Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion GOTY (360) $20 shipped @ newegg

Have the PC and 360 version already. Wish they had the PS3 version, I'd buy it as a gift for someone.

[quote name='Vader582']I wonder if there's any chance this is a non-platinum version? Doubtful, I'd guess. Hrm...[/QUOTE]

I just ordered this from them last week at $27 and it was not a platinum copy. Regular green case

lol. This is a great deal. Especially after I was in Gamestop yesterday and saw it for $39.99 USED. What a joke. Im half tempted to get it. I have the original Collectors Edition and borrowed my buddy;s GOTY discs and just installed everything. But he doesnt have the game anymore and JUST IN CASE I'd lost all that disc content Id be screwed.

[quote name='Vader582']I wonder if there's any chance this is a non-platinum version? Doubtful, I'd guess. Hrm...[/QUOTE]

GOTY edition isn't platinum.

[quote name='junkie88']I just ordered this from them last week at $27 and it was not a platinum copy. Regular green case[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Flame Killa']GOTY edition isn't platinum.[/QUOTE]
Oo la la! Thanks for these bits of info! :bow:

Honestly, I've never played through Oblivion. I had it for a while and played it some but only for an hour or so. I'd like to play it but I consider spending a lot of time with a game to be about 20 hours, so seeing as how this game can swallow 60+, it's kind of intimidating to be honest. Especially with Skyrim coming out soon, is it even worth getting?

Here's a side note, I'm still playing through Dragon's Age Origins :p ... i'm slow at RPGs.

Assuming one has both consoles and doesn't have Oblivion, is the PS3 version or the 360 version the better one to get (PC excluded). Or is there much of a difference?

DAMMIT OP! Why must you tempt me with this deal?! I may have to play Oblivion all over again to get myself ready for Skyrim, and this is a DAMN good deal, thanks for the heads up!

[quote name='fortunado']Honestly, I've never played through Oblivion. I had it for a while and played it some but only for an hour or so. I'd like to play it but I consider spending a lot of time with a game to be about 20 hours, so seeing as how this game can swallow 60+, it's kind of intimidating to be honest. Especially with Skyrim coming out soon, is it even worth getting?

Here's a side note, I'm still playing through Dragon's Age Origins :p ... i'm slow at RPGs.[/QUOTE]

Depends, are you going to pick up Skyrim when it comes out? If so, then pass on this deal and get Skyrim since you're slow and still playing DA:O. If you're planning to wait for a GotY edition of Skyrim with all the inevitable DLCs, then get this deal because the timing will probably work out for you: you will likely finish Oblivion when Skyrim GotY arrives. Lol.

I personally am debating whether to get this deal because I've already played Oblivion, but not any of the DLCs...

does this game have the DLC like wizard tower, ect? Or is it just the big ones like shivering isles? I dont really care about the aditional quests but i really want wizard tower and aditional items/options that some of the DLC gave you. Im not sure if shivering isles and the other one added new outfits or stuff like that though. (i really wanted cloaks!)

@ the people asking about how good it is.. its.. meh. Its kinda fun but the big issue was the way they did skills/lvls. Its basically broken. You actually dont want to take the skills you use as majors because you'll level too fast and wont get the full +5 in each stat you want to raise. Add to that the fact that enemies level with you and the game is just basically borked

I intentially try to keep my characters low level. I really hope Skyrim uses a static/llvd mix for enemies like they did in Fallout

Kenshindono.........I am pretty certain it is just Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine. I bought the GOTY edition as my initial purchase (I got my first 360 late in the generation) and later bought the Wizard Tower-Thieves Den-Fighter Stronghold-Spell Tomes when they went on sale later.

[quote name='Llamaw00d']Kenshindono.........I am pretty certain it is just Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine. I bought the GOTY edition as my initial purchase (I got my first 360 late in the generation) and later bought the Wizard Tower-Thieves Den-Fighter Stronghold-Spell Tomes when they went on sale later.[/QUOTE]

hmm not so sure if its worth it then. I would get the ps3 version maybe, just to have one on both systems, but im pretty sure i remember hearind that version was inferior in both performance and graphics.. though i cant find the h2h of it anywhere

Great deal, if you're reading this and are on the fence then jump on it now!

I got this a year ago on ebay for $12 shipped. I couldn't believe my luck :D

It's still not bad at all though because you're getting the full game plus the 2 main expansions for $20. I just wish they would have all this other DLC on the disc.

I bought this a while back thinking it was a complete package (silly me).

This is what is NOT included on the ESIV:Oblivion GOTY

1)The Fighter's Stronghold
2)The Vile Lair
3)Mehrune's Razor
4)The Thieves Den
5)The Wizard's Tower
6)The Orrey
7)Horse Armor Pack (200 MPS)
8)Spell Tomes (80 MSP)

(Info here and here)

htown..............great post. If you haven't bought Oblivion yet this is a heck of a deal. I'm sure that there is plenty of info on the links you added, but IMO the Horse Armor pack is not worth purchasing. Also, if I remember correctly there aren't any additional achievements with the other smaller DLC packs. They just give you some additional areas/items.

[quote name='Kenshindono']hmm not so sure if its worth it then. I would get the ps3 version maybe, just to have one on both systems, but im pretty sure i remember hearind that version was inferior in both performance and graphics.. though i cant find the h2h of it anywhere[/QUOTE]

If I read that right, you're saying you heard that the PS3 version was inferior, correct?

After looking around some, every comparison I've found says that the PS3 version is the superior build, with better texture filtering, better frame rate, and shorter load times. The only difference is that the PS3 DLC content is limited to Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine (i.e. everything but a few minor add-ons)

I'd be curious to see a review that states that the PS3 is the inferior build, or comments from people that have played both versions. I'm thinking about finally picking up Oblivion as well, in preparation for Skyrim, but I'd like to make sure I pick up the best (console) version.

Maybe the going price has gone back up to $30 recently, but this was definitely available for $15-$20 pretty regularly a few months back.

i love games like oblivion, but i refuse to play it or finish it because i only play games at the hardest difficulty. and this game is ridiculous at the hardest.. and the character development system is confusing too.. you need to time your level ups and stuff... and some character attributes affect more than 2 skills.. andi just get confusing leveling up properly because there are too many things to consider..
unlike fallout 3.. now fallout 3 was fun. im sure oblivion is fun too.. but the fact that the hardest difficulty is almost impossible to play with.. well ill pass..

hopefully skyrim is not like that

You know, i was wondering. If you have Oblivion IV and then buy GOTY edition.. does it have a totally separate achievement chart? I.e. can you get another 1000 gamer score all over again with it? If so i may get it. If not i think i'll pass. This is actually funny because i started playing it again the other day. Ive been watching Slayers and felt like a sword and sorcery game =P (made a female mage named lina inverse) So i need to decide if im buying it asap before i play anymore heh

[quote name='JanusZeal2']If I read that right, you're saying you heard that the PS3 version was inferior, correct?

After looking around some, every comparison I've found says that the PS3 version is the superior build, with better texture filtering, better frame rate, and shorter load times. The only difference is that the PS3 DLC content is limited to Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine (i.e. everything but a few minor add-ons)

I'd be curious to see a review that states that the PS3 is the inferior build, or comments from people that have played both versions. I'm thinking about finally picking up Oblivion as well, in preparation for Skyrim, but I'd like to make sure I pick up the best (console) version.[/QUOTE]

Hmm i think i may have been mistaken. I was probably either thinking of fallout 3, or just the general rule of thumb. It seems 95% of the time the xbox version looks and runs better than the ps3 version for some reason.

I did a few searches and i cant really access head 2 head stuff like from IGN, but some of the post im seeing seems to indicate that people think the ps3 does have sharper textures, and better load times.. though i think it requires a large install. I dont know though, i cant find a real HD video example. Everything is crappy youtube quality

Still, the fact that you cant use any of the DLC on it is a fail for me on PS3 i think. Wizard tower is an absolute must IMO. Its something that should have been in the game, without it you cant make your own spells or self enchant stuff, its stupid. So for me if i get another version it will be the 360 version.

[quote name='giantqtipz']i love games like oblivion, but i refuse to play it or finish it because i only play games at the hardest difficulty. and this game is ridiculous at the hardest.. and the character development system is confusing too.. you need to time your level ups and stuff... and some character attributes affect more than 2 skills.. andi just get confusing leveling up properly because there are too many things to consider..
unlike fallout 3.. now fallout 3 was fun. im sure oblivion is fun too.. but the fact that the hardest difficulty is almost impossible to play with.. well ill pass..

hopefully skyrim is not like that[/QUOTE]

ya.. the leveling system was just retarded in Oblivion, thats why i didn't enjoy it much. YOu actually didn't wANT to level, and had to have your real major skills as minors or you would screw yourself. It was very counter-intuitive. Especially when you take into account that everything auto leveled with you.. fail

[quote name='bigsick']Thanks op. The only elder scrolls game I've played is morrowind so looking forward to this.[/QUOTE]

Morrowind was a much better game IMO =P This game was actually disappointing to me when i played it compared to Elder scrolls III.. no medium armor, you cant wear clothing under your armor. Way too many steps back

[quote name='Kenshindono']You know, i was wondering. If you have Oblivion IV and then buy GOTY edition.. does it have a totally separate achievement chart? I.e. can you get another 1000 gamer score all over again with it?[/QUOTE]

Lol. No you can't do that. It will just add the new achievements from the DLC content to your existing gamerscore for that game.

[quote name='JanusZeal2']If I read that right, you're saying you heard that the PS3 version was inferior, correct?

I'd be curious to see a review that states that the PS3 is the inferior build, or comments from people that have played both versions. I'm thinking about finally picking up Oblivion as well, in preparation for Skyrim, but I'd like to make sure I pick up the best (console) version.[/QUOTE]
I remember struggling with which version to get back in the day, and ultimately I chose the 360 version simply because, as a completionist, I couldn't stomach no trophies and incomplete DLC. However, the chievos really don't add anything to this game. A lot of the DLC really does add to the game, though, like Mehrune's Razor, Wizard's Tower, Fighter's Stronghold and Thieves Den.

[quote name='Kenshindono']

Still, the fact that you cant use any of the DLC on it is a fail for me on PS3 i think. Wizard tower is an absolute must IMO. Its something that should have been in the game, without it you cant make your own spells or self enchant stuff, its stupid. So for me if i get another version it will be the 360 version.

[/QUOTE]

Can't you just do the spellcrafting and enchantment at a Mages' Guild? Do you have to pay at a Guild to do it or something?

[quote name='JanusZeal2']Can't you just do the spellcrafting and enchantment at a Mages' Guild? Do you have to pay at a Guild to do it or something?[/QUOTE]

Ya, a few initial quests are required to unlock it, but once you reach a high enough rank in the mages' guild you can create spells and enchantments there.

Ok then. This is still a great deal, but I think I'll pass and go for the PS3 version instead. The extra DLC doesn't seem like too big a deal, and I'd rather have the better performance.

For $20 and free shipping, you can't go wrong. The PS3 version was released 2 years later and was slightly better is the grapical department. I would rather have the extra DLC rather than shalling out more money for it. Amazon no longer carries the 360 version which I belive is OOP, so the price will only go up. This is probably the cheapest price you'll find for the game.

[quote name='CaseX']Depends, are you going to pick up Skyrim when it comes out? If so, then pass on this deal and get Skyrim since you're slow and still playing DA:O. If you're planning to wait for a GotY edition of Skyrim with all the inevitable DLCs, then get this deal because the timing will probably work out for you: you will likely finish Oblivion when Skyrim GotY arrives. Lol.

I personally am debating whether to get this deal because I've already played Oblivion, but not any of the DLCs...[/QUOTE]

Hey I didn't say I was slow, just that I play through RPG's slowly ;). Thanks for the feedback.

This is the best game I have ever played. I can't recommend it highly enough. This is a steal @ $20.

I think im gonna bite. I barely played Oblivion or Morrowwind even tho I had Morrowwind for regular Xbox and pirated Oblivion awhile ago. Had a roommate tho that loved the hell out of Oblivion and I would watch him play as I played BF2142.

Ive been in a RPG mood lately. Was gonna grab a PSone classic, but might just grab this.

[quote name='Abeja']I think im gonna bite. I barely played Oblivion or Morrowwind even tho I had Morrowwind for regular Xbox and pirated Oblivion awhile ago. Had a roommate tho that loved the hell out of Oblivion and I would watch him play as I played BF2142.

Ive been in a RPG mood lately. Was gonna grab a PSone classic, but might just grab this.[/QUOTE]

Way to go, you're part of the reason we are getting fewer titles aimed at traditional gamers and we are getting deluded with motion controls and crappy mobile/Facebook games. At least you're going to buy a new copy. Also those traditional games get stuff held back to be sold seperately as DLC or online passes so devs can make some money from all the dirty pirates and honest folk have to pay more for what used to be free.

FYI don't admit to being a pirate on CAG, at least in the general forums/threads, as people like me will condemn you while you click ignore on our usernames. :roll:

bread's done
Back