Employee STOLE $157 GC from Gamecrazy **EDIT: I GOT MY 157 BACK and He's Been FIRED**

H-Town Info

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
I usually dont like to keep gift cards in my wallet and I usually hide them under my desktop keyboard. Well i went into gamecrazy today to buy TMNT for the Wii to flip them with a copy of Meet the Robinsons to EB for 2 for 1 deal. I went to check out and i gave the gift card to the worker. He then swiped the card and he told me that theres nothing on it. I then called the toll-free number on the gift card to check the balance. The automated system told me that i had 0.00 on my gift card. Then, I spoke to a customer service rep. who told me that I used the card on July 5. I told her that i was never at a gamecrazy that day and they would investigate it. I asked her that i need to know the store that used the 157 dollar GC since i went to 3 gamecrazy altogether when i had the gift card. So, i will talk to the manager at the store that unauthorized use of my gift card, i want that person to fucking apologize and to get fucking ass on the spot to whoever did this hopefully tomorrow.

EDIT: well i went to gamecrazy today. i got a nice manager and i got my 157 dollars back on my card. He told me after 1 hr of investigating that it was an employee who did it and he'll check the tapes today. In summary, i got money back and employee is getting his ass fucked.

[quote name='Demolition Man']And don't forget two vital things when you approach the employee in question:

Magazine Rack
Glitter[/QUOTE]

Of course, I gots to do it

Gift cards are accessed just by the number on the back. The employee could have written it down on a previous transaction, then used it again later.

It'd be hard to prove it wasn't you, but doable. If corporate takes the time to look through records and find out what time and what day the last transaction took place, that can be cross referenced with security tapes to find out who did it. It's just a matter of complaining to them enough to get it done.

Talk to corporate, the manager of the store, and his district manager. Make a point of saying that you are a loyal customer and your trade credit balance shows that, and shows you've given the store plenty of business/merchandise to resell. Some DMs are tough to get results from, so keep on them.

Actually, what I would do if I still worked there is look up the account history for July 5th at that store and find those transactions, reprint the receipts, and then look at the tapes. This is assuming you find out which store did it and they're cooperative, and not all in on the scam. GameCrazy stores have a lot of problems with scamming employees, for some reason.

Did you try to check CameCrazy store ? Are you MVP member ? Try to check each store and tell employee to check your acc. The employee might forgot to put your credit into your card.

If you can find out when it was done, maybe you were at another store and bought something on your debit card, and you can go online and show that you were at another store during that time?

Damn... I never thought something like that was possible. Makes me iffy about giftcards now.

Good luck man, I hope you get this straightened out.

[quote name='jer7583']Gift cards are accessed just by the number on the back. The employee could have written it down on a previous transaction, then used it again later.

It'd be hard to prove it wasn't you, but doable. If corporate takes the time to look through records and find out what time and what day the last transaction took place, that can be cross referenced with security tapes to find out who did it. It's just a matter of complaining to them enough to get it done.

Talk to corporate, the manager of the store, and his district manager. Make a point of saying that you are a loyal customer and your trade credit balance shows that, and shows you've given the store plenty of business/merchandise to resell. Some DMs are tough to get results from, so keep on them.

Actually, what I would do if I still worked there is look up the account history for July 5th at that store and find those transactions, reprint the receipts, and then look at the tapes. This is assuming you find out which store did it and they're cooperative, and not all in on the scam. GameCrazy stores have a lot of problems with scamming employees, for some reason.[/QUOTE]

i think an employee did take my number down and then typed in all of my numbers and took all of credit away.

So no i wasn't near at gamecrazy on july 5th. I was at work that day 10 until 6 and went to a Keith Urban concert that night until 11 pm. I called the corporate office and they told me which store was the one that did it. But, i can't talk to the manager of the store until monday since he's off until then. I told them the manager on duty to let me check every receipt that day and the DVR as well. And he told me, he'll see what he can do. Do i have a case if it happened in the before 6 pm b/c i was working from 10-6pm that day? As in, i was working that day and i can verify i was working during that time? I also have proof of being at the concert that night (i.e pics, tickets, merchandise, parking pass ticket), and filled up gas that night with my credit card to help my case. Also, i told them why would keep a gift card with a balance of 0.00 on it.

Unfortunately it is very easy for someone to rip off gift cards just by getting the number. I remember last Christmas watching a news report that exposed a popular method crooks were using...

They'd go to a store like BB that has racks of uncharged GCs near the register. They would write down the numbers and keep checking the balance on-line or over the phone. As soon as they learn the card has been charged it's time for a shopping spree.

Are you absolutely positive you didn't use the credit? I remember a few months ago my mom was going nuts regarding a charge on her credit card statement. She started calling the company and freaking out until she realized the charge was for shopping at an Asian food market. She's always going to Waldbaum's or ShopRite but decided to check out the new place and completely forgot about it.

Edit - Actually now that I think about it, it is odd that the balance is exactly zero because even if you had used it, there must have been some sort of balance left over unless you happened to buy something that cost exactly $157. As others have mentioned, it shouldn't be too hard to find the culprit. Find the store and the time that the charge occurred and have them access the camera records.

[quote name='nonggame']Did you try to check CameCrazy store ? Are you MVP member ? Try to check each store and tell employee to check your acc. The employee might forgot to put your credit into your card.[/quote]

x2

[quote name='nonggame']Did you try to check CameCrazy store ? Are you MVP member ? Try to check each store and tell employee to check your acc. The employee might forgot to put your credit into your card.[/QUOTE]

yea, no, i doubt it. I had like over 200 on the card, then i bought stuff, and reloaded on the card with some more trade-ins from the 50% deal.

No, what nonggame means is they might have credited your account instead of your card. I can't speak for Game Crazy since there aren't any in NY but one time I traded in a bunch of games at Game Rush (Blockbuster) and the employee didn't put the credit onto my gift card, he credited my account instead. After I noticed this on my receipt, I had him transfer the money from the account to the gift card.

[quote name='H-Town Info']yea, no, i doubt it. I had like over 200 on the card, then i bought stuff, and reloaded on the card with some more trade-ins from the 50% deal.[/quote]

And thus, the case has been solved. The giftcards have a maximum amount of $250 that they can hold. Let's say you had $200 on the card. You used $50, bringing you to $150. Let's say you traded in stuff and got $110 in credit.. which would bring you to $260 on the card. The card will not hold $260.

What do I think happened? Well..

When you went to reload it, you obviously had an amount UNDER $250 in the computer. When added to the amount you previously had on the giftcard, it put you OVER the $250 mark. The computer will not let it go through if the amount is over 250 per one card, but since he chose to "reload" the giftcard in an amount that was under the 250 barrier, it allowed it.

I don't know why it would have a balance of 0.00 unless it reset the card completely, but this is what I think happened.

Am I right? Would the "reloaded" balance been in excess of $250? If so, get a printed receipt from that day and call the corporate office. I think it's a bug in our system, as it happened to another user here.

[quote name='Scorch']And thus, the case has been solved. The giftcards have a maximum amount of $250 that they can hold. Let's say you had $200 on the card. You used $50, bringing you to $150. Let's say you traded in stuff and got $110 in credit.. which would bring you to $260 on the card. The card will not hold $260.

When you went to reload it, you obviously had an amount UNDER $250 in the computer. When added to the amount you previously had on the giftcard, it put you OVER the $250 mark. The computer will not let it go through if the amount is over 250 per one card, but since he chose to "reload" the giftcard in an amount that was under the 250 barrier, it allowed it.

I don't know why it would have a balance of 0.00 unless it reset the card completely, but this is what I think happened.

Am I right? Would the "reloaded" balance been in excess of $250? If so, get a printed receipt from that day and call the corporate office. I think it's a bug in our system, as it happened to another user here.[/quote]

Yeah but that doesn't explain why there was a transaction charged to his card on July 5th when he was nowhere near the store.

[quote name='Scorch']And thus, the case has been solved. The giftcards have a maximum amount of $250 that they can hold. Let's say you had $200 on the card. You used $50, bringing you to $150. Let's say you traded in stuff and got $110 in credit.. which would bring you to $260 on the card. The card will not hold $260.

Am I right? Would the "reloaded" balance been in excess of $250? If so, get a printed receipt from that day and call the corporate office. I think it's a bug in our system, as it happened to another user here.[/QUOTE]

i know the limit for the gift card. It never reached 250 at all. After i made a transaction of July 3rd, i checked my balance via the automated system saying i have 157.xx on my card. Then, the July 5th when it was the bad deed

[quote name='H-Town Info']i think an employee did take my number down and then typed in all of my numbers and took all of credit away.

So no i wasn't near at gamecrazy on july 5th. I was at work that day 10 until 6 and went to a Keith Urban concert that night until 11 pm. I called the corporate office and they told me which store was the one that did it. But, i can't talk to the manager of the store until monday since he's off until then. I told them the manager on duty to let me check every receipt that day and the DVR as well. And he told me, he'll see what he can do. Do i have a case if it happened in the before 6 pm b/c i was working from 10-6pm that day? As in, i was working that day and i can verify i was working during that time? I also have proof of being at the concert that night (i.e pics, tickets, merchandise, parking pass ticket), and filled up gas that night with my credit card to help my case. Also, i told them why would keep a gift card with a balance of 0.00 on it.[/QUOTE]

Did you just say Game Crazy and DVR in the same sentence? When I was there they were using the same VHS for the past few years as a security tape.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Did you just say Game Crazy and DVR in the same sentence? When I was there they were using the same VHS for the past few years as a security tape.[/QUOTE]

i guess vhs tapes or w/e. they have cameras

Sure someone in your house or a friend didn't just steal it and then put it back where they found it? Seems far more likely than a crooked GC employee if you have any friends/siblings at all that knew where it was. It's too big of a coincidence that the GC employee did it when you weren't home considering how often you go there.

It's not impossible but it's pretty difficult to get away with it seeing as it's easily proven. All you would need to prove is that you were somewhere else and they could see how much was used on that day and on what.

Ok for the last time. NOBODY AND I MEAN NOBODY had possession of the gift card except for me. I only use it to reload and pay for items at gamecrazy. THAT'S IT! Plus this gamecrazy i went to that is in questioned is about 30 mins away from house and about 10 mins away from workplace. Finally, theres 2 gamecrazys that are closer to my house that if someone had my card would go there instead of the suspected gamecrazy store. I only use it to reload and pay for items at gamecrazy.

[quote name='H-Town Info']Ok for the last time. NOBODY AND I MEAN NOBODY had possession of the gift card except for me.[/QUOTE]

Because it was in your wallet with you and not under your keyboard, right? ..Oh wait. Well, if you know for a fact that nobody "borrowed" it from you, why not use your powers and find out who did use it?
But seriously just calm down. There isn't much that anybody here can do but to provide possible scenerios and that's no reason to get all snippy.

[quote name='Chitown021']Unfortunately it is very easy for someone to rip off gift cards just by getting the number. I remember last Christmas watching a news report that exposed a popular method crooks were using...

They'd go to a store like BB that has racks of uncharged GCs near the register. They would write down the numbers and keep checking the balance on-line or over the phone. As soon as they learn the card has been charged it's time for a shopping spree.[/quote]

That's completely f***ing pathetic. Wow.

If it doesn't happen to be the situation Scortch said, hopefully the guy was dumb enough to use a credit card for the remaining part of the balance.

It would be difficult if not impossible to get to exactly the balance that was on your card. So if there was a remaining balance they would have had to pay it out of pocket. If it was cash then it doesn't help much but if it was a credit card it will have all of their information.

[quote name='pROvIs']If it doesn't happen to be the situation Scortch said, hopefully the guy was dumb enough to use a credit card for the remaining part of the balance.

It would be difficult if not impossible to get to exactly the balance that was on your card. So if there was a remaining balance they would have had to pay it out of pocket. If it was cash then it doesn't help much but if it was a credit card it will have all of their information.[/QUOTE]

i think scorch's post doesnt really apply to me unless i'm missing something

I would think they could tell you looking through their computer what was bought on the transaction that wiped out the balance. Worst comes to worst, get the local media and police involved. Some local news station must have a consumer affairs reporter always looking out for the little guy. Nobody likes bad publicity.

There is a way to look up all receipts within the past 30 days (Hit 'F4' on the gameworks operation screen).. it has every receipt within the last 30 days, and hitting "F1" will print out a copy of the receipt.

So yeah, they should be able to tell you when it was used and what on.. if indeed it was used at that store.

Where in H-town did this happen? I want to be sure to avoid that location. Also, channel 2 news loves a good consumer scam, so if nothing gets done call them and they will investigate.

[quote name='shhximxhiding']Where in H-town did this happen? I want to be sure to avoid that location. Also, channel 2 news loves a good consumer scam, so if nothing gets done call them and they will investigate.[/QUOTE]

290 and hollister. yea i could call the consumer affair divison to help me out if they can't fix what happened.

if its up to you in the end when and if they figure out who did it always press charges.

I think this is a stupid move for anybody at gamecrazy to make what do they have 2 employees working at every location? pretty easy to get caught red handed.

I think he'd remember, but i'd laugh so freakin' hard if he started an investigation, they brought it up, and he was like "..oh yeah, I did get that. Crap."

sometimes this can happen if you attempt to buy something and then change your mind after the employee hits the giftcard function. it tries to reload the credit but then fails to do so. Also, dont worry, corporate can tell by the giftcard number where the card was used if someone did in fact use your card by typing in the numbers.

[quote name='Scorch']I think he'd remember, but i'd laugh so freakin' hard if he started an investigation, they brought it up, and he was like "..oh yeah, I did get that. Crap."[/quote]

Yeah, I know. I disputed a charge on my CC one time and it turned out I did make the purchase, I just completely forgot. It can happen.

Im just trying to make sure he thinks everything through thoroughly before he calls Ch. 2 (whatever station does that stuff in your area) and has them do a consumer investigation. Nothing worse than having them investigate and you did use it. But you are right, that would be funny.

I have heard stories about people having so many games also, that they never know where they got some of them or what they actually have. You never know if a person has so many games they just used the credit and put the game in their collection and then forgot about doing it.

I don't think he used it and then forgot about it, like others have mentioned how the hell could the balance be $0.00? I've used gift cards many times and they will always have a few cents left on them. Some crooked employee completely wiping the card seems like the most likely scenario.

I'm not really too sure how it works, but couldn't the employee have used the card on something 157+ and paid the rest in cash (or stupidly in credit card)?

I think we should go down there tomorrow morning and fuckin' crack skulls. Time for talkin' is over, now we gotta take the money out their ass.

[quote name='H-Town Info']wish my luck tomorrow.[/quote]

Good luck today with the manager. It sounds like it would be simple enough for them to find out what transaction this occurred on, pinpoint the time of day, and view the video. That's if they just put a little bit of effort into it.

[quote name='Scorch']I think he'd remember, but i'd laugh so freakin' hard if he started an investigation, they brought it up, and he was like "..oh yeah, I did get that. Crap."[/QUOTE]

I don't know about other people but I think it would be pretty hard to forget spending over 150 dollars...10 or 20 thats forgettable but 150 wouldn't be a small purchase

well i went to gamecrazy today. i got a nice manager and i got my 157 dollars back on my card. He told me after 1 hr of investigating that it was an employee who did it and he'll check the tapes today. In summary, i got money back and employee is getting his ass fucked.

bread's done
Back