Enslaved: Odyssey to the West $39.99/$45.15 (PS3/360) @ Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
this game is actually pretty fun-been playing it this last week--(not down to do a marathon run like some have)--but i play about 2 chapters every other day-each chapter is about 40 min. and there are 14 chapters-just to give you an idea on how long or short it is-but the game play-- graphics-- and story are pretty good.

you can also trade this in to best buy for $30

also if you want it a bit cheaper used copies are being sold for about $30 on ebay.

This game is very very short. I beat the game on a one day rental. Do not buy unless you like throwing your money away.

[quote name='likeme']This game is very very short. I beat the game on a one day rental. Do not buy unless you like throwing your money away.[/QUOTE]

Its not THAT short. Its a 10-12hr game. I call that pretty standard anymore. For the type of game that it is, the length is just right. Fantastic game overall with likable character, good story, and a beautiful world. I highly recommend getting the game, though probably in the $20-$30 range.

Oddly enough I had ordered this during Amazon B2G1 but since this was $50 at the time (my other 2 were RB3 and DJH2) it was my free game. Good news is I still win.

[quote name='gamer6587']I will wait until it is around $10-15....

cant justify spending more than $20 on single player games anymore[/QUOTE]

This is why multiplayer is mindlessly thrown into games so often, usually detracting in some way from the single-player experience. That's why so many single-player games seem to be worth less to you, the devs aren't able to put as much into the experience because they feel they have to put some form of multiplayer into their game to be able to compete in the market...

It's a shame, really. This old-school gamer hasn't jumped on the multiplayer bandwagon, and I relish a great single-player experience more than anything... Which, is what this game offers.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mixer236']This is why multiplayer is mindlessly thrown into games so often, usually detracting in some way from the single-player experience. That's why so many single-player games seem to be worth less to you, the devs aren't able to put as much into the experience because they feel they have to put some form of multiplayer into their game to be able to compete in the market...

It's a shame, really. This old-school game hasn't jumped on the multiplayer bandwagon, and I relish a great single-player experience more than anything... Which, is what this game offers.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

[quote name='gamer6587']I will wait until it is around $10-15....

cant justify spending more than $20 on single player games anymore[/QUOTE]
You can justify buying Vanquish for $60. Enslaved however, more casual trash for people that like everything pointed out to them & only like running in linear lines. Ninja Theory needs to be closed down, we don't need anymore movie industry drop-outs making video games.

[quote name='Mixer236']This is why multiplayer is mindlessly thrown into games so often, usually detracting in some way from the single-player experience. That's why so many single-player games seem to be worth less to you, the devs aren't able to put as much into the experience because they feel they have to put some form of multiplayer into their game to be able to compete in the market...

It's a shame, really. This old-school gamer hasn't jumped on the multiplayer bandwagon, and I relish a great single-player experience more than anything... Which, is what this game offers.[/QUOTE]
No, some devs like Ninja Theory are just bad is all. Everything they touch turns to shit and then they cry when sales are poor, blaming everyone else but themselves. The new Castlevania is a prime example of old school platforming done right in 3D.

It's a shame, really. This old-school gamer hasn't jumped on the multiplayer bandwagon, and I relish a great single-player experience more than anything... Which, is what this game offers.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this statement. I love a good single player experience. Multi player can be a great time, but nothing beats that which you create with yourself on your own time and pace.

Fun game, but as most have said, it's a rental. I got it on B2G1 from Gamestop, so I'll still be able to get some good money out of it. Either way, it's still a really fun game. Just don't see much replay value to it.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']You can justify buying Vanquish for $60. Enslaved however, more casual trash for people that like everything pointed out to them & only like running in linear lines. Ninja Theory needs to be closed down, we don't need anymore movie industry drop-outs making video games.[/QUOTE]

That's kind of harsh but the team do need to get their act together next time. I bought this game as part of buy 2 get 1 free at Amazon last week and started playing on hard and beat it in 3 days of casual playing. I'm a Ninja Gaiden type of player so this game on hard is... uh not hard at all. There are few major flaws. First the framrate, it's exactly like Heavenly Sword from their past effort. It's very unstable and I have the 360 version. Can't imagine on the PS3 with additional v-sync problems. Second, the combat controls. The block, dodge, and counter all use a different button. That's just not necessary as it just gets in the way of the action. They could have easily combine at least two a la Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta and makes the gameplay a lot smoother. The combat moves are very limited with only a handfull at your disposal. It pales in comparision to real action games. Third, the voice audio is way too soft. Since they combined the voice and sound effects of the volume slider in the options, you can't adjust them separately. Turning the voice louder makes the sound effect louder as well so it doesn't really help at all. I had to turn on the subtitle in order to understand many parts of their conversation through out the game. Those are the grips I have with this game and everything else is fairly decent, like story, their trademark characters' facial expressions, most colorful game using Unreal Engine, etc... and of course, all the flaws of Unreal Engine too like texture poping up slowly after the screne is already displayed. Despite its flaws, I still prefer it better than games like God of War. It's a casual action game that's fairly different and lacks the boring fighting mechanics of God of War and no bs QTEs! This game is worth a play through for a new IP but needs to go sub $30. I have already traded mind in but will purchase again as a collection when it goes less than $20. Speaking of new IPs, Vanquish, is worth it for the money. I'll leave my Vanquish mini review in another Vanquish thread if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FireWarrior']Wouldn't even pay 5 bucks for this game. Hated it.[/QUOTE]

Common, it's gotta worth 5 bucks. Give us your reasons.

Today's price of $25 @ Amazon is a steal. I can't believe this game was $40 only a few weeks from release, and now it's just crazy cheap. Get this if you like platforming adventures w/ easy combat, and yes, I really appreciate that the emphasis was on story & not trying to kill you.

for those of you with prime, and the ability to get this game rather quickly...the trade in price is 25 dollars on amazon as well...soooo.....yea....

Just bought, was going to wait for $20, but I'm interested enough to bite for $25, plus that's the free shipping threshold. That's a pretty big sale price.

[quote name='Jodou']No, some devs like Ninja Theory are just bad is all. Everything they touch turns to shit and then they cry when sales are poor, blaming everyone else but themselves. The new Castlevania is a prime example of old school platforming done right in 3D.[/QUOTE]

Eh, to each his own. I, personally, have loved the past two games that they put out. Never played Devil May Cry but will give the reboot a chance just because I know Ninja Theory is doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back