Etrian Odyssey IV - No manual?

morrodox

CAGiversary!
I just opened my new (actual new, not GameStop "new") copy of Etrian Odyssey IV and was surprised to see it didn't come with a manual, just the game card. Just wondering if they didn't include one to save on production costs, or if I got one without?

Thanks.

Fire Emblem came with just a piece of paper as the game manual. But you should atleast have other pamphlets in there.

Yeah fire emblem came with just a fold out paper, but I have never had a game come with absolutely no manual and just an empty case. Even Xbox 360 games come with a sheet insert or something like that, much like what comes with a DVD. I would imagine a 3DS game would at least include the precautions booklet, but that is really sad if they are resorting to just leaving cases completely empty now.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-etrian-odyssey-iv-246744.phtml

I dont remember which thread was talking about a lack of reviews for this game, but I found this off GoNintendo. I dl'd the demo last night, Im anxious to try it out after reading this.

[quote name='SaraAB']I have never had a game come with absolutely no manual and just an empty case. [/QUOTE]

Guess you don't own any Vita games

"Eco" cases and no manuals with just a paper having a online pass code.

Sadly that's the future of gaming. It saves the company money having to print only the box art, cartridge/disc label and putting it into the box.

It's either that or go all digital which is the ultimate goal of game companies in the long run.

More games will have either a short tutorial or a in game help/how to play screen.

Next generation a majority of the games will most likely be offered as day one downloads as companys continue to push for digital sales. The profit margin is much larger there.

[quote name='Bioterror']So is bestbuy and target not getting this game?[/QUOTE]

Don't think they carried the previous games so probably not.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']http://www.destructoid.com/review-etrian-odyssey-iv-246744.phtml

I dont remember which thread was talking about a lack of reviews for this game, but I found this off GoNintendo. I dl'd the demo last night, Im anxious to try it out after reading this.[/QUOTE]

That was me in the Dragon Quest thread (most relevant thread I could find).

I decided to take a risk and start playing even though I never played an EO game before. There were 3 reviews up on Metacritic last night (and still just 3 today) and they are all pretty good (2 very good, 1 decent).

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/etrian-odyssey-iv-legends-of-the-titan

My game was sent from gamestop.com and was still sealed. The game case inside the cardboard box (with the bundled soundtrack CD) was shrink-wrapped and had nothing in the case besides the game.

As for the game itself, I am really liking it. It is probably a good thing I never played they others because I would have sunk a lot of time into them I'm sure ;).

[quote name='io']
As for the game itself, I am really liking it. It is probably a good thing I never played they others because I would have sunk a lot of time into them I'm sure ;).[/QUOTE]

I can't stop playing fire emblem long enough to try the demo out, but the art style looks amazing. I'm not a fan of the DQ games (I only tried to play IV on the DS), so I hope it's not too similar. I'd be curious how long it takes to beat the game when a cag finishes it.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']I can't stop playing fire emblem long enough to try the demo out, but the art style looks amazing. I'm not a fan of the DQ games (I only tried to play IV on the DS), so I hope it's not too similar. I'd be curious how long it takes to beat the game when a cag finishes it.[/QUOTE]

It is nothing at all like DQ. I just posted about it there because it was a JRPG thread and well, this is sort of one of those ;). It is a turn-based JRPG though - so you need to like those sorts of things.

For the sake of perspective, does anyone happen to know if the Japanese release of Etrian Odyssey IV have a physical manual, or was it like the US release?

And just to clarify my earlier post, while it is nominally a JRPG (in that it is an RPG made in Japan) it really harkens back to those old-school Western RPGs like Might & Magic and Wizardry where you explore mazes in first-person and draw your own maps. I am really digging it. I used to play those games back on my original model Mac in the mid-to-late 80's. That's where I did my gaming back then instead of playing the NES/SNES.

It is sort of the best of those games in terms of the exploration and difficulty but the ability to draw your map right on the 3DS (and the floor can be auto-painted as you walk around - you just need to draw walls and drop icons for special things like doors/chests) makes it much neater and let's you focus more on the gameplay.

Well, I found a mint used copy with the CD at Gamestop with the 25% off coupon (In addition to Starfox and Metal Gear).

Pretty excited, I didn't play many rpgs on the DS and want to build a good 3DS collection this time around.

I don't mind the digital manual approach companies are taking. I would prefer they increase their profit margins, especially with games like Etrian Odyssey. No need to worry about losing them either.

Good to hear that EO IV seems to be received well. I understand it is a bit easier than the others, but that it still has the same spirit of the series is encouraging. I will track it down at some point.

I don't think it's sad, but the digital manuals could be better. They just look like a standard FAQ page and they don't provide very much useful information.

Manuals have gone from storybooks (why I had to read the origins of Blanka and Dhalsim beats me) to precautions & button lists in four languages. At this rate they could cut the insert and make the box smaller and cheaper.

The lighter cases/games w/o manuals cost less to ship, and I'm happy with that when selling games online.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']I don't think it's sad, but the digital manuals could be better. They just look like a standard FAQ page and they don't provide very much useful information.[/QUOTE]

That is my biggest gripe with the death of manuals. Manuals were in a sense a prequel to the game. In the past a great many manuals featured back story to set up the game which is never repeated in the actual games themselves along with all sorts of great tables about attributes/abilities/spells/whatever in the game. A digital "manual" (if you dare even call these turds that) have nothing of the sort. Just cut and dry controls and boring as hell.

And the biggest travesty is that Atlus was one of the few publishers still putting in all this great work into making the best, most extensive manuals out there. And that is part of the reason why I loved them. Being soured by their change to "keep up with the Jones's", I no longer will buy Atlus titles brand new. They cost themselves a longtime loyal customer with this absurd change away from printed manuals and have no one to blame but themselves.

Just opened my copy to play, no manual but soundtrack + artbook is ok in my book.

I have a game question though. Where do you set skills for your party? I select the skills menu and can't put points into any skills.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Just opened my copy to play, no manual but soundtrack + artbook is ok in my book.

I have a game question though. Where do you set skills for your party? I select the skills menu and can't put points into any skills.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it is a little weird. The "Skills" option that you are looking at is for using skills. To set them, go to the "Custom" option and under that is another "Skills" option. You can also set your Burst slots under "Custom" (special attacks/abilities you use when the gauge fills up during battle). It took me a while to realize I had more than just the couple you start with (and you get more as you play).

[quote name='io']Yeah, it is a little weird. The "Skills" option that you are looking at is for using skills. To set them, go to the "Custom" option and under that is another "Skills" option. You can also set your Burst slots under "Custom" (special attacks/abilities you use when the gauge fills up during battle). It took me a while to realize I had more than just the couple you start with (and you get more as you play).[/QUOTE]
Wow, I totally missed the Custom menu. Thanks for that.

Great game BTW.

bread's done
Back