Enchanted Arms (Xbox 360, Used) for $7.99 at GameStop, before additional discounts

Hmm. Personally, I don't care where it goes, but I'm curious what makes it not a deal. The used version is $32 less than the new, and reflects a recent $2 price drop. What "GameStop thread" should this go in?

[quote name='illennium']Hmm. Personally, I don't care where it goes, but I'm curious what makes it not a deal. The used version is $32 less than the new, and reflects a recent $2 price drop. What "GameStop thread" should this go in?[/QUOTE]

you should care where it goes, because "non-deals" just clutter of the deals forum.

this also doesn't seem to be much of a deal as it seems to be going on ebay for an average of 6-7 dollars.

http://www.videogamepricecharts.com/search?q=Enchanted+Arms&submit=Search

and just because someone is selling something used, significantly cheaper then it is brand new doesn't exactly mean its a great deal.

Thanks for the effort though

[quote name='Brother Daz']Is this game any good?[/QUOTE]

No, it's not. But the combat isn't that bad. I would skip the cutscenes, the cliche homosexual character you start off with is really, really annoying.

Just remember that any professional reviews were done with the thought that it was the first HD RPG on the 360.

I liked this game for about 15 hours then I just got bored. I would recommend it for this price and expect about 10-15 good hours, then you might have to force yourself to finish it (but some people do that).

I wanted to play it but never did. The combat sounded cool as did the collectible Golem things(I think there's an Otogi golem in there...) but I read the story kind of sucked and characters were annoying as hell. You're probably better off getting Lost Odyssey, which I really enjoyed.

The game is total trash. Don't waste any money on this. The game play gets extremely repetitive about 10 hours in, and the horrible story/characters don't help much either. One of the worst (if not THE worst) RPG on the PS3 and 360.

I don't remember much about the game so it isn't very memorable but I know I really enjoyed it back when it came out.

If you're into rpg games you should grab it. Also extremely easy achievements I'm pretty sure you get 1000/1000 if you just complete the game.

I am playing it right now. There are some really cool moments, and I intend to finish it, but I am kind of stalled at 30 hrs because there are a ton of random battles, and I don't even mind random battles, but this game has them in spades. How much you enjoy the combat will directly influence how much you like this game.

LOVED this game. just make sure to play with the Japanese voices. the English dub is atrocious.

I got it a few days ago when the 2 dollar price drop hit. It's a good game, the combat feels like a next gen Megaman Battle Network, and the ability to save anywhere is a system more games should adopt. Read: ALL games should adopt.

Story's cliche as hell and the VA's terrible, but it's an off brand JRPG, that's just par.

This game was good back when it came out. There are much better RPGs out there now but for $7.99 it isn't so bad. I have to disagree with most people here though an dsay the game gets better towards the end. The first few hours were boring to me.

[quote name='Mahoney07']How is this not a deal?[/QUOTE]

Mediocre 4 year old game used for $8 is a deal to you?

There's a certain irony when Rogue Warrior, which has gotten shit reviews EVERYWHERE, was posted as a deal for $14.99 and this poster gets crap for posting something that isn't terrible by any means.

I just bought it at Blockbuster for $4.99 and got another game free. I would not have paid a penny above that for it. So far, it's... meh. Nothing special.

I enjoyed it. Rented it twice to play it through. $8 would be cheaper than I paid, and I didn't get to keep it. Not that I'd play it again, mind you, but I had fun.

you can get this for under $8 when you apply cag16 or other discount codes and also, it will cost you at least $6 to rent it so it's not really a loss here. anyone who says it is a mediocre is probably just full of it because you cannot compare an older game like this to a newer game like mass effect 2, final fantasy 13 or the newer games. for what it is worth, it got a decent rating and it could be something different that you might like and if you don't like it, you can always sell it or trade it in or give it as a gift to someone and no harm done. worst games I say are those like haze, wanted and the list goes on.

[quote name='intoxicated662']anyone who says it is a mediocre is probably just full of it because you cannot compare an older game like this to a newer game like mass effect 2, final fantasy 13 or the newer games. [/QUOTE]Feel free to look at my gamertag and when I 1k'd it. I'd probably dislike it a whole lot more now, 4 years later.

[quote name='mikejenks']Feel free to look at my gamertag and when I 1k'd it. I'd probably dislike it a whole lot more now, 4 years later.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but point being that you gave it a chance and for you to get 1k on it shows that it was something about the game that kept u going and into it or could be that it has easy achievements so either way, still worth to try it out and decide on ya own since everyone is different.

[quote name='foxdvd']it is worth it for the worst gay character in game or movie history...[/QUOTE]

No, if you want the worst gay character ever, you'll want to pick up the similarly titled God Hand.

[quote name='Untamed Sorrow']Ps3 had more content, I thought it was alright you could do alot worse for the price of a value meal...[/QUOTE]

More content, kind of, but it was also back in the dark ages of multi-plat p3 games.

This was like one of the first games I bought for my 360. I liked it back in 2007 or whatever it was. I played with English dub, and yes the voice acting is atrocious so I'd recommend going with Japanese. Good game, though. About 40 hours long, interesting battle system. It's got this Pokemon-like thing where you can catch creatures called Golems and level them up and battle with them in your party alongside your human characters. It's pretty light on the cutscenes for a JRPG, but still heavy on the dialogue. I'd get it if you like JRPGs and easy achievements.

[quote name='Untamed Sorrow']Ps3 had more content, I thought it was alright you could do alot worse for the price of a value meal...[/QUOTE]
Did you play the same PS3 version as everyone else?

+30 new golems
+Sixaxis waving

-Horrible graphics compared to the 360 version
-Bad framerate
-Metal Wolf Chaos/Otogi golems removed
-Online battling removed

Hardly claim that the PS3 had more content, when it lost so much because of it...

This game is the BEST RPG this generation. From Software essentially trolled the JRPG genre as a whole with this. Every Jrpg has that you know is gay character, but they won't stay it. From Software basically not only makes him gay, but SUPER FLAMING ULTRA COMBO SUPER BUTTSEX IN THE ASS GAY. Then to push it even further, you have the voice acting. I love how Atsuma says MAKATO. And the battle voices? Classic. BRING FORTH DA SHIELDZ! Plus I love how they view the world as only five cities. London, America, Japan, something something. Then there's that hilarious ending. I know it's not a great game, but it's basically a troll of Jrpgs at large, and that makes this game WORTH IT. BUY IT NOW.

Yeah this game was very amusing. Combat is decent once you get use to it. Only part I dreaded was the ending the fights leading up to the ending. Other then that it was a easy 1000GS.

For the price you misewell give it a whirl.

Save yourself 8$ and 50 hours of time.

Repetitive, boring, flat characters, traditional JRPG in the other sense but this game was a struggle past 10 hours.

One of the worst forms of JRPG on 360. (also apparently one of the cheapest)

Edit: Oh ya the english voiceovers are BAD. Listen to the japanese, but even that doesn't help much.

Last edited by a moderator:
don't forget you may get lucky and find a semi collector's edition in stores (I did a few months back when it was $14.99 used or something) this comes in a sideways slip-cover w/ a mini book (I think it was a comic) In fact, I've still seen this set new at places like Sears..

if its an easy 1k, I may have to give it a spin, never occurred me to check that :lol:

[quote name='foxdvd']it is worth it for the most awesome gay character in game or movie history...[/QUOTE]

Fixed that for you.

I bought it for the PS3 when I found it at Blockbuster during the first week of the current BOGO sale for $9.99 (basically making it $4.99 as I kept the free game as well.) I put in about 5-8 hrs for a first impression and I've come to the conclusion that its a filler JRPG, something you play when there's no other JRPG left to play. I enjoyed the battle system and could see myself getting addicted to collecting Golems, but the story and characters have been annoying. That's just my two cents though.

I played through about half of this game when it first came out - and right now I really couldn't tell you what's it's about, who the characters were, what the gameplay is like, etc. I definitely didn't hate the game, I just can't remember anything about it. This has been my review of Enchanted Arms. For the full length review, please refer to the first sentence in my post.

The game is okay and the gay character, albeit extremely feminine, isn't any worst then any other stereotypical rpg character. It's just so run of the mill that there are better options for your time, but this is a fine deal for your money if you're a hardcore rpg fan. I played for about 15 hours or so before I lost interest and sent it back to gamefly.

[quote name='Cheeseknight28']No, it's not. But the combat isn't that bad. I would skip the cutscenes, the cliche homosexual character you start off with is really, really annoying.

Just remember that any professional reviews were done with the thought that it was the first HD RPG on the 360.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't that bad. It was pretty good IMO. The cliche homosexual character is annoying, but you get over it after a while and he does bring a lot of humor into the game. I found myself laughing at the stupid shit this game throws at you half the time. For $8, it's worth a shot and if you're an achievement whore, it should be an easy 1k. It'll take you about 20-30 hours for the full 1k and it's pretty much straight forward.

I can't honestly recommend the game, even though I did beat it 100%. That was mostly for achievements.
Voice acting is bad, music is bad, game just looks outdated in every way (it is 4 years old, but why does Final Fantasy XI still look good when this looks awful?).
However, for some reason, like a few months after I beat it, I looked back on it as some sort of post-modern representation about JRPGs, what with the gay character being so over-the-top and the plot basically coping a lot of key points from FFVIII (startin a school, fighting a sorceress, etc.).
I think From Software was secretly making a parody (or as previously stated, trolling JRPG fans at large) with this thing. Seen in that light, it might be worth picking up.
But...yeah. 100 goozex points was the most it was worth, and I turned around and sent it off directly after beating it.

Engage Enchanted Arms Defense Force!

*come on, EVERY 'polarizing' game has one, God Hand, Demons Soul, etc* ;)

Seriously though, I enjoyed the game enough to play through it TWICE (once on 360 and on PS3). It definitely felt like a homage/parody/spoof/amalgamation of the RPG genre in general. And the dialog was often hilarious in that great Resident Evil style sort of way. And to all the Homo-detractors, first of all you LOSE that character like 2-hours into the game, and second of all, if you actual finish the game, you will realize that he is AWESOME. Yep, AWESOME, and while being comedicaly flamboyant, he is a given a HUGE and important role and isn't some 'throw-away' character (I cant say anymore without spoiling story elements). Honestly, its the most bad-ass role a 'gay' character has ever had in any videogame to date. And if that's what bothers you, then that's YOUR problem and not the game's.

The combat was very fun and strategic, I never felt the need to 'grind', and I had a blast collecting the golems.

Oh and as for the PS3/360 differences, besides what's already been listed, the PS3 also had 3 (or was it 4?) extra dungeons (think of them like the Ultimate/emerald weapons in FF7), and the ability to do a New Game+ type of continuation which allows you to go back/continue/explore to get all the golems you may have missed (the 360 version does not).

Flame me all you want, I thoroughly ENJOYED the game, and that's what a games purpose should be. :)

Heck, anyone interested really has NOTHING to lose. Pay the $8 (or less with coupons) at Gamestop, try it out for 7 days, and if you dont like it, return it for a FULL refund.

I played it back in the day when it first came out as there were no other RPGs available. I pretty much enjoyed it. I finished it (the last bit of grinding just about killed me) and quickly sold it back to Gamestop as I knew I would never touch it again. Definitely worth $8 but just about any game is so that's not saying much.

My advice is that the cost of this game isn't bad, but the time required is simply not worth it. This game is OK if you're out of games to play and want an RPG, but if you've got a huge backlog (or a life), you'll find that there are better things worth your time.

[quote name='mikejenks']Mediocre 4 year old game used for $8 is a deal to you?[/QUOTE]

Is it cheaper than it was before at Gamestop? Oh it is.... then it is a deal. Just because you think the game should be cheaper doesn't make it any less of a deal. To you it must be a bad deal, but it is still a deal.

[quote name='artego']Did you play the same PS3 version as everyone else?

+30 new golems
+Sixaxis waving

-Horrible graphics compared to the 360 version
-Bad framerate
-Metal Wolf Chaos/Otogi golems removed
-Online battling removed

Hardly claim that the PS3 had more content, when it lost so much because of it...[/QUOTE]

Oh no they removed the online battle system almost nobody used..... OH NO!!!!!!!!

I would say for $8 it is worth it. Yes there are far better games, but I would say the game is worth $8. Mediocore story, pretty fun and unique battle system, and decent graphics (at the time they were pretty good).

I would say as far as Xbox 360 RPGs go, if you are looking for a somewhat unique experience then go with this game. It has unique combat and unique forgettable characters. Emphasis on forgettable.

bread's done
Back