Epic Mickey - A steampunk/twisted take on Disney coming to Wii

Kaijufan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Warren Spector, producer of the Wing Commander games, some of the Ultima games, and Deus Ex is currently worked on a game currently only known as Epic Mickey. A little bit of info on this game was posted about half a year back, including a rumor that Mario would be in the game and today some pieces of concept art have appeared on the Internet.

Kotaku has at least some of the concept art posted, including enemies, environments and at the bottom of the page a sea based invasion.

Looks like an interesting take on the Disney universe. Warren Spector has a pretty good track record, I have really high hopes for this game.

That looks incredible. I'm kinda surprised Disney is letting the license get used like this...but then...Kingdom Hearts might have opened that gate.

That does look neat! And one of the vehicles is described as:

"A floating Epcot Center dreadnaught"

LOL

And for some reason, when I hear the title of "Epic Mickey" I get an image in my mind of a pissed off Mickey Mouse taking a wooden paddle to naughty kids' rears for misbehavior in his park.

[quote name='utopianmachine']That looks incredible. I'm kinda surprised Disney is letting the license get used like this...but then...Kingdom Hearts might have opened that gate.[/QUOTE]

Have you seen some of the Mickey Mouse vinyls they've been licensing? The Kozik stuff is pretty out there for officially licensed stuff.

117848873_441bec5937.jpg

dark disney is a vastly untapped mine
on the subject of steampunk, I would love a transformers steampunk vision, independent of the cartoon/movie awfulness

CVG found a little bit more tentative information about this game; comparisons to Okami are possible:
http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=220427

We've since been told that it's a Wii-exclusive where you paint your way through levels using the Wii Remote. This 'painting your way' involves you drawing, etching and erasing whole or parts of levels as you go. Capcom's Okami immediately springs to mind but we've not got enough info to go on to make any kind of informed judgement.

As for the story, we've also been told that it'll be based around very old and/or forgotten Disney characters who are out to get their revenge on Mickey, presumably because they're jealous of all his fame and fortune. We Googled 'early Disney characters' and found that Oswald the Lucky Rabbit returned a lot of hits. A bit before even CVG's time all that though.

Considering my vast dislike for most Final Fantasy characters, I'd take this over Kingdom Hearts game any day. Also, Warren Spector > Tetsuya Nomura.

I'm kinda disappointed they didn't just call it "Steampunk Willie," though.

I like that story idea, having the forgotten Disney characters rise up against Mickey makes sense and is a cool way to bring back old Disney characters. The painting part of levels sounds like it could be interesting.

[quote name='trq']
I'm kinda disappointed they didn't just call it "Steampunk Willie," though.[/QUOTE]
Well Epic Mickey is only the working title, it will almost certainly change before it comes out.

Thanks for linking that cartoon, I didn't get to watch it in theaters, and disney didn't put it on dvd. Plus I thought it was called something else so that's probably why I never found it. I really liked that video. Am I the only person that would pay 5-6$ for a wii ware game that was based on that toon?
Anyway, I will probably play this game. I love KH, and any alternate story telling on disney characters.

I'm curious to see how this is going to translate to the Wii. The concept art looks great, but so far, that's all we've really seen.

[quote name='trq']Considering my vast dislike for most Final Fantasy characters, I'd take this over Kingdom Hearts game any day. Also, Warren Spector > Tetsuya Nomura.

I'm kinda disappointed they didn't just call it "Steampunk Willie," though.[/QUOTE]

If you didn't play Kingdom Hearts, you missed out on one hell of a game. Especially if you're a Disney fan. The Final Fantasy elements were really not that big of a deal.

Wow,

This could be huge.

Seriously this would be a serious contender for day 1 regardless of system it released on.

Cant wait to see more.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Captain Wrong']Have you seen some of the Mickey Mouse vinyls they've been licensing? The Kozik stuff is pretty out there for officially licensed stuff.

117848873_441bec5937.jpg
[/QUOTE]

where is this from? I assume Kid Robot made this? I saw the same thing, but in all red color, made in ceramic, in their NYC store window... no plastic/fully colored version for sale in the store.

I think everyone has it all wrong. After looking at the pictures I think its concept art for their new Asian Disney theme park. With all the animatronic character, the large polluted land and oceans and island castles secluded from the impovershed people around them. Just smells of summer vacation! I mean that giant boat ride with the portable epcot center alone would be worth the admission!

[quote name='DestroVega']where is this from? I assume Kid Robot made this? I saw the same thing, but in all red color, made in ceramic, in their NYC store window... no plastic/fully colored version for sale in the store.[/QUOTE]
That's the Runaway Brain Mickey made by Medicom, who has been making Vinyl Collectable Disney characters for years now. They've also released a black and white version and a jumbo-sized one. I have the original version as well as their Roen Two-Gun Mickey in my figure collection; AFAIK, both are now out of print.

There are other Runaway Brain Mickeys made by a different company (I don't remember who, but I don't think it's Kid Robot) and in a different pose. They're also numbered and more expensive.

You guys, I wanted to chime in.

Got my copy of Game informer over the weekend (October issue).

It claims that in November something epic will be shown on their cover, with a character we just may know... there is a somewhat cryptic picture of the new cover and it looks as if its ink blots... however its very obvious that its Mickey...

I am fairly certain we will hear more about this game next month or in 2-3 weeks when the November issue starts showing up.

I can get a scan or picture of the page if any of you want to see it. I don't think I am reading into things here.

Also in the notes to the editor section (or whatever its called). They hilighted a reader complaint letter, that reads over the last x copies there have not been many wii games gracing the cover and this reader is apparently upset with this. In their reply they state that while that may be true, but keep your eyes peeled as a big Wii exclusive cover will be showing up in the next couple of months.. ( I am paraphrasing here).

awesome, I know everyone is into zombies, and vampires, and werewolves
I'd like to see steampunk get it's spot in that flavor rotation

[quote name='Snake2715']I can get a scan or picture of the page if any of you want to see it. I don't think I am reading into things here.[/QUOTE]

If you could do that, I'd appreciate it. Believe it or not, I don't have an Edge card or the magazine - I haven't since they stopped charging $5 for it. I think my last Edge card still has the EB Games logo on it. :lol:

Will do, I searched and my wife threw out my copy.... I have EGM's from 4 years ago and this one is trashed.. however its at all ebgames and gamestops so I will stop in and get a cell phone picture.

GameInformer has put up a picture of the cover of their next issue with an amazing piece of Epic Mickey artwork, along with confirming that it's a Wii exclusive. It says subscribers should be getting their issues around October 12 so expect more info then. Additionally it says the GameInformer website will have even more on Epic Mickey over the next few weeks.
The art looks a bit different then the leaked concept art but it looks really good. Also the Haunted Mansion is part of the artwork which is very exciting for me since it's my favorite Disney World ride.

[quote name='Kaijufan']GameInformer has put up a picture of the cover of their next issue with an amazing piece of Epic Mickey artwork, along with confirming that it's a Wii exclusive. It says subscribers should be getting their issues around October 12 so expect more info then. Additionally it says the GameInformer website will have even more on Epic Mickey over the next few weeks.
The art looks a bit different then the leaked concept art but it looks really good. Also the Haunted Mansion is part of the artwork which is very exciting for me since it's my favorite Disney World ride.[/QUOTE]

Why, oh why does this have to be Wii exclusive...:cry:

[quote name='life.exe']Why, oh why does this have to be Wii exclusive...:cry:[/QUOTE]

Its a kids console, only kids like Mickey and Mario.

[quote name='Snake2715']Its a kids console, only kids like Mickey and Mario.[/QUOTE]

I have to say, I've never seen a more pathetic group of gamer in history than Wii trolls.

Do cry more.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']I have to say, I've never seen a more pathetic group of gamer in history than Wii trolls.

Do cry more.[/QUOTE]

I hope you got my sarcasm.

[quote name='Snake2715']I hope you got my sarcasm.[/QUOTE]

I did not. I fail.

Save my post for someone else then! :lol:

Eurogamer posted some story info. Looks like Oswald the Lucky Rabbit is the mastermind behind this revenge plot (You can see Oswald peering around a gate in the GI cover) and Phantom Blot is spreading the ink:
A source close to Disney has let slip the first details of Warren Spector's new Wii game, Epic Mickey, to Eurogamer.

The choice of platform, incidentally, boils down to Mickey's tools - paintbrushes, erasers, thinner, pencils and other artist tools - being mapped to Wii remote gestures.

But let's rewind a bit.

Epic Mickey is a tale about the 'forgotten' Disney stars: the rides, the characters, the lesser-known cartoons. When nobody any longer cares, they are cast into a dark void; a forgotten world of broken machines and bitter personalities - a bit like Sid's bedroom in Toy Story, but without the friendly furnishings.

This forgotten world is run by Oswald the Rabbit. He was Disney's first creation, made long before Mickey Mouse, and his jealousy of the newcomer has fermented for years. Now, finally, Oswald is ready for revenge.

He unleashes The Phantom Blot to wipe out Mickey and his cartoon world. The Blot pollutes the Disney universe with sticky black ink that makes colours run and fade (as seen on the Game Informer cover), so it's up to Mickey to restore peace and order. And this is where his tools come in.

Mickey has to draw and scribble his way through levels, mending broken bridges by applying the right colour paint or peering through walls after applying thinner. He can even clear rubble from his path by erasing parts of the world.

Our source told us Epic Mickey is a game about thinking and artwork - laterally considering your environment in order to overcome puzzles.

On top of that is a healthy dose of exploration, plus Mickey will be getting "his first makeover in years". "That's why no one's seen his face yet," our source explained, "But he's far more retro than you've seen him for years."

[quote name='Snake2715']Its a kids console, only kids like Mickey and Mario.[/QUOTE]

I know you were kidding, but the sad thing is you're still right. If this game came out for the 360 and PS3, I guarantee you that no matter how good it was, most of the "hardcore" gamers would pass it up because of the Disney characters. Kingdom Hearts was successful, but I've always thought that was mostly due to the Square and Final Fantasy links, rather than the Disney parts of the game.

They forget, of course, that Mickey's been in good games before (Mickey Mania was one of my favorites, and Castle of Illusion was fantastic), and that most of Disney's games from the 8-bit and 16-bit eras were amazing, some of the best licensed titles the systems saw. Capcom's Disney Afternoon games (Ducktales, Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck) and Sega's Aladdin title still hold up today, although we'll probably never see them rereleased because of licensing issues.

[quote name='Cao Cao']Eurogamer posted some story info. Looks like Oswald the Lucky Rabbit is the mastermind behind this revenge plot (You can see Oswald peering around a gate in the GI cover) and Phantom Blot is spreading the ink:[/QUOTE]

Wow. They're going seriously old-school with this, and I love it. :D

The short version of the Oswald story is that Oswald was Walt Disney's first character and first success, but he didn't own the rights to the character. Eventually, Disney began butting heads with the studio. They tried to use Oswald as a means to force him to agree to budget cuts; he didn't agree to it, left, and Mickey Mouse was born from the ashes.

I'm guessing that most people who buy the game won't even recognize Oswald. His popularity waned and he vanished after the 1930s. Disney got the rights to the character back in 2006, but since then he's been used on some merchandise but not much else. If nothing else, this is one hell of a way to reintroduce him.

Oswald and Mickey:
oswald-vs-mickey.jpg

The Phantom Blot and Mickey:
42537_90467_1.jpg

I'm curious about the Mickey redesign. Usually, retro Mickey looks like he does in the Oswald picture, and that style would fit here since Oswald and the Blot are both characters from the 1930s. It sounds like that might not be what we get here, though.

I like the description of the gameplay, but I still want to see how the game's going to look and play before I commit to spending $50 for it. All I know is that Warren Spector has a stellar track record, and I'm hoping that it continues here.

It's some concept art and some bullet points. No real screen shots or release date. Also, it's on the Wii, so take the concept art with a MASSIVE grain of salt.

[quote name='evanft']Also, it's on the Wii, so take the concept art with a MASSIVE grain of salt.[/QUOTE]

No one expects games to look like their promo art, dude.

Why are people calling this "steampunk"?

The more popular it gets, the more that term has been bastardized from it's original meaning.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Why are people calling this "steampunk"?

The more popular it gets, the more that term has been bastardized from it's original meaning.[/QUOTE]

Yeah and what do they mean by twisted? This is on a Wii and is Disney. Is not like you get to kill Mickey and Minnie and shove a dynamite up the... :hot:

Giant Bomb on Epic Mickey: Don't read unless you want to laugh/be disgusted (depending on what kind of person you are)
The worst actual name for a product ever. "That just sounds like a code name. Like a drink you'd get at a bar, or like a sex move that you'd never want to preform on a girlfriend."
"Well I knew that, you know, she had been fooling around on me, so I gave her the epic mickey, and uh, (she couldn't walk for a week) it was pretty clear at that point that I knew."
"It's named after the sound that the girl makes."
"Do not define the Epic Mickey. That is disgusting."

I neither laughed or was disgusted. Sorry.

I wasn't under the impression that "Epic Mickey" was locked-in as the actual title. Has there been a statement on this that I have missed?

bread's done
Back