Ebay sales problem

gaggil

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hi,

Around 2-3 months I sold a brand new Guitar Hero Bundle and a brand new wireless guitar on Ebay.

The buyer would email me every day until he received the package.

It only took 3-4 days but he said he really wanted to play the game.

Now after a few months he claims the strum bar on the wired guitar and the wammy bar on the wireless guitar do not work anymore.

He claims the guitars were defective and it took two months for the defects to appear.

We both left positive feedback a few months ago.

I personally do not feel I should refund him his money because he has used these for months and probably broke them himself.

If he puts a claim into Paypal would I have to refund the money.

[quote name='gaggil']Hi,

Around 2-3 months I sold a brand new Guitar Hero Bundle and a brand new wireless guitar on Ebay.

The buyer would email me every day until he received the package.

It only took 3-4 days but he said he really wanted to play the game.

Now after a few months he claims the strum bar on the wired guitar and the wammy bar on the wireless guitar do not work anymore.

He claims the guitars were defective and it took two months for the defects to appear.

We both left positive feedback a few months ago.

I personally do not feel I should refund him his money because he has used these for months and probably broke them himself.

If he puts a claim into Paypal would I have to refund the money.[/quote]

Without looking into Paypal's terms and conditions, I'll say no. What return period did you advertise on ebay? 7 days? At this point his issues are with the manufacturer, and you should tell him to look at the manufacturer's warranty that came in the box and follow the steps provided there.

According to paypal's user agreement, they have 45 days from date of payment to file a claim. If it's after 45 days they're screwed.

If he's a determined prick, he might start up something on the eBay forums about you selling defective goods if he can't file a chargeback or dispute. You might want to keep an eye on that.

But it does look like he's SOL. Was this GH3, and weren't there defects identified by the mfg to begin with?

He might be able to claim with his credit card though. Many of them give 90 days.

I'd politely ask him to deal with the manufacturer since it was a new/sealed product.

[quote name='wubb']He might be able to claim with his credit card though. Many of them give 90 days.
[/quote]

How does that work though? Would Paypal be stuck with the charges? I doubt OP is a registered vendor with the credit card company (if the buyer even used one).

filing with the CC will do NOTHING, so dn't worry. (I've been on teh other end of this before.. but for a ligimite reason, I paid and never got the item)

I called my credit card company to decline the charges, so paypal got a charge back of 480 bucks (or whatever it was) and they then took that money out of my paypal account automatically (I was PISSED!)

after hours on the phone with paypal, they told me, "sorry, thats what we do if theres a charge back, have you tried to resolve this with the seller?" it was such a bad experience

Paypal is one of the worst companies I've EVER had to deal with. they told me they couldn't take the money out of HIS account because he had no paypal balance... all they could do is put a negative amount on there and suspend his account until he funded it, once it was funded (if ever...) I'd get my money back..... what kind of BS is that?

[quote name='kevlar51']How does that work though? Would Paypal be stuck with the charges? I doubt OP is a registered vendor with the credit card company (if the buyer even used one).[/QUOTE]

Well here's how I thought it worked:

1) Buyer files a dispute with the CC.
2) If the CC allows disputes on PP payments and finds in favor of the buyer PayPal is out the money and deducts it from the seller's account immediately. (The account goes neg if there isn't enough to cover it.)

From what I can tell PP doesn't really ask the seller for information to fight the dispute in most (maybe all) cases, they just roll over and take the money from the seller.

Drnick - Are you saying PayPal took the money out of your account as the buyer/guy who made the CC claim? If they did that to me I'd be very tempted to just walk away from that PP account. Pretty crap. Maybe they actually make both the buyer AND seller's acocunt negative and just take the money back from whichever guy funds his account first. Yiikes.

Doesn't it really depend on your credit card company? I know I had an issue once and I tried going through my credit card company and they asked me flat out if it was an Ebay issue. I said yes and they told me that they don't do chargebacks on disputes that I had to deal with Ebay or Paypal on it. Seeing as he's past his timeframe on both of those I believe, he is SOL. And honestly, after 2 months, he can't expect you to do anything. He could've beat the shit out of those games/controllers for all you know.

[quote name='mike.m']Doesn't it really depend on your credit card company? I know I had an issue once and I tried going through my credit card company and they asked me flat out if it was an Ebay issue. I said yes and they told me that they don't do chargebacks on disputes that I had to deal with Ebay or Paypal on it. Seeing as he's past his timeframe on both of those I believe, he is SOL. And honestly, after 2 months, he can't expect you to do anything. He could've beat the shit out of those games/controllers for all you know.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've also heard that some CCs don't allow disputes on PayPal purchases. (That's why I put in the 'if the CC allows disputes on PayPal payments' bit.)

What bank is behind your CC if you don't mind saying? Just curious about which ones do and don't handle these disputes.

[quote name='wubb']Yeah I've also heard that some CCs don't allow disputes on PayPal purchases. (That's why I put in the 'if the CC allows disputes on PayPal payments' bit.)

What bank is behind your CC if you don't mind saying? Just curious about which ones do and don't handle these disputes.[/QUOTE]

That would be interesting to know - I'd imagine American Express to probably be the best.

bread's done
Back