ECA Membership - Currently Free - Amazon Code Status: Gone for good

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacknicklson

CAGiversary!
Feedback
197 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

Current Status:

This promotion is no longer available

logo_eca.gif
Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

Free memberships available - Use coupon code GIMAG to receive a full 1 year membership to the ECA

After you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.

Thanks to dallascowboys for the coupon code and Linkin Prime for the tidbit about your junk mail folder!

Complete list of discounts/benefits:
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - America's largest online retailer is exclusively offering ECA members 10% off all computer and video game purchases at Amazon.com (software and some accessories/peripherals).
  • Astro Gaming Promo Code - Astro Gaming creates premium video gaming equipment for pro gamers, leagues and their lifestyles.
  • BringIt.com Promo Code -BringIt.com allows gamers from across the world to compete in 1v1, team challenges, as well as NCAA bracket style tournaments and win REAL CASH and Prizes. Promo code will give you 25% of your deposit matched.
  • Buy.com - $5 off of your purchase of $75(one time use)
  • Dawdle - Reduced commissions on sold items, 10.99% down from 11.99%
  • Direct2Drive.com - Download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases. Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - ECA members will receive a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • GameHQ - 10% off of all pre-played games with free shipping.
  • Good Old Games - A leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • MAINGEAR - Manufacturer of high end PCs. 5% discount on phone orders.
  • Maxmodz.com - Receive 12% off of your order. Expires 12/31/2009.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - Get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
  • ThinkGeek.com Promo Code - Promo code will give you $5 off of orders between $25 and $50, and $10 off of orders of more than $50. Expires 12/31/2009.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• America's Video Game Expo 2009 - 10% discount
  • GameX - 3$ off of a day pass, $9 off of a 3-day pass.
  • Infinite Bits Convention - 10% discount. Convention is 10/23 through 10/25.
  • NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission. Coming soon!
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

Quick Picks FAQ

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on. Modifying these orders is at your own risk, don't bother asking about them because no one has a definite answer for you.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per order. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available. There have been recent reports of these codes not auto-applying after cancelling an order so do this AT YOUR OWN RISK. Also, if any part of your order has been fulfilled(i.e. shipped) the code will not be added back to your account after cancelling the remaining items in your order.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You cannot add anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.

13. How do I cancel my recurring subscription to the ECA to avoid future charges?

Visit the Entertainment Consumers Association
Sign in and click on your username
Select the View tab
Towards the bottom of the page, you will see a Recurring Fees table
Click cancel
Ignore the warning and click confirm

13. I can't find the codes, please help?!?!?!?!

Visit the Entertainment Consumers Association
Click on "Visit Members Area"
ECA.jpg

Credit to slickkill77 for assistance with this FAQ!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would try that but as a CAGer they are already on my case for asking about emailing them about promotional codes that won't go through so I'm not gonna risk it... guess i'll just wait it out, but ill be PISSED if the codes aren't working again before MW2, i already ordered a prestige edition that my friend wants to buy for more but I want to get a hardened edition for myself now.

As it turns out I did get the 10% applied correctly, but to only 2/3 of my order. They split the buy 2 get 1 order into two seperate order numbers. The part with two of the games got the 10%, and the other one got rejected. I'll try sending another email for that sub-order....

if the only problem was stacking they would at least put out new codes and then worry about it round the exp date...

COupon is vaild OCT 17 to NOV 29 (then wait till DEC 1 to issue new codes) that way there is no way the codes could stack.. But then again people have codes in their account that are working that was to expire SEPT 30 so amazon cant even get that right...

still say the problem will not be fixxed amazon will say not worth the hassle and go
no more codes
and eca will like its its all amazons fault

i just got off the phone with amazon's customer service, and the lady added new super mario brothers wii, boderlands ps3, and fallout GOTY guide to a preexisting preorder with the ECA discount. I asked her to do it to see if the 10% off applied to the whole order, if not, she would be able to cancel the added items without any problems that might affect the current preorder.
She did this without having to override anything, the system automatically did this. So I'm guessing we can add anything to preexisting preorders and still get the 10% off.

I did this b/c I was afraid ECA discount won't come back b/c of abuse, but I hope it does.

I'm wondering if someone knows the answer to this.

If I cancel an order with an existing 10% off already applied I know that it goes back into the account.

What I'm curious about is if the codes are still valid and if I could place a different order to take advantage of the 10% still. I'm hesitant because I've been reading that the codes are no longer valid or something like that.

L codes are not valid, 66 codes are not valid, J codes are valid. If you're code was one of the first two, you cancel that order and you won't have an eca code left.

Hmmm. I just ordered Wii Sports Resort and Dead Sapce last night and I got the ECA 10% applied automatically at checkout without having to enter any codes.

You had nothing automatically applied, you had a code in your cart still. You may even have more, I have atleast 1 and possibly 2 or 3.

[quote name='asthmatic']i just got off the phone with amazon's customer service, and the lady added new super mario brothers wii, boderlands ps3, and fallout GOTY guide to a preexisting preorder with the ECA discount. I asked her to do it to see if the 10% off applied to the whole order, if not, she would be able to cancel the added items without any problems that might affect the current preorder.
She did this without having to override anything, the system automatically did this. So I'm guessing we can add anything to preexisting preorders and still get the 10% off.

I did this b/c I was afraid ECA discount won't come back b/c of abuse, but I hope it does.[/QUOTE]

I just did the exact same thing. Added NSB to my COD:MW2 order over the phone and the ECA applied to both.

[quote name='axia55']I just did the exact same thing. Added NSB to my COD:MW2 order over the phone and the ECA applied to both.[/QUOTE]

This was a great idea! I did the same thing for COD MW2, but Amazon says the delivery estimate is 11/16 even with my Prime two day shipping. Not exactly sure why it'd take that long to get here with two day shipping, but it's not worth canceling it from the order and losing the 10% discount. Hopefully their estimate is inaccurate.

[quote name='kornball']This was a great idea! I did the same thing for COD MW2, but Amazon says the delivery estimate is 11/16 even with my Prime two day shipping. Not exactly sure why it'd take that long to get here with two day shipping, but it's not worth canceling it from the order and losing the 10% discount. Hopefully their estimate is inaccurate.[/QUOTE]

Uncharted 2/brutal legend/magna carta 2 had october 16th as an estimated delivery date, I got them 14th/14th/15th.

Borderlands had a 23rd estimated date, they just arrived a few hours outside of my town and I should have them mid-day tomorrow, which is my new scheduled delivery date.

The estimate isn't inaccurate, it's conservative :)

[quote name='Vortextk']You had nothing automatically applied, you had a code in your cart still. You may even have more, I have atleast 1 and possibly 2 or 3.[/QUOTE]

I've put in only 2 codes from ECA on Amazon. And I've bought 6 six games on separate occasions already. After the second time I used the code the credit would just appear at the checkout.

so we can add more games to our double-stack orders? cause i have a preorder for final fantasy 13 versus with the double-stack that ships in 2011.

Aw, ****. I was JUST about to order CoD:MW2 on Amazon, until I saw this. I haven't been with the ECA long (just got in on the free year), and I'm really disappointed CoD is being given the extra $10/$15 credit JUST as the ECA codes have an outage, ESPECIALLY with Prestige Edition being the way it is. I feel like I have to get in on it now if I want the PE (which I do, very much), and sacrifice the $15 discount I would have if I had the ECA code. So... For those who have been with the ECA for a while now, how long do these problems take to resolve? And do you think the PE will still be available on Amazon by the time the codes are fixed?

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']Aw, ****. I was JUST about to order CoD:MW2 on Amazon, until I saw this. I haven't been with the ECA long (just got in on the free year), and I'm really disappointed CoD is being given the extra $10/$15 credit JUST as the ECA codes have an outage, ESPECIALLY with Prestige Edition being the way it is. I feel like I have to get in on it now if I want the PE (which I do, very much), and sacrifice the $15 discount I would have if I had the ECA code. So... For those who have been with the ECA for a while now, how long do these problems take to resolve? And do you think the PE will still be available on Amazon by the time the codes are fixed?[/QUOTE]

The ECA has no control over when/if the codes come back. All they do is relay the codes they are given by Amazon.

Also, I personally don't foresee a Demon's Souls Deluxe Edition situation with the Prestige Edition. I think you can count on Activision to make plenty.

I'm confused, I only read teh first and last page of posts in this topic. I registered for the ECA thing 2 days ago and I don't see an option to type in the code to make it free or even put in a credit card number. Is this service free now for everyone or am I missing something?

[quote name='SyxxHallNash']I'm confused, I only read teh first and last page of posts in this topic. I registered for the ECA thing 2 days ago and I don't see an option to type in the code to make it free or even put in a credit card number. Is this service free now for everyone or am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

you sign up, and they send you a email for you to pay through, you enter the promo code their.
note: aim or aol wont get the email (or it didnt for me) i had to use gmail

Has anyone cancelled an item off of an order with multiple items remaining that has double stacked codes applied? Thanks to release dates being moved around, I have 4 games plus a few BR/DVDs coming out over the next 2 weeks, and that's just a little much for my budget. I don't want to cancel anything if it has a chance of removing the code from the rest of my order. In the past this has happened to me before (ordered during a promotion, altered after the promotion had ended). From the sounds of it here, that won't happen, but I don't really want to take the risk either. If anyone HAS cancelled anything in the last couple of days under these circumstances, please let me know. Thanks.

Quick question:

I have a preorder with ECA stacked codes and now have Amazon Prime, if I change my order to release day delivery would it mess up my order and cancel out the stacked codes?

^^I canceled an item from a large order about two weeks ago and kept all discounts.

^It shouldn't, I don't think.

[quote name='bobright']Quick question:

I have a preorder with ECA stacked codes and now have Amazon Prime, if I change my order to release day delivery would it mess up my order and cancel out the stacked codes?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you can change the shipping method at any time. It won't effect your order.

[quote name='beerme']^^I canceled an item from a large order about two weeks ago and kept all discounts.

^It shouldn't, I don't think.[/QUOTE]

I did too, but that was before the existing codes stopped working. I'm asking more about the last couple of days. The codes were working as recently as Saturday, for me at least.

I have received 4 Emails. the first was to confirm my Email address, I clicked the link. The second was to confirm my newsletter signup. The next 2 were the newsletter for Monday and Tuesday. I did not reveive any offer to purchase anything. When I log in to the account on the ECA site and click "visit members area" It says access denied, please login on the same page where it says that I'm already logged in.

Meh I contacted Amazon twice about getting the ECA discount applied and got rejected both times. I hope the codes come in before MW2 but looks like Amazon is in no hurry to get this up.

[quote name='Vinny']Yeah, you can change the shipping method at any time. It won't effect your order.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Vinny did you do this im talking about, upgrade a eca stacked order to Prime shipping?

Cheers

With playing the demo and reading more about Forza 3, I'd really like to order it. I thought the ECA codes would easily be back before that game's release. Now I'm thinking they won't be. :(

There was an update on the eca forums saying the conference call hasnt happened yet but should be soon. Just thought Id mention that. Hopefully Amazon can get something set up soon.

Also don't really think this thread should cater to stacking abusers trying to retain their discount but that's just me. Personally I'd like to see Amazon do a database query and a mass cancellation but their customer service is too good to do something that harsh. (even if it'd be fair) Sorry but your "benefit" by abusing the system basically ruined it for everyone. /rant

[quote name='mikeja72']Also don't really think this thread should cater to stacking abusers trying to retain their discount but that's just me. Personally I'd like to see Amazon do a database query and a mass cancellation but their customer service is too good to do something that harsh. (even if it'd be fair) Sorry but your "benefit" by abusing the system basically ruined it for everyone. /rant[/QUOTE]

I second that.

Both points: use of this thread and ruining it for everyone.

[quote name='mikeja72']There was an update on the eca forums saying the conference call hasnt happened yet but should be soon. Just thought Id mention that. Hopefully Amazon can get something set up soon.

Also don't really think this thread should cater to stacking abusers trying to retain their discount but that's just me. Personally I'd like to see Amazon do a database query and a mass cancellation but their customer service is too good to do something that harsh. (even if it'd be fair) Sorry but your "benefit" by abusing the system basically ruined it for everyone. /rant[/QUOTE]

The codes have expired in the past and there were weeks that went by without them being available. It sucked, but it wasn't the end of the world.

I ended up with a few double-stacked ECA codes because I canceled a couple pre-orders. There was no option to remove the ECA code that ended up back in my account. The codes shouldn't have stacked, but they did. What was I suppose to do? Stop buying from amazon for what would now have been months, until they got around to fixing it? Did I happily use those double-stacked ECA discounts when I discovered it? Of course. If you're going to blame anyone, blame Amazon for the goofy way they set up their system, now requiring fixing.

In fact, the most excessive of exploiters just made it, finally, clear to Amazon that they had to fix their broken system, and apparently they are finally work on giving us permanent (1 year) codes. So perhaps you should be thanking them!

[quote name='crunchewy']The codes have expired in the past and there were weeks that went by without them being available. It sucked, but it wasn't the end of the world.

I ended up with a few double-stacked ECA codes because I canceled a couple pre-orders. There was no option to remove the ECA code that ended up back in my account. The codes shouldn't have stacked, but they did. What was I suppose to do? Stop buying from amazon for what would now have been months, until they got around to fixing it? Did I happily use those double-stacked ECA discounts when I discovered it? Of course. If you're going to blame anyone, blame Amazon for the goofy way they set up their system, now requiring fixing.

In fact, the most excessive of exploiters just made it, finally, clear to Amazon that they had to fix their broken system, and apparently they are finally work on giving us permanent (1 year) codes. So perhaps you should be thanking them![/QUOTE]

Well, they weren't usually gone for this long though :p

In any case, I don't think anyone is really going to fault you for that. But there were people bragging about using the double stacked codes...

Now that I finally received my uncharted 2 code I wanted to add it to my Forza 3 order. Amazon has now told me through email and phone that I can't add the promo unless I redo the order. I fear this will make m lose the ECA discount. Is this correct?

[quote name='EvlD99']Now that I finally received my uncharted 2 code I wanted to add it to my Forza 3 order. Amazon has now told me through email and phone that I can't add the promo unless I redo the order. I fear this will make m lose the ECA discount. Is this correct?[/QUOTE]

Most likely. It seems like the only set of codes that still work are the 'J' codes. The other two sets have expired. If you don't know which code you used you may lose it if you cancel/re-order Forza 3. It may be worthwhile to try again with the credit. It is hit or miss with getting it applied to an order already in the system.

On another note - could we please stop all the bitching about stacking? There's nothing we can do by complaining at this point and arguing about it here just makes the mods go crazy (as we've already seen) and delete everything in the thread. I'm starting to sympathize with that policy since every time posts are deleted the posts that end up deleted just reappear posted by someone else...

Just sent a nice e-mail to amazon customer service and they will be refunding me 10 percent on Forza 3. I didn't even know you were able to double stack the old codes...greedy greedy.

[quote name='sabanoo']On another note - could we please stop all the bitching about stacking? There's nothing we can do by complaining at this point and arguing about it here just makes the mods go crazy (as we've already seen) and delete everything in the thread. I'm starting to sympathize with that policy since every time posts are deleted the posts that end up deleted just reappear posted by someone else...[/QUOTE]That's some pretty good advice. ;)

I have Super Mario Bros Wii in my quick picks. Can the ECA discount be retroactively added to my order once the new codes are up?

[quote name='shrike4242']That's some pretty good advice. ;)[/QUOTE]

It is some good advice to stop complaining. I'd just like that idea extended to include killing conversations about how to exploit the system of a pretty decent company.

Posting questions and comments about your double/triple stacking is just pointing out you're part of the problem as to why everyone else can't use a discount during the time when most games are coming out.

I'm just glad I pre-ordered what I really wanted through this year before people got greedy.
:)

[quote name='iguss']I have Super Mario Bros Wii in my quick picks. Can the ECA discount be retroactively added to my order once the new codes are up?[/QUOTE]

Well technically no since you can't add discounts to an order already placed as it says that clearly in your view order page. Though if you get a new valid code I'm sure CS woulld be happy to add it to your order.

[quote name='iguss']I have Super Mario Bros Wii in my quick picks. Can the ECA discount be retroactively added to my order once the new codes are up?[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. Though if you call Amazon customer support, they may see your order and if it hasn't shipped yet, cancel your order and place another with the equivalent discount(s) applied. If it has shipped though, I doubt it. I would place the order as between the quick picks and $10, it's a sweet deal.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Is it that hard to read the OP? Stop answering questions for people who can't read please. Waste of time for those waiting on real updates[/QUOTE]

Real Update: It's probably going to be a while and this is a message board, relax.

[quote name='mikeja72']I don't think so. Though if you call Amazon customer support, they may see your order and if it hasn't shipped yet, cancel your order and place another with the equivalent discount(s) applied. If it has shipped though, I doubt it. I would place the order as between the quick picks and $10, it's a sweet deal.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clarifying. What do you mean by "$10"?

i still think the eca does this on purpose. "10% of all computer and video game purchases at Amazon.com". BS - amazon gave the eca x number of coupons for y amount of time. eca members just keep using the x number of coupons too fast, and that's why they have to say 'sorry, its not working right now.'

I have a question

If I have an order with multiple preorders and end up deciding i dont want a game before it ships, can i still cancel that particular game from my order if a game that was released earlier in the same order already shipped? thanks

[quote name='dusbbal2008']I have a question

If I have an order with multiple preorders and end up deciding i dont want a game before it ships, can i still cancel that particular game from my order if a game that was released earlier in the same order already shipped? thanks[/QUOTE]

Yes, just go to view your order and it will lead you to a box that says change order and one you do that cancel particular items in it. You won't lose you ECA discount by doing this on the rest of your pre-order. Just make sure not to cancel your whole order as you might lose the ECA discount if it isn't a "J" code.

[quote name='3rdbass']Yes, just go to view your order and it will lead you to a box that says change order and one you do that cancel particular items in it. You won't lose you ECA discount by doing this on the rest of your pre-order. Just make sure not to cancel your whole order as you might lose the ECA discount if it isn't a "J" code.[/QUOTE]

I don't have any ECA codes at the moment. I just have forza motosport 3, metal gear solid rising, mag, and gran turismo 5 all in my gold box and I am going to add a couple other preorders to that. I am just unsure if I will end up wanting all the games. I am going to email amazon and see if they can apply the ECA code. They did it once for me before so we'll see.

thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back