Eternal Darkness insanity effect list

A

Apossum

Okay, just started this game and I thought it would be fun to list the insanity effects in the game. Feel free to contribute! I'll add them as I get further. (only played the 1st 3 hours so far. best $7 i've ever spent ;-) )

--Aural hallucinations like voices, knocking, screams, footsteps
--Arms and limbs fall off and start bleeding, character dies, then instantly comes back and screams
--Alex saw herself dead in a bathtub full of blood in the mansion and screams REALLY loud.
--bleeding walls
--screen tilts back and forth

there's one that says all your saved data has been deleted on the memory card, please reset the game. (I think, been a couple years since I played it).

[quote name='scsg75']there's one that says all your saved data has been deleted on the memory card, please reset the game. (I think, been a couple years since I played it).[/QUOTE]

oh man. thanks for warning me of that. not funny at all! otoh, maybe I shouldn't read all these in advance...

Another cool one is the volume control comes up on your TV and starts going down. You think it is really your TV but it is just the game. Sweeeeet.

[quote name='Apossum']oh man. thanks for warning me of that. not funny at all! otoh, maybe I shouldn't read all these in advance...[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't. That's like me telling you the ending to Halo 2 and then you going and playing it. Don't come back to this thread until you beat the game.

I was just playing this again a couple of days ago. I've already finished it twice, now I'm just trying to finish it with the last essence. Some of the ones I remember:

-You come into a room full of monsters and a message pops up that says your controller is no longer plugged into the controller port
-Your character starts sinking into the floor like quicksand
-You character will spontaneously explode

There was at least one I remember that was character specific. I'm not going to say what it is, lest I ruin the surprise. That's all I can remember at the moment. I'll add some later if I think of any more.

[quote name='The VGM']You shouldn't. That's like me telling you the ending to Halo 2 and then you going and playing it. Don't come back to this thread until you beat the game.[/QUOTE]

wait, lemme guess, he blows up teh halo and another pops up, am i rite? ;-) j.k.

Let's see... Here's some that haven't been mentioned yet:
A bug appears to be crawling around on your TV screen. In about the time it takes to get up off of the couch to brush it off, dozens of bugs come from all sides of the TV screen. And if you hate bugs as much as my wife does, that's a guaranteed nightmare. ;)

You enter a room, and you appear to be on the ceiling.

You finish a stage, and you get a "Thanks for playing!" game over screen, along with a message along the lines of "You have succeeded, but the battle against evil rages on...", making you think that it's a lousy ending that they just tacked on. Far too many games had this sort of thing happen for real, ending without giving you any sort of closure! :D

[quote name='Zincdust']
You finish a stage, and you get a "Thanks for playing!" game over screen, along with a message along the lines of "You have succeeded, but the battle against evil rages on...", making you think that it's a lousy ending that they just tacked on. Far too many games had this sort of thing happen for real, ending without giving you any sort of closure! :D[/QUOTE]

I actually believed that one for a second. I got really mad when I exploded one time, because I thought I had to start that section over.

The "Thank you for play the Eternal Darkness Demo" got me pretty good, I actually looked at the case for a sec to make sure it wasn't a demo. The erasing memory card also got me, I was saying "WHAT THE ********!!!!!!!!!!!!" then it went back to normal. Then theres the upside down room. Getting killed in the room not being able to control your character. Theres a crap load of them, can't remember them all, after a while it got kind of old.

I hated reading about the sanity effects... and it was unavoidable as they were everywhere. But after I beat the game, I was glad that there were a ton of sanity effects which I hadn't seen before.

And there are some I still haven't seen (though I beat the game twice)... I've never even heard of the bug on the screen, that one would be awesome!:)

There's one where Alex is really tall. At first I just thought she was always like that, lol. There's another one where a new screen pops up and says something like "Eternal Darkness Sanity's Redemption" or something like that.

saw the bug one, it was okay. The bathtub one was the best so far-- made me jump and kind of talk non-sense for a few seconds :lol: I also like it when you heal your self and the top half of your body falls off.

I like it when the message on the screen comes up that says "this game is totally overrated and is average at best. Sure the ideas were good but all-in-all most of them were poorly executed. Plus, the hack, slash, heal routine gets old very fast."

I liked the game but I would only rate it an 8 or so - not the 9.7 or whatever insanity IGN gave it back in the day...

[quote name='Apossum']oh man. thanks for warning me of that. not funny at all! otoh, maybe I shouldn't read all these in advance...[/QUOTE]

Seriously what teh hell are you doing? Its worse then reading a hint book before playing the game you are watching and reading the best parts of this game...

STOP right now. NEVER come back until you are DONE..

Also i would suggest a spoiler alert. The game didnt sell terribly well and some poor soul is going to come in here and ruin the game for themselves.

The one that startled me the most was when the saved game deletion confirmation appeared. For the longest time I thought you could actually delete a saved game from within the game. I tried all button combinations to no avail until after I finished the game and read an insanity list and realized how stupid I was...

The advertisement for the sequel Sanity's Redemption was amusing too. I tried everything I could to see that ad again thinking it was real. Then I read the insanity list...

-your character shoots himself as you reload your guns
-you get the "blue screen of death"
-the game freezes and you get a message saying that something is wrong with your gamecube(then it restarts)
-you get assaulted by a bunch of 6 inch tall zombies
-your character starts flailing wildly with their weapon
-your character shoots the screen
-your body parts explode one by one

I might as well type out the official list from Nintendo strategy guide since I got some time to kill.

Sanity effects may include, but are not limited to:

-bleeding walls
-spooky ambient noises
-tilting cameras
-bizarre background music
-cryptic quotes from nonplayer characters
-random mutterings from playable characters
-loss of limbs
-loss of head
-aforementioned missing head quoting Shakespeare
-moving statues
-transforming artwork
-haunted phone calls
-unpleasant visitations by the ghost of Dr. Edward Roivas
-bugs crawling across television screen
-blood dripping from the ceiling and pooling on the floor
-transformation into a zombie
-walking on the ceiling
-phantom monsters
-missing items from the player's inventory
-loss of video signal
-loss of audio signal
-false game resets
-false Memory Card deletions
-inability to recognize the Nintendo Gamecube Controller
-rooms replete with fake shotgun ammunition
-decreasing volume
-characters sinking into the floor
-sudden and unexplained shrinkage of character
-sudden and unexplained enlargement of character
-characters shooting at the television screen
-premonitions of Maximillian Roivas locked in an asylum
-foreshadowed Alex Roivas suicides
-a condemned man hanging from the ceiling
-malfunctioning spells resulting in a nasty explosion
-items flying across the room
-bloody footsteps and or/ false system crash messages

"If you are plagued with any of the aforementioned problems, do not call technical support. Simply restore your sanity by casting a Recover Spell or using an item, if such an item is in your possession."

These are why this is one of the best games to play "under the influence" - They get you EVERY goddamn time the first time around, and are still scary every time thereafter.

I just wish I had the patience to deal with the cumbersome combat and annoying spell mixing so I could finish the game and see see the ending(s)!

The best one is when you go to use an important, life-saving item and it isn't there. The rest were obvious and a bit hokey, but that one really got me.

bread's done
Back