Ebay shipper included Signature required.. UGH!

I'm really pissed that the seller included signature confirmation. Now I need to sit around waiting for this thing when it should've been delivered in the morning first thing. Now I have to worry if I miss it.

What's the point in signature confirmation? You already have the tracking and can tell if it was delivered to the right address.

I'm seriously considering leaving a bad review on this seller (I don't like that he didn't ship right away and waited a day extra but the signature confirmation really ticks me off.

What do you think I should do about this?
Wait...to get this straight you're thinking of giving a bad review because:

1. The seller waited a WHOLE day to ship it.

2. He requests signature confirmation.

I got that about right? Do you even realize how petty you sound right now? I mean, no offense, but yeah that's kinda petty.

First of all, you don't know what is going on in that person's life. Maybe they work two jobs and missed a chance to hit the post office to send your precious item out. Maybe they got sick, or a family member got sick or hurt and they weren't able to get it sent off. Any number of things could have happened that delayed them A SINGLE DAY. That's not nearly enough to send someone bad feedback. You sound like someone that nobody should ever ever sell to.

And secondly, signature confirmation protects them AND it helps you out. Think about it. Say your package gets delivered, but to the wrong person. Someone is hanging outside your place and they are like "oh yeah, that's me!" and they accept your package. Now without signature confirmation, there's no way to know who accepted it, however according to the tracking info, it was accepted.

Now with signature confirmation, if someone signs for it, you have the name. Now if it's someone scamming, sure they may use a fake name or whatever, or hell, write your name. However in most cases it may get delivered to a neighbor or someone up the block. With the signature confirmation, they can write you back and say "hey, so and so signed for this" and then hopefully you're like "oh, okay, I know that person" and then you go get it.

I've had that happen a few times as I live in an apartment building.

Just calm down and relax. If you give negative feedback based on that, you should be bounced from ebay for good. Just being honest here.

I want to know what the negative feedback will look like. When the seller reports it to eBay, they'll probably just laugh at the buyer.

I had someone on Amazon ask me about 5 or 6 questions about an item that I had listed as "Like - New". I waited a couple of days to get back, knowing he would be a problem buyer and knowing he also would have already bought another.

OP, I think the disconnect here is your expectation vs. the rest of CAG. Personally, I think your expectation is a bit much. Remember that the postal worker actually came to your house on time. Unfortunately, you just happened to not be available to open the door in time to sign for it which happened to be paid for signature confirmation. Signature confirmation has nothing to do with the seller not fulfilling his end of the bargain. Holding your item at your local post office due to signature confirmation is simply a USPS rule. It has nothing to do with the seller. If you were able to sign for the gift card, this wouldn't have been an issue. Not being available to sign for the item has nothing to do with the the seller not fulfilling his end of the bargain either.

Whenever I buy on ebay I assume the item will get to me late. I get the whole "expedited shipping" quote to be annoying you but the delivery was initially made anyway. I've sold over a thousand items on eBay over 12+ years and I can tell you for a fact that it is not typical for my buyers to expect to receive my items within a week. Whenever they do, they react in a surprised and happy way. Also you need to keep in mind that not every seller on eBay has the same shipping fulfillment process as Amazon Prime. These are usually ordinary folks that have ordinary responsibilities and lives to live out. I understand you may question the whole family emergency excuse but you have to just give people the benefit of the doubt because it's the right thing to do. So for what it's worth, I think you should just leave the feedback alone and not bother and just move on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it's like the idiots that buy something at 8AM and then send you a message at noon wondering why they haven't received a tracking number. And then 2-4 days later after they receive the game want a partial refund because their new/sealed $20 game isn't "Grading" quality.
none of the games i have can ever get grades, all they do is sit there and never pick up the pencil to take the test :)

There was never any attempt at delivery until today.  USPS is pathetic.  Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up tomorrow.  I think the note they left says after 9/24 after 8:00 so hopefully that means I can get it 9/24 when I go there and don't have to wait until Wednesday.  
Very ridiculous.

There was never any attempt at delivery until today. USPS is pathetic. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up tomorrow. I think the note they left says after 9/24 after 8:00 so hopefully that means I can get it 9/24 when I go there and don't have to wait until Wednesday.
Very ridiculous.
Yup, see. That shit happens. You had an estimated delivery date of Friday. I get that it's an "estimate", but to not have an attempt on Friday OR Saturday is just shitty service. Whether that's on your carrier for being lazy and missing it, or your local office, who knows. But they wonder why people just use UPS when they need to ship something in a timely manner.

In a world where things make sense, the seller should actually be able to complain that he paid for a service to get the package to you by Friday and that didn't happen. But who is he going to complain to? President Obama? lol. Just be glad you got your item and move on. Obviously, the seller wasn't trying to do you dirty.

USPS is pathetic.
I get your annoyance, but the signature probably is a good idea just for CYA purposes if nothing else. Also, don't rely on the post office to get something to you on time, that's for sure. I have bought a few things that ended up 1. substitute driver claimed they couldn't find my place (I live in a trailer park with a huge mailbox unit for everyone - like 5 of these http://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free-stock-images-multiple-mailboxes-image18961969) and funnily enough mine is within 50ft of the mailbox. 2 was another "oh you weren't home" and of course my wife was home all morning which is when they normally are here, and there was another time with a sorry we missed you slip of paper . Luckily I live within 1/2 mile of the post office. Anything I get from Amazon strangely makes it no problem, somehow UPS and Fedex (and the chinese food delivery people :) ) manage to find a way to the huge numbers I have on my place.

Anyone have a better way to sell than ebay? I have used ebay for years but people like the OP ruined it for me. ebay's idiocy also helped to ruin it. After being screwed by ebay one too many times I swore off it until recently. I needed money and had no luck selling on Craigslist. People on Craigslist just contacted me offering a nickel and a broken rubberband for a new 360 game.

Over a week ago I put up a bunch of aucions on ebay and so far 1/3 of the buyers haven't paid and won't respond after 4 days. During the week I had dozens of messages from scammers. I fucking hate that place.

OP, don't burn that seller. It's an actual person. At least wait awhile and see if you feel the same after you've had time to chill.

tl;dr: What are the best alternatives to selling on ebay? Also, as a seller, what do you do about non-paying bidders? What's the best process?

I'm about to try using Amazon (I don't sell much but have a few things kicking around.) Not sure what the cost to do it is, but they have it where you can send in your item and have Amazon deal with it.

I sell on ebay because for a majority of items at a majority of prices, it's still cheaper than Amazon (we did the math one time in another thread, and it was something like any item under $56 is cheaper to sell on ebay...even after Paypal fees). But if you're not using all four of these buyer requirements, you might as well not bother.

Block buyers who:
  • Don't have a PayPal account
  • Have received 2 unpaid item strike(s) within 12 month(s)
  • Have 4 policy violation report(s) within 6 month(s)
  • Have a feedback score equal to or lower than -1
Even then, you're still vulnerable to some crap. But that at least gives you a fighting chance. I had one guy who actually had the nerve to message me and tell me that he couldn't bid on my item because he had "one unpaid item strike", so because of my strict requirement, I "lost a sale". I responded and let him know that he must have had more than one because the restriction is actually having two strikes in a one year period.

But what I WANTED to say was "Good. I'd rather not have piece of shit scammers like you bidding on my items anyway", lol. But yeah, the notion that sellers have all the power is absurd. Most are lucky if they ever get their money...which is what you can blame having to use signature confirmation on. The OP's "problem" likely stems from the seller getting scammed in the past.

I'm about to try using Amazon (I don't sell much but have a few things kicking around.) Not sure what the cost to do it is, but they have it where you can send in your item and have Amazon deal with it.
You how how awful you've heard ebay's seller protection is? Amazon's is worse.

I had a person return a brand new 3DS game to me opened because it didn't work in her son's DS. Amazon said I had to accept it because that's part of their rules.

Now maybe if I was a big volume seller they might have said different (although I think basically big volume sellers just consider it part of the cost of doing business) but just like ebay, amazon doesn't really give a crap about people who are just basically getting rid of stuff.

You how how awful you've heard ebay's seller protection is? Amazon's is worse.

I had a person return a brand new 3DS game to me opened because it didn't work in her son's DS. Amazon said I had to accept it because that's part of their rules.

Now maybe if I was a big volume seller they might have said different (although I think basically big volume sellers just consider it part of the cost of doing business) but just like ebay, amazon doesn't really give a crap about people who are just basically getting rid of stuff.
Pretty much this. At least with ebay, you can refuse a return under the right conditions, but with Amazon, you have to abide by their return/refund policies. I learned the hard way...haha. The only brightside is that you can charge up to a 50% restocking fee.

Oh that sucks. I was looking at the  "fulfillment by amazon" and was thinking that they pretty much took care of that crap for you. I probably should stick to buying/selling to the local Navy wives on the facebook reselling groups lol

@dohdough - never knew you could charge 50% restocking fee.

Oh that sucks. I was looking at the "fulfillment by amazon" and was thinking that they pretty much took care of that crap for you. I probably should stick to buying/selling to the local Navy wives on the facebook reselling groups lol
Oh yeah, FBA. You know how they take care of it for you? They take the return, refund the money, and then charge your account. Then they ship the item back to you for a price.

Basically, selling online is only good for stuff you really don't give a shit about and can stand to get ripped off on. It probably doesn't happen 99 out of 100 times but always be prepared for that 1.

I never sell anything large on ebay anymore because then you're out shipping cost too. If I sell a video game and lose $2 in shipping, that's fine.

@dohdough - never knew you could charge 50% restocking fee.
Yup, you can if the return meets certain requirements. If they change their mind, clearly used it, and/or return the item in worse shape that it was sold in. Those are the big ones. The other guidelines are listed on their refund policy page.

Yup, you can if the return meets certain requirements. If they change their mind, clearly used it, and/or return the item in worse shape that it was sold in. Those are the big ones. The other guidelines are listed on their refund policy page.
Can't they just claim it's defective?

Can't they just claim it's defective?
Yup. Like I said, it's only applicable to limited situations. Honestly, not everyone is that smart nor that deceitful.

edit: It's not a great hedge against shitty buyers, but it's better than nothing.

bread's done
Back