eBay Return Policies

sajinor

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
I am a semi-frequent seller on eBay and have recently wondered what people think is a fair return policy. Admittedly, it comes up this time because I am dealing with a return currently, but more on that later.

On video games, I offer a return policy that covers the entire cost of the game, shipping and return shipping should the game not be as described, such as defective. I have generally returned all of the money when I receive the game back, as to deter any scammers from simply saying the game is broken and getting a full refund without shipping the game back. Recently I have realized it wouldn't be too bad to put out the $3 or $4 shipping ahead of time, so the buyer does not have to pay out of pocket. While I know it is frustrating to get a game that does not work, I really do not know how much more fair I could be. If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Now for the current situation. I sold a copy of Halo: Reach which I knew was scratched, but was playable a few weeks before I sent it. The listing stated such. The buyer informed me the game did not work for more than 5 minutes and the case was cracked. He demanded I accepted a return and threatened to leave a negative feedback if I did not. Apart from the threat, I had no problem with this and told him my normal process for a return. He messaged me back informing me he won't send the game unless I send a full refund to him first. I clarified my normal return process, as stated above, just in case there was any confusion, but he demanded the same thing and then opened a case with eBay. The odd thing is, the resolution eBay gives is for him return the game to me and I issue a refund once I receive it. They don't even I ask that I refund his return shipping cost. That is currently where the case lies, he has not responded to the case. I am assuming I am heading for a negative feedback, especially if eBay sides with me.

This was sort of a rant too, so thanks for reading and I am interested in seeing any suggestions on how to improve my return policy. I try to be a good seller in an increasingly difficult marketplace.

I for one dont offer returns or refunds at all. I haven't had to put it to the test but I just make sure I have no returns accepted checked off and state it again in my listings.

Basically just sell everything even if it's new as is. People still buy.

Of course like I said it hasnt been tested so I cant say for sure if that even really works. Hopefully it at least deters scammers.

I know I have to accept a return on an erroneously described item, regardless of having a return policy or not. And in this case, I described it wrong. It is possible it was damaged in shipping, but that too falls on me. But maybe having a open and generous return policy is just an invitation for people to walk on me and try to target some scams.

I ran an eBay store for a couple years and had a similar return policy. I did not accept returns unless there was something wrong with the item. If there was any problem with it my policy was that I would provide a return shipping label and provide a full refund when I receive the item back and verify the problem. Although it was not stated, if the item was low value I just gave them a refund instead of wasting time/money doing a return.

However, if I had a replacement and I had no reason to distrust the buyer I would immediately send them the replacement. I included a return label inside the package if I wanted the original item returned.

I seem to have been lucky as a seller on eBay as I have not really had any problems with my buyers after selling around 1000 items. I got a neutral once because a buyer did not read the condition of the game in the description and was unhappy it was not mint.

I would not change your policy over one bad buyer.

Keep in mind with ebay regardless of whether you state that returns are accepted or not ebay will force you to take a return. The fact that they "allow" you to state whether or not you accept returns is a joke. The only reason they won't make you take an item back is if the only excuse the buyer has is that they had buyers remorse. If the person opens a dispute the default answer ebay always goes with is that the item be returned and you give them a refund. If your item was new and they opened it you are NOT allowed to deduct a % for now having to market it as a used. Ebay is just shy of a scam and its a shame that no other auction site has the draw power that ebay does.

[quote name='mrright4you4now']Keep in mind with ebay regardless of whether you state that returns are accepted or not ebay will force you to take a return. The fact that they "allow" you to state whether or not you accept returns is a joke. The only reason they won't make you take an item back is if the only excuse the buyer has is that they had buyers remorse. If the person opens a dispute the default answer ebay always goes with is that the item be returned and you give them a refund. If your item was new and they opened it you are NOT allowed to deduct a % for now having to market it as a used. Ebay is just shy of a scam and its a shame that no other auction site has the draw power that ebay does.[/QUOTE]

Bravo! I came in here to post this same exact thing. eBay really is a joke, same with PayPal. Thing is that they own 99% of the market so there really is not much a consumer can do. Amazon Marketplace is probably their only other contender in terms of sheer size and even then Amazon Marketplace is not an auction site so there really is no other competitor out there.

I am right with you all on Ebay being a joke. After nearly every wave of stuff I sell, I tell myself I am done dealing with Ebay and their multiple fees. But it still helps me support my gaming habit, so I keep going back and dealing with it. As you both said, there is no where else to go.

This latest change, charging the fee on the shipping cost, eats up all of the profit on low cost games as well as hurting international or faster shipping options. I no longer sell anything worth less than $5.00 (before shipping) on Ebay. I just trade them in to Game Stop or Amazon depending on the condition. I am ranting again, so I should probably move on.

As for the current return mess, the person finally returned the game and I issued the refund. I have not yet received a feedback, but it seems almost like I am dealing with a spouse or parent or such now rather than the original person.

bread's done
Back