Employees Of All Stores - Post Your Stupid And Funny Customer Stories - Part Cinco

Whenever I see those giant tables of used games on sale at GS, I get an urge to de-organize them. You know, like casually moving every fifth game 3 spaces down.

If I weren't a nice guy, I totally would've done this by now.

I've been here 2 hours so far and 2 bad customers
First I gave someone her change which was $5.xx. The $5 was a new $5 bill. She accused me of giving her a counterfit bill because "she never saw a bill with a purple number on it before." I marked it with the counterfit bill pen to show her it was legitimate but she still wasn't 100% convinced.

Second, a customer asks me how much a gift bag is. I tell her it's $0.60. They come up the register and expect them to be less than that, because the one she asked about earlier was slightly larger (both are similar in size and both are $0.60 each). They start complaining that it doesn't make sense how they are the same price and the smaller ones should be less and they should be $0.33 each like all the other stores. Yeah right, our nearest competition sells them for $0.75 and 2 minutes down the road is the mall where FYE sells them for $2.99 each and the card shop is $1.99+ each. No one sells them for $0.33 because they'd be losing money if they did. They bought them but said they won't be coming back. Fine with me, let them go their mythical store where they are $0.33 each.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I've been here 2 hours so far and 2 bad customers
First I gave someone her change which was $5.xx. The $5 was a new $5 bill. She accused me of giving her a counterfit bill because "she never saw a bill with a purple number on it before." I marked it with the counterfit bill pen to show her it was legitimate but she still wasn't 100% convinced.

Second, a customer asks me how much a gift bag is. I tell her it's $0.60. They come up the register and expect them to be less than that, because the one she asked about earlier was slightly larger (both are similar in size and both are $0.60 each). They start complaining that it doesn't make sense how they are the same price and the smaller ones should be less and they should be $0.33 each like all the other stores. Yeah right, our nearest competition sells them for $0.75 and 2 minutes down the road is the mall where FYE sells them for $2.99 each and the card shop is $1.99+ each. No one sells them for $0.33 because they'd be losing money if they did. They bought them but said they won't be coming back. Fine with me, let them go their mythical store where they are $0.33 each.[/quote]If thirty cents is going to break you, then I think you have bigger problems than finding a gift bag for cheap. :roll:

I've got some good stories for you guys. I work at Best Buy in the Media section though now im pretty much in games all the time.

1. I have been asked by a customer for an xbox playstation or a nintendo 360.

2. I will never forget the time I have been asked by a customer where the 8 track tapes were and he was dead serious.

3. Also gotta love the customers who try to scam us. One person had brought a PS3 up to customer service with a sticker on it that said $1.99. They tried to argue they should get it for this price. Best part besides the fact the skus are printed on each price tag, they did not cover the $399.99 sticker on the other side. Another good one was one time a customer tried to use a fake credit card and license to buy 2 laptops. The license they tried to use had -7-7 as the zip code and was out of state. I mean really if anyone falls for that wow.

edit- I just remembered a good one. I was going behind customer service to restock the new release games, since we keep them there due to theft. Anyway as I walk over there I overhear a customer arguing why would we not take back a pack of opened batteries. Well first off I have never heard of returning open batteries unless they are expired. But the big kicker of all was the recipt he claimed were for them was from 2005! Thats just a tad over the 30 day return policy.

I've been here 2 hours so far and 2 bad customers

Second, a customer asks me how much a gift bag is. I tell her it's $0.60. They come up the register and expect them to be less than that, because the one she asked about earlier was slightly larger (both are similar in size and both are $0.60 each). They start complaining that it doesn't make sense how they are the same price and the smaller ones should be less and they should be $0.33 each like all the other stores. Yeah right, our nearest competition sells them for $0.75 and 2 minutes down the road is the mall where FYE sells them for $2.99 each and the card shop is $1.99+ each. No one sells them for $0.33 because they'd be losing money if they did. They bought them but said they won't be coming back. Fine with me, let them go their mythical store where they are $0.33 each.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I've been here 2 hours so far and 2 bad customers

Second, a customer asks me how much a gift bag is. I tell her it's $0.60. They come up the register and expect them to be less than that, because the one she asked about earlier was slightly larger (both are similar in size and both are $0.60 each). They start complaining that it doesn't make sense how they are the same price and the smaller ones should be less and they should be $0.33 each like all the other stores. Yeah right, our nearest competition sells them for $0.75 and 2 minutes down the road is the mall where FYE sells them for $2.99 each and the card shop is $1.99+ each. No one sells them for $0.33 because they'd be losing money if they did. They bought them but said they won't be coming back. Fine with me, let them go their mythical store where they are $0.33 each.[/quote]If thirty cents is going to break you, then I think you have bigger problems than finding a gift bag for cheap. :roll:

I've got some good stories for you guys. I work at Best Buy in the Media section though now im pretty much in games all the time.

2. I will never forget the time I have been asked by a customer where the 8 track tapes were and he was dead serious.

3. Also gotta love the customers who try to scam us. One person had brought a PS3 up to customer service with a sticker on it that said $1.99. They tried to argue they should get it for this price. Best part besides the fact the skus are printed on each price tag, they did not cover the $399.99 sticker on the other side. Another good one was one time a customer tried to use a fake credit card and license to buy 2 laptops. The license they tried to use had -7-7 as the zip code and was out of state. I mean really if anyone falls for that wow.

edit- I just remembered a good one. I was going behind customer service to restock the new release games, since we keep them there due to theft. Anyway as I walk over there I overhear a customer arguing why would we not take back a pack of opened batteries. Well first off I have never heard of returning open batteries unless they are expired. But the big kicker of all was the recipt he claimed were for them was from 2005! Thats just a tad over the 30 day return policy.

[quote name='Southard']I've got some good stories for you guys. I work at Best Buy in the Media section though now im pretty much in games all the time.

edit- I just remembered a good one. I was going behind customer service to restock the new release games, since we keep them there due to theft. Anyway as I walk over there I overhear a customer arguing why would we not take back a pack of opened batteries. Well first off I have never heard of returning open batteries unless they are expired. But the big kicker of all was the recipt he claimed were for them was from 2005! Thats just a tad over the 30 day return policy.[/QUOTE]

Ahh this brings to mind my tenure at Best Buy. My favorite interaction with people ( yes this means it happened much more than once) A customer would come up to me about games, and would then during the conversation ask why a ps2 couldnt play xbox, ect. Well the analogy i would use that seemed to be the simplest I could muster was " it is like your cd player not playing your dvd, they are in different formats" The would then ask, "yeah why cant I play dvds in my portable cd player........" thank you and good night.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']If thirty cents is going to break you, then I think you have bigger problems than finding a gift bag for cheap. :roll:[/QUOTE]

I have probably mentioned it before but we have had people complain about 1 or 2 cents. One week the supermarket had soda on sale for 98 cents, we sell it for 99 cents and people asked us to pricematch and claimed we were overpriced depite the supermarket's normal non sale price being $1.79. Another time someone complained we were selling an item for $0.79 that Walmart I think is $0.77 on, he said he would just go to Walmart to get it instead.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I have probably mentioned it before but we have had people complain about 1 or 2 cents. One week the supermarket had soda on sale for 98 cents, we sell it for 99 cents and people asked us to pricematch and claimed we were overpriced depite the supermarket's normal non sale price being $1.79. Another time someone complained we were selling an item for $0.79 that Walmart I think is $0.77 on, he said he would just go to Walmart to get it instead.[/quote]
That's crazy. And WM always prices things at .98 and stuff, just to make sure they have the 'lowest' price. Apparently it works.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I have probably mentioned it before but we have had people complain about 1 or 2 cents. One week the supermarket had soda on sale for 98 cents, we sell it for 99 cents and people asked us to pricematch and claimed we were overpriced depite the supermarket's normal non sale price being $1.79. Another time someone complained we were selling an item for $0.79 that Walmart I think is $0.77 on, he said he would just go to Walmart to get it instead.[/quote]

wow. just wow:roll:

Sooo...true story. Yesterday at work:

Angry woman: My son's PS2 died...he took very good care of it.
Me: Which model did he have?

*5 minutes later, we finally come to the conclusion that he had one of the large, older models*

Me: Well, game system's will eventually die...that's just how it is. It's due to wear and tear. The older models also aren't as reliable as the slim versions that were released 3 and a half years ago.
Angry woman: Well he's very upset about this. How much are new PS2's?
Me: $129.99 new.
Angry woman: *Points to PS3 refurb box* then tell me why you guys charge $349 for a refurb PS3. Why would I pay $220 more!?!
Me: Because they're two completely different systems...
Angry woman: How so?
Me: Well for one, the numbering of the system is different, so obviously there's going to be a difference. It's one of the "next generation consoles", so the newer games can only be played on the PS3.
Angry woman: What about the PS2 games?

*3 minutes of explaining the different PS3 models*

Angry woman: Oh, so THAT'S what they're doing...I see how it is. *walks out of store angrily*

My co-worker and I: *facepalm*

Seriously, I was speechless at times from her sheer stupidity. Could a mom really be this stupid? Even my mom who doesn't play video games probably wouldn't ask such stupid questions.

[quote name='y2kenjination']Sooo...true story. Yesterday at work:

Angry woman: My son's PS2 died...he took very good care of it.
Me: Which model did he have?

*5 minutes later, we finally come to the conclusion that he had one of the large, older models*

Me: Well, game system's will eventually die...that's just how it is. It's due to wear and tear. The older models also aren't as reliable as the slim versions that were released 3 and a half years ago.
Angry woman: *Points to PS3 refurb box* then tell me why you guys charge $349 for a refurb PS3. Why would I pay $220 more!?!
Me: Because they're two completely different systems...
Angry woman: How so?
Me: Well for one, the numbering of the system is different, so obviously there's going to be a difference. It's one of the "next generation consoles", so the newer games can only be played on the PS3.
Angry woman: What about the PS2 games?

*3 minutes of explaining the different PS3 models*

Angry woman: Oh, so THAT'S what they're doing...I see how it is. *walks out of store angrily*

My co-worker and I: *facepalm*

Seriously, I was speechless at times from her sheer stupidity. Could a mom really be this stupid? Even my mom who doesn't play video games probably wouldn't ask such stupid questions.[/quote]

How are those stupid questions? Uneducated consumers don't know the difference, and it IS pretty crappy of Sony to lower the size and remove the backwards compatibility. I'm sure they think that they'll sell PS2's at $130 and PS3's at $400 = $530 instead of the $500 they'd get from selling a PS3. Did you really start out by saying "Well, the difference is the number. Y'see, you had one that had a 2, this one has a 3"?

Anyway, maybe it's because I also work with the public, but I don't see how she was stupid. She didn't know.

[quote name='Scorch']How are those stupid questions? Uneducated consumers don't know the difference, and it IS pretty crappy of Sony to lower the size and remove the backwards compatibility. I'm sure they think that they'll sell PS2's at $130 and PS3's at $400 = $530 instead of the $500 they'd get from selling a PS3. Did you really start out by saying "Well, the difference is the number. Y'see, you had one that had a 2, this one has a 3"?

Anyway, maybe it's because I also work with the public, but I don't see how she was stupid. She didn't know.[/quote]I thought some of what she said was stupid. Things like, "I've had this console for 5 years and now it's not working as well!"
Along with:
That's like asking why a new model car is more expensive than last years model, or, well, a new ANYTHING is more expensive than a previous version. She seemed to have seen the 3 in the PS3... seems like the logical conclusion would be, well, it's just a newer, better model.
As far as simply saying 2 is bigger than 3, well, that doesn't make sense, but I can see what he meant.

I thought some of what she said was stupid. Things like, "I've had this console for 5 years and now it's not working as well!"

Do most of your electronics break down after five years? The way things are progressing, it seems like an average lifespan, but for the most part, we don't expect things to break down in four or five years. Hell, look at the NES and SNES.. still going strong.. as long as you have good lungs.

Granted, the "Why is that more?" question is stupid, but I took the "Why would I pay $220 more?!" to mean "What is there to warrant this extra money?", followed by "Well, if I do take the jump, does it play all the games my kid already has?"

[quote name='Scorch']Do most of your electronics break down after five years? The way things are progressing, it seems like an average lifespan, but for the most part, we don't expect things to break down in four or five years. Hell, look at the NES and SNES.. still going strong.. as long as you have good lungs.[/quote]
I don't expect one way or the other. I think 5 years of regular use is decent, and I'm not sure that comparing our gen models to older systems is fair. Older systems used cartridges where it was basically a chip, I wouldn't expect that to wear down as much as a moving laser.

Granted, the "Why is that more?" question is stupid, but I took the "Why would I pay $220 more?!" to mean "What is there to warrant this extra money?", followed by "Well, if I do take the jump, does it play all the games my kid already has?"
To me it was the tone presented. Not sure if it really went down this way, but there is a big difference between, "What does this system do that makes it so much more money?", and, "Why would I pay $220 more?!" The customer has shut down communication; they don't really care about it. They just think everyone is trying to screw them over, and there isn't much you can do. I usually try to be polite yet concise and not upsell or go into great detail; just give bare facts and agree with them until they leave. But, that does depend on the actual tone of the conversation.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']I don't expect one way or the other. I think 5 years of regular use is decent, and I'm not sure that comparing our gen models to older systems is fair. Older systems used cartridges where it was basically a chip, I wouldn't expect that to wear down as much as a moving laser.

To me it was the tone presented. Not sure if it really went down this way, but there is a big difference between, "What does this system do that makes it so much more money?", and, "Why would I pay $220 more?!" The customer has shut down communication; they don't really care about it. They just think everyone is trying to screw them over, and there isn't much you can do. I usually try to be polite yet concise and not upsell or go into great detail; just give bare facts and agree with them until they leave. But, that does depend on the actual tone of the conversation.[/QUOTE]
Thank you. Yup, it was definitely her tone that was really getting on my nerves. She was upset that poor little Jimmy's PS2 no longer worked, and went out of her way to be a disgruntled customer.

It's not like I'd walk into a Best Buy and yell at customer service if my HDTV were to stop working. Customers need to realize that WE don't make electronics, we only carry them. I can understand how she'd be confused over a PS2 and PS3, but seeing as the numbers are different, and there's a large difference in price, I think even a brainless idiot would come to the conclusion that there's obviously a difference between the two models. Asking me in a rude tone was unnecessary.

Also, I doubt her son took "GREAT" care of the system. I've worked for GameStop for 3 and a half years, and I'd say about 70% of the systems that get traded in are in horrible condition. The customers always say "I took great care of it!" Yeah, right buddy.

I couldn't believe this but today was my friends birthday and one of my other friends went to go get him a present with the coupon and got Infinite Undiscovery. I called BS but he showed me the reciept later on and it was real. Who the hell would buy a game and trade it in so fast? My friend said that the guy at gamestop told him that a customer bought it the same day and returned it saying that he now hated Square Enix. Now if I could get this kind of luck tommorow

[16:26] SeeD Cadet: guy in front of me at walmart in oakland: Yall got iPhones?
[16:27] SeeD Cadet: cashier girl: Our store doesn't have iPhones. But we do have iPod touch which has wifi capabilities etc etc
[16:27] SeeD Cadet: guy: is it like an iphone?
[16:28] SeeD Cadet: girl: It's not an iphone, but it has some similar features
[16:28] SeeD Cadet: guy: ok i'll take that one i guess
[16:28] SeeD Cadet: *pays for it*
[16:28] SeeD Cadet: immediately after paying for it:
[16:28] SeeD Cadet: can i make phone calls with it now?
[16:28] SeeD Cadet: *FACEPALM
[16:29] SeeD Cadet: She then had to immediately return it, so I had to wait for her to call a manager. fun.

Looks like i bumped an old thread :( sorry

[quote name='cranguy'][16:26] SeeD Cadet: guy in front of me at walmart in oakland: Yall got iPhones?
[16:27] SeeD Cadet: cashier girl: Our store doesn't have iPhones. But we do have iPod touch which has wifi capabilities etc etc
[16:27] SeeD Cadet: guy: is it like an iphone?
[16:28] SeeD Cadet: girl: It's not an iphone, but it has some similar features
[16:28] SeeD Cadet: guy: ok i'll take that one i guess
[16:28] SeeD Cadet: *pays for it*
[16:28] SeeD Cadet: immediately after paying for it:
[16:28] SeeD Cadet: can i make phone calls with it now?
[16:28] SeeD Cadet: *FACEPALM
[16:29] SeeD Cadet: She then had to immediately return it, so I had to wait for her to call a manager. fun.

Looks like i bumped an old thread :( sorry[/quote]
She probably could have just said "It's like an iphone without the phone part."

*old thread bump*
Hey, it's too good to let this die. I know you guys have more stories.

I work at Chili's and I had three teenagers come in an hour or so before closing.

Me: Hey, guys. What can I get you to drink?
Girl: Uh...a beer! :D HAHAHAHA
Me: ...oookay. What kind, and I'll need to see your ID.
Girl: Oh. Uh. HAHA. Is a fake one okay??
Me:....nnoooo.

She was reaching for her wallet too so I think she may have been serious. *sigh*

bread's done
Back