EGM June 2007 Reviews + Rumor Mill

A Happy Panda

CAGiversary!
Feedback
61 (100%)
Just got my digital version, I'll be updating the thread as I go, but it's a pretty crappy issue so you're not missing much.

The Rumor Mill

Team Ninja is "using their talented melons to whip up an exclusive Dead or Alive game for the PS3"

"Hudson is digging up its classic cavemanBonk for another shot at today's newfangled systems. Or at least the ones made by Nintendo - the bald-headed head banger looks like he'll show up on both the Wii and the DS"

"I hear Capcom is remaking the original Mega Man game (with new graphics to boot) for the PSN. Oh, and don't be surprised if you hear about this very soon"

"the next KH game won't be the third game in the series, but instead it will be a spin-off that will appear on a hearty console"

The Q-Tips

The Factor-5 developed game "Professor Layton" is coming to US shores

Nippon Ichi is preparing Disgaea to appear on the PS3

Harmonix is working on their own "band" music game

Reviews for the Month

:ps3: Playstation 3
F.E.A.R - 6.0, 5.0, 5.0

Joe gave it a 6.0 and mostly complained about the game's various technical issues. He said it's chock-full of choppy graphics, sound glitches, and bullet lag (the time it takes from you hitting the trigger and bullets hitting enemies).

Shoe gave it a 5.0 and it seems like he's actually never played F.E.A.R before because he said he says the game features some of the most generic level design, especially in the office/wherehouse levels, which make up the bulk of the game.

Mark gives it the second 5.0 and has the same complaints as Joe and Shoe, but also bashes on multiplayer. He says the environments are lame and the game types are dull.

:360: Xbox 360
Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars - EGM GOTM 7.0, 8.0, 7.0

Most if not all of the points docked for this game address the issue of the controls. They say the game's controls work great, but they still hamper the experience of a fast-paced RTS game, which C&C3 is.

Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia - 4.5, 4.0, 4.0

:ps2: Playstation 2
Dawn of Mana - 4.5, 5.0, 4.0
Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm - 4.0, 4.5, 6.0
.Hack//Gu. Vol. 2 Remininsce - 6.0, 4.0, 5.0

:ds: Nintendo DS
Etrian Odyssey - 8.0, 4.0, 6.0

A. Fitch who gave the game an 8.0 admits that the game requires A LOT of patience. But he did enjoy the patience and said he welcomed the change of pace in that the game required you to think before you do and really liked the sense of reward you got from going deeper and deeper into the game. He also said the mapmaker was lots of fun.

Michael who gave it the 4.0 said it required TOO much patience, and he said he felt no sense of accomplishment. He basically calls the game a waste of time.

Shane gave it a 6.0 and again addresses the issue of pace. However, he said those of you enjoy those old school D&D, Wizardry games should check it out, but his score reflects that the game is very niche.

Time Ace - EGM Shame of the Month 3.0, 4.0, 3.5

:psp: Playstation Portable
Brooktown High - 4.0, 5.5, 5.0
Coded Arms: Contagion - 7.0, 4.0, 5.0

[quote name='furyk']Big split on Etrian Odyssey. Curious to see what caused it now.[/quote]Guessing because it's hard as fuck. I just want to make maps, I'm getting it.

Are they a month behind on Rock Band, or what?

I dunno about a Disgaea game being made for the PS3 right now. I mean it's a niche game so you would think they would choose a console that more people owned.... But it is a rumor after all.

[quote name='mr ryles']Whats with all the ps3 FEAR hate?[/QUOTE]

I read that the graphics were really poor. I ended up skipping it because of this. I may still rent it to see for myself. I can't believe they could be that bad.

Too bad Mana and AI3 got trashed for the ps2. I was looking forward to those games. I'll still check out other reviews of course, but I just hate it when a game I was excited about gets 4's

[quote name='Snake2715']no one else excited by this!?

The Factor-5 developed game "Professor Layton" is coming to US shores[/quote]
I would be if it wasn't rumor.

[quote name='Snake2715']no one else excited by this!?

The Factor-5 developed game "Professor Layton" is coming to US shores[/quote]

I might be if I knew what it was.

[quote name='schuerm26']I might be if I knew what it was.[/QUOTE]

Here is an DS adventure game thread I posted a few months back with screenshots:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121071

And for the lazy:

Professor Layton and the Mysterious Village (From Dragons Quest producers Level 5)

http://www.level5.co.jp/products/layton/index.html

(Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6XjLPBvDV8)

http://www.adventuregamers.com/newsitem.php?id=1296

As reported by several websites yesterday, including IGN, Japanese developer Level-5 has unveiled its first adventure, whose title translates to Professor Layton and the Mysterious Village. Better known for its successful console RPGs like Dark Cloud and Dragon Quest VIII, Level-5 will be self-publishing the new DS game in Japan.

The game reportedly follows the exploits of Professor Layton and his assistant, a young boy named Ruke, as they discover a series of unique mysteries to solve upon their arrival in Mysterious Town.

**UPDATED 1/26/07 Scans:
55201020070123_202918_0_big.jpg

55201020070123_202919_1_big.jpg

[quote name='Puffa469']Too bad Mana and AI3 got trashed for the ps2. I was looking forward to those games. I'll still check out other reviews of course, but I just hate it when a game I was excited about gets 4's[/quote]

Indeed. Going to grab them anyways seeing as how I didn't hate the last two Iris games. The last mana on the DS wasn't really good either but I'll shoot at Dawn of Mana. Though I'm not surprised that they have recieved bad scores at all seeing how often this happens with those types of games, which I tend to enjoy.

Kindof curious what they wrote on Etrian Odyssey though.

[quote name='Puffa469']Too bad Mana and AI3 got trashed for the ps2. I was looking forward to those games. I'll still check out other reviews of course, but I just hate it when a game I was excited about gets 4's[/QUOTE]

Mana is getting trashed by everyone.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I dunno about a Disgaea game being made for the PS3 right now. I mean it's a niche game so you would think they would choose a console that more people owned.... But it is a rumor after all.[/QUOTE]

japan

Hmmmm, interesting to see the scores with C&C and it getting game of the month. Didn't something very similar happen last year with Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth? :p

[quote name='Apossum']japan[/quote] Well that goes without saying. But the Wii and PS2 are doing better over in Japan then the PS3 is(last time I checked anyway). So why not put the game on one of those? it's not as if the Disgaea will need PS3 hardware to be made.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I dunno about a Disgaea game being made for the PS3 right now. I mean it's a niche game so you would think they would choose a console that more people owned.... But it is a rumor after all.[/quote]

If no one made games for consoles with smaller userbases, there would be no games at the start of any consoles' life.

Ha, anyway, what I'm trying to say is, if you build it, they will come.

it's not as if the Disgaea will need PS3 hardware to be made.

Maybe they WANT to make it on a next-gen system to see what they can do?
Maybe.

I hear Disgaea 3 is going to be an FPS, so they need the power of the PS3.

[quote name='botticus']PS2?[/QUOTE]

It makes sense for Nippon Ichi to eventually move on to the PS3, as they've been predominately a Sony staple for the past few generations (though they didn't do that much on the PS1, they've thrown tons of support at the PS2 and PSP).

They probably have a good working relationship with Sony of Japan (and hell, even Sony of America) so it makes sense they'd stick with Sony again.

I'm going to update the OP later addressing some of your guys' questions about the reviews you're wondering about.

Updated. I put up some quick notes from the reviews about FEAR, C&C3 and Etrian Odyssey. Let me know if you guys are wondering about anything else.

[quote name='Roufuss']It makes sense for Nippon Ichi to eventually move on to the PS3, as they've been predominately a Sony staple for the past few generations (though they didn't do that much on the PS1, they've thrown tons of support at the PS2 and PSP).

They probably have a good working relationship with Sony of Japan (and hell, even Sony of America) so it makes sense they'd stick with Sony again.[/QUOTE]
NIS actually release a lot of games for PSone in Japan, though only Rhapsody got a US release. Not sure how their relationship with Sony has been since the whole Makai Wars thing

[quote name='dallow']
Ha, anyway, what I'm trying to say is, if you build it, they will come.

[/quote]

Not at a $600 price point and not a title like Disgaea. Though that could change if they get enough of that type of game on one system.

It seems like Atlus would make the natural transition to Wii. powerful enough for 2D bullshit T-RPGs and the other 20 atelier iris games they have up their sleeve, and cheaper to make games for. Besides, the "hardcore" people who actually buy disgaeas and such already own Wii.

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']Finally an agreement that Monster Madness Suburban Crazy Battling or whatever the shit it's called is a piece of dung[/QUOTE]

No kidding. They've been throwing way too much marketing at that turd.

[quote name='jer7583']It seems like Atlus would make the natural transition to Wii. powerful enough for 2D bullshit T-RPGs and the other 20 atelier iris games they have up their sleeve, and cheaper to make games for. Besides, the "hardcore" people who actually buy disgaeas and such already own Wii.[/QUOTE]

If only Atlus actually made Disgaea and Atelier Iris (hint: they don't).

Hell, Atelier Iris 3 was just made for the PS2.

NIS is like the abused wife of Sony that keeps coming back. We'll see if lower marketshare + higher dev costs on a niche title can translate into a profit.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']NIS is like the abused wife of Sony that keeps coming back. We'll see if lower marketshare + higher dev costs on a niche title can translate into a profit.[/QUOTE]

But they also have to worry about how third party software gets overshadowed on a Nintendo platform. I bet for the type of game they make dev costs would not be the same it is for Lair as an example. If all they are worried about is marketshare, then we will not see developers like this move from the PS2 for a long time.

Any 1st party bias (good games bias) gets overriden by superior marketshare. Thats where niche titles usually go, unless they are very well funded.

Apologies, I havent kept up with Atlus/nisa since nisa started publishing their own titles. Whichever one it is that makes all these cookie-cutter games is going to regret going with PS3, especially in japan.

Come to think of it, is there any logic to re-releasing Disgaea on the PSP, of all things, in japan?

Horrible PS3 sales or not, Sony and Playstation pretty much OWNED the rpg market for the past 2 generations, I dont see how this gen is going to be different. Nintendo pretty much ignored RPGS on cube and n64, sure they are making more effort this time around, but I dont think any RPG fans are getting a Wii instead of PS3 any time soon.

[quote name='omegaweapon7']Horrible PS3 sales or not, Sony and Playstation pretty much OWNED the rpg market for the past 2 generations, I dont see how this gen is going to be different. Nintendo pretty much ignored RPGS on cube and n64, sure they are making more effort this time around, but I dont think any RPG fans are getting a Wii instead of PS3 any time soon.[/quote]

That has been true in the past, but in all honesty has there ever been a price difference of $350 between consoles before (not sure so if someone knows please answer)? That makes a huge difference and I think will change the way things were last generation.

[quote name='botticus']Guessing because it's hard as fuck. I just want to make maps, I'm getting it.

Are they a month behind on Rock Band, or what?[/quote]
They write most of the mag's content at least a month or so before it's sent out to subscribers, which would explain the rumor being out of date by the time it reaches the readers.

Wow, I just played .hack GU and enjoyed it and now I'm playing AI 2 and liking that too. Maybe this means both of the new ones will have fast price drops (I bought the earlier ones in the $10 TRU sale, so I'm hoping for that price range again :) )

And Disgaea 3 on PS3 makes sense, I suspect us disgaea people are the ones who are definately going to end up with the PS3 when all the other rpgs start coming out. They would need to do something drastic to get it on the wii and it would probably kill everything that's great about the game.

The next gen sprites will probably be quite something (I hope)

bread's done
Back