Eternal Sonata - it's out now 10/21/2008

Zoglog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
http://www.siliconera.com/index.php/2007/04/23/eternal-sonata-also-coming-to-the-ps3/

For those of you who don't have a 360. This wouldn't be incredibly shocking news considering the 360's struggle in japan.

However, the Blu-ray disc may make way for enough room for them to include a japanese language track w/ subs for those who prefer it.

Japanese Voice Track is in there. Horrah.
go get it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
My two most wanted 360 games are Ace Combat 6 and Eternal Sonota. If they come to PS3, forget the 360 version.

I'm still keeping my 360 since I want Blue Dragon. :)

[quote name='The Mana Knight']My two most wanted 360 games are Ace Combat 6 and Eternal Sonota. If they come to PS3, forget the 360 version.

I'm still keeping my 360 since I want Blue Dragon. :)[/quote]

Ace Combat 6 should come out a few months after the 360 version.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']We lose DMC, AC, GTA IV, ZOMG SONY IS DOOMED!!!!!

Xbox loses titles, and it isn't shocking considering the 360's failure in Japan...[/QUOTE]

wow, way to take things out of context...........

So far, the only games I am interested in tha are 360-only are: Blue Dragon, Gears of War, that other RPG Mistwalker is doing, and Eternal Sonata. Now that Sonata might be going to PS3 as well, then that makes me all the more happier as a PS3 owner.

[quote name='Zoglog']wow, way to take things out of context...........[/quote]

My point is, when PS3 loses exclusives, it';s the biggest news in the industry and everyone predicts doom for it. But when the 360 loses an exclusive, no one seems to care.

[quote name='CounterSeal']So far, the only games I am interested in tha are 360-only are: Blue Dragon, Gears of War, that other RPG Mistwalker is doing, and Eternal Sonata. Now that Sonata might be going to PS3 as well, then that makes me all the more happier as a PS3 owner.[/quote]

I am very sure i read Mistwalker was working on a ps3 game too so maybe they can make your wildest dreams come true:lol:

I really hope we get Japanese subs. I've been waiting for that ever since Blu-ray was announced for the PS3. I don't really care for it on this game, but MGS HAS TO HAVE IT

Has the omission of the Japanese language track historically really been a matter of space?

During one of the Square-Enix press conferences, a fellow from etoychest.org asked about including them, since they hadnt ever. The guy, who was a pretty high up guy, said that he hadnt ever thought of it. He didnt realize anyone wanted that.

Atlus and NIS are two of the bigger pushers for dual language options, but my experience with RPGs in general and the PS2 HDLoader tells me that space isnt the issue, unless these things take up a lot more room than I think.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']My point is, when PS3 loses exclusives, it';s the biggest news in the industry and everyone predicts doom for it. But when the 360 loses an exclusive, no one seems to care.[/QUOTE]

Well you have to remember there are some key differences.

Eternal Sonata is not an established game franchise with an established base. Reception of the game has been so far "looks ok, hope it's good" pretty much. All the titles you listed before are re-occurring fan favorite properties.

And more importantly Eternal Sonata was never named specifically as exclusive, only that it was being developed on the xbox360.

If anything it's just to show Sony used to have a larger grasp on the hot 3rd party exclusives in the past.

Now I'm hoping they announce Culdcept Saga for the PS3. I have a friend I'd love to play with that has no interest in going multi-console this gen. Since Culdcept is mainly a Japanese thing anyway, I figure it's a pretty safe bet that it will go to the PS3 at some point...but I'd like some confirmation. ;)

they should just slap in all the languages they can fit onto the disc. It's not like japan is the only place that has people that speak and understand japanese, or spanish, or chinese, or french, or whatever..you get the idea.

Am interested in having a go at Genji for the ps3 and was looking around to see which version is the most inclusive, and it looks like the EU version is the winner. Apparently it has Japanese and English languages, along with english subtitles, and the blood. Chinese/asia version of the game also has JP/EN language but with chinese and english subs, so obviously it's not a matter of space, but rather an underestimation of people's interests.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Has the omission of the Japanese language track historically really been a matter of space?

During one of the Square-Enix press conferences, a fellow from etoychest.org asked about including them, since they hadnt ever. The guy, who was a pretty high up guy, said that he hadnt ever thought of it. He didnt realize anyone wanted that.

Atlus and NIS are two of the bigger pushers for dual language options, but my experience with RPGs in general and the PS2 HDLoader tells me that space isnt the issue, unless these things take up a lot more room than I think.[/QUOTE]

I think its both. I know audio does take up a lot of space. I'm sure many games could've achieved both languages on one disc, but the demand wasn't there. I don't know why they don't offer it. It's not really anything additional, as far as I know, seeing as how the resources are right there, all they have to do is combine them.

[quote name='argyle']Now I'm hoping they announce Culdcept Saga for the PS3. I have a friend I'd love to play with that has no interest in going multi-console this gen. Since Culdcept is mainly a Japanese thing anyway, I figure it's a pretty safe bet that it will go to the PS3 at some point...but I'd like some confirmation. ;)[/QUOTE]

Definitely! I was extremely disappointed to see the sequel going to the 360. I'm actually surprised it got a sequel (seeing how unpopular the PS2 one was). I do expect it to hit the PS3 at some point.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Has the omission of the Japanese language track historically really been a matter of space?

Atlus and NIS are two of the bigger pushers for dual language options, but my experience with RPGs in general and the PS2 HDLoader tells me that space isnt the issue, unless these things take up a lot more room than I think.[/QUOTE]

Well even Atlus couldnt include dual language in Stella Deus or Digital Devil Saga since there isnt enough space. It just happen that the games NIS published are small in size. In fact the NIS games are originally on CD, and had to be on DVD for the US release with the extra vocie track. Enchanted Arms X360 only had English, but the PS3 version has english and Japanese. In the original .hack they were able to fit the japanese voice track by removing the Parody Mode, and in .hack GU they just dont have space and is English only.

For Square Enix or SCEA, putting Japanese voice track isnt a priority, but for Atlus or Namco Bandi, space is a concern.

[quote name='imascrub']they should just slap in all the languages they can fit onto the disc. It's not like japan is the only place that has people that speak and understand japanese, or spanish, or chinese, or french, or whatever..you get the idea.

Am interested in having a go at Genji for the ps3 and was looking around to see which version is the most inclusive, and it looks like the EU version is the winner. Apparently it has Japanese and English languages, along with english subtitles, and the blood. Chinese/asia version of the game also has JP/EN language but with chinese and english subs, so obviously it's not a matter of space, but rather an underestimation of people's interests.[/QUOTE]

the USA Genji 2 also included Japanese language track. In some cases it is a matter of space.

Here's Trusty Bell Battle music just for fun
http://www.xboxyde.com/news_4226_en.html

Is this still coming out? I haven't gotten the 360 version yet because I have been waiting on the PS3 version w/ the extras. Seems like there hasn't been any news on this game's release since early this year. Anyone have any new info? Should I just get the 360 version and hope that the characters will be on the XBLM as DLC?

Very interested in this game and I will probably not buy a 360 this generation (at least not again as I have had two).

So this would be good news, so i dont entirely miss this game. I dont have time for three current gen consoles.

[quote name='CAG 79']Is this still coming out? I haven't gotten the 360 version yet because I have been waiting on the PS3 version w/ the extras. Seems like there hasn't been any news on this game's release since early this year. Anyone have any new info? Should I just get the 360 version and hope that the characters will be on the XBLM as DLC?[/QUOTE]Namco Bandai hasn't said a word in a while along with not even listing it on their site as coming out soon. One assumed they might have canceled it since it sold pretty poor overall, probably won't say much higher on PS3 even in Japan, and Namco Bandai probably doesn't want to split their fanbase (since they seem to greatly be preferring 360 putting just about everything on it).

I just went ahead and got it used at GS w/ a 25% coupon. Definitely an awesome game and glad I just got. If the PS3 version comes out, I may eventually get it too and play again for the extras.

[quote name='CAG 79']Yeah I might just go ahead and do what you did. I haven't played a good RPG since Dragon Quest 8.[/QUOTE]Just buy it cheap (It's getting cheap now), and if the PS3 version adds enough (it does make additions), then go ahead and get it sometime if you feel like playing it again. By the time the PS3 one does come probably, I'll probably be busy with Valkyria Chronicles and Disgaea 3 already on PS3 (along with two 360 RPGs).

[quote name='CAG 79']Is this still coming out? I haven't gotten the 360 version yet because I have been waiting on the PS3 version w/ the extras. Seems like there hasn't been any news on this game's release since early this year. Anyone have any new info? Should I just get the 360 version and hope that the characters will be on the XBLM as DLC?[/quote]

I've seen nothing new for about a year, unfortunately.

Also, to chime in on a year-old topic, another reason that dual language is left off of games is the additional licensing fees. This was cited as one of the two reasons Persona 3 did not include the original Japanese track (the other being space).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Namco Bandai hasn't said a word in a while along with not even listing it on their site as coming out soon. One assumed they might have canceled it since it sold pretty poor overall, probably won't say much higher on PS3 even in Japan, and Namco Bandai probably doesn't want to split their fanbase (since they seem to greatly be preferring 360 putting just about everything on it).

I just went ahead and got it used at GS w/ a 25% coupon. Definitely an awesome game and glad I just got. If the PS3 version comes out, I may eventually get it too and play again for the extras.[/QUOTE]

Well they announced it in April and revealed more info in September. One can also assume they were pretty deep into porting it. Kind of foolish to bail out that far in IMO. And what did they expect by releasing it on top of Halo 3, Bioshock, Blue Dragon, etc. Not only that they revealed the PS3 version exclusive features one week before the US 360 release of the game. People who keep up with news like that might have held off on a purchase if they owned both consoles or planned to. Might as well put your money into all the other games releasing at that point. It's just one stupid mistake after another for Namco IMO.

I'm hoping we'll get a late fall/Nov/Dec release for this.
I found this bit of info on Wikipedia.

On September 14, 2007 Bandai Namco officially announced Eternal Sonata was coming to the PS3, during Spring 2008 in Japan.

[quote name='argyle']Now I'm hoping they announce Culdcept Saga for the PS3. I have a friend I'd love to play with that has no interest in going multi-console this gen. Since Culdcept is mainly a Japanese thing anyway, I figure it's a pretty safe bet that it will go to the PS3 at some point...but I'd like some confirmation. ;)[/quote]

^THIS!!!!

I was soooooooo disappointed to see it going to the 360. The original was so much fun and one of the few strategy based games that I got my wife into. We had a blast playing it together back in the day and I would LOVE to have Saga now.

Yes, it's still coming out until we hear otherwise, and there's even rumors that Tales of Vermillion will go PS3 as well.

The thing to remember is that RPGs are big games, and porting them means a lot of time and changes. Even if they port the engine successfully, they then need to do Q&A on the whole game over. All the while, the team doing the port is likely smaller than the original team and might even be working on other games.

[quote name='Vanigan']Yes, it's still coming out until we hear otherwise, and there's even rumors that Tales of Vermillion will go PS3 as well.

The thing to remember is that RPGs are big games, and porting them means a lot of time and changes. Even if they port the engine successfully, they then need to do Q&A on the whole game over. All the while, the team doing the port is likely smaller than the original team and might even be working on other games.[/QUOTE]It's Tales of Vespiria.

We'll see, but the port is definitely taking time (but then again, took over a year to port ToS to PS2).

Here's an update:
Namco Bandai US has told videogaming247 that as far as it’s aware, the PS3 version of tri-Crescendo’s JRPG Eternal Sonata won’t make it out of Japan.

“I can’t speak for any other territories, but I believe Eternal Sonata is only announced for the PS3 in Japan right now,” said the spokesperson.

“We have no plans to release the game on the PS3 in the US at this moment.”

We reported earlier that there was “no news” as far as this title is concerned. Well, now there is some.
http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/06/02/namco-bandai-eternal-sonata-ps3-japan-only/

That's Namco Bandai USA for you. They left Tales of Destiny 2 (PS2 and PSP), Tales of Rebirth (PS2 and PSP), Tales of Phantasia (PS1 and PSP versions, but GBA version came thanks to Nintendo), Tales of Symphonia (PS2 version), Tales of Destiny PS2 remakes, Tales of the Tempest (DS), Tales of Innocence (DS), etc. as Japan only. They tend to bring over the worst (or not so very well liked Tales stateside) such as Tales of the World: RM (PSP) and Tales of Legendia (PS2) stateside. Oh course Namco X Capcom (probably because of licensing) and Xenosaga Episode I & II didn't come stateside on DS.

Overall, they make the stupidest business decisions (they were the portion of Namco Bandai to lose money), take way too long to bring some games stateside (why did it take them over 6 months to bring Tekken 4 stateside and a wile to bring an English Soul Calibur II stateside?, and so on.

But oh well, I already have the game so not a big problem (I really like it too, and definitely one of my favorites on 360).

I wouldn't flip out just yet. The game hasn't been released, and doesn't even have a Japanese release date yet. At some point in time, Namco said they had no plans to release Xenosaga in America, but we all know what happened there.

And to be fair, Tales of the Tempest was allegedly a terrible game.

[quote name='pete5883']I wouldn't flip out just yet. The game hasn't been released, and doesn't even have a Japanese release date yet. At some point in time, Namco said they had no plans to release Xenosaga in America, but we all know what happened there.

And to be fair, Tales of the Tempest was allegedly a terrible game.[/QUOTE]Oh course, but ToI was fantastic and we aren't getting that game.

But they way they sounded, they aren't completely sure, so who knows.

They aren't ready to announce a US/European version yet (if they plan to do one). It's basically pointless for these sites to go looking for an answer from these companies. Bioshock, Oblivion, etc. were denied for the PS3 to the very end until those companies were good and ready to announce it.

Eternal Sonata was price dropped to $40. A sure sign they still have games to get rid of. There's no advantage in announcing a PS3 US version while they still have unsold stock.

http://www.siliconera.com/2007/08/16/eternal-sonata-designed-for-gamers-to-hear-chopin/

Also Namco Bandai is “not aware” of a Playstation 3 version at the moment, which confirms the Xbox 360 exclusivity mentioned at the E3 Microsoft press conference.

That was one month before they announced the PS3 version (my previous post was wrong about it being announced in April, that was just the ESRB rating not an official announcement). Just one month but they claim "not aware"? Companies will deny it until they're ready to announce it on their own terms, not because a website went to them asking questions.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=80551

However, the obvious conclusion is apparently the wrong one to jump to. "We are not porting Overlord to PS3," a spokesperson told Eurogamer this morning.

There are lots of examples of this type of thing.

Lucky for us that the game is region free. :)

But It would be stupid to not bring the game over. The only difference would be the voice track which I can't imagine would be that hard to port over from the 360.

New Info:

http://www.siliconera.com/2008/06/20/ps3-trusty-bell-rings-in-september/

Last year Namco Bandai revealed Trusty Bell: Chopin no Yume (aka Eternal Sonata) would get a PlayStation 3 port with extra content. We don’t know if it’s coming to North America. We’re not even sure when Japan will play with Prince Crescendo in combat. It might be soon, though. Play-Asia just posted a September 18 release date for the Asian version. A few weeks ago Play-Asia leaked Afrika's release date so this could be real. On the other hand, Trusty Bell: Chopin no Yume won’t come out until September 18, 2009 in Japan.

I hope it'll have a moveable camera, that just killed it for me in the 360 version. The environments look so great, but I cant see them fully. I was fairly excited for this when it was announced, but after playing the demo, I didn't want to play it.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']I hope it'll have a moveable camera, that just killed it for me in the 360 version. The environments look so great, but I cant see them fully. I was fairly excited for this when it was announced, but after playing the demo, I didn't want to play it.[/QUOTE]Mostly likely, it will not change. Personally, I prefer a fixed camera since that gives me one less thing to bother with when playing an RPG.

We'll see if this comes stateside. If it does, I may buy the PS3 version also if I beat the 360 version (I'm 10 hours into it, but once I got MGS4, I haven't really played).

I'm still eagerly waiting. This is one of maybe three games that has me tempted to get a 360. Of course, by the time it does come Stateside (IF it comes Stateside), it'll be in the middle of a bunch of RPG titles.

Hope this game does get a PS3 release. I've started it on 360 and it's a thoroughly enjoyable game. Solid artwork, original story (at least the way they deliver it) and fun battle system. It would be great to see it get some more exposure.

I beat it on the 360, and overall I enjoyed it thanks to it being so beautiful to look at, and the cool combat. The storyline never really went anywhere though. I wouldn't re-buy this for my PS3.

[quote name='stevelee2k']Where are the ps3 rpgs? :( besides this, and ff13 which isn't even close to coming out.[/QUOTE]

Valkyria Chronicles
Disgaea 3

I guess localization would depend upon how much content will eventually be added. If they have to do things like change around scripted events and cut scenes in order to facilitate Crescendo's party usage, that may require getting the dubbing studio back on the phone. If it's just battle phrases the expense may not be too great but if they have to start replacing scenes and more the costs can add up really quickly.

It's sort of a quandary, really. The story could really use fleshing out in the middle and towards the end since it gets all choppy and disjointed, but doing so may decrease its potential for release outside of Japan if localization efforts are concerned. Tricky stuff.

Fantastic game, though. I heartily recommend playing it however you can. The camera also ends up not being that much of an issue since the enemies tend to only take one of three different formations in each battle. Just pay attention to the intro and you can see if anything will be blocking your movement at the start (usually at center position or some combination of north and south) and you're good to go.

I'm a 360 guy myself this generation (the PS3 is fascinating but I can't justify the size, price, or games yet) but I sincerely hope the game hits the PS3. It's a solid title that should have sold a tad better than it did, although 250K units worldwide may not be too terrible?

I think perhaps selling on the PS3 will get a bit more success. This isn't a knock against the 360, but frankly the playstation brand was pretty much the defacto JRPG console during the last generation. A lot of people who buy 360s aren't looking for JRPG games, meanwhile it's likely a lot more PS3 owners would play and buy JRPGs.

It may very well be their poorer showings are because of a lower interest in JRPGs amongst 360 owners.

This will change this generation as MS actively pursues JRPGs and the Japanese market in general, but for now a lot of these JRPGs you see on the 360 are really just the result of MS of Asia handing out wads of money for timed or full exclusive JRPGs in an attempt to get more market share in those territories.

bread's done
Back