Entering Canada from the U.S.

WinnieThePujols

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I'm sure someone will know the answer to this.

Since I live in the North of the United States (North Dakota) and am in college, a group of friends and I are taking are taking a trip to Canada. I'm sure everyone knows this, but the drinking age up there is only 18. I'm only 19, so this will be kind of neat to experience what it's like to be able to go out and drink at clubs and stuff. (The plan is to get drunk/buzzing before we go off of part of a case so that we don't blow our money on severely overpriced club drinks).

Anyway, what do you need to get into Canada (as far as crossing the border goes)? I heard that next year they're going to require a passport, but what is it currently? One friend is telling me the dozens of trips he's taking there he's only needed his driver's lisence... but then another friend is telling me I need my birth certificate. That's a problem, though, because I don't have a birth certificate. I lost it. I worked at Sam's Club, quit there after 3 days and left it in my locker there and completely forgot about it. I'm sure it's long gone now... I do, however, have a scan of it that I made a while back... you think if I print that off it will work?

So what do you need?
A birth certificate?
Multiple forms of ID?

etc..

You need a drivers license. I called the u.s. consulate once and they were saying "you're supposed to have a birth certificate", but you don't need one. I've entered canada at least 15 times and never needed one. It's a precaution, but not a requirement.

Also, some advice, when you go into canada have your ID ready. I always had my hand out the window, ready to hand it to them, when pulling up. They are more suspicious when you don't. Don't volunteer any info unless asked though, other than the ID (which they don't even always check). You don't need to show them registration (they didn't even know what it was when I handed it to them).

Coming into the u.s. it's the opposite. Only present your ID and registration when asked. Answer only what is asked, in short answers. Any non essential you give seems to make them suspicious, and being overly willing (ie. handing them the id before they ask) also makes them suspicious. Also, go into one of the right lanes. The closer you are to the main building the harder time they seem to give you, and the more likely you are to be searched. I don't know why, but that's from my experience.

My experience of the guards is this: The americans are rude because they are arrogant, and prone to overreaction. The canadian guards are rude because they have to work, and therefore are much more lenient when things appear mostly normal.

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']I'm sure someone will know the answer to this.

Since I live in the North of the United States (North Dakota) and am in college, a group of friends and I are taking are taking a trip to Canada. I'm sure everyone knows this, but the drinking age up there is only 18. I'm only 19, so this will be kind of neat to experience what it's like to be able to go out and drink at clubs and stuff. (The plan is to get drunk/buzzing before we go off of part of a case so that we don't blow our money on severely overpriced club drinks).

Anyway, what do you need to get into Canada (as far as crossing the border goes)? I heard that next year they're going to require a passport, but what is it currently? One friend is telling me the dozens of trips he's taking there he's only needed his driver's lisence... but then another friend is telling me I need my birth certificate. That's a problem, though, because I don't have a birth certificate. I lost it. I worked at Sam's Club, quit there after 3 days and left it in my locker there and completely forgot about it. I'm sure it's long gone now... I do, however, have a scan of it that I made a while back... you think if I print that off it will work?

So what do you need?
A birth certificate?
Multiple forms of ID?

etc..[/QUOTE]

Need to correct you on a couple things there. For starters, drinking age is 19, not 18. Also, if you plan on drinking and driving you better have a damn good lawyer, cause Canda is extremely strict with traffic laws. You will land yourself in jail before you have a chance to leave the parking lot.

As for getting into the country, unless you find an extremely lax border patrol agent, which is basicly non-existant after 9/11 (fucking over-reacting U.S. government), you WILL need an ORIGINAL birth certificate. Copies will NOT work. What you can do is get ahold of the records office of the town you were born, and you can get a new one sent to you, however it will most likely cost you. You will also need a valid state issued ID.

Rihan, I made repeated crossings into and out of canada in 2004-2005 and never had a birth certificate, and they never asked for one. Even when I got detained and searched they didn't ask for one, even though he kept asking me if I was born in america (he said my voice didn't sound like I was from MA).

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Rihan, I made repeated crossings into and out of canada in 2004-2005 and never had a birth certificate, and they never asked for one. Even when I got detained and searched they didn't ask for one, even though he kept asking me if I was born in america (he said my voice didn't sound like I was from MA).[/QUOTE]

I took a trip to Ontario last summer, crossed the border 3 times, everytime they asked for my birth certificate. It all depends on the agent, however if your going to drive all the way up there for a trip, would you risk not having it with you and having to turn back cause they won't let you through without it?

However, yes, to get back to the U.S. all you need is a drivers license.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Rihan, I made repeated crossings into and out of canada in 2004-2005 and never had a birth certificate, and they never asked for one. Even when I got detained and searched they didn't ask for one, even though he kept asking me if I was born in america (he said my voice didn't sound like I was from MA).[/QUOTE]

See what happens when you're a liberal defeatist traitor?

Yeah, I hope you don't have some 18 year old friends going, they might be disappointed. Though they card for shit in Canadian clubs, from my experience (Windsor and Niagara).

I always bring my birth certificate with me, but I don't believe I have ever been asked for it. Driver's license tends to suffice; usually they just look at it to make sure it's valid, ask you where you're going and for what, and on you go.

On the American side they are a bit more strict, but it's not a big deal. Just don't tell them you were drinking (especially if you're not spending the night in Canada), or you'll probably find a cop on your ass pretty quick to check things out.

[quote name='Rihan']Need to correct you on a couple things there. For starters, drinking age is 19, not 18. Also, if you plan on drinking and driving you better have a damn good lawyer, cause Canda is extremely strict with traffic laws. You will land yourself in jail before you have a chance to leave the parking lot.

As for getting into the country, unless you find an extremely lax border patrol agent, which is basicly non-existant after 9/11 (fucking over-reacting U.S. government), you WILL need an ORIGINAL birth certificate. Copies will NOT work. What you can do is get ahold of the records office of the town you were born, and you can get a new one sent to you, however it will most likely cost you. You will also need a valid state issued ID.[/QUOTE]

The drinking age depends on the province your in. Some are 19 some are 18. If he's going to Manitoba its one of the 3 that's minimum drinking age is 18, the others are Alberta and Quebec.

Edit-Looking at Wikipedia, apparently, in private settings, most US states don't specifically ban minors from consuming alcohol. Guess I never realized that.

a little advice about the predrinking club thing. ive been going to bars for several years now with my chums, and i find that when we "predrink" i often spend more money at the bar than i would if i were sober. reason being, i get all drunk at the bar, you feel generous buy a round for some friends or a pretty lady, a few hours a later 60 dollars gone! or more! so, just be careful with that, thats all im sayin.

[quote name='Rihan']I took a trip to Ontario last summer, crossed the border 3 times, everytime they asked for my birth certificate. It all depends on the agent, however if your going to drive all the way up there for a trip, would you risk not having it with you and having to turn back cause they won't let you through without it?

However, yes, to get back to the U.S. all you need is a drivers license.[/quote]

Well I did make 3 trips (2 for vacation with a friend, 1 to look for apartments) before getting a student visa.

But from my experience it's not a risk. It's simply extra, unrequired, info. Even the research I did in 2003 (first time I went by car after 9/11) said it was optional.

Yeah, I hope you don't have some 18 year old friends going, they might be disappointed. Though they card for shit in Canadian clubs, from my experience (Windsor and Niagara).

Chains, clubs etc. all ask for ID. But I knew a kid in one of my classes who used her sisters expired ID (looked almost nothing like her) and she never got rejected according to her. Considering that non-chain restaurants almost never ID, I think they're just going through the motions.

Also, don't drink and drive in canada. It's not uncommon for someone to get charged for drunk driving after 1 beer, even though they feel sober.

I've been to Canada multiple times and I've never needed to present my ID or birth certificate at the border.

Also, I have been asked if I want to declare anything or if I have any illegal substances, weapons, or alcohol. So you may want to get ready for that line of questioning.

[quote name='Maklershed']I've been to Canada multiple times and I've never needed to present my ID or birth certificate at the border.

Also, I have been asked if I want to declare anything or if I have any illegal substances, weapons, or alcohol. So you may want to get ready for that line of questioning.[/quote]

They did that to me during my many jaunts into Ciudad Juarez in Mexico from Texas. I always thought it was dumb. If I had any illegal substances, weapons, or open alcohol in a vehicle, why would I declare it? If I don't give them any reason to search me, I don't feel the need to offer any info.

Walking back from Niagara Falls, CAN to NF, NY you need 50 cents and a drivers license. By car it's like $5.

[quote name='Rihan']Need to correct you on a couple things there. For starters, drinking age is 19, not 18. Also, if you plan on drinking and driving you better have a damn good lawyer, cause Canda is extremely strict with traffic laws. You will land yourself in jail before you have a chance to leave the parking lot.

As for getting into the country, unless you find an extremely lax border patrol agent, which is basicly non-existant after 9/11 (fucking over-reacting U.S. government), you WILL need an ORIGINAL birth certificate. Copies will NOT work. What you can do is get ahold of the records office of the town you were born, and you can get a new one sent to you, however it will most likely cost you. You will also need a valid state issued ID.[/QUOTE]

Not in Manitoba, Alberta, or Quebec.

http://www.ccsa.ca/CCSA/EN/Topics/Legislation/LegalDrinkingAgeByProvCan.htm

[quote name='MadChedar0']Walking back from Niagara Falls, CAN to NF, NY you need 50 cents and a drivers license. By car it's like $5.[/QUOTE]
I was curious how it worked for pedestrians. I'm assuming all the commuters between those two cities walk if possible.

In my experience I've never even needed my driver's license. However, you are expected to have both license and birth certificate.. and being a bunch of 19 year olds.. I'd take them both (being that a group of young kids is much more likely to raise suspicion)

It won't be too bad, I'd imagine. Bring all the ID you have, even a passport.

Just answer the questions they ask, no small talk. Also, if you want to drink cheaper, go to a pub or bar first and afterwards go to the club.

Also, be prepared to see numerous good-looking Canadian girls. :d

[quote name='Mike23']Also, be prepared to see numerous good-looking Canadian girls. :d[/QUOTE]

Wait... I spend an awful lot of time in Windsor and some time in Niagara... and the few good-looking Canadian women I've seen turned out to be visiting from another country. Where do the hot Canadian's hide?

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Wait... I spend an awful lot of time in Windsor and some time in Niagara... and the few good-looking Canadian women I've seen turned out to be visiting from another country. Where do the hot Canadian's hide?[/quote]
My guess is as far from Mike23 as possible. :D

I know it's only 18 in Manitoba. My friends buddy owns the Manitoba Moose, or something, so we miight also got skate around in the arena or something like that.

Numerous people from around here have driven up there when we turned 18...Actually, I'm 19 anyway.

Well, what's the cheapest way to get a birth certificate? I looked online and some sites charge like $25-50. I know you can get it cheaper than that. I don't think it's realistic to try and order it and get it here in 9 days though... that's not much turn-around time for using snail mail.

Thoughts.

i'm an american in school in vancouver, bc. i don't currently have a passport, but here's what i can tell you from my experiences. keep in mind that enforcement changes from province to province, so it may not apply, but there is a possibilty it could.

i arrived by plane and at the airport they do in fact check both picture i.d. and birth certificate if you do not have a passport. due to various circumstances i could not get my student permit at the airport, so i later had to rent a car and drive to the border to obtain it. my experience at the border again required both a picture i.d and a birth certificate, in addition to paperwork confirming my enrollment in school and financial info. since i was applying for a student permit they may have been more careful in wanting the birth certificate, but be prepared to be turned away if they ask for it and you don't have it. since 9-11 they have gotten more paranoid about freely crossing the border.

another thing to keep in mind is that bars here require 2 forms of i.d. it is rarely enforced (maybe because i'm 24...i've only been carded like twice living here since june), but again it could be enforced at will. i almost got prevented from entering a bar last weekend, but fortunately i found my social security card. that was the first time i've been asked for 2 forms personally, but i remember several months back my roommate had to run home and get her passport before this place would let her in and serve her. the second i.d. only needs to have your name and signature, no picture required.

i don't make the rules or enforce them, but these are my experiences. hope it helps.

I know this is going to sound moronic...but... would a credit card count as a form of "ID?" It has your name printed on it, and then it has your signature on the back.

I know it's not really identifying you, but it does fill the bill in to what needs to be accomplished.

I lost my social security card in my old wallet, and that birth certificate I don't have. I'm gonna have to figure out something fast.

What's the quickest and cheapest way to get a new birth certificate or possibly something that will work just as well?

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Wait... I spend an awful lot of time in Windsor and some time in Niagara... and the few good-looking Canadian women I've seen turned out to be visiting from another country. Where do the hot Canadian's hide?[/quote]

In America.

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']I know this is going to sound moronic...but... would a credit card count as a form of "ID?" It has your name printed on it, and then it has your signature on the back.[/QUOTE]
that might be acceptable at bars for the second i.d. never thought about it, i just figured it was supposed to be something official, like gov't issued or school i.d.

There's toronto, but it's over 50% visible minority and 50% non canadians (then there's the tourists). I tended to focus on minorities, less on the european ones.

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']I know this is going to sound moronic...but... would a credit card count as a form of "ID?" It has your name printed on it, and then it has your signature on the back.

I know it's not really identifying you, but it does fill the bill in to what needs to be accomplished.
[/quote]

No, you need a picture ID. Practically any age related thing anywhere requires a picture ID, otherwise they can't tell if its your card. If your state gives you an under 21 ID that will work as long as you're not in any really strict or government run liquor store (ie. LCBO in ontario). If you're in one of those it's 50/50 whether they will accept it, since there's no picture of it in their book.

I lost my social security card in my old wallet, and that birth certificate I don't have. I'm gonna have to figure out something fast.

What's the quickest and cheapest way to get a new birth certificate or possibly something that will work just as well?

You won't need it, even if they did ask for some reason it's not necessary, at least not yet. But the town hall where you were born has it. If you live near there then go down, if not you're gonna have to call them up.

[quote name='Maklershed']
Also, I have been asked if I want to declare anything or if I have any illegal substances, weapons, or alcohol. So you may want to get ready for that line of questioning.[/QUOTE]

Why yes good sir, I just went to another country to break there laws and Americas at that. So when I got to the border I could tell you that in my trunk. I have 40 boxes of cuban cigars, 8 kilos of coke, and 7 illegal aliens.

If you do admit to that would they just let you go? Would they be like "damn thats a party if I've ever heard of one. Have a nice day".

[quote name='Graystone']Why yes good sir, I just went to another country to break there laws and Americas at that. So when I got to the border I could tell you that in my trunk. I have 40 boxes of cuban cigars, 8 kilos of coke, and 7 illegal aliens.

If you do admit to that would they just let you go? Would they be like "damn thats a party if I've ever heard of one. Have a nice day".[/QUOTE]
yeah...go for it and see how much fun a day with customs can be.

i was harassed by u.s. customs when i just needed to do a 'flagpole' at the border (where you leave the country and reenter it on the spot) when i had to get my student permit. i gave them no reason to be suspicious, was polite, had all my paperwork ready, and answered all questions and they still gave me a hard time. a lot of these guys, especially the u.s. ones, are dicks.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']No, you need a picture ID. Practically any age related thing anywhere requires a picture ID, otherwise they can't tell if its your card. If your state gives you an under 21 ID that will work as long as you're not in any really strict or government run liquor store (ie. LCBO in ontario). If you're in one of those it's 50/50 whether they will accept it, since there's no picture of it in their book.[/QUOTE]

No, no, no! Earlier in the topic he said that you need a second form of ID, and he said that the second form didn't need to have your picture... just your name and your signature.

So I was wondering if my credit card would cover as my "secondary" ID that one of the posters advised me to carry around.

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']
Well, what's the cheapest way to get a birth certificate? I looked online and some sites charge like $25-50. I know you can get it cheaper than that. I don't think it's realistic to try and order it and get it here in 9 days though... that's not much turn-around time for using snail mail. [/QUOTE]

I don't know if i would go that route....the easiest way is just get ahold of the clerks office in the county you were born in and they should be able to take care of you. Some charge, some don't.

bread's done
Back