ELITE upgraders? How many of you are actually doing it and Why?

Maynard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
How many of you 360 owners are actually upgrading your 360 to the elite? If so I would love to hear why?

I personally see no reason to do it other than the HD which really doesn't matter all that much and the system sorta looks poopy (saw it in a best buy). Matte finish is bleh. My take

How about you guys?

No lossless audio, no 1.3 compatability, it just doesn't make sense to me. I wish they would have carbon copied the PS3 with those additions and added upconversion.

I probably would have been all over this if the HDMI port was capable of lossless audio, but other than that, I don't need the HD space and I think the thing looks worse than the premium model. I'll pass on this one and wait for the cooler chip and hdmi 1.3 revision. Shame too, I was excited about the DVD upscailing, but as of now, i'd just get a dedicated upscailing dvd player.

Most sites are reporting that

The HDMI doesn't look any different over component.

Its still using the 90 nm cpu which takes two case fans, and still as loud.

Also it has a new hitachi drive but its just as loud as the old one.

The ONLY way I could see buy one is if you had an extended warranty on your current 360 and could get $400 off an elite, and even then its pushing it.

I'm currently have everything hooked up through VGA and I can only hook up through VGA, so I have no need for HDMI. While everyone was complaining that the 360 didn't support HDMI, I was praising it for supporting VGA while PS3 doesn't.

I'm still debating...I'm so close to getting one, I might wait till later in the year. If I find out that the black ones are limited I'll get one as soon as I can if not, I'll wait till later. For me, I think the picture quality from component to HDMI will improve, atleast from what i've seen/heard. My component HD looks great but I I'm sure it can look better. I also have an HD DVD drive. I know that there's no support for lossless audio but since I've never experienced it, I'm convincing myself that I'm not missing anything. I dont want to have to buy a new receiver anytime soon either and the DTS upgrade thats coming will keep me very satisfied. I love DTS!

Sorry for the noob question, but can a firmware update make the Elite 1.3 compatible?

That would be nice... but still not worth it.

I don't even own a HDTV(I know,"OMG! GET HIM!") so HDMI isn't something I care about right this moment. As long as I can get a 1080i signal through component when I do get an HDTV, I will be happy.

I am a new Xbox 360 customer. I got it because of the new 120GB HDD mostly and the black color of the 360. I don't really care about HDMI right now as the TV I play on (most of the time) doesn't have HDMI input.

What makes HDMI 1.3 so great for the 360? Xbox 360 is a DVD based system and things like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio (AKA lossles audio) will never be on DVD as far as I know. Sure it will work with some HD DVDa but who even has a receiver that supports 1.3 with Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio and the HD DVD add-on? Even if you do this doesn't effect gaming.

Deep Color is the other feature of HDMI 1.3 and I don't think any monitors/TVs support it yet.

With that said the Elite price tag is a bit much for me but I'm slightly considering it since I haven't bought an upconverting DVD player yet. It wouldn't cost me much more money to buy the Elite then buying an upconverting DVD player for the upgraded HDD drive, that is if the ebay prices for used 360 don't bottom out.

Won't bother... there's so many reasons not to than to. I was at Fry's
the other day and they want $69.99 for a black wireless controller. :roll:

[quote name='VipFREAK'] I was at Fry's the other day and they want $69.99 for a black wireless controller. :roll:[/QUOTE]
That is for the wireless controller and play & charge bundle. Expensive as hell but that is the reason for the price. $50 for controller and $20 for Play & Charge.

MS needs a massive price drop on accessories.

[quote name='rodeojones903']The ONLY way I could see buy one is if you had an extended warranty on your current 360 and could get $400 off an elite, and even then its pushing it.[/QUOTE]

but if you have one of those, you might as well wait for a quieter, cheaper 360. if they ever make one.

[quote name='Maynard']How many of you 360 owners are actually upgrading your 360 to the elite? If so I would love to hear why?

I personally see no reason to do it other than the HD which really doesn't matter all that much and the system sorta looks poopy (saw it in a best buy). Matte finish is bleh. My take

How about you guys?

No lossless audio, no 1.3 compatability, it just doesn't make sense to me. I wish they would have carbon copied the PS3 with those additions and added upconversion.[/quote]

yeah, MS had there chance to get level with the PS3 and the Effed it up! like you said, no 1.3, no wifi, and the cost of the 120GB? please. i'm not even HD yet, but i'd like to had the option to go FULL HD and wireless. wtf MS?

I'm replacing my 360 using my warranty, but I'm probably not going to get an Elite simply because it uses the shitty Hitachi drives still. I'll probably replace mine with another premium in order to get the Benq drive and I'll swap that out when a cooler, quieter version comes along.

Makes me wish MS could've gotten it at least halfway right the first time. Third time's the charm maybe?

I am getting one probably because I am a sucker for new gadgets. I was able to sell my premium 360 with the vga cord, memory unit, and my live arcade games for $350. I figure that if I ever want to upgrade then now is the time because the value of a used premium will only get lower and lower as time goes on. I am hoping I can sneak by at Circuit City and use that $40 off coupon and put it on my Discover for a 5% cash back bonus. After tax it will have cost me $100 to upgrade which is cheaper than just buying the 120GB hard drive that I know I will need eventually. Plus I will now get 1080P (found out VGA letter boxes both ways on my TV) and I feel mine is one of the few TV's that you will be able to see the difference between 1080P and 1080i because I have a 60" Sony XBR2 1080P TV and I sit 8 feet away from the screen. (This is the sweet spot on the engadget chart for maximum benefit of 1080P screen size VS viewing distance). Also I will now be able to have a good upscaling DVD player which saves me at least $80 and another spot on my entertainment center. Also I will get a brand new 1 year warranty. Last but not least I get the limited edition black color with which I intend to by this skin http://www.decalgirl.com/browse.cfm/4,4073.htm mmm tasty.

[quote name='Chacrana']

Makes me wish MS could've gotten it at least halfway right the first time. Third time's the charm maybe?[/QUOTE]

I hope so, but at this point, a third revision seems like too much. imo, this was MS cashing in it's "360 slim" coupon. I wonder if the 65nm chips are even coming. there was some article about it a while ago, but nothing has been said about it since by MS.

[quote name='Maynard']

No lossless audio, no 1.3 compatability, it just doesn't make sense to me. I wish they would have carbon copied the PS3 with those additions and added upconversion.[/quote]

What exactly is lossless audio and 1.3 compatability, is this something the ps3 has?

[quote name='rodeojones903']The ONLY way I could see buy one is if you had an extended warranty on your current 360 and could get $400 off an elite, and even then its pushing it.[/quote]
Wait what? An extended warrenty purchased from Microsoft when I purchased my premium console???! I can get the elite for $80 if I have the warrenty with my original system and exchange them back to Microsoft? I really don't understand.

I really don't need it but I'm considering it anyway. Supposedly even though they don't have the new 65nm chip, they do run cooler and quieter (and I'm pretty sure I read in that llama article that opend the Elite up that at least some of them have the BenQ drive). Between that and the larger hard drive, I'm thinking about it.

It depends on a bunch of factors such as home much I can get for my Premium without having to commit to a bundle, if I in fact get the new HDTV or not (looking at the 46" Sony XBR2 LCD or possibly waiting for the XBR4/5 line), whether or not there is any reason for me to get a PS3 this year.

Since MS seems to only give refurbished systems when they replace your old 360, if/when the new version with the 65nm chip and quieter drive is on the market, then I will spring for an Elite if I haven't already.

[quote name='oasisboy']What exactly is lossless audio and 1.3 compatability, is this something the ps3 has?[/QUOTE]

Both are technologies that have the potential to be really cool, but have not been widely implemented yet. The PS3 has both. The 360 has neither.

I would have bought in a heartbeat if it had 1.3/lossless/HD-DVD player/built in wireless/quiet/65 chip. At that point I believe it crushes the PS3 if it stays @ $480. I am pretty astounded that it comes with none of those.. you're paying for a larger HD and HDMI input.

Once we get a "real" elite (quieter/cooler/$400 price) I may jump on it. No reason to right now. Someone above said "third time is the charm" and I'm inclined to think that may be the case.

[quote name='getmyrunon']Both are technologies that have the potential to be really cool, but have not been widely implemented yet. The PS3 has both. The 360 has neither.

I would have bought in a heartbeat if it had 1.3/lossless/HD-DVD player/built in wireless/quiet/65 chip. At that point I believe it crushes the PS3 if it stays @ $480. I am pretty astounded that it comes with none of those.. you're paying for a larger HD and HDMI input.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that the lossless audio formats will be entirely useless for games... considering that we're only now starting to see receivers with HDMI 1.3, why would developers start incorporating lossless audio into their games any time soon? Pretty sure it'll just affect the Blu Ray side of things.

I have the 2yr PRP from Best Buy and was told that if my xbox was "broken" that I could exchange it for the Elite and pay the difference. They would probably make me rebuy the 2yr PRP for $50, so it would come to a grand total of $130 probably with tax or $80 with tax w/o PRP. That would still be cheaper then buying new 120 gig HDD and I get HDMI and another HDMI cable. Seems worth it to me. I'll probably get another 2yr PRP and just exchange Elite for another down the road when they finally getting around to revising it with 65nm chip and quieter DVD drive.

[quote name='Chacrana']I'm pretty sure that the lossless audio formats will be entirely useless for games... considering that we're only now starting to see receivers with HDMI 1.3, why would developers start incorporating lossless audio into their games any time soon? Pretty sure it'll just affect the Blu Ray side of things.[/QUOTE]

Nah you don't need HDMI 1.3 to get lossless audio. I am getting it now on my Yamaha receiver that has 1.1. The lossless audio can be as simple as a linear PCM channels. You don't have to have Dolby True HD or whatever the other one is. I have heard from some people that Resistance sounds awesome over Linear PCM. I have only used it for Blu-ray movies so far.

Wow well I guess I was wrong thinking that more people were investing in this system. I really thought I was one of the few people on here who cried RIPOFF!

Lossless audio, as mentioned, does not need 1.3 to function and you can DEFINATELY hear a difference. Everything sounds crystal clear and sounds beautiful. I want a PS3 just for the Blu - Ray but can't justify it yet. I want to hear lossless on my Martin Logan speakers so freaking bad it hurts.

I was really disappointed with the matte black color the Elite is. Shiny black looks so much better.

Anyways, had I not had a 360 already, I would buy the Elite, but it's definitely not worth it to anyone with a 360. HDMI is not needed for 1080p anyways.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Nah you don't need HDMI 1.3 to get lossless audio. I am getting it now on my Yamaha receiver that has 1.1. The lossless audio can be as simple as a linear PCM channels. You don't have to have Dolby True HD or whatever the other one is. I have heard from some people that Resistance sounds awesome over Linear PCM. I have only used it for Blu-ray movies so far.[/QUOTE]

My mistake -- I was referring specifically to the Dolby and DTS formats that require 1.3. Linear PCM's really where it's at and that might actually be utilized since it works with most current receivers IIRC.

No need. I kind of like using VGA for the 360, since my TV has a 1080p VGA input. Not many devices seem to use VGA besides a PC, so it frees up the hdmi, dvi and component inputs.

I would like the bigger hard drive, but I will probably just upgrade that later, when some store clears them out.

I really don't think the elite packs enough of a value for the money over the premium. You are essentially paying for the bigger hard drive, since I don't think hdmi or the black color are things to pay extra for.

Bought it, there were a ton of people @ my local best buy. I got there about an hour early and got the #20 ticket. My store had a total of 30 units. By the time the store opened there was about 50-75 people waiting and when I walked out about 25 mins later, they were still turning people away. Pretty solid turnout considering the price, and that the 360 has been out for 16 months.

[quote name='nixts']Bought it, there were a ton of people @ my local best buy. I got there about an hour early and got the #20 ticket. My store had a total of 30 units. By the time the store opened there was about 50-75 people waiting and when I walked out about 25 mins later, they were still turning people away. Pretty solid turnout considering the price, and that the 360 has been out for 16 months.[/quote]
Any predictions on how many of those 30 units will end up on eBay? I'm guessing about 20.

[quote name='nixts']Bought it, there were a ton of people @ my local best buy. I got there about an hour early and got the #20 ticket. My store had a total of 30 units. By the time the store opened there was about 50-75 people waiting and when I walked out about 25 mins later, they were still turning people away. Pretty solid turnout considering the price, and that the 360 has been out for 16 months.[/QUOTE]

Cool. So that Best Buy sold more Elites today then PS3 will around the country, cool! I hope to find a black controller somewhere today...sigh.

[quote name='gizmogc']Cool. So that Best Buy sold more Elites today then PS3 will around the country, cool! I hope to find a black controller somewhere today...sigh.[/quote]

Please die.

bread's done
Back