Eternal Sonata - it's out now 10/21/2008

[quote name='Kapwanil']The story could really use fleshing out in the middle and towards the end since it gets all choppy and disjointed, but doing so may decrease its potential for release outside of Japan if localization efforts are concerned. Tricky stuff.[/quote]

The story gets all choppy. Chopin. Get it? ;)

[quote name='Zoglog']http://www.siliconera.com/index.php/2007/04/23/eternal-sonata-also-coming-to-the-ps3/

For those of you who don't have a 360. This wouldn't be incredibly shocking news considering the 360's struggle in japan.

However, the Blu-ray disc may make way for enough room for them to include a japanese language track w/ subs for those who prefer it.[/quote]

Subtitles are always better....that way you dont have to turn down the music to understand what they heck they are saying.

Here's a scan:
http://www.jeux-france.com/Webmasters/Images/61001420080626_162717_0_big.jpg

The PS3 version of Trusty Bell (also known as Eternal Sonata in the States) is hitting Japan on September 18th, more than a year after its original release on Xbox 360. Sales of the 360 original were respectable, but it's clear that the PS3 version will attract a largest audience, especially in the RPG-hungry Japanese territory.

To make up for the long delay, new content will be exclusive to the PS3 release. New event scenes, which flesh out the story, will be thrown on the Blu-ray disc. A new quest will be added, and unlike the original release of the game, there will be multiple endings. This new "director's cut" should alleviate some of the biggest complaints about the original. Joystiq's Alexander Sliwinski had this to say about the ending of the original Eternal Sonata: "It was like the team gave up, knew they still had to pack in a 40 hour experience and just rushed through the rest. And unless you're a pretentious philosophy major, the ending makes no kinds of sense."

While the PS3 version of Eternal Sonata is confirmed for release this year, the fate of a potential US release has been undetermined.
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/06/26/eternal-sonata-hits-japan-in-september-features-tons-of-new-con/

[quote name='stevelee2k']Where are the ps3 rpgs? :( besides this, and ff13 which isn't even close to coming out.[/QUOTE]

If you count western RPG's then the PS3 has quite a bit to look forward to. If you mean JRPG's then yeah that's kind of true. Japan hasn't really held up on their end as far as RPG's go IMO on any platform. There's probably some stuff going on behind the scenes so stuff will most likely show up, whether it's for PS3 or not is another story though. Eternal Sonata is the only 3rd party RPG out on the 360 that I really want ported to PS3 (to USA obviously). Everything else I'm only mildly interested in or not interested at all.

This year
-----------

Disgaea 3
Fallout 3
Valkyria Chronicles
Sacred 2
Rise of the Argonauts

Next year and beyond
--------------------------

White Knight
Last Remnant
FF13
FF13 Versus
Gothic 4
Alpha Protocol
multiple MMORPG's from SquareEnix, Sony, NCSoft, etc.
RPG from "Big Huge Games"

Rumored games and possibilities
---------------------------------------

Eternal Sonata (US release)
possible Japanese-only games brought over from Atlus and NIS such as Agarest Senki, Steambot Chronicles 2, etc.
Dungeon Lords 2
possible 360 ports such as Star Ocean 4, Tales of Vesparia, etc. (most everything is being ported nowadays, these are just as likely as anything else, requires a great deal of patience though)
Angel Rings (supposed RPG Sony is working on)

Possibly many more we don't even know about. I'm personally fine with the current situation and have plenty to keep me busy and to look forward to, others may not.

Last edited by a moderator:
They were never being ridiculous or stupid in the first place. They either hadn't decided yet, or weren't ready to announce it.

[quote name='pete5883']So in 1 day, Eternal Sonata ps3, Fallout 3, Bioshock ps3, and Star Ocean PSP are all released? Wise.[/QUOTE]It's Namco, since they send ALL their games out to die. That's the same day as LittleBigPlanet also (RB2 is out that week also). I want to get it, but I'll admit the release timing it terrible. One week later in October would have been better IMO.

Sweet I can't wait for this game. I'm going to try to pick it up the first week.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']It's Namco, since they send ALL their games out to die. [/QUOTE]
Are you saying Namco hates money?

[quote name='pete5883']Are you saying Namco hates money?[/QUOTE]I think they do, because many of their games would have been best if they were multi-platform (TC4, AC6, ToV, etc.), and they've targeted way too many games for the wrong platform (Beautiful Katamari and Mr. Driller Online especially). That's why I sometimes think they don't want money (they released Tales of the Abyss and Legendia at very bad times, and even skipped out on ToI on DS for stateside release).

Anyway, I'm still interested in this, but kind of hate spending $60.

I'm interested in this definitely but will NOT buy the American version if it doesn't include the Japanese audio. The voice of "Shinobu" from Love Hina is in it. If I have to I'll just import the Japanese version of it.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I think they do, because many of their games would have been best if they were multi-platform (TC4, AC6, ToV, etc.), and they've targeted way too many games for the wrong platform (Beautiful Katamari and Mr. Driller Online especially). That's why I sometimes think they don't want money (they released Tales of the Abyss and Legendia at very bad times, and even skipped out on ToI on DS for stateside release). [/QUOTE]
I think you'd have a hell of a time proving that any of these games would be better if they were developed for the "right" platform.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']It's Namco, since they send ALL their games out to die. That's the same day as LittleBigPlanet also (RB2 is out that week also). I want to get it, but I'll admit the release timing it terrible. One week later in October would have been better IMO.[/quote]

Yeah I hate to inform you, but rockband NEVER sold incredibly for any system..

Little Big Planet will sell the most that week.. by far

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Yeah I hate to inform you, but rockband NEVER sold incredibly for any system..

Little Big Planet will sell the most that week.. by far[/QUOTE]
:rofl:, no, I don't think it will. Fallout 3 will probably beat it.

Great to hear that it's coming to the states. Terrible date though and will probably have to push back buying it in favor of Fallout.

Fallout 3 will sell the most that week and LBP will sell more in the long run. Not a very smart move to release Eternal Sonata, Bioshock, and anything else that week. It's like they know ES will end up in the bargain bin for the holidays.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='depascal22']Then it'll be LBP the 21st and Fallout the 28th. I still don't see ES selling a ton of copies.[/QUOTE]I dunno, go to a few certain PS3 centric forums. Tons and tons of people really, really want it to get their RPG fix (that isn't SRPG). I have no doubt it will sell decently (If PS3 had more RPGs, it would get lost in the shuffle). Many badly want to buy it to convince Namco to bring ToV to PS3.

The problem with any console-centric forum is that it doesn't really represent the public in general. I'd think that CAG is a little more representative of the public at large. I'm not trying to bash those forums but I check them out from time to time and they seem to skew to the "fanboy". Yes, most of those people will buy the game but that won't make any of us forget about LBP or Fallout 3.

Also, buying one game to encourage a company to port other games is borderline retarded. For example, fighting game heads rushed out to buy the crappy Art of Fighting Anthology in the hopes of getting the other SNK games over here. It worked except for the fact that SNK made sloppy ports of games that have been out for over a year (KOF XI and Neo Geo Battle Coliseum). I'm not saying ES will be as bad as KOF XI but the potential is there. Yes, it's going to have new playable characters and all that jazz but will the framerate hold up? Will there be any other problems that usually plague ports? Only time will tell.

If Namco is going to expand ToV like they did the port of Eternal Sonata, it'll come out sometime next year and that puts it up against FFXIII and how many copies will it sell then? I'd rather see original properties or a completely new Tales for the PS3.

While the forums aren't representative of the majority of gamers, I assume sales don't need to be that large for the port to be a success, so if they get the JRPG crowd to buy it in America it will do pretty well.

And if you think FFXIII is going to be out in America next year... I'd say Japan will see it at the end of next year at the earliest and the US a year later (remember they need time to do a 360 port that they aren't starting till after the Japan release. ToV needs to aim for the summer before a Star Ocean port I think.

PS3boxart, courtesy of GameFly.
133500e.jpg

I like that cover art. If they used the same art as the 360 version, people might have thought it to be another shoddy port.

And yes, I think FFXIII will come out in time for next year's holiday rush. Nothing to back up the claim but I just like to be ballsy.

PS3 art > 360 art

But did they say anything NEW would be on the ps3? Or no -_-V

Cuz if not.. pass :( Im not redoing the entire game and getting all the possible trophies if there are any like on the 360 version.. collecting every single score was such a pain

There will be two new playable characters, a couple new cutscenes, and a new ending. So it looks like it will be the definitive version.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Epic boxart. Is this gonna be $60 though? :cry:[/QUOTE]Wait till Meijer gives out Santa Bucks and get it cheaper there. That's what I'll probably do.

[quote name='willardhaven']Awesome, now if Namco announces a PS3 version of Tales of Vesperia, my next-gen console decision will be made.[/QUOTE]

I'd count on it. There've been multiple sightings of Tales of Vesperia being listed as a PS3 game on Namco's Japanese site for a few hours, then them taking it down, probably due to the money hats at MS. I'm patiently waiting for an official announcement.

[quote name='happy']And if you think FFXIII is going to be out in America next year... I'd say Japan will see it at the end of next year at the earliest and the US a year later (remember they need time to do a 360 port that they aren't starting till after the Japan release. ToV needs to aim for the summer before a Star Ocean port I think.[/quote]

FF XIII is a simultaneous release for both consoles in both regions, IIRC.

[quote name='thelonepig']FF XIII is a simultaneous release for both consoles in both regions, IIRC.[/quote]
Europe and North America, not North America and Japan. Square's finishing development of the PS3 version for release in Japan before starting 360 development.

[quote name='willardhaven']I could see ToV coming to the PS3 for Christmas or during the winter.[/QUOTE]

It'll probably be a bit longer than that, but I'm sure it'll be announced within a year.

bread's done
Back