Elite Beat Agents = thumbs up

Zing

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
In keeping with my new tradition of finally getting around to older games then posting about my experience, I just started Elite Beat Agents yesterday and managed to get to, what I think is, the final stage. I was extremely close to completing it, but accidentally clicked NO on the continue screen, which means I had to start back from the first half of the second stage, which really threw off my groove.

What an amazing game. I read some hate here in other threads and I have no idea where it is coming from. The songs are catchy, the difficulty progression is smooth and the controls seem fine. The little stories are great! Sometimes I want to fail certain sections just to see the fail version of the animation.

I don't know about anyone else, but the christmas one made me get tears in my eyes. I didn't expect such a heartfelt story mixed in with the hilarity of the others.

I heartily recommend this game to anyone who hasn't tried it yet. I snagged it from TRU for $16 a few months ago, so if it is still in stock local to you, it is probably clearance priced. Get it while you still can!

I hated it personally.

Just wasn't my cup of tea. Rhythm games are only fun with an instrument controller IMO. Didn't like the style of the game either.

But I can see why people dig it.

[quote name='dmaul1114'] Rhythm games are only fun with an instrument controller IMO. [/quote]

I feel the complete opposite, I dislike Guitar Hero/Rock Band while I love games like this and DDR.

I wish they would announce an EBA2 or Ouendan 3 already.

I like EBA

the sound selection is a little weak, but alot of the scenarios match the songs selected

you should check out the japanese versions: Ouendan 1 and 2

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I feel the complete opposite, I dislike Guitar Hero/Rock Band while I love games like this and DDR. [/quote]

Erm...wasn't DDR the very first music game to utilize a peripheral? (in the arcade)

If you play DDR at home with a controller, keep in mind that you can play Guiter Hero with a controller as well (try it, you might like it).

As for me, I'll always enjoy Amplitude and Frequency more than any game with a peripheral.

[quote name='Kerig']Erm...wasn't DDR the very first music game to utilize a peripheral? (in the arcade)

If you play DDR at home with a controller, keep in mind that you can play Guiter Hero with a controller as well (try it, you might like it).

As for me, I'll always enjoy Amplitude and Frequency more than any game with a peripheral.[/quote]
The subject in question was instrument controllers, which Rock Band and Guitar Hero have, but DDR and Ouendan do not.

Yeah I bought it after all the rave reviews from the fans but really it wasn't that great with a hit and miss song selection and even worse covers of those songs.

Love the gameplay, but the songs are atrocious, which is why I prefer the Ouendan games. Still great, though.

I didn't go in thinking the game would have original recordings or even songs I would be familiar with. Other than the standard scratchy quality digital music that the DS is infamous for, I find the songs perfectly fine.

I finished the game yesterday and got about halfway through the songlist on hard difficulty while i was at it. It's clearly one of the top games for the system.

I think the music in EBA is fine too, and I have to give the edge to EBA over Ouendan 1 & 2 simply because it is in English. However, the gameplay in Ouendan 2 is the best of the 3. In any case they are all fantastic games, though if you play Ouendan 1 last, as I did, you will probably be a bit disappointed in it. I was. It's still good, but there are real flaws in the design of the game, like not being able to see what the difficulty of a given song is, nor what order the songs were played in originally. I suppose there might be a FAQ out there that shows the order of the songs. I should probably look that up some day....

I'm looking forward to an Ouendan 3, and trying not to hold out too much hope for an EBA2, as that seems extremely unlikely given that EBA was pretty much a flop.

I got this for $10 new on clearance at Tru last week, got around to playing it today. It's ok. I suck at rhythm games like this so I can't have too much fun with it. The song selection is indeed hit or miss, it's like the songs are either great or shit.

I've played EBA to death, and hope I will see another sequel.

I need to pick up copies of Ouendan 1 & 2 as well, just haven't gotten around to it.

[quote name='crunchewy']I think the music in EBA is fine too, and I have to give the edge to EBA over Ouendan 1 & 2 simply because it is in English. However, the gameplay in Ouendan 2 is the best of the 3. In any case they are all fantastic games, though if you play Ouendan 1 last, as I did, you will probably be a bit disappointed in it. I was. It's still good, but there are real flaws in the design of the game, like not being able to see what the difficulty of a given song is, nor what order the songs were played in originally. I suppose there might be a FAQ out there that shows the order of the songs. I should probably look that up some day....

I'm looking forward to an Ouendan 3, and trying not to hold out too much hope for an EBA2, as that seems extremely unlikely given that EBA was pretty much a flop.[/quote]I thought Ouendan 1 had great, memorable music and the most entertaining storyboards. It does lack the newer mechanics though. What do you mean not knowing what order the songs were played in originally? Do you mean the "intended" sequence of stories/songs? They're displayed in order in the high scores list.

The only song in EBA that I even remotely do not like is the one on the "magician" stage. I don't remember the name of the song. It bores me to death. The rest of the songs are ok/good/great.

I am up to the final stage on hard difficulty. I keep failing in the last section right after all the spins.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I hated it personally.

Just wasn't my cup of tea. Rhythm games are only fun with an instrument controller IMO. Didn't like the style of the game either.

But I can see why people dig it.[/quote]

Only fun with an instrument controller?! That's like saying racing games are only fun with the wheel, but if that's how you really feel I guess I can't argue. Besides the game kind of makes you feel like the screen is a drum at times.

As for me I like the mechanics of the game, screen tapping to the beat is fun and challenging. However, the music choice is often questionable, and the very few songs I do happen to like sound extremely watered down when compared to their originals. The half animated scenes feel a bit too cheesy most of the time, just too wacky for their own good you could say.

Good game, but I can see the concept going a lot farther.

Rhythm Tengoku is the much better series in my very humble opinion. Lots of variety, while remaining simple and charming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big fan of eba myself, never finished it on the normal mode though (2nd last stage like the op was).

Never played any of the Ouendans so I can't comment on those. Looked up a vid on youtube of rhythm tengoku and I don't get what goes on in that game.

Just for fun I went through "breezin'" difficulty, getting perfects on almost everything. I need about 1 million points to rank up. I am currently "4 star commander". I am hoping the next rank up unlocks the third hidden song. I am still stuck on the final song in "sweatin'" difficulty. The bar goes down so fast even when I am hitting every note and making zero mistakes through the whole song. I get to the part after the spins, make two mistakes and fail.

Of course, immediately after that last post, I tried the final song and made it through relatively easily. I did mess up quite a bit after the spins, but managed to barely finish. Since I "failed" the third section, I decided to give it another try and almost made it through perfectly. I missed one single note near the end for no reason at all. Annoying! Anyway, the song seems so easy now for some reason.

Wow. "Hard Rock" is pretty hard due to the notes not appearing until the last moment. The patterns are similar to the previous difficulties so it should be ok.

Hard rock was actually a breeze for me (aside from the baseball song where i couldn't get the final spinner to save my life >

The song selection is atrocious and the sound quality sucks, even with headphones...

If we could get a DS2 with better sound and an EBA2 with better songs I'd be ecstatic.

I liked it, but it wasn't worth it to play through any higher difficulties. I feel the same way about Guitar Hero though (360, not DS), it just has more and better music.

I am about halfway through Hard Rock, getting perfects or near-perfects after 2-3 tries.

I couldn't believe when I ranked up and it said I needed something like 1.2 billion points to rank up. I assume this is the final rank. Although I am getting over 1 million per song at this point, so it shouldn't take too long.

I don't have the patience to perfect the songs to the point where I get S rank. I think I have one or two. I am happy to get "perfect" and rank A.

bread's done
Back