eShop on Wii, Wii U, & 3DS

shadylane

CAGiversary!
Feedback
40 (100%)
I currently own a Nintendo Wii and a 3DS, but haven't bought any content in the Nintendo EShop. The reason I haven't bought anything is because I don't quite understand the digital rights that I'm entitled to. As I begin to think about going all digital I have a few questions for my fellow CAGers

1. If I buy a game from the Nintendo eShop on my:

Wii

Wii U

3DS

purchases tied to console or account?

2. If it's tied to the console should I wait to buy all my purchases on a Wii U?

3. What happens of the console dies?

4. I don't want to invest a shit ton of money into digital games on my nintendo devices for nintendo to then come around and make me repurchase everything all over again. Can someone explain how to avoid this scenario?

shadylane said:
I currently own a Nintendo Wii and a 3DS, but haven't bought any content in the Nintendo EShop. The reason I haven't bought anything is because I don't quite understand the digital rights that I'm entitled to. As I begin to think about going all digital I have a few questions for my fellow CAGers

1. If I buy a game from the Nintendo eShop on my:
Wii
Wii U
3DS

purchases tied to console or account?
Wii is tied to your console. Wii U is currently tied to your console but it sounds like it will be switched to account-based in the future. No idea for the 3DS.

2. If it's tied to the console should I wait to buy all my purchases on a Wii U?
No because you can transfer all of your data and ownership rights to the Wii U with the transfer app. It takes quite a while but it works perfectly. I did this last fall with my launch Wii and it only left Netflix/Hulu+ data behind (which is pointless to transfer since they have their own superior Wii U apps). There's no reason hold off on purchasing any WiiWare/VC games since it'll all transfer over.

3. What happens of the console dies?
For the Wii, Nintendo can theoretically transfer all of your data over to a refurb unit for a service fee. I don't know how much it costs/if it's 100% reliable, but it is possible for Nintendo to recover all of your data from your dead console. I'd assume the same would be true of the Wii U and 3DS but I don't know for sure.

4. I don't want to invest a shit ton of money into digital games on my nintendo devices for nintendo to then come around and make me repurchase everything all over again. Can someone explain how to avoid this scenario?
Like I said earlier, I think that the 3DS and Wii U eShops will be tied together within the next year or so, and with that possibly account-based download rights. Digital games purchased on the Wii will always have a repurchase risk, but like I detailed above there are multiple ways to get around it, with the be-all-end-all being Nintendo Support. As long as you don't plan on selling/trading your personal consoles anytime soon, you'll be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Until the accounts merge, 3DS downloads are tied to the system. So, if you buy Super Mario Bros. on the Wii or WiiU, the purchase does not transfer over to the 3DS.

I would use wii shop more if it allowed me to transfer to the 3ds!! I understand why they don't allow it though but I really wish it did

bread's done
Back