Ever Been Threaten? By a Former Coworker?

200STM

CAGiversary!
Hey CAGs 200STM here and I am bringing up this subject because I was threaten at work by an old coworker. Heres the story, I work for a retail store and I was a cart pusher/stockmen, its a team job since you both work together bring in shopping carts for customers on both entrances of the store. Now there was this one guy who wasn't the best worker at all he took extended breaks, smoked whenever he wanted and when well, you do bad habbits like that your bound to get caught. Working with this guy was difficult but I didn't let it get to me much because I came to work to work not to babysit and such so when this guy got sh*t canned he quickly believes that I was talking bad about him and he thinks I was one of the reasons he got fired. Fast forward several months pass by I've been promoted and work inside the store working in the food department. Working on Friday I am cleaning up a area of my department where this guy happens to be passing by he yells at me "talking sh*t still" then goes on to saying "what time I get off?" and he goes on about that he is going to get back at me blah blah blah so on and forth. The whole time hes talking I'm just going about my business ignoring him, he eventually leaves the area. I'm not really too worried about it if he does try doing anything I'll just press charges on him and if it does come to fighting I'll be ready to defend myself. I can't believe he actually thinks I got him fired and talked behind his back I'm not that kind of a person to do that. I just wanted to make this topic to talk about it, feels good I have you CAGs to bring up things like this and such. Anyone else ever had an old coworker threaten them? what did you do? How did you react to it?

Had issues but nothing like that. Think what you did is the best thing, he evidently wants some kind of confrontation if you don't give it to him he'll probably leave it. You could explain you didn't at all remark to anybody about him though, maybe ignoring him signals guilt or confirmation in his eyes.
But would be worth noting somewhere incase anything happens or checking online his background history if he;s been arrested for violence or anything like that.
I watch a lot of crime and investigation and ya never know!

Back when I use to work at Radio Shack (10 years ago) I had this one worker who was like 80 years old. Nice guy in the beginning but as I had to close with him I started noticing how much of an asshole he was. He would do things like filter out customers to get the easier , higher commison ones and leave me for the harder, lower commision ones. There were times that if a customer wanted a part, he would dump the customer on me and take the customers who wanted cell phones (since it paid more). Anytime a customer had an issue with something they bought from him, he would dump it on me claiming I was "the expert". Most of these issues range from being sold the wrong product, to being over charged.

I talked to my manager about him but he did nothing because he did not want to offend an old man. Finally I got tired of his shit and told him that he needs to stop dumping customers problems on me. We got into a heated argument and then he pulled out his pocket knife and threaten to stab me if I told management. I told management the next day and of course nothing was done about it.

Sometimes it's very hard to be mean to older people or fire them. He claimed he was a WW II Vet. I am pretty sure he's dead by now (Since last time I heard before I quit he had a heart attack). Oh well.

In your situation I think the best thing your store can do is issue a no trespass warning to him. If he continues to harass you and the store does nothing and something does happen to you, you can actually sue the store for negligence and of course have charges brought up against the guy.

It was the 7pm night time rush where the store gets busy, I got someone who heard him a worker in the next department she came to ask me who was that told her the story. He might have a past , I'm not the only guy who he didn't like two other cart pushers said he tried to confront them back when we were working outside. He pretty much blames who ever worked with him on a shift for getting him fired but was caught several times stealing time (mostly smoking) he should haven known that management are on cart pushers every 30 minutes. Ill let our AP know about this guy.

bread's done
Back