Electronic Arts- 2012 winner of Consumerist's Worst Company in America

vlv723

CAGiversary!
Feedback
161 (100%)
http://consumerist.com/2012/04/wors...-final-death-match-bank-of-america-vs-ea.html

I can think a few reasons why they are up for the Worst Company in America

-Started Project 10 (also known as the online passes and other companies follow)
-Took the NFL License away and now making same old Madden games annually
-Buys up every company (Popcap most recent)
-Pulled new release PC games from Steam (starting w/ Crysis 2) and started their own DD company: Origin

And over abuse of DLC/Microtransactions. Here's a pure example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6-u8OIJTE

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone that thinks EA is even close to being as horrible a company as BofA just doesn't understand how horrible BofA has treated its customers, its business partners, its investors....pretty much everyone. The scale on which BofA has screwed over people simply can not be matched by EA.

Why don't gamers understand Business? This type of stuff exists because customers allow it to exist with their money. Business is like a little shop of horrors plant, the more you feed it the bigger and more disgusting it gets. This whole thing of hating game companies because of what they do is ridiculous. It's like Dr. Frankenstein suddenly becomes revolted at the monster hes created. If you want to blame anybody blame yourselves. John Riccitiello is like any other publisher CEO, their like children. They will try something out and test the waters, if there is a positive reinforcement upon the action, they will do it again.

[quote name='vlv723']
-Took the NFL License away and now making same old Madden games annually
[/QUOTE]

They didn't "take" anything, they bid the most money and won the rights for exclusive licensing. If you want to blame anybody for it, blame the NFL. They want total control over their image.

BoA is worse than EA and it's not even close.

i actually like EA's games. i can understand a lot of stuff they do is pretty much it just being a business and aiming to stay alive and thriving hehe

i will say tho i do hate orgin and if anything that's probably costing em business. Steam is just a much better platform and most pc gamers dont wnat to be managing to many of these types of steam style systems:)

I'm sorry, but EA never should have beaten Comcast in the last round. The only reason they did was because of a thread on reddit in which users were told to go vote for EA being the worst company.

EA is slowly eroding the used videogame market.

BofA helped crash the American economy and puts families out on the street.

Gee I wonder which one is more evil. This is a tough one...

This is funny but I too enjoy ea's games and have been playing them since the days of Commodore 64, its hard to imagine the video game landscape without ea, and truthfully I don't want to. Yeah they buy up a lot of competition and are basically publishers and not so much devs anymore, but I agree that this is just natural progression and a product of being in the industry for so long.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I'm sorry, but EA never should have beaten Comcast in the last round. The only reason they did was because of a thread on reddit in which users were told to go vote for EA being the worst company.[/QUOTE]

just dumb nerd indignation.

if EA beats BoA, something is truly wrong.

TBH none of the things listed in the OP sound that bad, I'm not an EA supporter particularly but if you're looking for a company who abuses DLC for example I'd say Capcom are worse.

Releasing a game with a shitty ending is sooooooooooooooooo much worse than foreclosing homes and fuckng up the economy.

I agree with the overall sentiment an add this, EA may be a crappy company but at least EA didn't have a hand in crashing the entire fucking economy...

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I agree with the overall sentiment an add this, EA may be a crappy company but at least EA didn't have a hand in crashing the entire fucking economy...[/QUOTE]
This 100%.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I agree with the overall sentiment an add this, EA may be a crappy company but at least EA didn't have a hand in crashing the entire fucking economy...[/QUOTE]

But...but...VERDIO GARMS!

[quote name='Dead of Knight']The ONLY reason they won is butthurt Mass Effect fanboys. It was just the perfect timing for the contest to be right after 3's release.[/QUOTE]

Yea, cause a fucking game's story is more important than the well-beings of billions of people. No wonder no one likes us.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']The ONLY reason they won is butthurt Mass Effect fanboys. It was just the perfect timing for the contest to be right after 3's release.[/QUOTE]

I hadn't thought about that but I'm betting you're right. Ugh, the things this says about how narrow minded 15 year old video gamers are. God i hope I wasn't that deluded when I was that age...

Not that hard to predict really. I mean it's not like many of the other companies have a raging internet savvy userbase to contend with like EA does.

I believe Bank of America is the only company that's won the Worst Company in America award more than once. 3/7, if we're including the most recent results. Coming in 2nd one (more) year shouldn't really rile you folks up this badly, should it? It's not as if seeing BofA win this thing again would force them to change their policies.

Hell, they've never even acknowledged the polling. BofA is truly the worst company in America. But like Fell Open Ian said, this contest has always been more of what company do users that spend most of their day online hate the most.

Frankly, the comments on the consumerist claiming reddit rigged the polls is just make me laugh. Voting and telling others to vote is now considered rigging. It's just bloody brilliant. But after this and the whole harassment of EA's employees, reddit is getting on my nerves.

Enjoyed some of the responses on Twitter. Justin McCoy from Vox Games tweeted, "Maybe the Consumerist should have pointed out that by extension, Bank of America forecloses on a lot of moms’ basements." I can understand this making gamers look bad, but why do people in the gaming industry have to insult gamers even further? If anything, they're just making the image even worse.

It's just odd to watch the same exact individuals and organizations which so often deem online polls and petitions to be laughable affairs somehow classify this poll as a slight against humanity because the worldwide e-crowd decided to not pick an American-centric company to levy their hate at.

[quote name='Jodou']Haha, EA wins. If anything, consumerist just lost any credibility they might have sustained.[/QUOTE]
Consumerist had credibility to begin with? I only know the site from articles written about how customers at BB were sooooo annoyed with having to wait two nanoseconds to be waited on in their stores and how they demanded compensation for wasting a half second of their time before being helped.

Honestly, the Consumerist site is fully of whiney crybaby entitled customers who should just STFU and GTFO.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Honestly, the Consumerist site is fully of whiney crybaby entitled customers who should just STFU and GTFO.[/QUOTE]
It's all bullshit really and at the end of the day they have no impact on the world.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']It's just odd to watch the same exact individuals and organizations which so often deem online polls and petitions to be laughable affairs somehow classify this poll as a slight against humanity because the worldwide e-crowd decided to not pick an American-centric company to levy their hate at.[/QUOTE]

QFT.

Yes, BofA is horrendous, but why is anyone taking this poll and its results seriously?

[quote name='demonology89']QFT.

Yes, BofA is horrendous, but why is anyone taking this poll and its results seriously?[/QUOTE]

Because Consumerist tries to label themselves as serious.

Good for EA on this one. Time to support them with more game purchases. Although I buy most of their games anyway.

bread's done
Back