Evaluate this desktop

Kazuya

CAGiversary!
Would be grateful if a few CAGs in the know would evaluate this PC as a general use machine. Needed mostly for watching video, web surfing, running iTunes, uTorrent, and Remote Desktop Connection. Minimal to no gaming needs, Facebook/flash stuff rarely. Main priority is just smooth operation and being able to stream HD video decently. Seems like an OK deal at $300. Thanks.

http://www.frys.com/product/7161652

Integrated video card isn't the best, but since you won't be gaming it shouldn't be a problem. Internet surfing and videos won't tax the system like a game would, so my verdict is that computer is pretty decent.

It isn't a supercomputer but I think you already knew that. You should be able to handle even uTorrent (you scurvy pirate!) so long as you don't have much else running. uTorrent is a pretty solid tax on the system, so don't expect to surf quickly or watch videos while uTorrent is going.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Integrated video card isn't the best, but since you won't be gaming it shouldn't be a problem. Internet surfing and videos won't tax the system like a game would, so my verdict is that computer is pretty decent.

It isn't a supercomputer but I think you already knew that. You should be able to handle even uTorrent (you scurvy pirate!) so long as you don't have much else running. uTorrent is a pretty solid tax on the system, so don't expect to surf quickly or watch videos while uTorrent is going.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. You're right, uTorrent is a hog and while I don't run it much or usually do much while it's running, it's annoying how much everything chugs when it's going. I'm kinda apprehensive about the A4 processor, since I'm currently running a 6 year old Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66GHz and feel kinda weird for staying with a dual core after 6 years of technology progress. But for $300, I'm hoping this would be an upgrade.

Truthfully, the performance of my current machine (the aforementioned Core 2 Duo, w/ 2GB RAM) is mostly fine even to this day, but the laptop that houses it is falling apart. :) I obviously don't have heavy computer requirements.

Newegg Link

Found more details at Newegg. It does have a PCIe x 16 slot so you could slap in a cheap dedicated video card if you want to. For $300 with your needs it fits the bill. Max RAM is 8GB, but that's not a big deal.

[quote name='jmbreci']Newegg Link

Found more details at Newegg. It does have a PCIe x 16 slot so you could slap in a cheap dedicated video card if you want to. For $300 with your needs it fits the bill. Max RAM is 8GB, but that's not a big deal.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, man. Looks like it has HDMI out as well.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Integrated video card isn't the best, but since you won't be gaming it shouldn't be a problem. Internet surfing and videos won't tax the system like a game would, so my verdict is that computer is pretty decent.

It isn't a supercomputer but I think you already knew that. You should be able to handle even uTorrent (you scurvy pirate!) so long as you don't have much else running. uTorrent is a pretty solid tax on the system, so don't expect to surf quickly or watch videos while uTorrent is going.[/QUOTE]

utorrent is typically more taxing on you're router not your system. Bottlenecking the router will effect your ability to watch videos as the poster quoted has mentioned.

Seems like a good machine for your needs, the processor is weak but will be able to handle the tasks you described.

bread's done
Back