/sealed game I sold him was opened/used when it got to him. Suuuure...

Perfect example of why I hate the new feedback system, if they neg you, they deserve a neg right back and then you could go for the mutual removal. With the new policy, that won't happen

Get use to the new ebay buyers. They have the threat of negative feedback, while you the seller, get to leave them only positive feedback or none at all.

[quote name='unforeseen']Get use to the new ebay buyers. They have the threat of negative feedback, while you the seller, get to leave them only positive feedback or none at all.[/quote]

I just went through an ordeal with a guy that bid on my XBOX 360 HD DVD player. He hasn't paid or responded to me in close to a month now.

I left Negative feedback anyway. I wrote it in CAPS so that anyone would see it, even though it says Positive.

cjkirby_2008
s.gif
(7) Check it out, I am 19linkmon94 read his feedback.

[quote name='thebob101']Remove all the cash from your Paypal account immediately.[/quote]

well its only a $9 doll 15-17 with shipping I'm not sure I want to sacrifice my paypal account over so little..

Its just that I have done nothing wrong and I feel there is nothing I can do against her claim..

Your mother should probably handle the response. She can provide more accurate details on the item including how it came from her collection and she knows ever detail about the item, etc. etc. might scare them off if they are trying to screw you.

i.e. was it new, but not sealed? maybe they were expecting some sort of shrinkwrap on the item when in fact a new item of this variety doesn't come that way. those are the sort of details that will let the buyer know that she knows what she's talking about.

it's more likely that:
1. the buyer damaged the item or packaging while opening it with a boxcutter and wants you to take responsibility
or
2. they buyer is trying to screw you and will end up mailing back a completely different item (this is where paypal fails)

Request contact information and talk to them directly if you can. In the end let them know that you will process a refund if the item is shipped back to you in the same condition that it was sent (and state you have pictures to prove the condition). i.e. you shipped in new condition, they can't send something back that's been opened.

[quote name='linkmon']

cjkirby_2008
s.gif
(7) Check it out, I am 19linkmon94 read his feedback.[/quote]

Ebay will remove your comment and all that will be left is a positive with no text if they see it or if the buyer reports it. This is in violation of their feedback policy.

[quote name='thebob101']Remove all the cash from your Paypal account immediately.[/QUOTE]

PayPal can reverse that and so can a credit card company if buyer does a charge back. If you take the money out of the bank account, then they can still overdraw from your account (so you'll have a negative balance).

One thing you've got going for you is that if she returns the item and it is not the same that you sent, you can submit pictures from the auction as well as those of what you received to PayPal. Like everyone says, it's difficult to say who PayPal will side with, but at least it may tip the scale your way.

You can also request that the buyer take a picture and email you with it describing why it is different than the one they purchased in the auction and why exactly they think it is not sealed.

if it does come down to an issue with paypal...ALWAYS CALL PAYPAL....the way the system is setup now is crappy doing it thru email/online posts...I have had a lot more success in calling paypal and getting my side explained on the phone.

[quote name='Vinny']PayPal can reverse that and so can a credit card company if buyer does a charge back. If you take the money out of the bank account, then they can still overdraw from your account (so you'll have a negative balance).[/QUOTE]

Has anyone had this happen to them 1st hand in a while? I know PayPal used to do this but it's my understanding that they don't dip into linked bank accounts without your authorization any longer.

[quote name='sdp']I emailed her back that I'd refund her the money of the doll if she shipped it back obviously at her expense and I wouldn't refund her shipping. She replied saying that the doll was open and it was not the doll in the pictures on my listing and that unless I refunded her all the money including shipping she'd leave me neg. feedback and file a claim on paypal.[/quote]

Probably too late now but I'd say "Okay you'll get a full refund AFTER you return the doll." Odds are she'd return [without] delivery confirmation. And then you can refuse to refund 'cause she's out o'luck.

If she does use dlievery confirmation, only refund the cost of the doll, not the S&H.

[quote name='rrrrrroger']Probably too late now but I'd say "Okay you'll get a full refund AFTER you return the doll." Odds are she'd return with delivery confirmation. And then you can refuse to refund 'cause she's out o'luck.

If she does use dlievery confirmation, only refund the cost of the doll, not the S&H.[/QUOTE]

I assume you meant to say without dc in that first paragraph. Not cool. :nottalking:

You should be as honest with your buyers as you'd want them to be with you.

[quote name='wubb']You should be as honest with your buyers as you'd want them to be with you.[/quote]
And when they are dishonest? ( Keeping my pristine doll & returning junk dolls.) I have no patience for buyers who are scammers.

bread's done
Back