EGM Rumors and Review Scores

EXStrike

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
From GAF

Rumors:

4 Guitar Hero sequels out in 2008 (Guitar Hero 4, Guitar Hero Aerosmith, and 2 others)
Microsoft canceled an XBLA release of Goldeneye 007 at the last minute
Sony teaming up with a major japanese publisher to remake old games for PSN
Unannounced Microsoft first party sequel in the works for Microsoft's next console
Persona 3: FES coming stateside, Next SMT title on PS3
Skateboarding game for Wii Balance Board in the works
Sin City game released in 2009

Reviews:

Burnout Paradise - 9, 9, 9
NFL Tour - 3, 4, 3.5
Harvey Birdman - 5.5, 7, 5
Samurai Warriors: Katana - 4.5, 3.5, 3
Unreal Tournament 3 - 8, 8.5, 8
Kingdom Under Fire: COD - 3, 4, 4
Culdcept Saga - 8, 7.5, 8
Nanostray 2 - 6.5, 6, 5
Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice - 5.5, 6, 6.5

Yay for FES, but

Unannounced Microsoft first party sequel in the works for Microsoft's next console

WTF?

That one isn't even believable. They're doing extremely well with 360 right now. The only explanation would be if RROD repairs are costing more than expected and they want to get onto the next hardware and avoid repairing 360s for all time, which would be terrible.

[quote name='jer7583']That one isn't even believable. They're doing extremely well with 360 right now. The only explanation would be if RROD repairs are costing more than expected and they want to get onto the next hardware and avoid repairing 360s for all time, which would be terrible.[/quote]What are you talking about? Just because it mentions the next gen doesn't mean that they are expecting the console to hit next year. Most of the time companies start to work on their next console as soon as they release the current one. The 360 is over 2 years old. MS is definitely working on the next console.

[quote name='beads']That first party sequel is going to be an Elder Scrolls MMO for the next xbox.[/quote]

Which would be believable, since work on that wouldn't finish until 2010 or 2011.. which would be right around the time of a new console.

Actually, I think a new console would be around 2010, or announced somewhere around then.. seems like there's a new console every 5 years, and 360 came out fall '05..

4 Guitar Hero sequels? UGH! It's turning into America's Dynasty Warriors.:roll:
Sad scores for KUF:COD though. I'll still probably pick it up. The demo seemed like it'd be good multiplayer fun.

[quote name='beads']That first party sequel is going to be an Elder Scrolls MMO for the next xbox.[/QUOTE]

wouldn't make any sense at all since as Bethseda isn't a first party developer

I thought they were going to review DMC4?

Oh well, that's the big thing I was waiting for.

And the Pursuit Force scores are good enough for me to get it. I think the first game got around that, and that game is awesome IMO.

[quote name='beads']That first party sequel is going to be an Elder Scrolls MMO for the next xbox.[/QUOTE]
I highly doubt bethesda would develop for Microsoft, and keep that a secret.

Provided it works, plays all 360 games, uses XBL and my gamertag and gamescore carry over I won't hesitate buying the "next" Xbox.

I can also live with 4 GH games since so many people have so many different tastes - I won't even play the demo of an Aerosmith version but others might be wetting their pants over the news...

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Persona 4 has already been announced for PS2.
Probably wrong about Fes as well.[/quote]

Jesus that Persona 4 for ps2 was wrong.
Persona 4 is for PS3.

They probably ment Fes.
Fes is already coming stateside we knew that.

Pay Attention.

Rock Band DLC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Guitar Hero Anything.

Activision Ruined that franchise.

[quote name='PyroGamer']If the Guitar Hero games are >$20 each, they can stick them up their asses.[/quote]

Yep, was about to say the same thing. Still can't believe they charged full price for GH 80's Edition.

And awsome news about Persona, even if they are rumors. The more SMT the better.

[quote name='whoknows']That's what I'm guessing. I'm also guessing that it won't be done by Bungie.[/QUOTE]

I think it'll be done by bungie as much as Super Mario Galaxy was done by Miyamoto. That is to say, the real brains overseeing other talented people.

That GoldenEye tidbit doesn't even really make a lot of sense. So, MS let it get far enough along, which obviously means online play and achievements built in, and then cans it? Especially with NO ONE hearing about it?

That all just seems unlikely.

My guess is that somehow MS had some sort of preliminary deal worked out before the game was worked on, and then right before work began something happened. Maybe Nintendo balked, or something to that effect.

Point is, there is no way MS worked on updating the game and getting it ready to release and then canned it. No way, not unless something major happened. Plus, again, I reiterate that SOMEONE would have leaked it. There are too many parties involved for it to not have gotten noticed. What fell through had to be a deal, not an actual game ready for release. That, and honestly, since Nintendo has a stake in it, I still can't see them allowing their biggest rival to release arguably the biggest Arcade/Virtual Console release EVER, even for the assumably shit-ton of money MS would offer, especially since it was originally on a Nintendo system.

My thoughts.

More likely they ran into an issue with activision at the last minute. The Bond license changed hands recently from EA to Activision (or ubisoft?) which probably accounts for the cancellation. Agreement is made, game is made, license changes hands, new party wants more money/more percentage of profit, deal falls through, game is canned.

[quote name='jer7583']That one isn't even believable. They're doing extremely well with 360 right now. The only explanation would be if RROD repairs are costing more than expected and they want to get onto the next hardware and avoid repairing 360s for all time, which would be terrible.[/QUOTE]
I think it's more likely that development is going to take so long, that they may as well make it a launch title for the next gen. Every system could certainly use more development time on their launch titles.

[quote name='jer7583']More likely they ran into an issue with activision at the last minute. The Bond license changed hands recently from EA to Activision (or ubisoft?) [/QUOTE]

It's Activision.

If such a release was going to happen (which I say it bullshit), there was probably too much red tape to even get the game off the ground. Getting Doak's blessing (since it uses his engine, not Rare's), along with working with Activision probably proved too much.

disappointed about the KOF game, I was kinda looking forward to that one. I was hoping to see a bit better scores for Harvey Birdman as they gave, but I'll probably get it anyway so I can get a lawyer fix before Apollo Justice comes out :)

With so many great FPS games on the Xbox 360, why would anyone want to play Goldeneye on it? I loved the game back in the day, as must as the next guy, but mainly because it was the FIRST console FPS I ever played, and at that time, it did a lot of amazing things. And I'm sure a lot of CAG's can probably say the same thing. However, there is NOTHING about the game that makes it special in 2008. The only "fun" I could see someone having with it right now is if they had an actual physical copy of it, and played it on an N64, and got some nostalgic novelty out of it.

Also, 3D graphics do NOT age well. You can say all you want about not caring about graphics, but when James Bond looks like 5 colored cardboard boxes stacked on top of each other, it does take away from the experience.

[quote name='prmononoke']Looks like I better sell at least one of my two sealed copies of Persona 3 right away.[/quote]

Depends on if it's gonna be an add on that can be bought seperatly or more of a "Director's Cut" Version of P3.... or both. Who know maybe it'll be a GH game at launch, kinda like DMC3: DC. Or better yet it could be untrue.

[quote name='terribledeli']It's Activision.

If such a release was going to happen (which I say it bullshit), there was probably too much red tape to even get the game off the ground. Getting Doak's blessing (since it uses his engine, not Rare's), along with working with Activision probably proved too much.[/quote]

Activision has had the licence for a while now, though, so that would only work if the rumor was actually about something old, which is possible.

I hate to say it, I honestly didn't realize that they'd need Doak to sign off on it, too. So that's what, now, FOUR different parties that need to reach an agreement? MS, Nintendo, Activision, AND Doak? Never. Gonna. Happen.

And VanillaGorilla... I understand where you're coming from, but remember that if they put it on Live, they'd certainly at least TRY and clean it up a bit. Hell, they may even implement two stick control. So, the aging issue is sort of unknown until the game would be 'revealed'. Point being, I guarantee you that if GoldenEye was released on Live with online play, it would be HUGE. Even if it didn't have legs, it would be big for at least a few months, if only for the nostalgia factor.

Anyway, if MS was honestly the party to pull the plug, someone else must have asked for OUTRAGEOUS demands.

[quote name='Thomas96']what do they mean by SMT title on PS3?[/QUOTE]

SMT = Shin Megami Tensei. Pretty much this could mean Persona 4, SMT IV, or a new SMT title.

Trust me, I love Goldeneye 64 as much as the next man and played more than my fair share of it back in the day, but have you tried going back and playing it now?

It didn't age well at all.

I'm glad they didn't bring it back so people can't buy it expecting wonders again and then ruining everyone's expectations.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Glad to see Dynasty Warriors finally getting the scores it deserves.[/QUOTE]
Meh. I'm easily the biggest Koei fan on this site, and even I have no desire for SW: Katana. The game looked like garbage from the beginning.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']SMT = Shin Megami Tensei. Pretty much this could mean Persona 4, SMT IV, or a new SMT title.[/QUOTE]
sigh
Persona 4 HAS ALREADY BEEN ANNOUNCED AS COMING OUT ON PS2. THIS IS CONFIRMED AND *NOT* A RUMOUR. THERE IS *NO* PS3 SMT GAME BEING RELEASED IN THE IMMEDIATE FUTURE.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Depends on if it's gonna be an add on that can be bought seperatly or more of a "Director's Cut" Version of P3.... or both. Who know maybe it'll be a GH game at launch, kinda like DMC3: DC. Or better yet it could be untrue.[/QUOTE]
In Japan there are two version of Persona 3 FES, one that doesnt require Persona 3, and one that requires you to own a copy of Persona 3 the first time you playing. Given the difficulty of finding Persona 3, I would assume that if Atlus decides to release FES at all, it would not require P3.

[quote name='kennistond']Trust me, I love Goldeneye 64 as much as the next man and played more than my fair share of it back in the day, but have you tried going back and playing it now?

It didn't age well at all.

I'm glad they didn't bring it back so people can't buy it expecting wonders again and then ruining everyone's expectations.[/quote]
Alright, so in every single thread that even remotely mentions the possiblity that GoldenEye will show up on Live or VC, this always gets brought up.

Everyone has differing definitions of 'aged', be it well or poorly. On a personal level, I don't feel that GoldenEye has aged badly at all. The graphics are reasonable at best and, since it's the 64, nothing will change that. The controls are just as I remember them... unlike a lot of people, I have no problem switching between the older 'one stick' games, and the new 'two stick' ones. I suppose my question for all of the people who say it didn't 'age' well is... how exactly do you want it to be? It came out 10 years ago, and it still plays like it did 10 years ago.

It's all a matter of perception, and that issue becomes extraordinarily relevant for that first generation of 3D consoles. Some people can get past it now, and others can't. Why is it that games that people were perfectly happy with a decade ago are considering nigh unplayable now? Are gamers so coddled by pretty graphics now that it's beneath us to have to put up with things like jaggies, heavy fog, blocky people, and vague black shadows that are supposedly indictating a face? It's a hallmark of that generation and, with few exceptions, certainly doesn't make the game 'unplayable' now.

I apologize for the rant, it's just something that's been bothering me. Other generations aren't subject to the same rules and complaints of that generation, and I fail to see why. If you're playing an older console, you have the need to be mindful of what the strengths and weaknesses of the console are, and learn to deal with them. If you can't, simply don't play it. My point is, I don't feel a game NEEDS to be thought of as having 'aged' well. It's not the game that changed, it's you... it's the industry... it's the consoles. The perceptions changed, but it has nothing to do with the game aging well. It's all the mindset of the player, period.

So, I suppose my general question is... if GoldenEye hasn't aged well, why? What games would you say have aged well? What's changed in the past 10 years that makes you unable to enjoy the game as much as you did back then?

[quote name='jer7583']That one isn't even believable. They're doing extremely well with 360 right now. The only explanation would be if RROD repairs are costing more than expected and they want to get onto the next hardware and avoid repairing 360s for all time, which would be terrible.[/QUOTE]

Or if it's being developed by Rare.

[quote name='62t']In Japan there are two version of Persona 3 FES, one that doesnt require Persona 3, and one that requires you to own a copy of Persona 3 the first time you playing. Given the difficulty of finding Persona 3, I would assume that if Atlus decides to release FES at all, it would not require P3.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm guessing the samething, but who knows.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']sigh
Persona 4 HAS ALREADY BEEN ANNOUNCED AS COMING OUT ON PS2. THIS IS CONFIRMED AND *NOT* A RUMOUR. THERE IS *NO* PS3 SMT GAME BEING RELEASED IN THE IMMEDIATE FUTURE.[/QUOTE]
Persona 4 has not been "announced," it was mentioned in a Japanese Bloomberg article about Atlus. An article that could be wrong, seeing as they didn't have any actual details on the game.

bread's done
Back