EBs switching to GameStops?

salmonaxxx

CAGiversary!
Someone told me that the Manhattan Mall EB has changed to a GameStop. Is this happening (has this happened) everywhere? How does this affect preorders and Edge card balances?

[quote name='salmonaxxx']Someone told me that the Manhattan Mall EB has changed to a GameStop. Is this happening (has this happened) everywhere? How does this affect preorders and Edge card balances?[/quote]

Dude, did you just get out of a bubble? Seriously, Gamestop bought EB a while ago. Both websites merged. If you have a pre-order at a specific store, it'll still be good. I don't know about your Edge card balance. Last I remember, balances were kept on receipts.

I certainly hope they're not changing to Gamestop, as they haven't smartly taken EB's EDGE card system to carry credit balances yet.

I had to go to an EB tonight that handles both and get all my paper receipts slapped onto my EDGE card. The clerks there were pretty cool and did it without a hassle.

However, many other chains that Gamestop absorbed have kept their store names(Babbages, Funcoland, to mention a few). I've seen them in multiple states that I've been to. So, I sincerely doubt they will change over all the EB's to Gamestop. On the receipts, maybe, but the signs, nahhhh.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
However, many other chains that Gamestop absorbed have kept their store names(Babbages, Funcoland, to mention a few). I've seen them in multiple states that I've been to. So, I sincerely doubt they will change over all the EB's to Gamestop. On the receipts, maybe, but the signs, nahhhh.[/QUOTE]

wow, funcoland's still exist!?! now that would be a site to see...

This has been going on for months. It's just a sign change outside the store. Stores are changed over to the Gamestop name when their leases are up, to do so beforehand costs major $$$. At the FuncoLand near me (which I managed for a year) the lease isn't up until 2009 I believe so that's when they can change the name. Eventually all the stores will be Gamestop.

And Gamestop's are using the Edge card now anyway as well as finally being able to use EB gift cards. If they aren't in your area they will be shortly.

[quote name='souNReAL']wow, funcoland's still exist!?! now that would be a site to see...[/quote]

Danbury, CT had a Funcoland in their mall. Or rather, I should say, the store was on an exterior wall of their mall. And, I think they had 2-3 Gamestop/EB stores INSIDE or near the mall too.

That's another thing that kind of intrigues me, is seeing what Gamestop will do with all of the areas with 2-3 of their various chain stores in ONE small area.

For example, near me(Dickson City, PA) there are 2 EB's and a Gamestop within probably a mile or so of each other. The Gamestop used to be a Funcoland, before they were absorbed into the GS corporate fold.

And, if you count the Gamestop(which used to be a Software ETC) down the road 5 miles at another mall, theres actually 4 in a 5-6 mile radius of one another.

So, that leaves me to ask now, when will Gamestop start consolidating stores or close underperforming ones, where there is a glut of stores in one small area.

I was chatting with the girl that works in one near me. She said dut to zoning laws, Some EB Games will stay with the name and not become Gamestop, especially in malls that already have both an EB and a Gamestop.

Similar to me. There is a 2 mile strip of road that contains an EB games, a Gamestop, and a mall with another Gamestop inside.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Danbury, CT had a Funcoland in their mall. Or rather, I should say, the store was on an exterior wall of their mall. And, I think they had 2-3 Gamestop/EB stores INSIDE or near the mall too.

That's another thing that kind of intrigues me, is seeing what Gamestop will do with all of the areas with 2-3 of their various chain stores in ONE small area.

For example, near me(Dickson City, PA) there are 2 EB's and a Gamestop within probably a mile or so of each other. The Gamestop used to be a Funcoland, before they were absorbed into the GS corporate fold.

And, if you count the Gamestop(which used to be a Software ETC) down the road 5 miles at another mall, theres actually 4 in a 5-6 mile radius of one another.

So, that leaves me to ask now, when will Gamestop start consolidating stores or close underperforming ones, where there is a glut of stores in one small area.[/quote]

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Danbury, CT had a Funcoland in their mall. Or rather, I should say, the store was on an exterior wall of their mall. And, I think they had 2-3 Gamestop/EB stores INSIDE or near the mall too.

So, that leaves me to ask now, when will Gamestop start consolidating stores or close underperforming ones, where there is a glut of stores in one small area.[/quote]

South County Mall in St. Louis has it like that. Funco outside, an Eb and Gamestop pretty much right next to each other in the mall. My guess would be the ones in the mall close and the Funco outside stays open since it is so much bigger. Not to mention a Game Xchange across the street from the mall. Then the next exit a Gamecrazy, EB and another local chain. It's a clusterf**k of video game stores. Not that that's a bad thing.

So, that leaves me to ask now, when will Gamestop start consolidating stores or close underperforming ones, where there is a glut of stores in one small area.[/QUOTE]

Same with Erie,PA. We have a GS and an EB right in the mall right by each other. The GS was a Software ETC. Then directly outside the mall is a GS that was a Funcoland. Then across the street maybe 1 mile away is a EB. Having 4 GS and EB's in a mile area is crazy talk.

I can guarantee that the inside of the stores are changing.... i'm an odd one in that I really like my zboard... keyboard w/ interchangable keysets based on games.... all "gamestops"... (anything that is owned by GS reguardless of the name on the front of the store) have quit carrying Zboard keysets... I don't have a comp USA so i'm SOL when I want a new key set for a certain game... it is gamestop policy to not carry these and so the stores i went to (3 of them) said they had to send all their keysets back to manufacturer, how retarded is that.... grrrr

At one point the Smithaven Mall had 2 Gamestops (one a Planet Comics), an Ebgames, and a Funcoland outside in the shopping center adjacent. Now PC is closed, so it's just the 3 locations.

[quote name='willardhaven']At one point the Smithaven Mall had 2 Gamestops (one a Planet Comics), an Ebgames, and a Funcoland outside in the shopping center adjacent. Now PC is closed, so it's just the 3 locations.[/quote]

Now my question is whether or not Planet Comics was always a Game Stop entity or if it was another seperate chain many, many years ago? I remember when they opened up in Smithhaven ages ago and they were really nothing more than a comic book shop, which was absolutely amazing.

Too bad it eventually turned into nothing more than a GameStop, though. I remember way back when when they imported a Saturn and several games, as well as a PS1 and several games, well before the systems came out in the US. Why? It was the easiest way to entice people to consider preorders. Hot.

Those were the days...

I recently managed a gamestop that had two other gamestops within a 1 mile radius (the gamestop i closed down was formerly a Funcoland). The store was underperforming in comparison to the other two stores so it was shut down by the corporate headquarters.

In one Queens location, there are two gamestops (used to be EB) within 2 street blocks of each other. Why??????? I can definitely see one of these stores closing down soon.

Does anyone on who works at Gamestop know how they are going to make room for all the new stuff? They got rid of the PS1 and N64 games but in all actuality those took up very little space. Are they going to basically turn the games on their sides so all you can see are the spines? They do this on some of the games already. That's the only way i can think of how they could even free up a little bit of space. Anyone on the inside have knowledge?

what do you mean? Restrictions on what can be traded in for those systems? If that's the case wouldn't it have made sense to just restrict what could be traded in for PS1?

Getting rid of GB games won't free up any room either.

Gamestop coperation feel that having two companies brands might confuse customers and convert all ebgames to gamestop.There are several stores NYC region that have change from eb to gamestop.

south street seaport
14 st union square
manhatten mall
rockfeller plaza
83rd 3rd ave
103 rd ave
steinway st
2 in queens mall
kings plaza

Went to what was my local EB today and noticed that it's now a GameStop also.

That means that we now have two GameStops on the same road within a half-mile of each other.

I've got to figure that one of these is going to eventually close.

There are 12 EB/GS stores within a 5 mile radius of my home. Good business sense combined with the very high rents charged for business spaces in SoCal. dictates that as soon as the leases run out, the underperforming stores in this bunch will surely close. How each store does this upcoming holiday season will also be a deciding factor.

bread's done
Back