Ever had a store error in your favor?

I've had a few land in my favor. Most recently, I purchased Assassins Creed III at Gamestop for the Wii U. They left the sale sticker on for $39.99 (it's currently back up to the regular price, that particular price was from either last week or the one before).

The register rang it up at $59.99 and I said to the cashier, "I think you got the price wrong, boy." And he starred at the register, bewildered and shamed, stuttering discordant babble. He told me the sale price must have expired, to which I said "Fiddle." Gasping for air he choked out, "I'll fix it, sir", and he promptly did, to no credit of his own.

As I left the store he bid me good day; I responded to his pedestrian commonality a parting word of "Perhaps."

Last year I used an Amazon gift card to buy some Xbox 360 games. When they came in the mail there were two packages. I was shocked, because I only ordered one of each. The next day I contacted customer service and they said to return the extra copies. When they received the extra copies I had noticed that they had refunded my gift card. So I basically got two games for free. :D

Around 9 months after PSP was released, TRU had 128MB memory stick duo's (or whatever the memory card was called) on clearance for $4.98. They also had a promotion running at the same time where all PSP memory sticks were $5 off. They rang up for $0.00 at the register.

Also at TRU, they had Midway Arcade Treasures 2 for XBox and PS2 not for resale copies that were supposed to be free with the pre-order of some game (I think it was NBA Ballers or Area 51). After the pre-order promotion was over, those copies of Midway Arcade Treasures 2 rung up for $0.01 each. The same thing happened at Circuit City with the Star Wars Clone Wars/Tetris Worlds Combo Disc that was supposed to be free with an XBox purchase. They had it tagged $99.99 and I guess it changed to free when bought with an XBox but after that promotion ended, the game rang up for $0.01 on it's own.

I ordered some 2 Dreamcast games from Amazon around 2000. They sent me the order and then the exact same order a few days later and only charged me once. I contacted them and they said to just keep the games.

I don't remember the numbers on this one since it was a long time ago, but this is the gist of what happened.

I was getting Sears to pricematch one of the SSX games on the PS2. Don't remember why. At any rate, the guy rang it up with the price match and quoted me a price significantly lower than it should have been. I paused, then explained to him that his math was off. He replied back telling me that *I* was wrong and his way-too-low price was correct. I shrugged and said "OK, whatever you say". Hey, I tried. ;)

I just remembered another incident, I was at the Lego store a few months back. I went up to the register and for what ever reason that I don't recall I tell them I didn't want a $40 set that I just brought up after all. I go home and unpack the items out of the bag and see the set is in there. I quickly checked my receipt because I was certain I they removed the item and it sure was.

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']About three years ago I bought purchased a 2tb HDD from Amazon.com. A couple days later the UPS guy delivered a giant crate to me. Puzzled, I opened up the crate to find 25 2tb HDD inside. I'll look to see if I still have the pics I took of it lying around. I don't know how you mess up that much on an order.[/QUOTE]
Did you keep them?

I've had many times where I've been given the wrong amount of change back from a cash purchase. Sometimes a different denomination was inadvertenly stuck in the wrong cash drawer slot (such as a $10 bill in the $1 slot). Other than that, I don't understand how it happens, when a lot of point-of-sale systems actually show you how much of each bill and/or change to give back.

I always let them know about their error and give the overage back. I used to work at a large convenience store chain when I was going through college, and if the count was off by even a penny I had to make up the difference. Needless to say I was pretty diligent about counting back the change properly and would go months without a discrepancy. The kids (and adults) working these jobs can't afford to make up what might amount to an hour's work on a mistake like that.

I've got friends, however, that say "F'em. Their bad. I'll buy lottery tickets with my 'free' money."

This one time in Walmart I noticed they had put the last copy of Naruto Shippuden volume 9 (priced $29.96) in the empty slot for Naruto Shippuden the Movie 2 (priced $15.96). This being Walmart, the price label just said "NARUTOFF" so I decided to go ahead and try. Electronics cashier went to the shelf and checked, then had to get manager approval, but got the OK. To top it off, he marked it down to $15 even.

A couple of days before christmas this last year I bought a TV from BB. The day after christmas it goes on sale $100 cheaper. I called and got $100 refunded to my card. About a week after that another $100 was refunded to my card. I checked the price thinking it must have gone down again, nope, it was now $200 more than I originally paid.

I was purchasing an Xbox (OG) game from Bestbuy and gave the cashier a giftcard to use on the order. I had about $5+ left on the card , but the cashier must have been new because she fumbled around with it for a few minutes before asking how much was on the card.

She gets a panicked look on her face, hands me a receipt, and tells me to just go. I wasn't sure how to respond, so we go back and forth a bit before I finally say "Thanks!" and head out.

Also, her semi-attractive nipple was hanging out of her bra.

Yesterday, I got fries at McDonald's, Ordered a medium, and they gave me a large. Awesome thing was....I only paid for a medium....STICK IT TO THE MAN!!!

I went to Burger King once to get food for the family and the total came to $40 something. While driving away I notice I got back more change then the food cost :)

My mom was doing online shopping to get some wine, only added items to her cart but never checking out. A few weeks later she gets a dozen bottles in the mail, the packing list sayings $0.00.

I didn't come out on the better end of this, but it's semi-relevant because someone did.

One time back when I was in college, my roommates and I all had some friends over and we decided to get a bunch of food from McDonalds for everyone since it was only a few blocks from our house. I got the short straw, so I drove down the street with a huge list of dollar menu items.

When I get to the McDonalds, there was a long line in the drive through so it takes a while to get my order in. I order all the food and then slowly start moving forward to the pickup window. When I was second in line to get to the window, I'm watching the car in front of me because there's a few teenagers in it singing along to the radio and looking stupid. The window opens and they start passing 4 huge bags of food into the car. The teenagers are looking at each other and I can just see based on the body language that they're confused, but they don't say anything. They pull forward away from the window for a few seconds and start opening the bags, and they started high-fiving each other before peeling out of the parking lot.

So I pull up to the window, and I'm pretty sure I already know what happened. The guy says, "You had the sweet tea and the ice cream sunday, right?" I replied, "Nah, I'm pretty sure you just gave the $40 worth of food I ordered to those teenagers." His face was priceless. It actually looked like this: :shock:. He put his arms on the window frame and leaned out to look around for their car for a second, and then just went back to his deer in headlights face. After a few seconds he says, "Uh, hold on for a second." and the window closes. I felt bad for him, so I just sat there and patiently waited. He comes back and tells me to pull into a parking spot and they would bring my food out shortly.

After I pull into the parking spot, I wait for about 15 minutes and nothing. Finally, I just go into the McDonalds and politely ask if my food is ready. The cashier looks confused. I don't see the guy that was at the window when I pulled up to it. I show the receipt to the manager and explain to him what happened and a girl who was working walks by and says "yeah, that happened" to confirm to him I was telling the truth. This manager gets some attitude with me and says "Well, it's going to be a few minutes." I end up waiting another 5 minutes standing inside, and he brings the bags to the counter and says "Here's your food." then goes back to work.

I double check my list and everything is there and leave. No apology, no free apple pie, not even a polite exchange with any of the employees during my 30+ minutes at McDonalds. I'm pretty sure the guy that gave my food to the wrong car just left and didn't actually tell anyone to make up the order again. Needless to say, I tried to avoid going to that McDonalds from that point on.

Back when you could get those 10% off codes from the ECA, I was able to stack three of them and ordered probably close to $1000 worth of games at Amazon (including preorders that were months/years in the future) at 30% off.

For Gears of War 3, I ordered it at $41.xx after the 30% off, and it included a $20 gift certificate with preorder, only they sent me two gift cert codes, so I ended up paying $1.xx for the game.

I pre-ordered Windows 98 from a local Staples. (Yeah, I know... Lame...) There was a $10 deposit, and you pay the rest when you pick it up.

When the day arrived, I went to the store and got paired up with a cashier that didn't even realize Staples took pre-orders. She tried to charge me full price a few times before finally bringing her manager over. He was very apologetic, filling my basket with a whole bunch of off-the-shelf productivity software; Dragon Naturally Speaking, some word processor I'd never heard of, etc. (I still have all those huge boxes. Aside from Dragon for gits and shiggles, I don't think I ever used any of it.)

When she finally brought up my pre-order, she said, "Ninety-six." Seemed like a weird thing to say, so I asked, "Dollars?" thinking she had screwed up again. "No, ninety-six cents." I tried not to look surprised, handed her a dollar, and left the store.

We got to the exit door of the store, and I turned around to look at my dad with a big beaming smile on my face, so excited I could barely say anything. He didn't give me a chance. "SHUT UP!" he growled, and pushed me out to the car, afraid I was going to blow it.

I always call out an error in my favor if I catch it before I leave the store.

Years and years ago I had a eye dr apply my glasses payment twice by mistake. So when I went to pick them up they said nothing was due even though I only paid for half. I told them and it took quite awhile for them to sort it out. Didn't even get much of a thank you.

I had a gas attendant give me change for a $50 when I paid with a $20 (when gas was cheap enough to fill up with a $20). I told her of the mistake and she was very thankful as it obviously would have fucked her over at the end of the day.

I order an exercise bike from Amazon and the day it was due for delivery I got an email from them saying my return was excepted and I would be refunded the money. Later that night the bike was on my porch. I had to explain to their guy in India over and over that I didn't return the bike and got refunded anyway. No thank you there either, even though I spent nearly an hour until he figured it out.

Most recently I was at a diner and their register went down while we were eating, so they could only take cash. The poor old asian lady at the register couldn't do the math and didn't want to make me mad (I wouldn't have been) so she ended up rounding quite a bit in my favor on the change due to me. Instead of telling her though and trying to work through the issue (english wasn't her forte) with her I just left it all as a tip.

Sometimes I don't catch it though. If the inconvenience to me outweighs their potential impact I won't go back for them to fix it.

I bought a bunch of large light fixtures from a big home improvement store. The cashier some how managed to not ring one up. I didn't notice until I got done loading my car and my brain realized the net total seemed a bit low. I figured the have a big enough breakage/loss cushion to deal with it.

Edit: Forgot one from when I was younger. I order 2 used copies of SOTN from buyrite1.com and they sent me 1 used copy of SOTN and 1 new import copy of the castlevania collection ($70 at the time). I just kept it and recently sold it to someone else (still sealed) for $70. It took nearly 15 years, but I think I made $50 in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
@RoadDogg, I'm genuinely impressed. If everyone -- and by everyone I'm certainly including greedy corporations and most politicians -- was as honest as you, the world would be a better place.

I've had a few but more recently I had asked amazon to price match Assassin's Creed Vita to a price they had on it the day before. They did, except they gave it to me for the price of the difference as opposed to the actual price. I paid $9.xx for it.

TRU hooked me up BIG. Got the N64, Mario 64 and four Star Wars figures. This was still when they kept their video games in what could best be described as a cage. Cashier rang up the four figures, but rang the game up TWICE, failing to charge me for the system at all. I essentially paid the price of the game for the system. Cha-CHING!

[quote name='Clan Mc']TRU hooked me up BIG. Got the N64, Mario 64 and four Star Wars figures. This was still when they kept their video games in what could best be described as a cage. Cashier rang up the four figures, but rang the game up TWICE, failing to charge me for the system at all. I essentially paid the price of the game for the system. Cha-CHING![/QUOTE]
Gotta love TRU.

Another story, amazon sent me some old 80's movie just for the hell of it once. Hadnt ordered anything from them. Dont remember what it was but I just returned it to sender.

Well I've had several good outcomes in errors. More or less come from Walmart. I bought Assassins Creed 3 in Jan for $30 because they price matched the PC version instead of the PS3 version.

1997....Ordered a Sicilian pizza from Little Caesars Pizza. A few minutes after I placed the order I ordered some bottled soda's as well. Gave the guy a 20 and got back like 18 dollars in change....got the pizza and left... free pizza :D

In addition to my earlier post, I preordered Duke Nukem Forever: Balls of Steel Edition online way back in the day. When the game released, I got TWO packages and inside each was a copy of this edition even though I was only charged for one. I sold one to pay for my copy. I'm glad it came out free in the end as the game wasn't all that good.

[quote name='Jodou']Best Buy 'free game coupons', Target PS+ price mistake, etc. Pretty much anything reported on this site that we took advantage of. ;)[/QUOTE]

That was the best deal goof target........Best Buy PM 3 of them without blinking....used 1 , gave 1 to a friend and have one left. :D

oh yeah...and Microcenter selling me a "used" 360 slim and giving my Forza 4 instead of 3 by accident........Opened the drive when I checked it out...and what do you know? Another Forza 4 copy in the drive!

Traded it in to best buy during the bonus promos and got some nice credit back!

:D

Interesting thread to read thanks guy. But I just have one question: How does a semi-attractive girl have her bra exposed in the first place? My only guess is you caught her bending over with her very loose top.

My story was a small error but it was noteworthy because I caught an employee lying to me leading up to it:

I traded in a few games to take advantage of a Gamestop trade promo and the employee said I could get a "free" preorder if I just tell him what game I'm interested in picking up. I was very skeptical so I asked, "really? so you're telling me you'll give me the exact same amount back if I don't preorder anything?" He nodded and said "Yup. You'll lose out on a preorder if you don't." Tempted, I said "okay" so he added a Black Ops preorder to my transaction. I walked out of the store and noticed on the receipt that he rang me up for a $5 deposit reducing my trade credit. I walked right back in and immediately he knew what I was there for and his this scared, worried look on his face. lol. I confronted him about it and said "the receipt says otherwise, I would have $5 more had I not preordered like you said." He fumbled around with the receipt and was trying to figure out how to fix his screwup. The line at the register was getting long and he punched in a bunch of stuff on my receipt and gave a $5 gift card but somehow added another $8 to my preorder. I looked down on the receipt and noticed he tendered the transaction as cash even though I didn't give him anything.

bankerr.jpg

Title reminded me of this. Unfortunately, I've not had any store errors in my favor. Lots of errors in the store's favor.

i go to a local butcher. the meat is better and cheaper. I was in there last Saturday and was waiting in line and noticed that 2lb of hamburger was priced at .16. there were like 10 packs of it. since I am in there twice a week I told them. they thanked me and sold me a pack for .16. honesty does pay .
now one time at walmart they forgot to charge me for an external harddrive, didn't realize it for a week

[quote name='Vinny']Although it sucks that someone got screwed out of their WE because of this, I'm glad Digital River lost money.[/QUOTE]

Nobody got screwed out of a copy when I ordered two. I ordered back in July of 2012 (during the Ninostarter) when you could preorder however many copies you wanted (when they were made to order). This wasn't more recently when they put up a re-supply and had more limited numbers.

Back when Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time was brand new, I ordered Tools of Destruction from Best Buy for like $15 after coupon. Went to pick it up and they gave me A Crack in Time instead. Was a pretty sweet error (A Crack in Time is a great game).

I have a ton of these...I will try to list them quickly

• Back in like 2006 Best Buy listed RE4 for Gamecube for $15 before it even came out. I was able to get a rain check to get it for the $15 when it did come out.
  • When I was buying penny guides at Best Buy I decided to get two PC games, one of which went along with a guide (Quake 4) with them. The girl at the register scanned the Quake 4 guide twice and not the game. I didn't realize what was happening until I was home and looked at the receipt.
  • When I had a bunch of GS gift cards I ordered a gift card online to combine them. Apparantly you were not supposed to do this, yet this time it worked and I got the new gift card with the proper total on it. When I checked the balance of the original gift cards one still had over $50 on it.
  • When Arkham City was coming out, amazon had the CE listed for $60 for 360. I placed the order and then asked them to switch the game to PS3 but for some same price. No problems there.
  • AC Revelations and UMvC3 came out on the same day. When I got my package in the mail from amazon there were two envelopes. I thought "oh I guess they sent them each by themselves." I open one package and it was just ACR, I open the second one and it's another ACR along with UMvC3.
  • When the Portal Guns were coming out I ordered a P-Body gun. I got it and it was in horrible condition, shipped with no outter box, label slapped right on the box itself. I called amazon very upset about it of course. They gave me $50 refund and did their best to find a replacement. About two weeks later they found one and shipped it to me. When I asked about the other one, they said to keep it since it was so damaged.
  • Years ago I ordered the Mass Effect 1 CE guide/art book from an amazon 3rd party seller for like $15 or so. When it arrived it was just a slightly damaged art book. I called the seller and told them I ordered a new set, not just the art book. They apologized, stated they still had what I ordered and sent it out. I asked them what to do with the art book and they said keep it. Fast foward to when Mass Effect 2 comes out and the art book alone was worth $50 to trade into amazon directly.
  • I had ordered a Tales of Vesperia guide on amazon 3rd party when it was becoming slightly hard to find, not valuable yet but getting there. It arrived damaged and I asked for a refund. Seller agreed and I shipped it back to them. They gave me a refund when I told them I sent it back. A few days later the guide shows up back at my house stating the address was invalid. I double checked it to the address they gave me and I wrote it on there 100% correct. I contacted the seller and they never replied.

That's all I can think of right now.

Saix, same thing happened with a turtle beach dpx21 was Broken on arrival (don't EVER wrap your cord around the earphones on these thing's) and so I sent it back to the address on their ebay, got refunded the $80 I spent on it (used not new btw), when it came back in the mail was just like SWEET, and cannibalized the DSS it had for a X12 I bought later on.

I have had some but I can't remember all of them, basically none involve games though. I don't think I have had anything recently though.

I have told this story before here but here goes again:

The one that is very clear to me though is when I was working at Kmart a bunch of my coworkers and I discovered that there was obviously an error in the system, and we got a bunch of items for a penny, because they were ringing up as a penny. This was about 12 years ago. I am guessing they were $1 items or $10 items that accidently got put in the system as 1 cent. The items weren't anything that great, but still, stuff for a penny from a retail store. None of us ever got in trouble for buying the items. We also used our employee discount cards to save 10%!

I don't think it's theft, legally in some places if an item rings up in the register as a price the store has to sell it to you at that price no matter what the price is. It's not like we changed the prices of the items in the system then bought them, we simply found items in the store that cost a penny and then purchased them. Any customer could have done the same.

I frequently scan items I think might be on sale in retail stores, especially Kmart, often I find a very cheap item this way, especially if I scan older items or items that have been on the shelf for a long time.

Now if the store was more organized they would have pulled the affected items until they repriced them, but obviously no one in the store cared enough to do that.

At my store penny items are usually taken off the racks but sometimes they slip through (usually if they are left by a customer at a random shelf or on some kind of special display area). If a customer brings one up, we have to let them keep it. However, we cannot let them go back and get any others that were on the shelf.

Usually, penny items are discontinued items that should have been sent back/trashed/donated to make room for new stuff.

A year or two ago or so I found Uncharted 2 at a garage sale and, not having a PS3 yet, went to trade it in to Gamestop. After the transaction is done and I'm in the car, I realize that the guy rang it up twice I went back in and asked about it and the guy said there's nothing he could do about it. So I ended up getting $45 for UC2, when they only sold it for $40. (There was like a 50% bonus at the time as well.)

Best example I have: When Halo Reach Legendary dropped in price at gamestop (which I think the supposed price was gonna be 60 or 70, can't remember) a pricing error in their system made them 19.99, new. I went out that evening and picked one up for 19.99, from a girl that I couldn't stand anyway (very ditzy, always giving out wrong info to customers, rude). So when it rang up as that, she was confused, but gave it to me anyway. I went home and found out that there was actually a memo that went out that morning to employees telling them not to sell it for 19.99. I noticed she didn't last very long after that as well.

Worst example of this: I ordered 1 copy of Prometheus on blu ray from amazon. They sent me 3 copies. I emailed them to tell them of their error, and they said to just keep them. Man that movie sucked. I think amazon knew they were ripping me off :(

Some of these stories are just borderline theft. My favorite ones are where the total comes up way less, and then they pretend like they don't notice until later. "I bought a 20 ounce drink and a TV. A week later, I realized they didn't charge me for the TV."

bread's done
Back