End Of Consoles...Beginning Of Ads

Rishad Tobaccowala

what? That name's fake as hell. :lol:

seriously, though I saw one point about consoles becoming less relevant and I have to say I agree with that. The upcoming gen is very exciting, but these systems are positively saturated. Where will they go from there? The console wars need to chill out and let the software wars begin, I wanna see who can make the best game, not the best system :)

Christ, I can't handle that much marketing bullshit in one sitting. If this was a presentation, I'd hand out Bullshit Bingo cards.

[quote name='Apossum']what? That name's fake as hell. :lol:

seriously, though I saw one point about consoles becoming less relevant and I have to say I agree with that. The upcoming gen is very exciting, but these systems are positively saturated. Where will they go from there? The console wars need to chill out and let the software wars begin, I wanna see who can make the best game, not the best system :)[/QUOTE]

Agreed!

[quote name='Apossum']what? That name's fake as hell. :lol:

seriously, though I saw one point about consoles becoming less relevant and I have to say I agree with that. The upcoming gen is very exciting, but these systems are positively saturated. Where will they go from there? The console wars need to chill out and let the software wars begin, I wanna see who can make the best game, not the best system :)[/QUOTE]

It is a symbiotic relationship. Hardware drives new software and software drives new hardware. Neither progresses long without the other.

[quote name='epobirs']It is a symbiotic relationship. Hardware drives new software and software drives new hardware. Neither progresses long without the other.[/QUOTE]

I partially agree with that. I think hardware has progressed far enough though, we are close enough to photo realism, not that realism is what I want out of all my games anyway. but as J allard said at the ms conference "the age of jaggies is over" and IF he's right, that's good enough for me and most people. As long as developers make good games(and advertisers do their job) a generation of systems could last a very long time. I agree, hardware has played an important role taking games to the next level, but we're there, so it all comes down to the developer's ideas and execution.

but who am I kidding? PS4 in 2011!!! woo hoo!

I think it best to quote this...

An Interview between Gamespot, and Acclaimed "Metal Gear" Creator Hideo Kojima...
[quote name='Article']GS: Now, obviously I don't think you can say much about 4, but maybe we can talk a little bit generally about what excites you about the new hardware and gameplay potential of the new system?

HK: I said in the Sony conference I would like to concentrate on what we cannot see.

Well up to the days of today of game creating, if you...if I give an example of movie creation, it's like everyone was trying to raise...to make a better, prettier set. If you compete to make that set bigger or maybe prettier, it still doesn't make a difference. A set is a set. Meaning, you know, the back side is hollow, or it's all fake. For instance, if you were to create a fake jungle, the trees necessarily don't have to be trees. They could be plastic.

And with the next gen coming up, I think that most of the creators are thinking, oh, why don't we expand the size of the set or make the set prettier or concentrate on the things that the players can see. This direction will probably be the trend even in the next-gen console. And I think that no one can win or no one can make a breakthrough doing this. Therefore I would like to take a different approach, and that's why I said I want to concentrate on the things we cannot see.

So an example is, I do not want to create a set anymore. I want to create the environment from scratch. So if I were to continue the example of a jungle, I don't want to create fake jungles anymore. I would like to plant a tree, put a life-form in there, life program in there, so that in the game, when you water the plant, it will grow. If you don't water the plant, it will die. What I would like to present to the user is now play our hide-and-seek game in this real world, not the set jungle that everyone competes on.

It's also up to the user's decision on the next-gen games, meaning they have a decision to make, if the creators create something, a larger set, a larger jungle, but only it looks like a jungle, it looks like the real thing with the visual graphics enhanced. The users can select that "yes, I would like to play in the fake world or the set." Or, it could be smaller since we put the machine specs on concentrating on what we cannot see, the whole playground itself might get smaller, but we will create the world, and you can play in this real world. It will be a decision to use this, which you like to play.
[/QUOTE]

I guess he is talking about PC gaming. Let's face it the business model is sell the console cheap and make the money back in games.

If I wanted to pay $1000 for a console system I would buy a PC for gaming.

[quote name='Apossum']I partially agree with that. I think hardware has progressed far enough though, we are close enough to photo realism, not that realism is what I want out of all my games anyway. but as J allard said at the ms conference "the age of jaggies is over" and IF he's right, that's good enough for me and most people. As long as developers make good games(and advertisers do their job) a generation of systems could last a very long time. I agree, hardware has played an important role taking games to the next level, but we're there, so it all comes down to the developer's ideas and execution.

but who am I kidding? PS4 in 2011!!! woo hoo![/QUOTE]

We're still a good ways off from photorealism for most organic objects. The Kilzone PS3 demo is a good example. Parts of it are very convincing and could perhaps be taken for a real cityscape. But it doesn't take more than a brief glance to dismiss any of the characters as actual people. Even the Nvidia demo of the floating woman was still just a well animated mannequin. The problem is that our brains have been honed by millions of years of evolution to react to other living things. We don't analyze boulder so readily since throughout the history of large objects that suddenly sprang up and ate somebody, the lions have the boulders beat by a really big ratio.

The worst is faces. We know no thing better than our fellow humans, except for a few brain damaged or gentically impaired people out there who cannot interpret the emotions conveyed by human faces at all. Making a convincing animated human face is awesomely difficult. If you come close the result can be so creepy that it is unusable.

Then, even after the images look as good as our eyes can perceive, there is still the problem of making it all behave properly. There will probably be an amazing Burnout 5 on next gen systems. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't already working on the engine. The crashes will be beautiful to behold but they'll also be recognizably fake. There is just too many variables in a single car to do a realtime crash and damage simualtion any time soon that will be completely indistinguishable from the real thing. Physics is hard. And soft. And places in between. THat frontiers offers many generations of advancement still to come.

The game consoles won't merge into a single standard (like VHS & DVD players) until sometime after 2020.

Until then, we'll continue to see gradual improvements in graphics & therefore a need for new hardware & therefore a battle between different consoles.

troy

bread's done
Back