Engadget Rumor: Wii price drop May 15th ($150)

jbug617

CAGiversary!
Engadget saying that their sources are telling them that a price drop is coming. Maybe a price drop also means that Nintendo may be ready to announce their next console at E3.

www. engadget. com/2011/04/12/nintendo-cutting-wii-price-to-150-on-may-15th/

A price drop does make sense, given that Wii sales are weak compared to the last few years and 3DS isn't selling so hot. Nintendo needs something to keep profits up until the holiday season (loads of new content for Wii/3DS) and this would be the perfect way to ensure very strong sales of Wii Play Motion.

3DS is selling fine compared to previous portable launches. It's just that for once supply met demand, I hope Sony takes cue from this and does the same thing for the NGP.

Once it gets some killer apps in Q3/Q4, it'll take the hell off. As for the Wii, it has needed a price cut for quite a while now. I don't quite know if $50 is enough though...it may be if it continues to package software with it.

Hmm... $150 isn't bad, but what game(s) does that include? The article hints at Mario Kart Wii. If they are just removing New Super Mario Bros from the package and shipping the Wii only Wii Sports instead of an additional pack-in, then it's not really a meaningful price drop.

Hopefully this is a sign that new hardware is on the way before long.

well looks like I can get a second one, and dedicate my current unit to only play VC games (b/c it sucks that if the console dies, you lose! spent over $500 easy) Hope this includes the LE Mario red editions that may still be out there. That would be the one to get!

[quote name='token2k6']well looks like I can get a second one, and dedicate my current unit to only play VC games (b/c it sucks that if the console dies, you lose! spent over $500 easy) Hope this includes the LE Mario red editions that may still be out there. That would be the one to get![/QUOTE]

If you tied it to a Club Nintendo account and got a system repaired, you'd keep your purchases.

bread's done
Back