ESRB Ratings in the Real World

[quote name='jollydwarf']That kicks Penny Arcade's ass up and down the Internet. Kudos. I know I'm one of the few who find them completely unfunny and grotesquely overrated, I know you guys aren't trying to compete with them, and that they had to be on their 'best behavior' for the (pointless) ESRB campaign, but this still trumps pretty much every one of their strips I've ever seen. [/QUOTE]

Guess you haven't seen many then. Either that, or you're one of those people who starts hating a band once five others have heard of them.

Either way, amusing...not my type of humor, but I appreciate the length you guys (read: Cheapy, WSB, et al.) go to to provide us with entertainment!

[quote name='Death2Sanity']Guess you haven't seen many then. Either that, or you're one of those people who starts hating a band once five others have heard of them.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I've seen enough. Just like five minutes of Rush Limbaugh is enough for me to know that I never need to hear him again. And your even suggesting that I'm 'Super Indie Band' guy (please, can you get more insulting?) just shows how incredibly far off you guys are in criticizing my criticism.

Every Penny Arcade I've ever seen just fizzles out with barely a punchline. I know, I know, "If you want obvious 'jokes', go read Beetle Bailey with the rest of the retirement home!" But unlike, say, Get Fuzzy, Dilbert, or The Boondocks, that intangible that makes more 'modern', edgy comic strips work is either nonexistent or really underdeveloped. And if I may make a generalization, I think that those of you who find it hee-larious are just happy to see a well-drawn comic that really knows your games.

Hey, making a genuinely funny comic strip is no easy task. You've got three or four panels and no sound or animation at your disposal. And just read a college newspaper or one of the free 'weeklies' that you can find in your local record or bookstores to see just how impossibly bad they can get. But at the end of the day, I guess it's just indicative of how weak online gaming-oriented comic strips are collectively that this one is the de facto superlative.

I think PA is amusing but not like LOL type of funny. Its more witty/clever in my opinion. But then I guess I don't have a similar personality like the main character guys in the strip.

I think that those of you who find it hee-larious are just happy to see a well-drawn comic that really knows your games.

So are we including current company as well?
Ergo: This guy knows what ratings mean to average joes like you and me! Hurr.

Which is not to say the joke wouldn't work on its own. But coming on the tail end of Penny Arcade's efforts makes this look like the online equivalent of Scary Movie. God. We've seen this already, Wayans, just stop making movies already.

[quote name='brianmoy']I think PA is amusing but not like LOL type of funny. Its more witty/clever in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back