ECA: Hal Halpin's Latest Statement: Changes are Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

caltab

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
The new discussion thread is located HERE.

Latest update:

I recommend everyone read Hal's latest statement, it's his best statement to date and I believe shows the ECA finally has gotten our message. In it he offers better explanations for what happened with the auto-renew function, promises to notify members of changes to terms of service, and even apologizes.
http://www.gameculture.com/2009/12/...lpin-eca-head-discusses-membership-complaints

Disclosure: GameCulture(the source of this statement) is published by the Entertainment Consumers Association.

Can you give us a synopsis of what happened over the past week?
Sure. Back in September we had an intersection of a few things happen within a brief period of time: I wrote a guest editorial in one of the leading games magazines, at the end of which I provided readers with a coupon code for a free trial membership.
Stopping there for a minute, in hindsight, what was the result of that action?
Well, I have to say that I didn't think the decision through thoroughly-enough. My logic was that readers who took the time to read the piece, which focused on some of the more important and topical issues facing game consumers, were people we wanted as members. In the few seconds that it took to type, I didn't consider that one of those readers would run over to their computer and post the code, sans editorial - and in retrospect, it appears obvious.
Next, there was an issue with discount codes from a partner?
Well, sorta.’ We were being supplied with batches of codes from that partner for some time - about six months. And the organization had been growing steadily for the past few years, so one of the challenges we both had was anticipating the redemption rate, batch to batch...which meant accurately predicting new membership growth. That's an unknown quantity for any new business, but more so for a new non-profit that's cutting a new path. But the more time went on the better we got at understanding the influencers, like trade and consumer shows, advertising, co-marketing efforts, promotions, etc.
That's where detractors repeatedly point to the new free trial members being problematic?
It's correct that our critics keep saying that, but it's a false statement. Yes, there was a bump in new membership acquisition during that period, but it was modest... comparatively speaking... and we knew it was coming, so we requested a larger than normal-sized batch. That request was met with more than we asked for and an emergency back-up batch being supplied.
And how did those assumptions and projections play-out?
Pretty much as-expected. Our partners - this one included - were thrilled with our growth. After all, more members equals more potential customers. And with there being only a few in each category of business, that's a great strategic advantage for the merchant. Competitors, who we hadn't yet contracted, were very likely losing customers. And the partners were essentially getting new loyal customers from a very different demographic than they have traditionally. The discount of 10% could easily be rationalized as customer acquisition expense, though I have no insight into any of our sponsor's thinking or rationale. It could have just as easily been that they wanted to support the org and believe in what we're building and doing.
So the influx of new comped members wasn't an issue?
Not at all. We were all pleased. And it seemed as though - even though many of the new members weren't folks who read the article - they quickly got what the ECA is and that there's a lot more to it than all of the perks and discounts.
And next...
Next, we depleted the codes pretty quickly...a bit faster than expected, but not by much. Plus we had the back-up batch, which we implemented fairly quickly. After six months of experience, users were familiar with the process and knew the timeframe required for the merchant to create new unique one-time use codes, get them over to us, and for our IT folks to upload them into the back-end. The problem came when users found that each batch of codes were programmed slightly differently and if you exploited that difference you could essentially "game" the system - tricking it into "stacking" with codes from a different batch.
What did that "stacking" entail?
We notified the partner that there was an issue with their programming and that there was an exploit that some -albeit very few - people were taking advantage of. Those users were reporting that they could stack the coupons. Instead of getting 10% off, they could get 20%.
Wow. Once that got out it must have been pandemonium?
Not really. The partner requested a code attrition and usage report, which we provided, and they began doing their own analysis. Despite what you'll hear from the trade, retail margins don't leave a lot of room for promotions for 20% off, traditionally. But the number of people exploiting the system was fairly small as a percentage. The problem was exacerbated by a land rush for codes by opportunistic members. The way the system was designed permitted any one member to download one coupon at a time, use it once and have to log back in to retrieve another. Though they had just begun working on a long-awaited multi-use code... one which could be assigned one per member and used multiple times. There was also some discussion about tying their membership account to their merchant one, for the same purpose.
That sounds like a logical solution. But that never developed?
No. During that same time, we began throttling the code distribution process...so that users could only download one per day, temporarily, solving the problem. Users quickly realized that if they quit the association, many calling our Accounting department directly, they could quit and re-join, using the free trial offer, and download an infinite number of codes. A related issue with that was that our emergency supply was then depleted much faster than we anticipated. Some of those users... again, very few, began uploading them to re-sell on eBay. That practice was a breach of their membership agreement, but the financial rewards of joining for free, downloading coupons for free and then selling them, was very appealing to them. Our Legal department worked with eBay to get those auctions removed, but the herculean work which resulted in very fast removals, was done by many of our new members - who appreciated the fact that if this wasn't stopped, it would likely result in an end to the promotion. They were really great.
How did you address closing the loophole?
Well, this is yet another one of the confluence of factors that occurred: we were doing a system-wide upgrade to the back-end software that runs the sites. Each time we build or customize modules it's a learning process. Again, there aren't any other non-profit entertainment consumer organizations to model after, so it's very often a matter of building what we think we'll need, having it be scalable, and then watching how well it addresses our needs. In doing the upgrade, the development company left a non-functioning button "live" that shouldn't have been. I believe it was for about three weeks that a feature that looked to disable auto-renewing of one's account could be selected - giving them the false impression that our software - and our architecture - was able to accommodate that request. So just to reiterate, it never worked.
I can see how that would present a problem.
Indeed. Since our staffers are all members, we wouldn't see the option to know that it was there. We, of course, had the developers remove the button as soon as we were made aware. Since it would be a year before those folks would have to renew - and the vast majority of them were the new free trial folks - we knew we had some time to sort through it, rectify the problem and explain the situation to those effected users - with our apologies and a token of our thanks for their understanding. But the code problems persisted while the partner sorted through things and worked on the new solution. Stacking three codes from three batches yielded a 30% discount and those using the exploit were getting more and more aggressive in the size of their orders - no longer buying a game or two. Joining, getting a code, calling and quitting, re-joining and getting another code and placing ever-larger orders was the breaking point. Plus, those contacting us weren't particularly pleasant to deal with when confronted about the practice.
So you've got a real problem brewing now and not a lot of options for solving it?
Exactly. We changed the method for quitting the association temporarily to mailing in the notice. The rationale was that the only people we'd ever... to the best of my knowledge... had leave the org before, were people who forgot to renew or update their credit cards and there were very few of those. By requesting that members mail in a termination notice, the only people affected were those taking advantage of the system and they were none-too-pleased with the move. If you thought they were difficult to deal with before, they were now incensed. Communications devolved into very very rude and abusive voicemail and email messages. Our staff wasn't prepared for that or for the vulgarity. I didn't want anyone having to deal with that, nor should they have to.
Did the codes come back?
No. As the partner was working on their single code solution, it all was coming to a head. We ran out of the balance of the emergency batch and were awaiting the newly enhanced codes - a process that had taken from one to two weeks before. We removed the ads which promoted that discount and dealt with the feedback from members who were getting increasingly impatient for the next batch. A few people even sent nasty emails to the merchant in an effort to make them aware of their displeasure with having to wait. Some other members started getting angry that an advertised promotion wasn't online, so they accused us of bait-and-switch and became more threatening. We updated the sponsor's listing on the partnership page to indicate that they were still supportive of the org and our efforts, but that the promotion was suspended, as we didn't know if or when another would be offered. But changing the language just made those who were upset even more angry, demanding that we somehow force the partner to provide another offer. But shortly after, we heard what we were dreading: that the exploits and comments were just getting to be too much. Had there been just a little more time or patience, the new multi-use codes would have come in and all would have been well.
Wow! OK. I didn't realize that tensions were so high?
No one did. We're talking about a very small group of people to be fair, but they were free trial members who wanted initially to get a refund and then later demanded that their membership not auto-renew until and unless more discounts came available. We responded back letting them know that more, in fact, had come online and several more were almost contracted and done, but that the button they thought they used wasn't functional. They demanded that we bring it back online and weren't happy to learn that it just wasn't that simple. When they heard that we wanted a mailed letter for termination, they went viral and began a coordinated campaign to attack the association.
But if the group was so small, how effective could they be?
Again, playing Monday morning quarterback, I can say that I had no idea. They continued escalating the situation and incensing other members, rallying them to their cause. We heard the feedback on wanting to have the option of not auto-renewing online, which made a lot of sense, but wasn't an option with the current design. They began reaching out to several media outlets, telling them that we were running a scam and taking their money without giving them the option to leave or not auto-renew. We were blindsided.
...which was when you released the reaction statement?
Right. I tried to explain the situation and address the concerns of members who were becoming aware of issues by reading the stories. They had no idea what was going on and out of context, panicked, and rightly-so. Out of context we sound like horrible greedy people and they sound like victims who've been taken advantage of. The release was intended to answer questions, allay concerns and explain what the actions of this group have done. Unfortunately, it wasn't received by everyone that way. I never meant to offend and I certainly apologize.
Were there a lot of people upset by the release?
No, not that we're aware of. I think the vast majority of members weren't even aware that there was a problem and those who were and read the statement largely took it the way it was intended. I think the folks that I upset probably read the statement via one of the blogs on-going coverage - which usually included negative commentary from the writer. Those folks, having read it that way and reading the ensuing comments below those articles, were really concerned - wondering what happened to the association and what was going on. In the mean time, a few people continued to escalate their attacks, from personal assaults on staff members in the form of slander and libel, to inciting others to contact the Better Business Bureau (BBB), then the Attorney General's (AG) office and then finally our partners, merchants and credit card providers. They demanded that we reinstitute the non-functioning button and permit them to cancel by phone and email - while, all the time, communicating that message in as hateful and vile a correspondence as you can imagine.
What was the reaction from all of the people they were trying to convince not work with ECA anymore?
Really great. Most reacted by saying that they understood the situation and they have similar problems from time to time. The BBB folks also were very understanding and we're continuing to work with them, providing them with whatever documentation and information they request. We had one partner temporarily suspend their current offer for members, wanting to wait to see how the situation was resolved. And we had another who was approached directly by the inciters, who who chose to side with them - but to be fair, he very likely knew nothing of the situation at the time. Everyone else reaffirmed their commitment to the association and, in a few examples, even provided us with valuable feedback.
Do you have any sense of who these folks are?
Absolutely. We know precisely who they are - we have all of their information, of course. Seriously?! Now again, I should be clear that when I refer to the core group, I'm referring to the same people we've been discussing all along; not everyone who is concerned, upset or anxious. I think that those folks were likely relieved to see a new FAQ that we posted in the forums, earlier this past weekend, which explains that we're working on an auto-renew process, that it'll be substantially-similar to other major online gaming services or membership orgs in its design, and that we don't alter their credit card information...
Was that a concern as well?
Only recently. I believe that came to the surface from one of the newer folks who was generally concerned after reading all of the different forums posts. They looked through our membership agreement and came across a section where we state that we could alter expiration dates to process their renewals. It was part of the boiler plate. And again, makes sense in context: I want to renew, but my card just expired. Having that clause would enable us to make the transaction go through, so it never occurred to anyone that it was a bad thing. We never used it and couldn’t imagine other circumstances under which we would. But it was spun or interpreted to mean that we're going to renew you whether you like it or not! I can appreciate that concern, especially framed with all of the other stuff; so, after discussing it, we removed that section entirely.. Legalese, while complex out of necessity sometimes, can also be made clear. I believe that's been our position with EULA standardizations, generally, as well.
There was also some question about how best to communicate to the membership?
Yes, some members asked if we could communicate any significant changes to the membership agreement – such as our removal/rewording of that sub-section we just discussed. As a result of that suggestion, we said that that’s fair and the best way to do so would be via our member’s only monthly newsletter, going forward.
Are you concerned with how this has been playing out?
Of course, very. It’s been grueling on our staff and especially on our forums moderators, who have been on the front lines. On the other hand, getting feedback from members – when it’s communicated civilly – can be really productive. A lot of the things we’ve discussed reflect that open channel of communications where they provide suggestions and comments and we can assess the need and determine how best to address it. But it’s when those lines of communication fall apart, and the discussions happen on other forums, that it’s less productive.
So why take the ECA forums off-line?
Fair enough. That was my decision. Having read all of the discussion and debate all of the issues, it seemed to me that it had all been asked and answered. All of the opinions had been stated and as many of the updates that were available were posted. We hadn’t done a major update to the system – with security patches, with new features and new registration criteria – in some time, so it seemed like a good place to give everyone a break. Like with the other things we’ve said we’re working on, so too will the forums be addressed.
Other major online gaming services have had similar problems with user complaints, why is it so much more emotional with this situation?
With online gaming services, they’re delivering much more of a product than a service in my estimation. So when they went through backlash from users who were upset with their termination policies, there was that difference. Then there’s the fact that many – although not most – of our concerned members were the free trial folks, who didn’t have to pay to join. As compared with the members who did, there may be a mind frame difference. Gaming services cost money; there’s a value proposition, users weigh the pros and cons and commit to join or not. With ECA, we go through that same process, albeit at a much lower price threshold, and the reasons for joining are less about value for the dollar – again, referring to the paid users – and more about what the org does holistically. My guess is that the paid folks are more likely to be involved actively in our advocacy efforts, reading our newsletters and publications and generally aware of the non-benefits areas in which we’re involved. Similarly, the free trial members are probably more likely to be aware of the latest partners and offers that we’ve added as member benefits. That said, our members have an emotional connection with ECA that they probably don’t have – at least in the same way – with an online gaming service.
So where are you now and what’s the plan for moving forward?
As was addressed in the FAQ, we’re working on adding a new module for online account termination as one of the lead priorities. Since they’ve been down this road and had the back and forth with their customers, we can be fairly sure that the systems that are being used now are ones that our folks will be comfortable with. Getting an option to remove auto-renewals will also be addressed in this same build-out, as will be the notification date.
And where does the ECA stand with those members who still want to cancel?
Well, I’d hope that they’d understand that we’re working to address the issues that we’ve discussed at length here, but that these things do take time. I know that asking patience at an emotionally-charged time isn’t the easiest, but I think they’ll feel assured that we haven’t mislead them as they begin to see each of these things come to fruition. If they still decide to part ways, I can’t say that I understand, but I can say that I respect their decision. Look, all of this is new – to them and to us. We need to just do the best that we can and work toward solutions that we’re all comfortable with. That’s really the best that we can do and I hope that they’re willing to be a part of that.
Is there anything else you’d like to add regarding the issue?
Yeah, again, just to restate my sincere apology for anyone who was offended by our statement last week, who felt unintentionally lumped-in with the group that I was referencing. That was never my intention, and feel badly for not being more clear. It really is in all our best interests to work together, learn from the issue and continue to focus on the important work that still needs to be done.

In my opinion, if the ECA follows through with what he's saying they will have done a lot to fix this. Also, a lot of his explanation and tone is much friendlier and clearer. They seemed to be listening to ours and others concerns and making right. For that, I applaud them.

12/9: The ECA has removed the section of the TOS referring to their ability to change your CC's expiration date, again a positive change that they should be commended for.

--------------
12/7 update:

Latest word from the ECA's Gypsyfly:
"Right now ECA is working on implementing an online option for members which will require creating a new business, accounting, and site module as the site never had this option. They will also notify members of policies changes via their members newsletters even though they are not required to, some items in the TOS will also be updated moving forward to better reflect the needs of members."

I'd recommend waiting a bit before spending the time and money on a certified letter, we'll hopefully be able to cancel a more convenient way soon.

12/4 update: the eca has a new faq that includes info about canceling. They still require written notice. While they say it doesn't need to be traceable, I'd still recommend it given part 12 of their terms. They also now say they are working on another way to cancel and an option to disable auto renew.
http://forums.theeca.com/showthread.php?t=7158
What is the annual membership fee?
The annual dues for membership in the ECA are $19.99 per year for normal membership, and $14.99 for student and military members (with a valid dot edu or dot mil domain extension). To join the association, click here.

What benefits are there associated with ECA membership?
The organization is dedicated to providing a wealth of community and affinity benefits to our members.* With membership, you can connect with like-minded gamers, explore career and educational opportunities in the business, start or join one of our network of chapters across the US and Canada, and much more.*Take a few minutes to check out our website to explore the advocacy issues that we work on, the empowerment tools that we provide, the accomplishments we’ve made and the other benefits of membership. We also have a more general FAQ, which may be helpful, available here.

What do I get in terms of actual dollar value for my $19.99 dues?
The member benefits section of the website provides a detailed explanation, but our goal is to provide members with access to a whole host of goods and services, such as low cost insurance, to advocacy campaigns, to discounts with retail partners. As a member of the ECA, you should be spending considerably less each year on goods and services because you’ll have access to them through us at a much cheaper/more compelling rate(s). The list is fairly long and is constantly being updated with new offers, but members can access the full roster of offers on the site.

Since the ECA is a non-profit, are my dues payments tax-deductable?
No. The association is a 501(c)(4) non-profit membership organization. You may be thinking of 501(c)(3) charitable organizations. For more information about the differences between different classifications of non-profits, try here.

Once I join will my membership auto-renew?
Yes. At the time of your registration, you are asked to provide a major credit card so that on your anniversary date you can be automatically renewed for the following year as standard practice – not dissimilar to parallel membership organizations or major online gaming services. Nearing your anniversary date we remind you that your term is coming to an end so that you can take action to update your credit card information or cancel your membership.

Can I choose to have my membership NOT auto-renew online?
The system is presently not set up for this, but due to membership feedback we have been actively working on solutions that should make it so. We’re modeling some of the other leading online games services and membership associations, so the process should be familiar and use best practices.

Wasn’t there a button that I could check to deselect auto-renewing?
For a brief period of time, some users may have seen a non-functioning button that referred to cancelling auto-renewal. This was due to developer error during a system upgrade to the back-end. It was removed as soon as we were made aware to avoid confusion and because it never had that functionality. However, the new enhancements we’re working on will address this option.

What happens if my credit card expires?
The ECA requires all members in good standing to have updated credit cards on file. This is for several reasons, not the least of which is that the system was designed to reduce overhead and back-end expenses. The credit card disclaimer – which can be found right above the section where new members are prompted for their details – explains that the card will not be charged again until your anniversary date (not unlike other non-profit membership organizations, online gaming services, or health club memberships for that matter). If new members are unwilling or unable to fully complete their registration information, we do not process their application. If your credit card expires or is lost/stolen, your profile must be updated so that you have a valid credit card capable of paying your dues on file with the association. The ECA does not automatically update expired credit cards.

Can I cancel my membership at any time?
You may terminate your active membership in the association at any time. However, refund requests will not be processed. Like with any other membership org, many of the benefits are accessible immediately upon joining. If this policy were not in place, people could join the association, take advantage of the benefits and seek a refund immediately afterward. It is disclosed in your Membership Terms & Conditions, which you can find here.

How do I cancel my membership?
While we build out the new accounting module, discussed above, we cannot accept emailed or voicemail cancellation requests at this time. We understand that it may be frustrating, but we ask for your patience while we work to enhance the system. In the interim, if you wish to cancel your ECA membership, simply send us a letter to the address listed below. (A certified letter is not required.) Please include your full membership details (full contact info and in as much detail as possible). Your membership will be terminated once processed and you will receive correspondence back, confirming your cancellation.

Entertainment Consumers Association (ECA)
Attn: Accounting Department
64 Danbury Rd, Suite 700
Wilton, CT *06897

What if I prefer not to send a letter to cancel my membership?
Until the new system is implemented, we can only accept mailed cancellation requests. We thank you for your patience and understanding during this time and will share the details of the update shortly.

Where can I find the ECA’s Privacy Policy, Terms of Membership and Membership Agreement?
As a consumer advocacy organization, the rights of consumers are the ECA’s priority. We also have a fiduciary responsibility to the organization as a whole and to the members individually. For those reasons our policies and agreements are modeled after the leading non-profit membership organizations and are available at the bottom of every page of our website. But for quick reference, our Privacy Policy can be found here and our Membership Terms & Conditions, here.

I’ve joined the association, but am having trouble accessing my account or logging-in.

Welcome! The system will send an authentication email to the address you provided in the first step, as well as a registration message acknowledging your complimentary subscription to ECA Today, our week-nightly HTML-based newsletter. You must click on the link in the authentication email to proceed to step two and finalize your registration. If you received the newsletter email, you will likely also receive the authentication message. Check your spam folder. If you didn’t receive either message, or you didn’t receive the authentication email after a short period of time, it may be that your ISP is blocking the email, or our message triggered something in your router’s filter settings. Just email us for additional help.

Does the ECA offer working journalists complimentary memberships?
We do offer members of the media a limited number of complimentary memberships in the association. For all media inquiries, please email [email protected] to communicate directly with our public relations staff.

How can I find out more about what the ECA is doing or has accomplished?
If you want to know how to get involved in any of the issue areas in which we’re engaged, try our action center here. We also keep members abreast of our activities via our week-nightly HTML-based newsletter, ECA Today, as well as our Monthly Member Newsletter, which broadly keeps you informed. And if you still have a question, comment or concern, you could always try our Forums.

I’d like to get the word out and help recruit new members, is there an affiliate program in place?
Yes. ECA is both a Publisher and Advertiser with Commission Junction, which is how we work with affiliate partners, so we would refer you to their website to connect via their portal, here.
Last edited by ezacharyk; Today at 08:29 PM.

I am pleased progress is being made, I still strongly feel they need to send an email to all members stating that the disable auto renew feature was never functioning. Also, while they say the feature was only available for a short time, there are indications it was available as far back as March and as late as the end of October (thanks blisskr for finding these posts). I wouldn't consider that a short period time, certainly its long enough to necessitate personal notice to all of their members. Please also note a mod responds to the March post and makes no mention of its non-functionality. I would also think that means they should have known about the button as early March, yet it was not removed until several months later. Additionally, according to several CAGs, the nonfunctional button gave verification that the auto renewal feature was canceled. It's very difficult to trust someone with your credit card information if such a major mistake is left on their website for months.

I am well aware that this is not a deal and many will flame me and say this is the wrong forum or that this is a re-post. However, at one point it seems like the majority of CAGs gave these people their credit card information in order to sign up for a paid or "free" membership. It should be emphasized that everyone who became a member(including free ones) had to give their credit card info, in case you have forgotten. Many if not all who signed up immediately canceled the auto renew billing feature using the website. It appears that it is now ECA's stance that anyone who did this did not actually cancel because it was never a working part of their website. They claim that the auto renew feature was only available for a limited time and never actually did anything because of some glitch, but anecdotal evidence from CAGs suggest it was online for several weeks and possibly months. Up to this point, they have refused to adequately accept responsibility for this mistake and have failed to personally notify their members of this problem. The original thread where I got this info from is found here, full credit should be given to Cager arcane93 for pointing all this out in this thread.

The ONLY way you can cancel your membership is by a letter through some form of TRACEABLE mail.

send your cancellation here, which according to their terms must be sent 30 days prior to your renewal date:
[FONT=&quot]Attn: Accounting, ECA, 64 Danbury Road, Suite 700, Wilton, CT 06897-4406. [/FONT]

What info is needed to cancel?
Just say you want to cancel and include your full name and email.

THERE IS NO WAY TO TURN OFF AUTO RENEW- you can only cancel your membership, they say here that "You will be notified a month before hand of your account expiring. So you have time to cancel if you decided to do so." But according to section 4 of their terms you must cancel 30 days prior to your renewal date. Obviously, this is highly problematic.

---for those concerned about potential unwanted charges: the charge shows up as: "ENT. CONSUMER ASSOC" Phone number 203-761-6180 CT"

Here are some tidbits from the ECA mod's themselves, taken from their forum:

Was there a button for auto-renewing?
Yes, for some browsers, but it wasn’t intended to be there, wasn’t a working option and was removed as soon as we became aware

Why can’t we terminate via email?
Because the org has grown too large to handle the volume and requiring a mailed piece separates those who are serious from those who are lazy or finicky – joining and leaving repeatedly – and it gives us written documentation, a paper trail to reconcile against

Notable Parts of their terms of service:

[FONT=&quot]5.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Right to update Credit Card Account Information[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. If the credit card provided by Member to ECA has expired during an attempt to bill fees per section 4, ECA will revise the expiration date and proceed with billing using the same credit card account.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once they start getting mail Monday and Tuesday, that button will reappear like magic.

That's really not the point any more. The issue is how they reacted to the people they're supposedly representing over a simple problem; with disdain, lies, and exclusion.

[quote name='trq']The cancellation method isn't written in Aramaic. Clearly the ECA didn't make it easy to cancel, but that's the point: they don't want it to be easy to join, take advantage of their benefits, and then leave. [/QUOTE]

When I was in college, I worked at a telemarketing agency. At the beginning, we were just calling people who used Quicken products to try to sell them upgrades to their software. The company I worked for lost that account after about a year and quickly moved on to various scams. The worst one was that we would call people and offer them a free Disney ornament. The way it worked, the first one was free. The second one came two weeks later and cost $9.99. After another two weeks, a total of 50 ornaments were sent to the person at once and their card was charged for $1,000. All this was spelled out in the 30-second legal disclaimer we read at the end of the call, after people had given us their credit card info. I quit shortly after we started that bullshit.

What the ECA has done isn't nearly as egregious as the above example, but it's a very similar business model. It's the approach of "make it easy to join, give people the illusion of a cost-free incentive to do so and then charge as many of them as possible as much as possible down the road." Coming from a business, that's shady. Coming from a non-profit organization, it's disgusting.

There are several legitimate approaches the ECA could've taken. First and foremost, they should've never made it difficult to cancel, as that automatically sets off warning bells to anyone that's ever heard of an organization scamming people. Beyond that, they could've never put out the free memberships. People that paid $20 to join might've heard about their organization because of the promotion, but they likely read over the website to make sure they were interested in supporting them before opening their wallets. Making all new members pay dues to join would've resulted in legitimate growth to their organization.

If the ECA really felt it needed to use a free membership promotion to bolster it's ranks, they should've managed it much better. Yes, it drew a shitload of people who cared only for the promotion. They could've tried to capitalize on that by getting their message out there to everyone that signed up and hoping a percentage of people read their materials and decided to stick around, growing their ranks. While a lot of people would've joined and quit when the Amazon thing ended, at least some would've stuck around.

Put frankly, a non-profit organization has no business trying to trick money out of the people it claims to represent. I've been a dues-paying member of multiple well-known national organizations in the past. Unless you've opted-in to automatic renewal, those organizations send emails and snail-mail requests for dues when your membership is up for renewal. If something like the ACLU or NRA tried to automatically charge members and then hid behind obscure wording in their terms of service, it'd be a national news story and they'd lose a lot of support. If you want to run a successful non-profit, you've got to be all about doing the best by the people that support you. You don't lure them in and then try to bend their arm. When you do, you get the kind of blow-up that's been persistent in this thread and other places on the web.

For anyone ever thinking about starting a non-profit, if you're trying to grow your donor/member base by offering people an incentive to join and then referring to the small print when they want to leave, you're fucking doing it wrong.

As far as I know, on my ECA account page there's a paragraph that gives the exact account closing date.

I take a screenshot of that page every day.

I don't care their TOA says. I clicked the button. That's a fact. You can't tell me AFTERWORDS that it doesn't work.

Whether web cancellation was or was not included in the TOA at the exact time of me clicking that button doesn't mean shit. The only way they can invalidate my button click is if their agreement had stated explicitly that "clicking the cancel auto-renew button does NOT cancel the auto-renewal."

Haha, peace.

i think hal and the eca have to grow up and put on some big boy pants. forget the amazon disaster or the free membership, how can you have a website with an online signup and not have a way to cancel online? It's either a tremendous lack of foresight or incredible incompetence. Either way if hal has any stones, heads have to roll. second no matter what happens this is bad, or at least it could have been better, a powerful eca with good intentions could have really been a force of good for us, hal should understand this problem is bigger than any cancel button, eca blew it and blew it on his watch. third eca needs to recognize this has nothing to do with amazon, all of this crap is due to the free memberships. We all know there are freebie hunters out there, I can't believe they didn't. Their solution of one amazon code a day to prevent the freebie grabbers was crap because they just grabbed another account. And for the record i don't work for eca, or am i an eca appologist, I payed for my membership, I only had one, and came out slightly ahead after using the amazon discount. So I'm not bitter, I say thanks eca, now put on those big boy pants and fix this. I think eventually they will, if for no other reason than to avoid all the mail.

[quote name='maxfisher']When I was in college, I worked at a telemarketing agency. At the beginning, we were just calling people who used Quicken products to try to sell them upgrades to their software. The company I worked for lost that account after about a year and quickly moved on to various scams. The worst one was that we would call people and offer them a free Disney ornament. The way it worked, the first one was free. The second one came two weeks later and cost $9.99. After another two weeks, a total of 50 ornaments were sent to the person at once and their card was charged for $1,000. I quit shortly after we started that bullshit.[/QUOTE]

I had a roommate in college who worked for a telemarketing company for 2 days before quitting after getting an old lady to sign up for their scam. They were selling memberships to a discount program that would give discounts that could be found for free. It was literally next to impossible to cancel the program. He said a ton of the people he would cold call to sign up for the membership would say they were members and that they'd been trying to cancel for months but the phone number they were always given to cancel was never answered. He was told by his manager to just hang up on those people. It's really sickening what some companies will do for money.

[quote name='Angelwatch']Yes, I TOTALLY want to give money to a consumer advocacy group that I disagree with completely and don't trust. Why didn't I see the light sooner?

P.S. That was sarcasm[/QUOTE]

So why would you sign up with a consumer advocacy group you disagree with completely? Oh yeah. Benefits.

[quote name='jaynatch']Wow, talk about completely missing the point. Promotional discounts are one of the benefits of their advocacy, and they advertise this. Joining to receive benefits is not dishonest in any way, it's there to attract members. But, regardless of reasons for joining, they're still a completely shady and illegitimate organization. You use the word "obligation". Where when I signed up did it say I was obliged to keep paying $20 a year for the rest of my life? Where did it say I was obliged to spend money on a certified letter to cancel an account? It said that nowhere. I wasn't obligated to do anything.[/QUOTE]

Fair points, but not entirely on target. First off, the promotional benefits aren't the reason for joining a consumer advocacy group, precisely for reasons like this. That's like joining the Girl Scouts because you want a discount on cookies. The reasons you join are to support the organization's mission statement and goals. The benefits are perks for members, and the Terms clearly state that they come and go. If you're there for an ultimately ephemeral benefit, you get what you deserve when it vanishes, and it's perfectly reasonable to try to prevent people from coming when there's a good benefit, and leaving when there isn't. Remember this: the twenty bucks you paid (if you actually paid, that is) isn't "buying" you those perks. Those perks are negotiated with the sponsors as a means of attracting enough people to give the organization some legislative weight, which benefits those sponsors in the end. Your twenty bucks actually go towards wooing Congressman ABC, who's going to be voting on that games bill, or hiring Lawyer XYZ, who's beaten Jack Thompson in court previously.

The only things that are different about the ECA now versus the ECA however many months back are the cancellation policy and the Amazon code; the overall goals are still exactly the same, and the reason an informed individual would actually sign up in the first place. And since cancelling because "cancelling is a hassle" doesn't make a lot of sense ... In short: no, I don't buy the sudden case of the consciences that seems to have hit a lot of people who -- hey, look at that! -- are coincidentally also out an Amazon code.

What the ECA really probably should have done is just grandfathered the cancellation policy. Anyone who signed up before it was in place abides by the old terms; if you signed up after, too bad, so sad. It's really in the ECA's interests to let the perk-hunters and exploiters go -- they're not the kind of people it really wants to keep around. After all, what do they know or care about Net Neutrality, or games and the First Amendment? Not much, clearly, or they'd still be members. So via con dios. But once you're out, you can't rejoin with benefits -- they're for "first time" members (and, y'know: people who aren't trying to scam the system) only.

[quote name='Squarehard']I wasn't aware that we caused ECA to become a terrible and totally unreliable company that lie out of their ass. I was under the impression that they did that to themselves and we are the fallout of that and when we signed up for it, we weren't under the impression we were going to get screwed. I appreciate trying to be clever. Really, I do. Here's an applause for it.

:applause:[/QUOTE]

Guess we just have different definitions of "screwed." Yours entails having to pony up 44 cents for a stamp. Here, let me get out my tiny violin ...

Also? Stop saying "company." They're a company in only the loosest sense of the word, and if you're going to try to make grown-up complaints about business practices, it behooves you to use the word correctly, so that is sounds like you know what you're talking about.

[quote name='kodave']Whether or not that button ever worked doesn't really matter.[/quote]Exactly! And it's not my problem.

The ECA is just going to claim it didn't work and there is absolutely no record of anyone who used it.
Good for them, not my problem. Bank of America has already been informed of their deceptive practices and that I've canceled with them.

Consider it the equivalent of a huge stack of cancellation letters coming in, but then the office catches fire and they're all destroyed before they can even read the names on the envelopes. Yeah, you did something, but the ECA has no way of knowing who sent in their cancellation notice. So they ask you to kindly do it again. Their database is going to show no record of anyone having ever checked the box, so no, you won't come up as ever having checked that box.
It's so "funny" that my credit card information wasn't lost in the fire! ;)

No lawyer and bank is going to take the time to investigate it when a new remedy has appeared: The option to just do that again in all of 30 seconds, of which you'll have had 9 months of notice to do so.
Clearly you've never disputed a credit card charge.

You're going to look like an idiot when you claim you clicked a button when you didn't print out a confirmation page or screen shot or any other proof that the "disable auto-renew" button was checked, especially when you had 9 months to take 30 seconds to do it all over again.
Bank of America, again, has already been informed that I canceled with them.

Your bank isn't going to take the time to file suit against the ECA to try and get a forensic computer scientist in there to examine their database and any and all changes they may have ever made to it. Maybe the AG of CT would be more likely to do that, but once he sees that the ECA claimed it was all a mistake and that they've come up with online cancellation, he's just going to give them a slap on the wrist and walk away.
Not my problem, I'll be refunded and the rest is between BoA and ECA. I hope it's a rip roarin' good time.

After the ECA gives us notice of the online cancellation option and says that it didn't work in the past, then you're going to be in a really hard position 9 months from now trying to argue your way out of that $20 charge.
Again, I'm in a great position, ECA's deceptive practices are already on record with my bank's customer service.

In short, don't be a retard, just cancel your account in a few days when the option re-appears.
Nah, I'm cool, thanks.

We've backed the ECA into a corner and they have no choice but to let us cancel online. Then everyone can just walk away soon rather than squabble with banks in 9 months.
I won't be squabbling with any banks, I'll be making a 2 minute phone call - but thanks for your concern.

[quote name='trq']
Guess we just have different definitions of "screwed." Yours entails having to pony up 44 cents for a stamp. Here, let me get out my tiny violin ...
[/QUOTE]

Here, you can borrow mine. :-({|=

Because of course this whole entire argument is about the money. You're great. Keep up the good work.

[quote name='trq']So why would you sign up with a consumer advocacy group you disagree with completely? Oh yeah. Benefits.[/QUOTE]

Are you one if the mods from the ECA (talking mainly about Gameslaw)? You do an excellent job of ignoring what people say and what people do. Did anyone of us know they would do this prior to it happening? They have in the FAQ or TOA that in a few months they would remove a non functioning button and fail for inform us?

Angelwatch is not talking about paying to sign up, but paying to renew. When he/she signed up he/she did trust the organization, but NOW do not after recent events. But no that can not be, the only reason people joined was for benefits and when they are bad, bad people....

You seem like someone that would argue a case of salmonella when someone got it from some food at Walmart and then complained. Stating to them they should have known prior to buying the food. The argument just doesn't make sense, much like the one in this thread, and has no real backing other than your made up reason.

The least you could do is actually respond real answers to people instead of making up a answer that benefits your point of view and ignores what the poster actually meant.

You're dismissing their current idiocy trq. I don't see how someone isn't justified in wanting to leave the organization, even if they agree with its goals, due to the way they've handled this.

If you want to stop people from signing up over and over again, then disable the free sign-up code, or, I dunno, just stop people from signing up over and over again. Block their email addresses/names/addresses/card numbers or whatever is necessary. You don't make it harder for everyone to cancel (and that's also ignoring that everybody doesn't necessarily want to cancel, they just don't want it to automatically renew). Either they haven't thought it out very well or they're lying about their reasons. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and if that they correct what they've done wrong then I'll consider supporting them.

[quote name='trq']So why would you sign up with a consumer advocacy group you disagree with completely? Oh yeah. Benefits.

Fair points, but not entirely on target. First off, the promotional benefits aren't the reason for joining a consumer advocacy group, precisely for reasons like this. That's like joining the Girl Scouts because you want a discount on cookies. The reasons you join are to support the organization's mission statement and goals. The benefits are perks for members, and the Terms clearly state that they come and go. If you're there for an ultimately ephemeral benefit, you get what you deserve when it vanishes, and it's perfectly reasonable to try to prevent people from coming when there's a good benefit, and leaving when there isn't. Remember this: the twenty bucks you paid (if you actually paid, that is) isn't "buying" you those perks. Those perks are negotiated with the sponsors as a means of attracting enough people to give the organization some legislative weight, which benefits those sponsors in the end. Your twenty bucks actually go towards wooing Congressman ABC, who's going to be voting on that games bill, or hiring Lawyer XYZ, who's beaten Jack Thompson in court previously.

The only things that are different about the ECA now versus the ECA however many months back are the cancellation policy and the Amazon code; the overall goals are still exactly the same, and the reason an informed individual would actually sign up in the first place. And since cancelling because "cancelling is a hassle" doesn't make a lot of sense ... In short: no, I don't buy the sudden case of the consciences that seems to have hit a lot of people who -- hey, look at that! -- are coincidentally also out an Amazon code.

What the ECA really probably should have done is just grandfathered the cancellation policy. Anyone who signed up before it was in place abides by the old terms; if you signed up after, too bad, so sad. It's really in the ECA's interests to let the perk-hunters and exploiters go -- they're not the kind of people it really wants to keep around. After all, what do they know or care about Net Neutrality, or games and the First Amendment? Not much, clearly, or they'd still be members. So via con dios. But once you're out, you can't rejoin with benefits -- they're for "first time" members (and, y'know: people who aren't trying to scam the system) only.

Also? Stop saying "company." They're a company in only the loosest sense of the word, and if you're going to try to make grown-up complaints about business practices, it behooves you to use the word correctly, so that is sounds like you know what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

If you want to ignore the real problems we are upset about and change the subject, than you should still do research first.
ECA's link to profiting off of member subscriptions looks like a good BUSINESS model, not a consumer advocacy model:
http://www.theeca.com/affiliates

BUT, if you really wanna give answers to our concerns, please reply to this post, as I think most of us here have the same problem with the ECA:

[quote name='caltab']I respect your opinion, and won't attack you for having one, but the problem isn't just their cancellation policy. The ECA's website allegedly had a major glitch, and that glitch just so happened to do with the most important source of their future funding- auto renewals. The ECA wasn't giving away free memberships just out of the goodness of their heart- they, like every other entity that does free trial memberships, were banking on renewals. It just so happens, they have a glitch that led any reasonable person to believe they had canceled the auto-renewal(as I have said a vital part of their future funding), and you were even given instant verification. This function wasn't available for a few minutes, or even days...it was up for months. Now the ECA claims that function was a glitch. OK, lets give them the benefit of the doubt that it was....they are OBLIGATED to notify all their members of this glitch. They send out newsletters, they have everyone's email address, it would literally take 2 minutes to send out notification to their members. To date this has not been done. In my opinion, that is indefensible for any organization to do, especially a consumer advocacy group.

It also just so happens that they have a policy to not allow you to simply turn off auto-renewals by any method, but promise to give you 30 days notice of the pending renewal. Coincidentally you must cancel your membership 30 days in advanced. I just don't see how anyone could view this as not being a problem.

I would LOVE for you or someone from the ECA to directly respond to these 2 points...I have been unable to find anyone representing the ECA or defending them willing to do so.

The bothersome snail mail requirement is annoying and not very consumer friendly, but to me that is not the real issue.[/QUOTE]

If you really want to have a meaningful and helpful discussion please do address those 2 issues. End of story.

I never even used an amazon coupon from ECA. I joined because I liked what I read about their cause. However, making it so you can sign up online but not cancel online is one of my biggest pet peeves regarding memberships over the internet. I would never expect a group like the ECA to resort to these type of tactics to retain membership.

It is manipulative and it is unethical. Furthermore, from what I have read from those representing the ECA regarding this entire debacle makes me want to puke. Immature snobbery at it's worst!

It's quite simple: If you can sign up online you should be able to cancel online. This is not just my opinion, this is the policy of my bank, Bank of America. When I called B of A and asked them to block all future charges from ECA... they were already aware of the problem! The woman I spoke with said I was the 4th person that day to call up with concern.

I never even used any discount, period. They treat me this way - not gonna happen charlie!

Has anyone visited theeca in the past day or so?

This is if you try to access membership benefits:

ecafraud1.jpg

And this is you try to access the forum:

ecafraud2.jpg

[quote name='AdultLink']Has anyone visited theeca in the past day or so?

This is if you try to access membership benefits:

And this is you try to access the forum:

[/QUOTE]

My "Benefits" section works just fine - maybe they closed your account?? have you mailed in a gmail card last week? just a thought...

I think many of us here were aware of what the ECA was primarily created to accomplish. The fact you agree with the mission made signing up for the Amazon discount an even easier decision. Do you think people would sign up at the KKK website for $20 so you could get a discount somewhere? No, of course not, they don't want to support the KKK.

Say what you want about being lazy, people trying to exploit the system, and what ever else the ECA apologists are hiding behind. This isn't about $20. The bottom line is that this whole incident has completely discredited Hal Halpin and the ECA as a champion of gamer's rights. How can you believe a group that champions transparency in EULA and DRM, that makes unannounced changes to its own TOS? I mean what the ECA has done here would be like the NAACP discriminating against African-Americans.

I would encourage everyone who actually believes in the "cause" to find an alternative organization to ECA. Now we just need to find one.

Is it any surprise that their professionalism is inept? They're just a handful of people operating out of some little town in Connecticut. Not exactly Grade A business school material. People who have skills that are in demand are usually in real locations where they can make some money.

No offense to anyone living and working there, I'm sure there are exceptions. I, myself, was born there and lived there for 6 years.

[quote name='trq']So why would you sign up with a consumer advocacy group you disagree with completely? Oh yeah. Benefits.

Also? Stop saying "company." They're a company in only the loosest sense of the word, and if you're going to try to make grown-up complaints about business practices, it behooves you to use the word correctly, so that is sounds like you know what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

For myself, I joined for the benefits. I also clicked the auto-renewal button after I joined.

To log onto CAG, and find out that the button didn't work, was confusing at first. Then after reading Hal's comments on the issue, I was pissed. ECA created this problem, then attempted to sucker their members.

I wasn't going to remain a member, and now I'm of the opinion that no one should join this backstabbing-organization. To say they are fighting for gamers, while screwing over those same gamers...Seems contradicting.

But whatever, stay a proud member. I'm sure it'll get rather quiet once the button returns that should have never left, and that I'm sure previously worked.

Here's my personal problems with the ECA: (Warning: Wall-o-text.)

OK, originally, I admit, I joined for the benefits. But I wouldn't have signed up if it still wasn't a cause I agreed with. If it was a group that wanted to ban all violent video games, and gave out 10% codes to buy "family friendly games" or something, no I wouldn't have given them money.

Then came the free subscriptions. I knew as soon as I saw they were giving away subscriptions, things were going to end badly. Talk about joining just for the benefits. However, I must admit, if it was a, I don't know, kitchen appliance advocacy group that had 10% off appliances coupons available, I would have joined for free just in case I needed a coupon. But they offered free memberships with a general, reusuable code and had no expiration date in site. It would be the equivalent if Sam's Club or Costco giving out free memberships to everybody, and then people turning around and wondering why prices have gone up. And just like I'm sure paying members of those clubs would be upset that their organization had changed from low prices for a select group, I was upset that others were getting (and many abusing) what I had paid for, even though I had several months worth of benefits.

Now the stackers. Yes, they were part of the problem. However, if membership hadn't been open up to so many people, this problem would have been limited to a relatively few number of accounts. More people = chances higher for greedy people who will exploit any system possible. Duh!

Finally, once the Amazon codes ran out, the ECA was very insistent that the codes would be back, even saying that codes would be tied to accounts. Now, we can only speculate about the conversations between the two, but I doubt Amazon would have led ECA on to believe that they were having such a hard time to limit 10% discount. The way this was handled left me uncomfortable.

Then came the "we're going to make it as hard for you to cancel as possible." A letter? For an INTERNET-BASED/GEARED ORGANIZATION? Seriously? If you can't handle a SQL database or whatever, you shouldn't be taking my money. Not to mention the changing of the terms of service with no prior notice (which I think is illegal, at the very least, morally bankrupt), and the (shall I say politely) "questionable" statements (button not working, we've had too many cancelers rejoin, etc.)

And sorry, for me, it comes down to this: there are other causes I believe in that are more pressing, and there are several charities that are more in need of my $20. I love video games, but I personally would rather spend $20 looking for a cure for cancer or giving small children a happy Christmas rather than making sure games are uncensored.

In other news, the doc is updated with 574 entries. Looking at getting it out this week. I have a volunteer willing to mail them out if I am unable, which I may be since my printer has decided to be stupid and not print out pages correctly.
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AfBFe-z6aDCCZGp0NndmNF8xZ2Njbnc5Y2Q&hl=en

is it just me or the entire doc is missing? i know you have it backed up, but you might wanna check it out, as there are ECA trolls going through this thread...

[quote name='Reira']Here's my personal problems with the ECA: (Warning: Wall-o-text.)

OK, originally, I admit, I joined for the benefits. But I wouldn't have signed up if it still wasn't a cause I agreed with. If it was a group that wanted to ban all violent video games, and gave out 10% codes to buy "family friendly games" or something, no I wouldn't have given them money.

Then came the free subscriptions. I knew as soon as I saw they were giving away subscriptions, things were going to end badly. Talk about joining just for the benefits. However, I must admit, if it was a, I don't know, kitchen appliance advocacy group that had 10% off appliances coupons available, I would have joined for free just in case I needed a coupon. But they offered free memberships with a general, reusuable code and had no expiration date in site. It would be the equivalent if Sam's Club or Costco giving out free memberships to everybody, and then people turning around and wondering why prices have gone up. And just like I'm sure paying members of those clubs would be upset that their organization had changed from low prices for a select group, I was upset that others were getting (and many abusing) what I had paid for, even though I had several months worth of benefits.

Now the stackers. Yes, they were part of the problem. However, if membership hadn't been open up to so many people, this problem would have been limited to a relatively few number of accounts. More people = chances higher for greedy people who will exploit any system possible. Duh!

Finally, once the Amazon codes ran out, the ECA was very insistent that the codes would be back, even saying that codes would be tied to accounts. Now, we can only speculate about the conversations between the two, but I doubt Amazon would have led ECA on to believe that they were having such a hard time to limit 10% discount. The way this was handled left me uncomfortable.

Then came the "we're going to make it as hard for you to cancel as possible." A letter? For an INTERNET-BASED/GEARED ORGANIZATION? Seriously? If you can't handle a SQL database or whatever, you shouldn't be taking my money. Not to mention the changing of the terms of service with no prior notice (which I think is illegal, at the very least, morally bankrupt), and the (shall I say politely) "questionable" statements (button not working, we've had too many cancelers rejoin, etc.)

And sorry, for me, it comes down to this: there are other causes I believe in that are more pressing, and there are several charities that are more in need of my $20. I love video games, but I personally would rather spend $20 looking for a cure for cancer or giving small children a happy Christmas rather than making sure games are uncensored.

In other news, the doc is updated with 574 entries. Looking at getting it out this week. I have a volunteer willing to mail them out if I am unable, which I may be since my printer has decided to be stupid and not print out pages correctly.
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AfBFe-z6aDCCZGp0NndmNF8xZ2Njbnc5Y2Q&hl=en[/QUOTE]

List is blank for me

[quote name='Reira']OK, originally, I admit, I joined for the benefits.[/QUOTE]

I dont have time so I just stopped reading right there. All I have to say is you've fallen for "the evil amazon benefits members" BS. IT IS OK IF YOU JOINED FOR THE BENEFITS. IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT, AND THERE IS NOTHING TO SHAMEFULLY "ADMIT". You saw an offer, it was good, you accepted it. Don't let any ECA spin goons fool you into thinking this was wrong of you or anyone else.

[quote name='trq']The only things that are different about the ECA now versus the ECA however many months back are the cancellation policy and the Amazon code; the overall goals are still exactly the same, and the reason an informed individual would actually sign up in the first place. And since cancelling because "cancelling is a hassle" doesn't make a lot of sense ... In short: no, I don't buy the sudden case of the consciences that seems to have hit a lot of people who -- hey, look at that! -- are coincidentally also out an Amazon code.[/QUOTE]

The organization I paid $20 to support was one that claimed consumer advocacy, and backed this stance up with both a fairly convenient account cancellation policy and a readily available opt-out of autorenewal. Their stated goals were fine, and while they had not yet done a hell of a lot to accomplish those, I had no beef with the organization, post-research.

When the Amazon codes died, I shrugged and accepted it. Since I'd opted out of auto-renewal, I figured I'd wait six months and see if they did anything in the meantime to justify continued membership.

Then comes the CAG thread wherein I learn the pro-consumer group was planning to bill me for something they had led me to believe I'd opted out of, and that they (at current) had no plans to actually notify me of their intent to ignore my stated wishes not to be billed automatically. Even if they have literally no record of my choice, knowing that a substantial portion of your support base believes you gave them a choice would motivate any truly pro-consumer group to notify consumers.

The ECA did not do that. They, instead, decided to make it more difficult to not give them my money than the terms I agreed to when I signed up.

That is not an organization I want any affiliation with, and there was no way I could have known they'd pull this when I signed up. That they continue to deny all fault actually makes me fairly certain I actively no longer want these people claiming to represent gamer interests, no matter what their webpage claims they believe.

can i have a short summary about what these 150 pages in 4 days is about?

even the first page had a wall o text with no explanation.

[quote name='Dark niwa']can i have a short summary about what these 150 pages in 4 days is about?

even the first page had a wall o text with no explanation.[/QUOTE]

ECA are con artists.

[quote name='Dark niwa']can i have a short summary about what these 150 pages in 4 days is about?

People are upset about being unable to cancel online.

You get 10% off video games at Amazon if you sign up for ECA...and the membership is free!!!

[quote name='x Famous x']People are upset about being unable to cancel online.[/QUOTE]
why'd people join is where im lost. i see something about

20 dollars
free joining
not being able to leave
10% off something
and codes.

^ im not falling for it person above me and 10% off a game is what 6 dollars off, that goes back on with shipping.

Basically, this:

duty_calls.png

"What do you want me to do? LEAVE? Then they'll keep being wrong!"

[quote name='Dark niwa']why'd people join is where im lost. i see something about

20 dollars
free joining
not being able to leave
10% off something
and codes.

^ im not falling for it person above me and 10% off a game is what 6 dollars off, that goes back on with shipping.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, there's probably way to much to explain if you have not been keeping up with ECA from the start. It's probably a better idea to just turn around and walk away from this thread now. :D

[quote name='Dark niwa']why'd people join is where im lost. i see something about

20 dollars
free joining
not being able to leave
10% off something
and codes.

^ im not falling for it person above me and 10% off a game is what 6 dollars off, that goes back on with shipping.[/QUOTE]
Amazon offers free shipping on all orders over $25 or free 2-day if your a prime member.:roll:

20 dollars
free joining
not being able to leave
10% off something
and codes.

Joining was $20 but $15 if you had a .edu email address.

They had codes to use on Amazon that gave you 10% off your purchase. While the codes were one-time use, you could keep generating codes. Basically, by 3-4 $50 games and you already paid off your joining fee. Most games are over $25 so they'd qualify for free s/h.

No one wanted to leave so long as they had the Amazon codes. But when that benefit ended, there was no reason to stick around. And the ECA will keep charging you $15/20 each year until you cancel.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't disagree with them, I actually agreed with them until they decided to screw us over like this.

[quote name='trq']
Fair points, but not entirely on target. First off, the promotional benefits aren't the reason for joining a consumer advocacy group, precisely for reasons like this. [/QUOTE]

I didn't join just for the benefits, although it was the reason I first came across the ECA. However, I actually never used the codes as I didn't happen to buy any games during the time the promotion was offered.

[quote name='trq']The benefits are perks for members, and the Terms clearly state that they come and go. If you're there for an ultimately ephemeral benefit, you get what you deserve when it vanishes, and it's perfectly reasonable to try to prevent people from coming when there's a good benefit, and leaving when there isn't. Remember this: the twenty bucks you paid (if you actually paid, that is) isn't "buying" you those perks. Those perks are negotiated with the sponsors as a means of attracting enough people to give the organization some legislative weight, which benefits those sponsors in the end. Your twenty bucks actually go towards wooing Congressman ABC, who's going to be voting on that games bill, or hiring Lawyer XYZ, who's beaten Jack Thompson in court previously.
[/QUOTE]

I understand exactly what you're saying here. I wasn't pissed at all when they took away the benefit. I still planned on renewing my membership after this point, as I still thought the whole organization was a great idea. Politicians who blame violence on video games really annoy me, and I think adequate representatives to fight for the public image of gamers is essential.

[quote name='trq']

[/QUOTE]

The main difference I see in the ECA between now and a few months ago, is the fact that they had a way to cancel online and now they don't. OK, so thats kind of annoying but not too bad in and of itself. But then they say that anyone who used that function to cancel their account didn't actually have their account canceled. Not only that, but they didn't even bother to notify anyone of this fact.

Again, with the amazon code, I don't care at all about the amazon code. I never even used it.

[quote name='trq']
[/QUOTE]
Agreed some sort of grandfathering system probably would have worked better. But again my biggest gripe here is with the lack of communication. They DIDN'T notify us when the cancellation button wasn't working. They DIDN'T notify us when they changed the TOS. And before anyone says it was written into the TOS that it can change without notification, thats BS. That wouldn't hold up in court and everyone here knows it, plus most legitimate organizations would give this notification as a courtesy.
[quote name='trq']
.[/QUOTE]
I don't care about the money at all. I really don't. I do care that they're deliberately making it difficult to cancel, which is not something a not for profit organization should be doing. I don't care how much some people took advantage of the situation, you just have to suck it up. There's no reason to punish all the legitimate members for a few people gaming the system.
[quote name='trq']
I'm using the word company correctly. You're thinking I'm using the word company as a synonym for corporation, which it really isn't at all. I'm not a fan of quoting definitions but I'm simply using it to describe an organized official group of individuals operating under a public name for a purpose.

And seriously man, this is a pretty lame tactic. Your sentence about "grown-up complaints" is intentionally condescending and has no place in this discussion.

[quote name='icedrake523']Joining was $20 but $15 if you had a .edu email address.

They had codes to use on Amazon that gave you 10% off your purchase. While the codes were one-time use, you could keep generating codes. Basically, by 3-4 $50 games and you already paid off your joining fee. Most games are over $25 so they'd qualify for free s/h.

No one wanted to leave so long as they had the Amazon codes. But when that benefit ended, there was no reason to stick around. And the ECA will keep charging you $15/20 each year until you cancel.[/QUOTE]

They also had free membership around for a little while. This is when they sucked me in. Consumer advocacy and 10% off amazon purchases for free? why not give them the "we have X number of members" power and gain a bit of something for myself.
Making it hard to cancel membership (read: will probably throw away any non-certified snail-mail cancellations) as a consumer advocacy group is not terribly consumer-friendly =(.

[quote name='Haggar']Welcome to CAG.

http://www.pmsclan.com/forum/showpost.php?p=548373&postcount=2[/QUOTE]

Can't blame him/her considering many of us joined the PSM | H20 forums to say some stuff. Of course Famous like many people defending the ECA are defending the wrong point. They always jump on Amazon codes or mailing in a letter when we again repeat our main concern was not being notified from the ECA about the button not working. Actually we have yet to be informed officially....

[quote name='Kaltic'] our main concern was not being notified from the ECA about the button not working. Actually we have yet to be informed officially....[/QUOTE]

It seems like people are constantly forgetting that this was originally the reason people were pissed or should of been pissed about.

[quote name='distgfx']It seems like people are constantly forgetting that this was originally the reason people were pissed or should of been pissed about.[/QUOTE]

And it was the lies and deception that came out of the initial situation that started to make things get worse and worse for them.

[quote name='x Famous x']People are upset about being unable to cancel online.[/QUOTE]

Not my reasoning. The title of the thread sums it up for me:

"ECA: If you canceled your membership online, ECA's stance is you actually did not"

I never keep the auto renew feature on any of these web sites, and to find out never worked and not notifying me of this, is my issue.

Not really sure why talk of Amazon codes and such is coming up. That to me, seems like a separate issue, and I really didn't join for that reason myself.

[quote name='Mindlog']Just stop.[/QUOTE]

Um ... no.

[quote name='Kaltic']I won't call you a troll because if you truly agree with everything the ECA has done then you should be able to express that.[/QUOTE]

There's middle ground to think the ECA has handled things poorly *and* that many of the most vocal complainers are largely just bitter that they can't come and go as they please. I don't actually have to take sides -- you guys have what *they've* done wrong pretty well covered, but not all of your arguments seem particularly well thought-out, credible, or sympathetic to me.

[quote name='Kaltic']But like you and many of the ECA, the point just seems to be lost. The only reason the Amazon codes were brought into the mix is because of Hals statement and that doesn't change the fact that there probably 90 other things that could have done to stop them from being taken like that rather than what they did (again no problem with the letter). The point of this has always (to me at least) been the fact they did not notify us on the matter.[/QUOTE]

Well, no, the reason *I* brought the Amazon codes up is because -- and I did say this before -- there are tons of posts -- literally, in the hundred-plus pages of this very thread -- that completely makes the ECA's point for them. They complain about the codes and little else.

[quote name='confoosious']This is why you shouldn't respond to trolls.[/QUOTE]

Good point. So I won't.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I love the fact that the ECA, its supporters, and people looking to start fights in this thread keep bringing up the Amazon codes. It's their crutch. Fine, most of us joined for the Amazon codes. You're 100% right.[/QUOTE]

See everything else I've written.

[quote name='caltab']I would LOVE for you or someone from the ECA to directly respond to these 2 points...I have been unable to find anyone representing the ECA or defending them willing to do so.

The bothersome snail mail requirement is annoying and not very consumer friendly, but to me that is not the real issue.[/QUOTE]

Totally fair, and not one of the points I would defend them on. As you said, they have everyone's e-mail addresses: they should have used them. That said, I found out about this on *their* forum (which, yes, is conveniently down now) but when it's back up, the thread/post is from November 29, I believe. Whether it was started by an actual ECA employee or a disgruntled member, I can't say, but that would change the degree to which that's a valid complaint. If it's an employee, then that earns them *some* credit. If it was a member, not so much.

[quote name='Ocajavati']No. You still sound like you're fresh out of high school and lack the literacy to comprehend the English language.

If anything else, your post is more of a nerdrage than everyone else's.[/QUOTE]

Damn, you're a brave dude. Way to stand up to the *one* guy who's not completely agreeing.

[quote name='maxfisher']For anyone ever thinking about starting a non-profit, if you're trying to grow your donor/member base by offering people an incentive to join and then referring to the small print when they want to leave, you're fucking doing it wrong.[/QUOTE]

True that.

[quote name='Squarehard']Here, you can borrow mine. :-({|=

Because of course this whole entire argument is about the money. You're great. Keep up the good work.[/QUOTE]

See response to confoosious.

[quote name='Kaltic']Are you one if the mods from the ECA (talking mainly about Gameslaw)? You do an excellent job of ignoring what people say and what people do.[/QUOTE]

Yes. I'm an ECA mod. I clearly don't have any other CAG activity other than "Yay ECA!" threads. Sleeper agent and all that.

[quote name='Kaltic']Angelwatch is not talking about paying to sign up, but paying to renew.[/QUOTE]

Then (s)he was not at all addressing anything I wrote.

[quote name='Kaltic']The least you could do is actually respond real answers to people instead of making up a answer that benefits your point of view and ignores what the poster actually meant.[/QUOTE]

I'm not ignoring anybody, dude -- I just have other stuff to do and it takes a while to respond to the twenty or so people who post for every one I make. The people who have written substantive posts, I've responded to. If I've actually missed any, it's accidental, and you're welcome to point them out.

[quote name='SpazX']You're dismissing their current idiocy trq. I don't see how someone isn't justified in wanting to leave the organization, even if they agree with its goals, due to the way they've handled this.[/QUOTE]

*sigh* Okay. If you say so, then I'll honestly reconsider. That may just be the bottom line: as someone who *doesn't* think they handled everything well, I still don't see why you would want to leave the organization if you actually cared about their goals. I understand being annoyed. Really. But my BS detector went off as all the nerdrage shifted from "But I didn't even get to use the code! What a hassle!" to the more philosophical arguments. So that's it. I don't buy it. But I admit I have little to base that on, other than cynicism.

[quote name='SpazX']Either they haven't thought it out very well or they're lying about their reasons. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and if that they correct what they've done wrong then I'll consider supporting them.[/QUOTE]

I think it's clear they hadn't thought it out very well; if they had, they probably could have foreseen this response. Anyway, that's probably the right position: take 'em to task, and if/when they fix it, consider supporting them again.

On Preview: Since I can't possibly keep up with all the posts that appear while I write, I should probably just let it go at that. Jaynatch, thanks for the post; a good chunk of what you quoted wasn't specifically directed at you, though I'm sure I quoted you in the first place as a jumping off point, and that's my fault. I disagree about one thing -- condescension most certainly has a place here ... just not directed at you. My apologies. ;)

[quote name='trq']but not all of your arguments seem particularly well thought-out, credible, or sympathetic to me.

Yes. I'm an ECA mod.[/QUOTE]

Pot, meet kettle. And I really don't care to debate if your being sarcastic or not, you said it.

[quote name='trq']Yes. I'm an ECA mod. I clearly don't have any other CAG activity other than "Yay ECA!" threads. Sleeper agent and all that.[/QUOTE]

Sweet, then I'll ask this where I can't be silenced.

They always jump on Amazon codes or mailing in a letter when we again repeat our main concern was not being notified from the ECA about the button not working.

You wouldn't happen to know when we will be notified, would you?

Some people only really cared about the discounts, but that's just how it goes, I don't think that justifies the ECA's actions.

I honestly expected them to just release a statement saying they'd fix X, blah blah, say something about the abuse, but then talk about how they know the majority of their membership is honest and they should've done X, they made mistakes, whatever, something along those lines. Then that would've bought them the time to make some changes to make people happy (it seems there may be some people who expected them to instantly correct everything, but all I really wanted to see was some direction towards it).

Instead they just fueled this fire like crazy. Has there been a second statement even? I kind of wandered away from this thread.

EDIT: trq isn't an ECA shill, he's been around here forever.

[quote name='Kaltic'] Actually we have yet to be informed officially....[/QUOTE]
In the Hal Haplin statement it does mention that the button did not function. That should be a good enough statement imo

[quote name='x Famous x']In the Hal Haplin statement it does mention that the button did not function. That should be a good enough statement imo[/QUOTE]

And if a person who thought their account was cancelled didn't happen to stumble across Hal's "statement"?

I personally require all statements of this type to be sent to me via certified mail. I cannot guarantee I'll see anything else.

[quote name='confoosious']Why are you people bothering to argue with trq and X Famous x?

They are clearly ECA shillls. You can't win any logical argument with them.[/QUOTE]
Because there are many things I'd like to ask and discuss with people coming from the pro-ECA standpoint that I wasn't able to post on the ECA forums, given the disabling of new registrations. I'm glad ECA people are registering over here where everything can be discussed openly.

[quote name='x Famous x']In the Hal Haplin statement it does mention that the button did not function. That should be a good enough statement imo[/QUOTE]

Did he e-mail this statement out to everybody who canceled via the button? Was everybody informed of this without having to go to various sites to see his statement?

[quote name='trq']Yes. I'm an ECA mod. I clearly don't have any other CAG activity other than "Yay ECA!" threads. Sleeper agent and all that.
[/QUOTE]
Right, no wonder you keep pushing the mistaken Amazon code issue. Our problem is that the ECA has resorted to anti-consumer tactics (which is appalling for a consumer rights group); that's our issue, and that's why we seek organizational reform. Take that back to headquarters and let them know that please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back