Electric Guitar

dmpolska

CAGiversary!
Hey all, i'm looking to get myself a guitar. I never played one before but it has recently gotten my intetest. I'm looking to get an electric guitar but I have no idea which ones are good. Amazon.com has a sale goin' on now but I dont think they are good (although I have no idea.) I dont have TOO much money to spend but i can spend over 150, and yes I do know good good guitars can cost tons more but that's not what I can afford.

Thanks a lot guys :)

Well, I got an ok Yamaha in a gold color that was $100 due to the color. The blue and natural colors were like $499. I have since bought a more expensive guitar, but this was my experience at Guitar Center. Those guys can set you up....if you get a good guy.

My first guitar was a really cheap Yamaha I got at Service Merchandise (remember that one?). It was the floor model and kept getting marked down as people broke the strings. Anyway, the action is great on it and I still love to play it.

Are you guys totally positive that acoustic is the way to go?

I found this (I guess) good deal for an electric, but I dont know anything about the brand etc.
http://www.guitarvision.com/mf/mf_frameset.htm

But if you guys think acoustic is the way to go then hit me up with some acoustic deals... I just totally more prefer electric to acousitc though.

I wouldn't worry about the brand, but it's hard to judge a guitar without playing it. What's important is how it feels, but since you can't play yet, I guess that wouldn't help. The only thing about that guitar is hollow bodies are big, cumbersome, and bottom heavy, but the price is right.

Rondomusic.net

Great stuff - I've got a SX bass from there and it holds out better than a MIM Fender.

Worst comes to worst, you can get a new set of pickups and the guitar for what you'd normally pay....and go with the Agiles if you can - better than the Sx's by a bit.

I agree with big5 if you wanna start an electric is a lot easier to play imo. But then again if get an acoustic and get good at it you can easily play any guitar. Well good luck picking a guitar if you want i suggest you go to a guitar center orsam ash or something and just go and try some out and see what happens

electrics are easier to play than acoustics. some people think that playing only electrics is a crutch.

if you want to just learn how to play you can get a fender squire [ electric ] for about $100 i believe. but if you're serious about playing guitar and plan on sticking with it, go for something more expensive, it'll be cheaper in the long run.

and if you find that guitar is too hard for you, you can always try learning bass.

[quote name='sevdustflyer']I've heard its better to start with an acoustic[/QUOTE]

it's best to start with a real shitty acoustic, this way when you learn alot and you go to the electric or a better acoustic life will be so much easier, so take the first while with an acoustic. just my opinion though

[quote name='BIG5']I think it's better to start with an electric. Acoustic strings are thicker and harder to hold down.[/QUOTE]

I agree here. I have two acoustics which were donated to me and I can't manage on them. However, several friends have electrics I've played with and I find them much easier, due in part to the smaller neck width (makes it easier for me to pull bar chords and the like...).

[quote name='jennie25']it's best to start with a real shitty acoustic, this way when you learn alot and you go to the electric or a better acoustic life will be so much easier, so take the first while with an acoustic. just my opinion though[/QUOTE]

that's true, that's what i did. but now i realize how bad my acoustic is and now i can't get rid of it unless i gave it away for free.

Fenders are great beginners guitars, yamaha are absolute crap but they're fine if you just want to play around and learn a little, I started out with a yamaha EG 112. If you want to seriously jam you'll need a proper axe!

How difficult is it to learn to play by yourself? I've been interested in learning how to play for a while but I don't want to pay for lessons.

I have tried every entry level electric, ranging from the Squier Strat, to the Epiphone Special II, to BC Riches and all that other happy crap. I have yet to find a entry level guitar better than the Ibanez GRX40. Ibanez is a trusted company, having bought an Ibanez Talman myself. Here is the guitar:

Ibanez Beginners Pack

As far as acoustics are concerned, I own a Washburn D10S myself, which I am quite partial to due to its fat tone, and beautiful looks. Here it is:

Wasburn D10S

[quote name='DT778']How difficult is it to learn to play by yourself? I've been interested in learning how to play for a while but I don't want to pay for lessons.[/QUOTE]
bump for my question.

My guitar teacher said that acoustic strings are normally lighter so its better to start off with that.

[quote name='Skycaptain99']I have tried every entry level electric, ranging from the Squier Strat, to the Epiphone Special II, to BC Riches and all that other happy crap. I have yet to find a entry level guitar better than the Ibanez GRX40. Ibanez is a trusted company, having bought an Ibanez Talman myself. Here is the guitar:

Ibanez Beginners Pack

As far as acoustics are concerned, I own a Washburn D10S myself, which I am quite partial to due to its fat tone, and beautiful looks. Here it is:

Wasburn D10S[/QUOTE]

I love Washburn guitars! I picked up a used G10-V (awesome 80's guitar) on ebaY last year for ~$150. Has a whammy bar, but it never goes out of tune. I haven't played the low-end Ibanez, but the newer cheap Washburn electrics are pretty decent. I was thinking of picking up one of their $150 xb100 basses, just for kicks.

[quote name='cyrix`']My guitar teacher said that acoustic strings are normally lighter so its better to start off with that.[/QUOTE]
They arent, but as far as building finger strength, and callouses...Acoustics win

Let me preface by stating that I'm not at all a guitar pro and was mainly pushed into finally picking them up by Gitaroo Man. (Legendary Theme was the first song I learned.)

I started learning on my dad's Spanish classical guitar (amazingly the first thing he bought after joining the Navy). That was hard as F because the strings were hard and higher up from the fretboard. My friend's regular acoustic was much easier on the fingers. The strings were incredibly light and hovered just over the frets. I decided to pick up an electric, and the prices are generally over-the-top for beginners if you don't get a plain beginner's guitar.

I got a $100 Squier Bullet, which is basically a toned-down Fender Stratocaster (same company, same body, no whammy bar, definitely not same quality electronics). But you also have to figure in costs for picks, cables, guitar strap, an amp, guitar stand, gig bag, etc. So those all-in-one starter packs start to look like a better value, especially if they come with training videos. Definitely buy name-brand, though. When shopping around for my first, I heard nothing but bad things about those First Act (or something like that) guitars that they sell at Wal-Mart and such. They use cheaper materials that can not only break easier but also affect how your notes sound.

Keep in mind that just because you have an electric guitar, you won't be able to tear it up with crazy distortion effects like the guitar gods. That requires additional effects pedals or pricier amps. As for noise concerns, if you're just practicing, you can still hear the general sound of a song without needing an amp; it'll just be plain without effects and much quieter.

I would really suggest going to a guitar store, Sam Ash, Guitar Center, any music store, and playing a few guitars. I'm sure you won't know what your doing when you pick up a guitar, but hey, we've all been there. Find one in your price range that you feel comfortable playing. Of course you'll want to upgrade in about 6 months, but start with a beginners guitar. You might hate it and give it up.

Just my opinion, but what do I know, I play bass.

Go for a cheap and comfortable guitar.

I started with a really cheap acoustic guitar and it hurt a lot, the electrics are much easier to fret. I would start with electric, and if you enjoy it, pick up an acoustic later on. Get one of those starter kits or a small practice amp. Sometimes the store throws in a free cord or music stand. Buy some books or lessons and rock out.

Thank you guys for all of the opinons and comments.

I think I have decided to go with the one I posted earlier...

( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002GLMAY/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20/002-2215962-4845669 )

because I have read so many good reviews on that and it sounds incredible. Guitar Center has the same guitar on sale and they have like 50+ positive reviews on it.

Also, I don't know anything about amps. I would just want a decent one to be able to hear the beautiful notes I'll play (haha). Also, is the guitar strap neccessary? Thanks!!!!!

[quote name='CouRageouS']You can get a decent full sized acoustic for $60, not the best but good enough if you're just starting. Definitely learn with acoustic first, since with electric strings are harder and you'd need to buy an amp too. Whatever you buy just go for under $100. You don't want to spend that much money then end up losing interest. Check out this link.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/511192/?c_tid=topseller[/QUOTE]
off topic but what game is that superman spritethat you have as your sig from?
thanks!

As Far as amps go, get a very small recording amp. dont go for a lot of watts, a 5 watt amp can go a long way, and sound much better than a similarly priced 30 watt amp. I recomend anything by Marshall,VOX, or Epiphone

[quote name='RawisJericho']I have been interested in learning how to play the guitar for a few years now, and I have a ton of bestbuy bucks. I'm thinking about getting a guitar with them. Only thing is I don't know which one would be good to get, if any. Please check the link and let me know if you guys see any good guitars on their page.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?navLevel=4&type=category&navHistory=cat00000%2Bcat03000%2Bcat03107&id=cat03108[/QUOTE]

They're pretty much all craptacular, it says Fender and Gibson on the guitars, but they're just crap, crappy woods/pickups/craftsmanship and better guitars can be had cheap. The Agiles at rondomusic.com are great guitars and cheap too just because they're not a "household name". The Squier 51 is a great little guitar and with a decent amp can be great for beginners.

EDIT: This amp, small though, has wah, delay, reverb, and craploads of distortion cheap too. Zoom 15

And contrary to what some people are saying, an electric guitar is much easier to play than an acoustic, if it isn't, either the action is too high (distance from fretboard to strings) or the gauge is (thickness of strings, the higher it is=more tone but harder to bend and fret notes).

You were probably set on getting that Oscar-Schmidt before hearing any of our other suggestions anyway, but now I'll chime in:

Listen to the poster who recommended the Ibanez electrics and Washburn acoustics. Here's an example of an Ibanez in your price range; they're great rock/metal guitars for the money:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=electric/search/detail/base_pid/519417/

The previous poster who made this recommendation obviously knows what he's talking about because Washburn's D10 series of acoustics (his is the acoustic-electric) are considered some of the best guitars available under $500. You can find a Washburn D10 at most retailers for under $200, and if you check eBay you could find it for less than $150, which seems to be your budget. Here it is at musiciansfriend.com:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/515152/

I wouldn't say an acoustic is better to start with because most people familiar with guitars would agree that electric necks are thinner and the action's typically dropped lower than an acoustic. But the learning on an acoustic does make you a better player on an electric, believe me, and on top of that you don't have to shell out the cash for an amp.

(side note- Oscar Schmidt guitars are cheap Washburns, just like Squires are cheap Fenders... be forewarned)

And if you do go electric, get this amplifier...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/481958/

I own one and I love it.

Remember that you only sound as good as your equipment. If your equipment sounds like crap to start with, you're not going to want to keep learning.

Just my two cents.

I started with an electric about seven years ago and while it's okay, I prefer my acoustic. Both are cheap guitars (Lotus for electric, Aria for acoustic), but they're pretty good.

My acoustic is heavenly. Even my friends who have better ones agree that the sound is rich on it. I rarely play my electric anymore and I think it's probably best to learn on an acoustic because you don't need to bother with all the amp issues that come up. Plus I find it easier to remember notes etc. on the acoustic than the electric.

As far as the electric/acoustic deal, pick whichever you like better. Whether that's because of the sound, what you plan on using it for, etc.
I'd recommend an electric, but really, don't take my advice decide for yourself what's best for you. Guitars are one of those things where other people's opinions mean nothing. :)

[quote name='jaso']You were probably set on getting that Oscar-Schmidt before hearing any of our other suggestions anyway, but now I'll chime in:

Listen to the poster who recommended the Ibanez electrics and Washburn acoustics. Here's an example of an Ibanez in your price range; they're great rock/metal guitars for the money:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=electric/search/detail/base_pid/519417/

The previous poster who made this recommendation obviously knows what he's talking about because Washburn's D10 series of acoustics (his is the acoustic-electric) are considered some of the best guitars available under $500. You can find a Washburn D10 at most retailers for under $200, and if you check eBay you could find it for less than $150, which seems to be your budget. Here it is at musiciansfriend.com:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/515152/

I wouldn't say an acoustic is better to start with because most people familiar with guitars would agree that electric necks are thinner and the action's typically dropped lower than an acoustic. But the learning on an acoustic does make you a better player on an electric, believe me, and on top of that you don't have to shell out the cash for an amp.

(side note- Oscar Schmidt guitars are cheap Washburns, just like Squires are cheap Fenders... be forewarned)

And if you do go electric, get this amplifier...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/481958/

I own one and I love it.

Remember that you only sound as good as your equipment. If your equipment sounds like crap to start with, you're not going to want to keep learning.

Just my two cents.[/QUOTE]

Reading all the reviews it seems like the Ibanez gets out of tune very easily and it seems to be a hassel.

The squire seems like a brand that's "laughed at." Also the look is kind of lame.

I also wanted to know whats the difference between a semi-hollow and a regular electric guitar?

[quote name='dmpolska']Reading all the reviews it seems like the Ibanez gets out of tune very easily and it seems to be a hassel.

The squire seems like a brand that's "laughed at." Also the look is kind of lame.

I also wanted to know whats the difference between a semi-hollow and a regular electric guitar?[/QUOTE]

You're right about the being laughed at part as Squier=crappier, lower priced versions of Fender guitars, but they're good beater/beginner guitar. Semi-hollows are bigger, mostly used for punk and blues, as the tone is "warmer" (my pov). I second the Ibanez though, the reason why it goes out of tune is due to the whammy bar being used too much which stretches the strings out of tune. The Oscar Shmidt looks great and has excellent reviews too.

[quote name='crazytalkx']You're right about the being laughed at part as Squier=crappier, lower priced versions of Fender guitars, but they're good beater/beginner guitar. Semi-hollows are bigger, mostly used for punk and blues, as the tone is "warmer" (my pov). I second the Ibanez though, the reason why it goes out of tune is due to the whammy bar being used too much which stretches the strings out of tune. The Oscar Shmidt looks great and has excellent reviews too.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply! Yeah my choice is between the Ibanez and the Shmidt. I don't know, can the semi-hollow still be used to play rock, and is Schmidt a pretty good name brand? I'm just not sold on the Ibanez just yet.

[quote name='dmpolska']Thanks for the reply! Yeah my choice is between the Ibanez and the Shmidt. I don't know, can the semi-hollow still be used to play rock, and is Schmidt a pretty good name brand? I'm just not sold on the Ibanez just yet.[/QUOTE]

Oscar Shmidt is a pretty good brand, inexpensive but good quality for the price, but it can be used for rock, although an Ibanez has a slimmer neck=faster and leans more towards the metal side, tone wise.

[quote name='crazytalkx']Oscar Shmidt is a pretty good brand, inexpensive but good quality for the price, but it can be used for rock, although an Ibanez has a slimmer neck=faster and leans more towards the metal side, tone wise.[/QUOTE]

thank you again, now im leaning towards that $150 ibanez as earlier suggested. Ibanez is a pretty good brand too right? I rather want a guitar thats pretty rockin towards the metal side I think. I'm too over-critical.

As a beginner, you shouldn't focus so much on brand. A $150 guitar is basically a test to see if you enjoy learning the guitar. None of them will sound great. What's more, unless you are naturally gifted with a great ear or you have played other instruments, you'll have a hard time pinpointing the differences between that squire and a limited signature edition fender. Nobody ever keeps playing these sub-$200 guitars after they become proficient. And why would you? If you spend years practicing the guitar and become good, you'd invest in something that sounds better.

I always tell people that an electric is easier to start with, at least in the very beginning. I learned on an acoustic, and it was very difficult to keep motivated when the progress was slowed by hurt fingertips. Sure, you eventually form calluses, but it takes months in the beginning. Until it does, you won't be playing more than an hour a day even if you wanted to. Your fingers won't let you. Also, because it is more difficult to play the acoustic, you have a higher chance of becoming discouraged by your lack of progress. Sure you can learn to form an open string D chord on your first day, but you need to make barre chords before you have freedom of range and the finger strength you need to form barre chords on acoustic guitars is a very steep progression in difficulty. And that's just one example of the increased difficulty of an acoustic. That said, if you prefer the sound of an acoustic guitar you should go for an acoustic (though it sounds like you like the electric sound)

In the spirit of being a cheapass, I recommend you go for the cheapeast guitar you can find within reason. I often see the squire strat packs (guitar, amp, accessories all in one box) on sale at my local guitar center. Sometimes I even see them being sold for $100. If I had to learn the guitar all over again, that's what I'd buy to start.

bread's done
Back