ECA Membership - Currently Free - Amazon Code Status: Gone for good

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacknicklson

CAGiversary!
Feedback
197 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

Current Status:

This promotion is no longer available

logo_eca.gif
Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

Free memberships available - Use coupon code GIMAG to receive a full 1 year membership to the ECA

After you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.

Thanks to dallascowboys for the coupon code and Linkin Prime for the tidbit about your junk mail folder!

Complete list of discounts/benefits:
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - America's largest online retailer is exclusively offering ECA members 10% off all computer and video game purchases at Amazon.com (software and some accessories/peripherals).
  • Astro Gaming Promo Code - Astro Gaming creates premium video gaming equipment for pro gamers, leagues and their lifestyles.
  • BringIt.com Promo Code -BringIt.com allows gamers from across the world to compete in 1v1, team challenges, as well as NCAA bracket style tournaments and win REAL CASH and Prizes. Promo code will give you 25% of your deposit matched.
  • Buy.com - $5 off of your purchase of $75(one time use)
  • Dawdle - Reduced commissions on sold items, 10.99% down from 11.99%
  • Direct2Drive.com - Download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases. Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - ECA members will receive a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • GameHQ - 10% off of all pre-played games with free shipping.
  • Good Old Games - A leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • MAINGEAR - Manufacturer of high end PCs. 5% discount on phone orders.
  • Maxmodz.com - Receive 12% off of your order. Expires 12/31/2009.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - Get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
  • ThinkGeek.com Promo Code - Promo code will give you $5 off of orders between $25 and $50, and $10 off of orders of more than $50. Expires 12/31/2009.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• America's Video Game Expo 2009 - 10% discount
  • GameX - 3$ off of a day pass, $9 off of a 3-day pass.
  • Infinite Bits Convention - 10% discount. Convention is 10/23 through 10/25.
  • NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission. Coming soon!
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

Quick Picks FAQ

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on. Modifying these orders is at your own risk, don't bother asking about them because no one has a definite answer for you.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per order. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available. There have been recent reports of these codes not auto-applying after cancelling an order so do this AT YOUR OWN RISK. Also, if any part of your order has been fulfilled(i.e. shipped) the code will not be added back to your account after cancelling the remaining items in your order.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You cannot add anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.

13. How do I cancel my recurring subscription to the ECA to avoid future charges?

Visit the Entertainment Consumers Association
Sign in and click on your username
Select the View tab
Towards the bottom of the page, you will see a Recurring Fees table
Click cancel
Ignore the warning and click confirm

13. I can't find the codes, please help?!?!?!?!

Visit the Entertainment Consumers Association
Click on "Visit Members Area"
ECA.jpg

Credit to slickkill77 for assistance with this FAQ!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='wynams']To say that Amazon had no responsibility at all in the ability for ECA codes to stack is pretty fuck -ing dumb[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone is saying that. I work with sensitive software, sometimes we have bugs, and like all software sometimes they make it past QC. When there's a bug, it's our fault, we fix it. But if there was a security hole and someone exploits it, they're not blameless just because it was our mistake the bug was there. To suggest otherwise would be, as you so delicately put it, pretty fucking dumb.

[quote name='bvharris']It's not at all Amazon's fault. It's the fault of everyone who stacked the codes knowing full well it was wrong (many of them here). This is why we can't have nice things.[/QUOTE]
must have been a diff bvharris then :p

Haven't checked this in a while. Some really good arguments on both sides -- both the stackers and the anti-stackers. Kudos to those who shared their opinions in a thought-out way.

Of course, I'd rather have everyone talk about codes being back UP and what games they picked up, but ya can't have everything. ;)

[quote name='wynams']must have been a diff bvharris then :p[/QUOTE]

You're just the most clever! Quite obviously, I meant that the situation we're in now is not Amazon's fault. And it isn't. Yes, it was their oversight that created the bug, but that happens. If anything, they're guilty of shoddy programming, which might be dumb but isn't exactly unethical.

If I left my front door open this morning, that would have been either pretty lazy or pretty dumb, probably both. I'd probably feel pretty stupid for doing it. But the guy who came in and robbed me is still a thief.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Do the codes work or not. Someone PM me[/QUOTE]

Hahaha this is the funniest recent post in our philosophical discusion about code stacking.

[quote name='bvharris']If I left my front door open this morning, that would have been either pretty lazy or pretty dumb, probably both. I'd probably feel pretty stupid for doing it. But the guy who came in and robbed me is still a thief.[/QUOTE]
The only problem with that is that the thief has a choice to enter your home or not. If you canceled an order, your ECA was placed back into your cart. If you had already applied ECA codes to your account, you automatically had 2 in your cart after the cancellation. There was no way to void one or save it for later, they were just there.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Some of you guys are lucky you weren't here for the Target $10 Xbox 360 coupon, you would have had heart attacks by how this community acted.[/QUOTE]

Best Coupon Evar !!!!!

[quote name='Vader582']The only problem with that is that the thief has a choice to enter your home or not. If you canceled an order, your ECA was placed back into your cart. If you had already applied ECA codes to your account, you automatically had 2 in your cart after the cancellation. There was no way to void one or save it for later, they were just there.[/QUOTE]

That wasn't the entirety of what went down, which I'm sure you well know. If anyone's memory is hazy on it, go back a month or so and find all the gleeful celebratory posts about the number of triple ECA success stories. It was dumb luck at first, but let's not kid ourselves and act like everyone just found a dollar on the ground.

That's all from me for now - I'm gonna go try this whole "not surfing CAG on a Friday night" thing.. I'll let you guys know how it goes. :D

I've enjoyed this lively debate, I'm sure we'll have plenty of time to continue it before the codes return. If they ever do. :cool:

So will these amazon eca codes ever go live again cause I really want to use one on modern warfare 2 before the $20 bonus is taken down.

[quote name='tominater12']So will these amazon eca codes ever go live again cause I really want to use one on modern warfare 2 before the $20 bonus is taken down.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

[quote name='bvharris']That's all from me for now - I'm gonna go try this whole "not surfing CAG on a Friday night" thing.. I'll let you guys know how it goes. :D

I've enjoyed this lively debate, I'm sure we'll have plenty of time to continue it before the codes return. If they ever do. :cool:[/QUOTE]

it was quite an enjoyable and civil debate, good job sir. :applause:

[quote name='vsingh1']What was the Target $10 360 Coupon fiasco? Sounds juicy...[/QUOTE]
There was a scanned coupon giving $10 off 360 games and (if the cashier put it in manually) points cards. Made lots of clearance games ring up free.

It lasted a few weeks before Target got pissed. I ended up getting bitched out by a manager because I was going in there so often :lol:

Sweet, got my free eca membership! Now just gotta hope they get things worked out with amazon before MW2 comes out, otherwise Amazon's gonna lose my business to another place where I know I can get a discount.

glad i stacked and didn't pay for the membership if the ECa is gonna pull this shit. if its gonna be down anyway i don't feel bad at all. i'm just on the bandwagon in for the ride. i feel sorry for those that paid the eca and got nothing back.

[quote name='watcher0']At this rate, I'm betting they won't be back this year. (AKA, they don't want the codes during the holiday discount season.)[/QUOTE]

or black friday

[quote name='tominater12']So will these amazon eca codes ever go live again cause I really want to use one on modern warfare 2 before the $20 bonus is taken down.[/QUOTE]

You should just lock in your order now. You can always cancel it before it ships. That's what I'm doing. Atleast you lock in $20 bonus if ECA doesn't come out by then. If ECA codes and $20 bonus are available you can cancel and reorder then.

The coupon stackers vs non-stacker debate is not the biggest problem. ECA created this mess:

Providing free memberships that were on all internet deal sites. This was really offering a 10% amazon discount to everyone! How did they expect that to work?

Unprofessional communication on the ECA website. They speculated about when the issue would be resolved. It now appears they have no idea.

I paid for a membership to ECA but will not renew. I will continue to buy off Amazon when they have good deals. Amazon customer support & service has always been great for me. Amazon prime with no sales tax continues to make their deals some of the best available with or without ECA.

I hope they get this fixed, because I am a perfect example of someone who bought more games from amazon because of the codes. I skipped Borderlands and picked it up at Wal-Mart because they had no codes, and I did not want to wait two days to play it. 6 bucks off would have made me wait the 2 days.

[quote name='fatpug']The coupon stackers vs non-stacker debate is not the biggest problem. ECA created this mess:

Providing free memberships that were on all internet deal sites. This was really offering a 10% amazon discount to everyone! How did they expect that to work?

Unprofessional communication on the ECA website. They speculated about when the issue would be resolved. It now appears they have no idea.

I paid for a membership to ECA but will not renew. I will continue to buy off Amazon when they have good deals. Amazon customer support & service has always been great for me. Amazon prime with no sales tax continues to make their deals some of the best available with or without ECA.[/QUOTE]

Ya I agree. ECA wont be getting another penny from me when I can just wait till they give more free membership codes.

I was able to combine pre-orders to take advantage of the ECA discount, so everyone should be able to try that until codes are restored.

[quote name='y2jasper']don't worry, any order or pre order you make under the prime trial still keeps the same shipping even after the trial expires[/QUOTE]

Thanks I thought it would just lose my prime but wasn't sure. Cool but since FSSS is getting here fast it won't make much of a difference anyhow.

[quote name='i got id']I was able to combine pre-orders to take advantage of the ECA discount, so everyone should be able to try that until codes are restored.[/QUOTE]

Just tried to combine my Modern Warfare 2 and God of War Collection orders (coming out one week apart from each other) and it won't let me combine. :|

[quote name='jubeininja69']glad i stacked and didn't pay for the membership if the ECa is gonna pull this shit. if its gonna be down anyway i don't feel bad at all. i'm just on the bandwagon in for the ride. i feel sorry for those that paid the eca and got nothing back.[/QUOTE]
u did that anyway. even if they doubled code output & were the best organization ever, u STILL stacked & didn't pay for the membership, LOL. that's so great how u tried to retaliate retroactively to justify ur actions, like u knew they were gonna take the codes down.

Oh no! All you stackers are going to bankrupt amazon...Wait, they have record earnings and their stock price has reached a 52 week high? Oh, nevermind. ;)

really wish these would come back while I'm still on prime trial. living in washington sucks with how much shopping I do on steam and amazon and getting taxed on both. ECA discount removes tax and evens me up with the rest of the country =/.

The problem didn't lay with the single guy stacking to get himself a bunch of games if it did amazon would've cancelled all our preorders and orders that have already shipped. Im willing to bet it was more people getting massive orders of same units looking to resell for profit on ebay or craigslist. Funny thing is around the time UC2 and Brutal legend released I noticed a huge upswing in people selling on my local CL for $50 sealed copies multiple available types of deals could be coincidence but I think not with the way the free membership spread like wildfire over the internet.

[quote name='fatpug']The coupon stackers vs non-stacker debate is not the biggest problem. ECA created this mess:

I paid for a membership to ECA but will not renew. I will continue to buy off Amazon when they have good deals. Amazon customer support & service has always been great for me. Amazon prime with no sales tax continues to make their deals some of the best available with or without ECA.[/QUOTE]
I paid, too. The way I view things is this: Sometimes a better deal comes along. The ECA membership was good enough to get my money when it wasn't free.

The shirt I bought at Threadless that was $10 cheaper 2 days later was cool enough that I was happy to pay $20 for it. I choose to be happy I got a cool shirt, and ignore that someone else got it for half-off.

If you keep getting pissed anytime someone gets a better deal than you, you're going to dig life a whole lot less.

Did the ECA drop the ball a few times? Yes. Constantly posting "maybe tomorrow" ECA message board entries was a tease, even if their heart was in the right place.

I believe the ball is in Amazon's court now, but we can't be mad at Amazon either, because they're still the best place to buy games, and that b2g1 sale was better than the ECA discount anyway.

The fact that I was so desperate to save 10% that I visited the site 10x a day while I have a pile of unplayed games I already own shows that the codes aren't the only problem; there's a problem inside me.

Saw a 10% off of Amazon.com orders for a year for $20. Saw that everyone was jumping on it on here and ordered it up. Sounded like a pretty good deal.

ECA failed to deliver. I'm guessing if I failed to pay them that they wouldn't honor the 10% codes.

They promised a service that I clearly paid for. They didn't deliver that service. Seems pretty black and white... I don't get the whole debate.

[quote name='tanis']Saw a 10% off of Amazon.com orders for a year for $20. Saw that everyone was jumping on it on here and ordered it up. Sounded like a pretty good deal.

ECA failed to deliver. I'm guessing if I failed to pay them that they wouldn't honor the 10% codes.

They promised a service that I clearly paid for. They didn't deliver that service. Seems pretty black and white... I don't get the whole debate.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm thinking too.

I'm assuming they're covered in their terms and conditions however. I really need to start reading those things...

[quote name='tanis']Saw a 10% off of Amazon.com orders for a year for $20. Saw that everyone was jumping on it on here and ordered it up. Sounded like a pretty good deal.

They promised a service that I clearly paid for. They didn't deliver that service. Seems pretty black and white... I don't get the whole debate.[/QUOTE]
So you never read your agreement?

You joined the ECA, that was what you paid the money for

The discount was a perk that the site said could change at any time.

Seems pretty black and white

[quote name='Strider2K99']Just tried to combine my Modern Warfare 2 and God of War Collection orders (coming out one week apart from each other) and it won't let me combine. :|[/QUOTE]

I placed a new order then tried to combine it with an ECA coded pre-order and it did not let me.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']So you never read your agreement?

You joined the ECA, that was what you paid the money for

The discount was a perk that the site said could change at any time.

Seems pretty black and white[/QUOTE]

Yes - ECA has the right to change the benefits. It is still disappointing they broke a good program by giving away free memberships.

Amazon is already matching competitors offers for many deals. The Modern Warfare $20 promo match to Walmart's $20 gift card is an example. You can't expect Amazon to match offers and give an extra 10% to everyone.

Well I am close to just canceling my membership that I paid for a few months ago. I did get to use a few codes but thats besides the point. I read in their cancellation that they refund a prorated portion of the membership fee for the months that have already went by. I paid $15 (college email) so I should be able to get $10 back. When I get the chance I will give them a call and see if thats correct.

Anyone else cancel their membership and get a prorated amount back?

I thought the ECA thread about the Amazon codes stated that no refunds will be issued for canceled memberships. At first I felt that that was pretty crappy, since (as they should know) most people joined for the Amazon codes and without them most memberships are pretty much useless. They did, however, say that they were working on it.

The reason for this whole mishap could be a combination of a lot of things. There was the whole "free ECA membership" thing (which at first I was a little upset about since I had only just bought a membership not too long beforehand). This brought in a crazy influx of people getting 10% off all video games and accessories. Then (probably the main reason) there was the code stacking glitch. Poor communication between Amazon and ECA has landed everyone in this situation; had theeca gotten much more codes initially or worked out the multi-use codes in the beginning with Amazon, there wouldn't really be the stacking problem or the problem of people selling the codes (another minor setback). Right now, Amazon's pretty much trying to compete with other retailers, so chances are they're not in a rush to give us THAT much more. The only thing to do (unless theeca do decide to refund prorated portions) is to just sit back and wait. Rushing them is only going to peeve one party or the other. Also, to those that are complaining that this is what they paid for, I understand the anger and frustration since I also paid for my membership pretty much for the amazon codes. However, they did say that the benefit(s) were subject to change.

Can anyone confirm whether or not sending Amazon an e-mail to ask them to apply a 10% off discount for being an ECA Member to their order will work? I ask because I've read on various threads here at CAG that some people have had success doing just that. I figure the least I can do is ask, though it's ultimately up to Amazon whether they want to honor it or not?

I joined the ECA 4 days before it went free. I was never able to use a single code. They were down at the time.

Anyway, I emailed amazon about taking the 10% off my order. They said they couldn't do it and to email the ECA about it. I emailed amazon a second time hoping for a different result. I got the same thing back from a different rep. They said to contact the ECA and deal with them about the codes. So no discounts for me at all.

I have read that other people have had success in getting amazon to apply the 10%. But I am wondering if that is because they have made other purchases using the ECA codes.

[quote name='Mizz Behavin']I joined the ECA 4 days before it went free. I was never able to use a single code. They were down at the time.

Anyway, I emailed amazon about taking the 10% off my order. They said they couldn't do it and to email the ECA about it. I emailed amazon a second time hoping for a different result. I got the same thing back from a different rep. They said to contact the ECA and deal with them about the codes. So no discounts for me at all.

I have read that other people have had success in getting amazon to apply the 10%. But I am wondering if that is because they have made other purchases using the ECA codes.[/QUOTE]

You might be right about having to have used an ECA code before in order for them to honor the membership and give you 10% off (they of course would have to contact Amazon on your behalf in order for it to happen)?

In my case, I pre-ordered two games using an ECA code. Uncharted 2 shipped, and my code was applied. The other game I ordered was God of War Collection which doesn't come out until November. Recently I canceled that order in hope that my ECA code would regenerate so as to use it with a bigger order (B2G1 Free promotion- I ended up buying 6 games). However, I lost the 10% off, but was able to re-order the game using a $10 off game credit for buying The Beatles Rock Band for PS3 on the final day of that promotion (October 15th).

So as of now, I have a pending order for GOW Collection for $25.14 (Gold Box plus $10 off- originally I ordered it for $31.44 which was also a Gold Box offer plus my ECA 10% off code). In my case, I could argue that my 10% off ECA code was taken away from my GOW Collection order (which it was due to my canceling my original order), and would like it re-applied. If they do it, I'd get the game for $21.44 ($31.44 minus the $10 off promotion).

we got a lot of pissed off people in here.

let's create one paying ECA account for CAG and all CAGs share the codes off of it.

LOL jk

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']Can anyone confirm whether or not sending Amazon an e-mail to ask them to apply a 10% off discount for being an ECA Member to their order will work? I ask because I've read on various threads here at CAG that some people have had success doing just that. I figure the least I can do is ask, though it's ultimately up to Amazon whether they want to honor it or not?[/QUOTE]

It worked for me, however YMMV.

This is lame. I signed up way back in the day and I figured ECA hitting SD/FW was bad but I expected the codes to come back at some point...

Are we ever going to see that 10% off (in any way, shape, or form) again?

[quote name='bvharris']You're just the most clever! Quite obviously, I meant that the situation we're in now is not Amazon's fault. And it isn't. Yes, it was their oversight that created the bug, but that happens. If anything, they're guilty of shoddy programming, which might be dumb but isn't exactly unethical.

If I left my front door open this morning, that would have been either pretty lazy or pretty dumb, probably both. I'd probably feel pretty stupid for doing it. But the guy who came in and robbed me is still a thief.[/QUOTE]

Several times in this thread you have clouded the ethics/legal line and this analogy is typical of your persistence.

Regardless of your property being locked up or not, there are laws to protect it. Anyone violating these laws would be subject to you pressing charges. If convicted, yes they would be a thief.

While it was probably not Amazon's intent for % off promotions to stack, its far from illegal to anyone who may have done so.

I think it is futile to debate ethics, but I will debate the legality of ECA/Amazon with you all day long ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not mad at all. I signed up two months before the program went free and in that time paid for my membership at least three times over. ECA made great deals a hell of alot better. Even now I think I still have a saved code in my account from a canceled order.

I think the good has come to an end though. Not blaming the free riders at all, ECA should have just made the membership 3-months or limited them to one code a day (per ip) so the codes wouldn't have run dry so fast. I am sure the Amazon financial division is pissed about all of the intentional stacking that went on, when those orders ship they'll end up losing more money than they gained in most cases.

That's why I don't expect it to come back, if it does i'm only expecting 5% off. Well, it was good while it lasted.

I don't blame ECA at all. I blame the jackasses that were too stupid or selfish to believe that stacking the codes wasn't going to bring the system down. If someone burns down your Toys R Us you don't get mad at Toys R Us because they aren't selling you toys anymore.

ECA represented one of the best deals on new games (combined with the often free shipping and no tax at Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back