ESPN NHL 2k5 Release date

vanlandw

CAGiversary!
I know this may sound like a noob question but I would like to hear what you guys have to say. I've been searching every gaming site and everybody lists something different for the release of this game. I've seen dates ranging from 8/29 to 9/3. Do you guys have any idea when best buy may have this game in stock. I can use the Madden Live $5 off coupon and I have to make far trip to my closest best buy. I plan on calling BB tomorrow morning but any heads up from you guys would rule. Thanks in advanced for reading this. jk :p

that is what i'm hoping....i'm wondering if anybody pre-ordered and knew if anybody was getting them in...i will call tomorrow at BB and pray they have it..thanks for the heads up guys!

Update....i checked www.espnvideogames.com and they say their release date is Sept 1....so it maybe YMMV on the release of instore pickup of the game..I hope the people who preordered still get the game tomorrow though...i will shop around tomorrow and hope I find it.

It shipped today. EB and Gamestop should have it tomorrow. Best Buy told me Wednesday so you GGC folks need to hold off a day or two.

A guy on my XBOX Live friends list name RichyDevilsFan was shown playing the game tonight. So some stores may have had it in early.

Yeah, I think Best Buy usually gets games later....at least mine always seem to. I would say Wed or Thursday they would have it. I'm sure GameStop and EB would probably have it today. I have a $5off BB coupon...so I'll just wait a day or two.

Has anybody picked up the game yet? I was debating making a trip to BB at least to see even though I'm pretty sure you guys are right and BB isn't going to get it till wends.

I checked many stores in GR incuding BB CC Gamestop, target and a few others and could not find a single copy. I"m assuming tomorrow will be the day

wow...now that is terribly embarrassing....i was in a rush when i did that and the freaking covers look so similar!

Yeah...i didn't check any of the Local EB's in my area..they may have had it...but Gamestop didn't....trying again tomorrow morning.

Got mine at Gamecrazy, they seem to get everything the day after shipment days which is VERY good. The gameitself is quite good, improves on everything from last year presentation and playwise except speed. It seems the game is actually slower then last years at top game speed (?) and the goalies are stonewalls but are prone to the "right, left, right shoot left" type of shots and hard one timers much like last year. The game is not perfect but for $19.99 (or less) it is a must have and probably the best hockey game I have ever played outside of the old SNES and Genesis EA hockey games.

The damn air hockey game in the Skybox owns me. I've never seen one person score on their own goal so many times. :(

Decent game. Not as good as NFL 2k5 by comparison, but still probably the best hockey game available, and can't beat the price. Now just waiting for NBA 2k5, which is the one I'm most looking forward to.

Big anal-retentive gripe - the "use your own music" thing is not as good as NFL 2k5's. You can't pick what part of the song you want to play. The interface is a little bit confusing as well, but actually the "confusing" part of it is nice since you can assign specific music to each arena.

i havent seen any reviews, is it any good?

actually, i mean to say is it more "sim" or arcade style. im looking for something i can just pick up and play as opposed to having to learn a new sport.

WWW.teamxbox.com gave it a high review as well as EMG mag

i'm going to check BB this morning after I get ready for work..i'm not sure if they are going to have it though...wish me luck :p

[quote name='doubledown']Anyone think BB will have it today (WED) for release? I wanted to go at lunch[/quote]

i stopped by there yesterday to get a cord to hook up the xbox live, and the employee said they would have it thursday. not that it really means much.

I just came from my BB in State College, PA and they had lots of copies of it. Don't know if it is just mine. Picked it up using the $5 live coupon.

Well, one of the Best Buy's here in MI did not have it yet....who knows, maybe I'll stop at another on teh way home or just wait till tomorrow.

I picked up the game this morning at BB $14.99 w/GGC. I played it and so far i like it a lot. Pretty hard to score, but once you get the hang out it its cool. I was trying to fight a guy but nobody would fight me.

[quote name='Rig']Got it from EB today. I also saved up ten Coke codes to get my $10 rebate.[/quote]

Really? I thought you had to wait till November to use it? Although, I have an ONLINE code, so I may be screwed for it.

the BB in culver city, california had it on tuesday afternoon, the other area stores said they would get it today (wednesday)

i got my copy today in Grand Rapids MI at the grandville Best Buy for $15.89 after using the madden $5 of coupon....great deal IMO...brb work

[quote name='doubledown'][quote name='Rig']Got it from EB today. I also saved up ten Coke codes to get my $10 rebate.[/quote]

Really? I thought you had to wait till November to use it? Although, I have an ONLINE code, so I may be screwed for it.[/quote]

The online code has blackout dates. The $10 certificate takes "6 to 8 weeks" to arrive.

[quote name='ElwoodCuse'][quote name='doubledown'][quote name='Rig']Got it from EB today. I also saved up ten Coke codes to get my $10 rebate.[/quote]

Really? I thought you had to wait till November to use it? Although, I have an ONLINE code, so I may be screwed for it.[/quote]

The online code has blackout dates. The $10 certificate takes "6 to 8 weeks" to arrive.[/quote]

Yeah, my roomate and myself are saving the codes. He had 10 caps awhile ago and it took about 4 weeks for the coupon to reach him. I have 7 caps and I'm thinking about using the coupon on NBA 2k5

Heads up to anyone attempting to use the $5 off BB magazine coupon with NHL:

Today I picked up ESPN NHL 2k5 at Best Buy. They had a big stack of those "Top Games of 2004" coupon magazines near the games. I gave the checkout girl the $5 off coupon and it wouldnt scan correctly for use with ESPN NHL 2K5. She then told me that the coupon was for $5 off Xbox Live Starter Kit Software. I told her she was wrong and insisted that the coupon says "$5 off any xbox live software OR xbox live starter kit". She looked frustrated with me and called the manager over. He read the coupon and told her to manually deduct $5 from my total and she had to fill out some sort of form at the cash register.
Anyway, just thought I would let everyone know. Maybe you should just use the GGC. It might save some trouble.

Cabo..the same thing happened to me..what a bunch of buttholes.....but yeah..had to wait like 10 mins for a manager and they manualy did the $5 bucks off....all worth it though :p

I'm glad to know that NHL 2K5 is already out at BB, if there are copies at my local store I'll definitely be picking one up (with the GGC and coupon, of course).

[quote name='CaboWabo']Heads up to anyone attempting to use the $5 off BB magazine coupon with NHL:

Today I picked up ESPN NHL 2k5 at Best Buy. They had a big stack of those "Top Games of 2004" coupon magazines near the games. I gave the checkout girl the $5 off coupon and it wouldnt scan correctly for use with ESPN NHL 2K5. She then told me that the coupon was for $5 off Xbox Live Starter Kit Software. I told her she was wrong and insisted that the coupon says "$5 off any xbox live software OR xbox live starter kit". She looked frustrated with me and called the manager over. He read the coupon and told her to manually deduct $5 from my total and she had to fill out some sort of form at the cash register.
Anyway, just thought I would let everyone know. Maybe you should just use the GGC. It might save some trouble.[/quote]

I had the same problem when I picked up NFL 2K5. My problem was not with the regular people, my BB dumbass was a manager. The guy that worked in the games section was like, yeah, that should be software, but you'll need manager approval to get it manually taken off. My manager discussion went like this:

BB: "It's for Xbox Live SOFTWARE, not games."

Me: "It's not a PC, there's no 'software' to install. Software is something that runs on hardware. On an Xbox, that software is a game."

BB: "See, there's starter kits here."

Me: "Indeed. Tell me where it says 'software' on there. It is a mic, a GAME, and a subscription card. If that counts as software, so does the GAME I have in my hand."

BB: "I think it means starter kit."

Me: "It says Starter Kit or XBL SOFTWARE. The key word there is OR. A separation between Starter Kit, and Software."

BB: "So what do you want, $5 off this game?"

Me: "Yes."

BB: "Fine, tell the cashier *** said it was ok."

This exchange took 20 minutes.

Do you guys still put money on the gift card when you use the GGC? I went into BB today and opened up the GGC, took out the coupon, went up to the register, used it for ESPN NHL 2K5, the dude asked me if he could throw away the cd holder. He tossed it I left with the gift card in my back pocket without putting any money on it.

I bought it last night without any problems. The cashier just manually entered the coupon and then rang up the game. NO problem... Haven't played much yet but its really good..

bread's done
Back