Electroplankton coming to a TRU near you?

SpottedNigel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
usf347mailyahoocom0yo.jpg

New to me, but everyone probably already knew this

I was under the impression it was online only, but maybe it sold so well they're going to bring it B&M. Or maybe only for TRUs? My friend at Gamestop said it's not in their system as new, but who knows.

If you have a Rhino around, they have copies. I was at 7 Rhino stores this past weekend and all had copies for $29.99.

[quote name='Matt Young']I saw it at Wal-Mart yesterday.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit. Wal-Mart? The average Wal-Mart customer only plays games with lots of boobies and pickup trucks crashing. I wonder how this will go over.

And yes I do shop at Wal-Mart

I would lament paying $40 for it, but I guess if a lot of us didn't pay $35-$40 for it, it wouldn't now be getting released elsewhere.

[quote name='wageslave']Holy shit. Wal-Mart? The average Wal-Mart customer only plays games with lots of boobies and pickup trucks crashing. I wonder how this will go over.

And yes I do shop at Wal-Mart[/QUOTE]

Haha... I was surprised as well. I would have bought it had it been cheaper, but as cool as the game seems to be, it doesn't seem like it'd be worth full price, especially without a save feature.

In case anyone is in the area and wants it, I saw it at the Riverside, California, Wal-Mart. There wasn't even a display for it. It was in one of those piles of games on the bottom of the glass case where the DS/GBA games were stored. They had 3 or 4 copies.

[quote name='mtxbass1']If you have a Rhino around, they have copies.[/quote]
This made me laugh.:lol:

Anyways, I fully back the wider distribution of electroplankton. More people should get a chance to play games like this. Anyone know exactly when TRU will get this in stores?

[quote name='MJS']This made me laugh.:lol:

Anyways, I fully back the wider distribution of electroplankton. More people should get a chance to play games like this. Anyone know exactly when TRU will get this in stores?[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Electroplankton and games of it's ilk are the art films of the video game industry. Quirky, poorly distributed, and often more rewarding their big budget, widely released counterparts.

[quote name='Tybee']Agreed. Electroplankton and games of it's ilk are the art films of the video game industry. Quirky, poorly distributed, and often more rewarding their big budget, widely released counterparts.[/QUOTE]
Yup. Electroplankton is the very reason I got a DS. Thus, I still pay tribute to it in my avatar and sig because my DS, even excluding EP, has brought me the most fun of any console in recent memory.

[quote name='MJS']This made me laugh.:lol:

Anyways, I fully back the wider distribution of electroplankton. More people should get a chance to play games like this. Anyone know exactly when TRU will get this in stores?[/QUOTE]

Except that people won't buy it at retail, espically for $35, so it will bomb and Nintendo will never do anything like this again.

I just honestly don't see this game doing well at a place like Best Buy or TRU... half the reason I think it sold off the website is because thought it would be "omg rare" since you could only get it online.

It was fun for $20, but imo, it really has no long term satisfaction. I still pick it up every now and again.

I would pick it up more if it wasn't for AC:WW needing my attention whenever I boot up my DS.

Damn that game gets stuck in my DS like glue.

But for 20 Electroplankton was worth it...just too unique a title to pass up (and the packaging is awesome IMO)

[quote name='mtxbass1']If you have a Rhino around, they have copies. I was at 7 Rhino stores this past weekend and all had copies for $29.99.[/QUOTE]
I picked mine up at Rhino, too. But holy hell, where are you that you can hit 7 Rhino's?!

[quote name='botticus']I would lament paying $40 for it, but I guess if a lot of us didn't pay $35-$40 for it, it wouldn't now be getting released elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

I paid $50 for mine, but mine is imported... and the box is shiny! :lol:

[quote name='Roufuss']Except that people won't buy it at retail, espically for $35, so it will bomb and Nintendo will never do anything like this again.

I just honestly don't see this game doing well at a place like Best Buy or TRU... half the reason I think it sold off the website is because thought it would be "omg rare" since you could only get it online.

It was fun for $20, but imo, it really has no long term satisfaction. I still pick it up every now and again.[/quote]
Well it's not like there is that much to lose, right? If it turns out to be an embarrassing bomb, then it's just back to the norm of importing/obscure internet purchases. If somehow it does sell marginally well, it only encourages Nintendo to bring over more niche releases. It's not like they expect Electroplankton to be the next GTA...it's just another fan service to the diehards and an option for casual gamers to try something new on a whim.

I think Phoenix Wright appealed to that "omg rare" group, since many of its limited copies were snatched up for eBay gougings. Regardless of why it was purchased, PW had an in-store release and its relative success makes me think there is a viable future for the niche title in mainstream stores. This Electroplankton release is only another step in the right direction.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I paid $50 for mine, but mine is imported... and the box is shiny! :lol:[/QUOTE]
Only the REAL Electroplankton comes in the shiny box. ;) Although I might be seriously tempted to pick up the US release if it's on sale at some point in a local retail store.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']New to me, but everyone probably already knew this[/QUOTE]

I waited about a month after I found out that TRU was going to get it in. I finally gave up and ordered it through Nintendo. Worth every cent. :D

I work R-zone at a TRU. Those Electroplankton cases were sent to all TRU stores by mistake by the company that sends us all of our clamshells. They didn't know it was going to be an online release. Our Nintendo rep just told us to toss the cases. Most stores that don't know this, well have them out like that.

[quote name='daroga']Only the REAL Electroplankton comes in the shiny box. ;) Although I might be seriously tempted to pick up the US release if it's on sale at some point in a local retail store.[/QUOTE]

don't forget the blue earphones! I only used them once but admire the color :)

[quote name='asianxcore']I work R-zone at a TRU. Those Electroplankton cases were sent to all TRU stores by mistake by the company that sends us all of our clamshells. They didn't know it was going to be an online release. Our Nintendo rep just told us to toss the cases. Most stores that don't know this, well have them out like that.[/quote]
d'oh

Drawing a blank on the game, but I'm pretty sure a couple years ago TRU had a GC game (I think) that no one else in the states had at a retail store so it wouldn't have been unprecedented.

[quote name='wageslave']Holy shit. Wal-Mart? The average Wal-Mart customer only plays games with lots of boobies and pickup trucks crashing. I wonder how this will go over.[/quote]

You also forgot games with hunting, or hunting animals with boobies while crashing trucks with boobies on 'em.

I ordered this online from Nintendo the day it was available for ordering, and don't regret it at all. True, it isn't the most extensive tihng I could've had for my $35, but it's still really fun and nice to pick up now and again. It;s a game that I'm just glad to be able to say I own.

I wish it'd get a wider release if only so more people would be able to try it, because it really is a blast, I think. But maybe that's because I didn't go in expecting a full game and getting a mere toy. I expected what I got, so it pleased me.

bread's done
Back