End of the Third Party Exclusives: FF XIII To Be on 360

H.Cornerstone

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
http://kotaku.com/5025018/final-fantasy-xiii-coming-to-xbox-360

Looks like the era of third party exclusives has come to an end.
FF XIII is coming to 360.

I still don't think this helps them Japan, but could help in NA.

Never thought I'd see this day. This is probably why it's taking them so long to finish the game.

Ohhh well. I'll still play it on PS3.

And I guess we should have seen this coming with the head of Worldwide Studios talking about 3rd party exclusives not being something that companies were doing anymore.

Anyone want to do an over under on how long it takes a petition to form?

Last edited by a moderator:
That news pretty much assures that the PS3 will never ovetake the 360 in North America.

I can't think of a bigger 'system seller' for the PS3 than FFXIII and they just lost that exclusivity.

[quote name='Puffa469']That news pretty much assures that the PS3 will never ovetake the 360 in North America.

I can't think of a bigger 'system seller' for the PS3 than FFXIII and they just lost that exclusivity.[/quote]

I don't know about that, FF XIII is not THAT big in NA, it's bigger in Japan and Europe. But, it's one of Sony's three biggest franchises, with MGS and Gran Turismo. They still have Twisted Metal, God of War, and Killzone/Resistance.

And from what I am reading, which I am not too sure because it's kind of confusing, it sounds like it's coming out only on PS3 in Japan, and then multi-platform in Europe and NA.

Either way, lets see what Sony has up their sleeve tomorrow before we rush to any conclusions.

I will give MSFT credit, they just went a long way to winning E3.

[quote name='MarkMan']In before TMK.

Glad it went multiplatform btw.[/quote]

I've never been a big RPG fan, so I don't really care, but it's still a huge blow either way as it's one of the biggest franchises.

However, I request that everyone hold off proclaiming doom and gloom for Sony until their conference tomorrow.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Except nearly every game on the Wii will be exclusive, but point taken. Carry on.[/QUOTE]

Or on the PSP and/or PS2 as well.

Exactly what I said in the 'MGS4 to 360?' thread: it's over, third-party exclusives are dead. If not now, soon.

We've reached the point where games simply cost too much to develop and limit themselves to one system. This becomes especially important when the exclusive is for the 'already behind' console. As I said previously, the new 'exclusives' will be DLC based, like we just saw with Fallout 3 (content) and Portal 2 (game). It's why MS paid out the ass for the GTA4 content... it's the future of exclusivity.

This is now the time where it will be important for companies to have either a LARGE sum of cash, or a good stable of first-party properties. Nintendo, of course, is going to be sitting pretty no matter what. They've got funds AND a huge back catalogue of their own properties to trot out. Sony and Microsoft have the first one, but are largely missing the second. Sony has Gran Turismo and God of War, and Microsoft has enough money to KEEP third-parties loyal thru publishing rights (Gears, etc).

So, what's left? Huge games by third-parties... that are going to end up multi-platform. With this announcement, anyone who believes that MGS4 will NEVER EVER come to the 360 might want to reconsider. There's a ton of money to be made, and companies would be stupid to refuse it. It's no longer cost-effective to stay single console, especially when that console has a smaller install base... that's the sad truth.

This is without a doubt the biggest blow to Sony this generation. Not even MGS4 on 360 could do this. I'll still get FFXIII on PS3, but man, that really is a blow. I don't think it's coming to 360 in Japan though if reports are right.

exclusives coming to an end? Where is SO4 and Infinite Undiscovery for ps3??

Hopefully SE will counter balance this news with something else for sony.
FF7 remake? lol

[quote name='imascrub']exclusives coming to an end? Where is SO4 and Infinite Undiscovery for ps3??

Hopefully SE will counter balance this news with something else for sony.
FF7 remake? lol[/quote]

yeah for the 360 :applause::applause::applause:

square-enix knows where the $$$ is at and is making games for which ever sells more.

love the exclusives for the 360s and the multiplatforms too.
Like I said last time, this just means no need to buy another system and more $$$ for games

the is a real TKO for sony with FF13 also on the 360 :D

wow

i don't think sony is done though, they still have god of war, gran turismo, and of course bluray. however without a doubt they just lost their biggest system seller.

The only people who would buy this are people who had absolutely no intention of ever getting a PS3 AND people who like RPGs, of which there are actually very few people. Hell, as far as we know, it's not even coming out in Japan. I bet MS got suckered into paying S-E millions for this non-news item. Sucks for them.

A REAL news story would be this AND MGS4 coming to 360, effectively taking away the #1 reason why people are buying PS3s recently, but since MS's conference is done and gone without a MGS4 announcemnet, this won't be happening, at least not for a long time.

[quote name='Maklershed']Yes, but apparently the 360 is going to have exclusive downloadable content.[/QUOTE]

EVERYTHING I have read has said the two games would be as identical as possible. If you could kindly provide a link, that would be great. Otherwise, that's pure speculation and likely BS.

[quote name='Maklershed']Yes, but apparently the 360 is going to have exclusive downloadable content.[/quote]

Is this the type of exclusive where they pay 50 million to get dlc that comes out a year later when nobody is playing the game anymore?

[quote name='Maklershed']http://kotaku.com/5024977/fallout-3-getting-exclusive-downloadable-content-for-xbox-360-and-pc

http://kotaku.com/5024977/fallout-3-getting-exclusive-downloadable-content-for-xbox-360-and-pc[/QUOTE]

Were you replying to Reality's Fringe's post? You better have been, because that link is about Fallout 3, not FF13. Just because SOME multiplatform game is getting exclusive content (that's not actually exclusive since it's also on PC), doesn't mean every multiplatform game will.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']The only people who would buy this are people who had absolutely no intention of ever getting a PS3 AND people who like RPGs, of which there are actually very few people.[/quote]
I'm not so sure about this. A person's intent to get a system is based on the games, so its really about people who like RPGs, of which there are many. Whether or not they currently own a 360, there is another option on the table to play this one game.

-If they own both, it doesnt matter much.
-If they own one or the other, it matters hurts their chances of getting a PS3 if they are 360 only, though those chances may have been slim to begin with.
-If they own neither, but may consider one in the future, it may be a very important consideration when weighed against the backdrop of the rest of the library.

Given that there is plenty of room for market expansion, especially since both are still at a very high price, I think its important.

However, the system selling effect will be diluted by the base rate of sales on a monthly basis, such that when the game actually comes out, the effect will be negligible.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dead of Knight']
[quote name='Dead of Knight']Were you replying to Reality's Fringe's post?[/quote]

Yes. His post was about Fallout 3.

So, after reading joystiq, what they are doing is finishing the game first on PS3 for japan. Then, once that's done, they will localize it and while they are doing that port it over to the 360. So, that pretty much gaurentees it's not coming over here till 2010, and that the 360 version will probably not be the best port. Now, I could be wrong, but don't know how well you could port that game over in a year.

That's what irks me, the fact that further delay is almost certain.

Though I suppose you never have to break a release date if you don't give one in the first place.

It also doesn't sound like Square's 100% committed to the day/date thing. If I read correctly, I distinctly remember a "try" in there somewhere. I am not expecting this to be pretty. Why? We've never seen Square port a game before in the same generation (MMO's aside). It's always been exclusivity for them. And given that they're going to finish the game on one platform and THEN port it...ooh boy, that does not sound good at all.

NOTE: The Trailer says "At launch". I mean...what is that? That's vague as hell.

Still, the ambiguity concerns whether or not it'll hit the US and Europe at the same time. The simultaneity of the release on both platforms was much more explicit. SE could certainly change plans, though, as this all falls right in line with its general trend towards the noncommital as of late.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']The only people who would buy this are people who had absolutely no intention of ever getting a PS3 AND people who like RPGs, of which there are actually very few people. Hell, as far as we know, it's not even coming out in Japan. I bet MS got suckered into paying S-E millions for this non-news item. Sucks for them.

A REAL news story would be this AND MGS4 coming to 360, effectively taking away the #1 reason why people are buying PS3s recently, but since MS's conference is done and gone without a MGS4 announcemnet, this won't be happening, at least not for a long time.[/quote]
I disagree, getting Final Fantasy XIII was a good move on Microsoft's part.

Microsoft is positioning their console as the place to play RPGs, both US and Japanese because of the sheer number of RPGs they're getting on the system (it's especially impressive the number of JRPGs they're getting, especially compared to the number of JRPGs on the PS3) By getting Final Fantasy XIII on the 360 they may have very well swayed a lot of RPG and Final Fantasy fans to get a 360.

[quote name='KingBroly']It also doesn't sound like Square's 100% committed to the day/date thing. If I read correctly, I distinctly remember a "try" in there somewhere. I am not expecting this to be pretty. Why? We've never seen Square port a game before in the same generation (MMO's aside). It's always been exclusivity for them. And given that they're going to finish the game on one platform and THEN port it...ooh boy, that does not sound good at all.

NOTE: The Trailer says "At launch". I mean...what is that? That's vague as hell.[/QUOTE]

It's going to be released on both systems at the same day. Stop trying to find away this truth.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I disagree, getting Final Fantasy XIII was a good move on Microsoft's part.

Microsoft is positioning their console as the place to play RPGs, both US and Japanese because of the sheer number of RPGs they're getting on the system (it's especially impressive the number of JRPGs they're getting, especially compared to the number of JRPGs on the PS3) By getting Final Fantasy XIII on the 360 they may have very well swayed a lot of RPG and Final Fantasy fans to get a 360.[/QUOTE]

I am an RPG whore, anyone on this site knows this, but I will NOT get a 360 until the RROD is FIXED. I refuse to buy a console that's defective out of the box. Hopefully the newest hardware update resolves it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Is it sad that I can't tell if the first character in the trailer is male or female? Please no effeminate male characters this time. :(

Lets just hope people buy this for the 360 over the PS3 in Europe and the US so Square continues this trend. Even if it came out in Japan it would be like what, 20k units tops? The 360 will forever be dead in Japan.

This owns though, leaving two games left that are PS3 only: God of War 3 and MGS4. I'm guessing MGS4 hits the 360 next year.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Lets just hope people buy this for the 360 over the PS3 in Europe and the US so Square continues this trend. Even if it came out in Japan it would be like what, 20k units tops? The 360 will forever be dead in Japan.

This owns though, leaving two games left that are PS3 only: God of War 3 and MGS4. I'm guessing MGS4 hits the 360 next year.[/quote]

LittleBigPlanet?

[quote name='KingBroly']LittleBigPlanet?[/QUOTE]

A good chance if the hype lives up to It's name. God of War sounds more like a quality choice considering all of them have owned ass so far. Persona and God of War are the reasons my PS2 is still kicking. Persona 5 hasn't been announced yet, I guess that would be the other title in 1-2 years.

Would anyone care if MGS4 was ported to 360 now? I mean, really? PS3 also has Resistance which looks pretty sweet I guess and Killzone 2 if it becomes quietly amazing.
I'd still say FFXIII will be bigger for PS3 than 360, and will move a lot more units on PS3 just because of the no Japanese presence of it on 360. It could've made a difference, but not much. I see the game getting the Devil May Cry effect, where no one cared, went multiplat, pissing contest, no one cared anymore sort of it. But it'll still be bigger, but it'll have that same effect.

I see the game getting the Devil May Cry effect, where no one cared, went multiplat, pissing contest, no one cared anymore sort of it. But it'll still be bigger, but it'll have that same effect.
What? DMC4 has sold nearly 2.5 million copies.

bread's done
Back