EU only - FREE Xbox LIVE Gold (well, for the weekend at least)

lightsup55

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Starting TOMORROW, all Xbox LIVE free accounts (i.e. silver members) in European countries will have online multiplayer access for FREE (ALL GAMES) until Monday, April 25, 2011. No credit card or redeemable code necessary, just sign in and play.

FREE Xbox LIVE Gold weekend runs from Thursday, April 21, 2011 to Monday, April 25, 2011.

In addition, you might want to join in on the Guinness World Record Attempt Through "Kinect Sports" on April 23 for a free avatar tee shirt. All Xbox LIVE enabled countries will have FREE online multiplayer access in the Kinect Sports game only on Saturday, April 23, 2011 to participate in the world record attempt.

EDIT: With the exception of the Kinect Sports game, ALL other non-European countries (i.e. the United States, Canada, etc.) and games (i.e. Halo, Call of Duy, Portal 2, etc.) will REQUIRE an Xbox LIVE Gold account to play online multiplayer. Sorry, but I didn't know this before and it wasn't clearly stated in the original source link.

Source (original): Xbox Live's Major Nelson » Coming soon to the Xbox LIVE Marketplace

Source (updated with new information): Xbox Live's Major Nelson » Free Xbox LIVE Weekend and be a part of a World Record Attempt

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently, still not live. I tried going to Halo Waypoint and it still says Silver. Anyone know when this is supposed to start? Will check back later.

[quote name='GenPirate']That Kinect Sports thing, do you need the full game or will the demo work for it?[/QUOTE]

I would say you'd need the actual game.

[quote name='lightsup55']According to a tweet posted by @XboxSupport, the free Gold weekend is for the UK region. That might explain why it isn't working in the U.S.[/QUOTE]
The Xbox Nations free XBL weekend event is definitely not intended to be UK only. ;)

[quote name='HORSEBORSE']what a lie. the OP made it seem its for US[/QUOTE]
I didn't lie, I only stated what information I had to go by from the original source. I have since updated the original post to reflect the new information from a better source.

It was actually employees of Microsoft that are at fault for embellishing the event and making it seem as if it were world wide. They should have mentioned it was EU only from the get go...

[quote name='Cyberknight1969']Apparently, still not live. I tried going to Halo Waypoint and it still says Silver. Anyone know when this is supposed to start? Will check back later.[/QUOTE]

I believe these promotional weekends have no effect on your gamercard visually. You will still show up as SILVER but with online multiplayer access.

I thought it was for US members, too. Man, I'm disappointed. Looks like I won't be playing anything online for free. :(

[quote name='TXboxGuY']I believe these promotional weekends have no effect on your gamercard visually. You will still show up as SILVER but with online multiplayer access.[/QUOTE]

During the last free weekend, Halo Waypoint actually did change from the Silver to the full access. I guess I'll have to wait a little longer. At least I can rack up more Halo experience. Hoping it happens soon, though.

Yeah, initial reports failed to mention it was EU, but as someone who has a site I can tell you, it's because the initial comments from MS failed to mention it. Ugh, need to update a post now.

bread's done
Back